Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

FPzero posted:

I just hope that theres eventually a better indication that we should build tools. I mean, it's completely my fault for not seeing the Stone Pickaxe in the crafting list, but I seriously thought that my first pick was going to be the copper one and spent over an hour digging with the Matter Manipulator before realizing the stone one existed. Again, completely my fault but the tutorial never mentions anything and just sort of dumps you off with the beacon boss quest.

Well, I mean, it is day two of the "unstable, expect poo poo to blow up frequently" beta stage. :v:

Just, IMO, phrase things that are deficiencies of the tutorial as observations, not complaints. Not until the ostensibly "stable" beta phase, anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Genocyber posted:

I really wish I didn't have to do the tutorial bullshit every time I start a new character. I don't mean the quests, I mean grinding for cobblestone and wood to get the basic tools and enough plant matter for armor and bandages. Takes a good 30 minutes at least.

If they're in the same universe, can't you just leave them a care package crate from another character?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

FPzero posted:

Of course. But that's why I mentioned it. Maybe it can be fixed in a patch to help people down the road.

Yeah, that wasn't directed at you, per se, and more just to the general "you". :) I imagine the team knows there's deficiencies in the tutorial and intro questline, but they were fixing things with the game until the very second they said "okay, seriously, just push it now, we'll patch in a few hours".

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

The Crooked Warden posted:

I apparently unlocked an Energy Dash tech, but I can't figure out any way to use it.

Double-tap the direction you want to dash in.

Edit: assuming you've equipped it, etc.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Enzer posted:

Maybe, but the type of examples you give are all "Came more or less prepared, I even got my tent packed up! :haw:" when the game portrays it as "I don't know what the hell I am doing my ship is out of fuel and I'm going to starve to death. :stare:".

Exactly. It feels like the 22nd-century version of "oh god my jeep is out of gas and all I have is a swiss army knife, I'm so hosed".

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Tengames posted:

The whole "caveman" thing kinda falls flat when you start with a space ship, 3d printer, and a high tech matter manipulator, and you have to use said manipulator to cut down your first tree, and mine the stone for your first pickaxe. if it can do all that, why cant I just freaking use that instead of having to bang rocks together for progress?

You can! Very slowly.

A cobbled-together pickaxe is going to dig things faster than a swiss army knife, and that's basically what the MM is.

Edit: And Tiy basically said as much that later, unimplemented tech tiers will have direct upgrades to the Matter Manipulator.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Holy Cheese posted:

Anyone else get framerate problems? I set all of the .exe to run as admin and that seems to have helped but, seems odd to have such a problem with a 2d game. Not too worried as obviously this is beta so things will change.

There's apparently an OpenGL-based executable which may help. Otherwise, yeah, beta non-optimization. :)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Revol posted:

edit: Patch notes, got some good poo poo in here.

quote:

- Ufos should hopefully not fly off anymore, they were actually flying off to attack birds! (done)

That both explains so much and is a funny bug. :allears:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Okay, so, whomever it was that posted in the document about the pirates at Alpha Umbraxian 1207 II, holy poo poo thank you. These guns are insane.

They look bitchin', too.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Holy crap, they weren't kidding when they said the pixel costs for armor was getting slashed! Silver Armor is only 60 pixels for all three pieces!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

A.C. posted:

9236086, 72611326
Beta Cursa Minoris I a
I found a Gravity Bubble tech (go right until you reach a second Flesh Forest) - does anyone know how to use it?

edit: Holy poo poo it's a jetpack, jump again in the air. It can fly infinitely!

Oh my god and I just kicked the UFO's rear end. I need fuel, stat!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

poo poo, trying to get to the Gravity Sphere in just-beat-the-UFO gear is insane. I feel like I'm trying to do some sort of sequence break poo poo.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Orv posted:

That in addition to the new Snow Trooper armor

Wait, what's that?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Orv posted:

~30 leather on a loom, better than silver.

Wow, sick.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

So I feel stupid. How do I activate the Morphball tech? Yes, I've learned the blueprint/equipped it on my ship/have it selected. I still don't turn into flower-Samus. :(

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Stew Man Chew posted:

What's the goal behind building the beacon / summoning aliens anyway? Do you continue to progress to a Bigger Beacon? I've seen a lot of people bitching about it but not anyone talking about what then happens.

Spoilers maybe, I dunno I'm just curious.

When you kill it, it drops the material needed for the next level of anvil, which you can use to build the thing that lets you get to the Beta sector.

Mustang posted:

What kind of equipment should you have to face the UFO? I'm in silver armor but lvl 6+ stuff can still gently caress me up pretty quick. I haven't managed to find any good weapons at all either, they're all garbage. Stuck using a poopsword that poisons people.

I had full racial Iron armor + a 10 ArPen sniper from that planet that's in the gdoc.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Speaking of said awesome warmth armor, may its current awesome state rest in peace:

quote:

Coming tonight..

- Major work has gone into making the game work correctly onto windows XP (done, needs testing)

- Fixed (nerfed sorry), Snow infantry armor (done)

- Make matter blocks discover-able in a new dungeon (done)

- Experimenting with a new leveling/damage/armor curve (Thank you to Chewymouse) (done, needs testing)

- Complete ore rebalance (working on it)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

IAmTheRad posted:

I think he's lowering the armor amount on it, and not the warmth amount. In its current state, there is no reason to NOT use it when it's better than silver. Might be better than gold, but I don't have gold showing up.

Oh yeah, I imagine that's what it is. It's outrageous but drat will I miss it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

dvorak posted:

You can actually get the robe and hat, so now the search is on.

I have the hat and the top half of the robe, but not the "pants" for the robe.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Daktar posted:

I don't care how murderous they are, Florans are adorable.

