Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

SymfonyMan posted:

Well take heart then because I can't imagine this not getting a season 2. Word of mouth should spread pretty soon. Thanks for answering the animation question too. Glad to see I made a good choice to switch from Flash since the coloring in Rick and Morty is great. The pupils in their eyes kind of drive me nuts though!

I really love this show, and I think it's great example of how both writing and art in animation can work together to create something hilarious, but I agree about the pupils. Something is very unsettling about them. Is there a reason for their odd design?

Also, not that I'm complaining, but, does anyone know why Adult Swim is posting these on YouTube? I can understand having their content up on their own site, or the first episode on YouTube, but having the whole season up with no commercials seems kind of unorthodox, even for a network like Adult Swim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Corte posted:

This is definitely the scene that hooked me in, something hilarious about the ravings of a lunatic taking advantage of his dim grandson.

Same here. I wish there was a video of that scene being recorded in the booth or something. It must've been amazing.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

kadjule posted:

I certainly was not expecting to ever see Crumply Crumplestien again.

:nws:Unbelievable Tales:nws: which is somehow even more disgusting than Doc and Mharti.
I love this show, and Justin Roiland seems really talented, but I think he's definitely someone who benefits from the creative confinements television puts on you compared with the internet. I get what he was going for there, but it wasn't particularly funny. It was worse than Doc and Mharti, which it really does make look tame in comparison. Doc and Mharti was funny, if not sustainable for an actual narrative.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I love the Meeseeks saying their catchphrase in the heat of an argument. They're just compelled to do it.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Somehow, this show outdid the deeply disturbing attempted rape scene in the span of a week. Rick & Morty's probably the best show on TV right now.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I want more of the teddy bear who can spin spider webs.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 15, 2014

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Cerony posted:

Does anyone know where I can find that early commercial where Morty turns around and he's not complete? I've been looking for it but haven't had any luck finding it.

Here you go.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMEvIvNBu-Y

Summer/Spencer is a loving babe... dayyyymmm

Justin Roiland really wants to know where Craig Harris went.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Justin was recording for his Dota announcer pack in character as Rick and Morty today.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

PassTheRemote posted:

It's really cool, but they've already had a number of crossover eps this season with Family Guy and with Futurama. This really reeks of desperation and "Look, we're still relevant".

So if they avoid mentioning "in" things, they're irrelevant, and if they do so they're "desperate"? If desperation makes things as funny as the Rick & Morty couch gag, then all shows should be that desperate. That was great.

What's great about Rick & Morty is the premise is so malleable that it can do ridiculous crossovers like this (and the upcoming Dota one), and they don't clash with the show's established rules at all. I kind of want to see both of them barge into other fictional worlds now.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 15, 2015

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Typical posted:

I drew that Slurm machine

Awesome! Nice double crossover. I also noticed a Planet Express in the background, did you have a part in that?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

Its clear they're trying to make the shows seem emotionally deep, but honestly, I felt the pathos was unearned.

I think the show is close to earning it, but missing in small ways. For example, I don't know if I totally buy Rick's affection for Morty in the premiere as it seems a little of out of left field. Likewise the concern he shows for his grandchildren in the newly leaked episode was surprising, and the argument between Beth and Jerry was kind of awkwardly expository. That's not to say that these first three episodes aren't good; they've been really funny and entertaining, with some room for improvement in the domain of earning these "emotionally deep" moments.

Considering Dino Stamatopoulos' relationship with Rick & Morty (through Starburns) and Dan Harmon, I really think the show's staff should look to Moral Orel for how to turn something that on the surface is very silly and funny into something dark and poignant.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jul 29, 2015

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

The alien mic drop moment in the leaked episode is a perfect example of when and why it doesn't work. Having someone just stand there and soliloquize about why these two people are lovely and lovely together isn't any kind of shocking reveal, and there isn't even any schadenfreude at seeing them get busted down because we've already listen to the two bicker for something like half the episode and all you want is for all of them to just shut the hell up so we can get back to the manic-depressive space-man hijinks.
The alien's monologue was rather lazy writing, and seemed like something out of a worse sitcom. The idea of it being a horrible monster delivering that speech to subvert that kind of television writing crutch wasn't really enough to keep it interesting. I hope the show learns to handle these moments better because I like its intent with them.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Rougey posted:

Jesus Christ. :stare:

Was it me, or did Rick deliberately euthanize the thing he unfroze before trying to kill himself?

I mean I sort of get the feeling that he could have just been testing it, but... goddamn.

I feel a little embarrassed, but I'm not really sure what was occurring in that scene before the credits.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Typical posted:

ayyye. thats my bug drawing.

I'm a little late to say this, but I wanted to reiterate what everyone else is saying. Your work is really great. I was also wondering what Hazo asked:

Hazo posted:

Can you go into a little detail about how you all eventually settle on a design? Does the prop team sit down and vote? Does the art supervisor choose? Does Dan walk in and pick one like how George Lucas wanders into a room and points at the model he wants?

All those timeline detecting devices are really interesting and cool so how do you decide on the one that's used? Were there any factors about specific ones that made them clash with the show's design? For instance, I would imagine Rick's devices can't look too polished or professional, but then again, I obviously don't work on the show.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Wrong thread, sorry.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I left the dorkiest message possible, and asked Justin to add me on Steam, and Dan to do another live HarmonTown in Philly or NYC. I hope by some slim chance Justin adds me so I can play something with him and hear Rick berate me live.

The bug soldiers were from the pilot right? And weren't some of the aliens, such as the newscasters, Andy Daly's character's species? Killing off Daly's character was probably the worst thing in the season; it was a total waste of potential for future cameos. Also, did no one notice that the guest stars were Battlestar Galactica's James Callis and Tricia Helfer? Callis was definitely Tammy's dad, and Helfer was almost certainly the anti-depressant bot. It'd make sense if Helfer was Tammy's mom too, but I don't think she was.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 5, 2015

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

Were Tammy's parents played by Gaius Baltar and Caprica 6?

I thought she only did the anti-depressant bot, either though it would make a lot more sense for her to have voiced James Callis' character's wife. Tammy's mom didn't sound that much like her, but she easily could've just been doing a different voice since that's what voice acting is...

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Yep, that one caught me by surprise recently too. I wonder if it was like the quick line Rick says about Annie's "puffy vagina", which Harmon and Roiland said they added expecting the censors to take it out, but they didn't.

A lot of animated shows apparently toss in some stuff intentionally for the censors to cut, so they get to leave in the other jokes that censors would focus on if they didn't have racier stuff to distract them.

Adult Swim generally has very lax content standards for its productions. I really doubt they run into many objections from the network. There's a 2012 interview with Eric Andre where he said one of the only notes he ever got from the network was that he could show himself making GBS threads so hard that his organs fell out, but could not seem like he was intentionally making GBS threads them out.

Edit: I found it. Apparently Adult Swim doesn't like him mocking Jesus or committing suicide either. Generally though, they don't seem to care.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

no, nobody on this forum gives a poo poo about sutter or murphy, two shining examples of being giant shitbag showrunners

the only other example of a showrunner being brought into a fraction of the scrutiny that harmon is is moffat, and that's because doctor who fans are...awful

I only ever followed the AHS: Coven thread, but I remember that having a lot of posts about how lovely Ryan Murphy can make shows get.

• Locked thread