Yes, yes they are.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Skuzal posted:

I hope you like duping platinum because it is not currently spawning in the gamma sector.

Some guy made a fix for this on the forums: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/fix-for-platinum-generation.38736/

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

As long as you don't actively attack them with weapons, they don't care.

Also this game is seriously pretty.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

A.C. posted:

This is definitely a good fix to use, though I don't know if it will affect visiting planet seeds - it's worth nothing though that platinum is not necessary to progress, the progression path goes Steel -> Titanium -> Durasteel. Platinum enables a tier of weapons and armor, which in all honesty are still too weak to beat the third boss with, so you're probably going to want to cheese him anyway, and if you're cheesing him your weapons/armor don't matter.

So is Durasteel a thing that you can do in tier 3, or do you have to finish it first?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

AndroidHub posted:

How do you actually use the mech tech? I have it selected and I just have no idea what to do with it.

Try hitting F. That worked with the Morphball tech.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

-I'd like a way to use items in the inventory screen as opposed to putting them in my hand slots first.

Other than clicking on the item in your inventory and then clicking on yourself, you mean?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Yeah. That's something pretty unintuitive and very poorly telegraphed to the player. I'd like using something like E / middlemouse to instantly use the item.

I tried it instinctively because that's an easy way to use items from your inventory in Terraria, but yeah, E/MB3 when hovering over an item in the inventory to use/equip it would be nice.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Damo posted:

Well I found them, and they do sell guns and other cool stuff, but they are all Armor Penetration 1. So pretty much useless at this point since I'm able to do level 5+ planets. But thanks though, wanted to check out the sky pirate stuff anyway.

If anyone has the coordinates on a good level 5+ gun or merchant that sells em, please share.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kHix192pKvjA2Q5PSuU7zNMuaRxqN2B1N718t4FWmwk/preview?sle=true

That gdoc should have what you need. :)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

McDragon posted:

Florans have the best things to say about Apex propaganda. The "Obey" one has something like "Floran not obey dinner" and the "Big Ape" one has your character thinking that Big Ape is probably a big, tasty ape.

Also, Banana propaganda is wonderful.

"Silly ape flu, Floran will eat you." :3:

Florans are the best I swear to god.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Rather Dashing posted:

So what kind of kit should I have to realistically take on the boss? I summoned him for the first time with Scavenger armour and the axe that you can craft. I wasn't expecting to win this time around but the hits I did land didn't even make a dent in its health and two hits from it killed me. I can't see any more weapons to craft on the anvil, despite having a fair bit of silver and some gold.

Go to the threat level 10 planet in the gdoc that has avian pirates and buy a bitchin' sniper rifle. That + the tier 1 racial armor (or the snow infantry armor) should be enough, and especially if you have the Dash tech.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Hagop posted:

Any one got coords for a alpha sector 8-11 AP gun dealer

X= 59877410 Y= -70634402
Alpha Umbraxion 1207 II

Should be TL10. I believe you go left of spawn.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

James Totes posted:

How do you set a new respawn point when you beam down from a ship? I wanna keep this place thats a little out of the way.

That is unfortunately not implemented yet.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Unbound posted:

Dumb question time! I beat the UFO after hours of pounding my head into a wall for far to long, I kill it. Now, however, I can't seem to figure out what to do with this Molten Core. If the game did tell me, I have long since forgot about it and the quest log for it isn't much help. What do I do with this thing?

You combine it with your anvil to make a more advanced anvil.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Rather Dashing posted:

What does the snow armour require? I don't see it in my crafting lists.

It's made at the Spinning Wheel.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

qnqnx posted:

So, is it just luck or is there a condition for a superior brain to drop?

Just luck.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

lohli posted:

Is there a way to have different players play different tracks in sync with eachother? If not, does anyone know if there are any plans to implement a way?

I think you'd need to name the .abc files the same thing, and put each player's "part" in their own file but with the same name? Then just use the band functionality.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

THF13 posted:

Make sure it isn't in your hotbar at the top of the screen, or equipped.

Or the second inventory, for that matter.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

An easy way to deal with the loot planets is to randomize the contents of chests from a different seed. This way you can still share interesting and awesome looking planets but the loot you find there will be different for every person.

Well, it already is, aside from techs.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Motherfucker posted:

The sheer amount of flavor text they've already added is pretty astronomical, to add a whole bunch of inter-player interaction rules like that would be clunky and difficult at best.

Would it, though? It just seems like it'd be a "if $RACE is the authority on $INVESTIGATED_ITEM and race other than $RACE inspects it and a $RACE is within a half-screen, automatically act as if $RACE inspected it (the closest member if multiple are present".

Then again, anything sounds easy in arbitrary pseudocode, so what do I know. :shobon:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Motherfucker posted:

Yeah in theory, now multiply that over the literal thousands of existing items all of which have variable and unique meanings to each character and you start realizing the actual scope of the project. It's already pretty amazing that the majority of everything has eight separate inspection descriptions.

Oh yeah, I get that it would be fairly time-consuming, just that the hooks for it should be fairly simple to implement. It'd be the "race X is authoritative for items 1-200, race Y is authoritative for items 201-400, etc." that would be the annoying part. I get that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

pwnyXpress posted:

Surely you're kidding? I found a harmonica, violin, keytar, clarinet, saxaphone, electric lead guitar, and I know there are plenty of others like the microphone, classical guitar, trumpet, pan flute, and probably more. What do you need to be satisfied, a full symphony? Somebody mod this goon a set of wind chimes and some timpani.

There's also steel drums. I think I'm going to miss those most of all when the reset happens.

Edit: Also an oboe.

• Locked thread