Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I think the most charming thing about this show is how the voice actors will gently caress up sometimes (deliberately?) and they just leave it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Goddamn, the screenplay thing was so accurate. Every writer I've ever known has said "Don't just tell me it's great because we're friends, tell me what you really think!" and then you do and they immediately get defensive and butthurt about it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

My favorite cliched line from the screen play was "Hot, but she doesn't know it".

:agreed: That was so dead-on, it had to be Harmon getting some things off his chest.

Krinkle posted:

"this, is not her day" how do you film that? What does that mean in what is supposed to describe a film? Is she going to blow her bangs back and roll her eyes and I'm supposed to read "wow, not my day" in her expression?

I can't tell what is part of a bad script like what that guy did or what all scripts do and it's up to the director to figure out the details.

"This is not her day" is a character note and would be an actor's choice in how to portray it. It's really up to the director to tell them how, but the actor can put their own spin on it.

I think the point of all the criticisms in the episode were that everyone thinks they can use these techniques to good effect, but few really do. Just like anything, a talented writer can use flashbacks or voiceover or in medias res really well, but most suck at it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Broken Loose posted:

Were Tammy's parents played by Gaius Baltar and Caprica 6?

Yeah, spotted that right away and then the credits confirmed it. James Callis has a very distinct voice.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Steve Yun posted:

Season 3 premiere is just going to be a new adventure and they're going to pretend the cliffhanger never happened.

Probably, or they'll resolve it in the first minute. It's funny to see reactions to dramatic plotlines on this show. I'm not criticizing or saying it's bad or anything because I enjoy it a lot, but I know the stakes are never really high because they've created a world where New Ridiculous Thing can get them out of trouble at any moment and nobody on the show is the "original" character, not even the titular ones. It's like whenever a character died in Aqua Teen Hunger Force, you know Frylock had a cloner. To me, it's funny when they put in high-stakes plotlines because of that, not sad or dramatic. Using arguably NIN's angstiest song as a soundtrack just highlights that it's not meant to be taken seriously, and the epilogue of "How are they gonna get out of this mess!? Hoo-wee!" clinches that. It's a goofy-rear end 4th wall breaking deus ex machina show and I love it for that.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I liked Metalocalypse's arching plot, though it really took its time to kick in. The 22 minute length was only one 10-episode season though, and advanced the plot about the same amount as their regular seasons. It went back to 11 minutes after that.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
What's your favorite episode in the show's run thus far, and why?
Gotta go with Total Rickall. It starts as a slow burn and becomes all out insanity.

Who's your favorite side character?
Fart. Partially because it's a funny and interesting character, part because it's Jemaine Clement.

Do you have a favorite joke/gag/line from the show?
The butter robot.

What's your least favorite episode, and what could have been done to redeem it in your eyes?
I'd say the pilot. All the hype disappointed me but I stuck with the shaky beginning. That's to be expected though since the first episode of nearly everything doesn't have its groove yet, so I don't know what could be done to redeem it.

pookerbug posted:

Also, that was a good episode and this is a great show. The minutiae some of you loving whine about...

It's funny to watch people take a show with a character called Mr. PoopyButthole so seriously just because it has mild continuity.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jun 17, 2016

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I mean the super serious moment had the angstiest song they could've possibly picked outside of a Smiths album and then the credits tag made fun of you for getting all sad and dark about it. So if you want to keep feeling that way about it, fine, just don't tell people who didn't take it seriously that they're objectively wrong on the internet, the worst crime in all of space.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Yeah, cob planet is a hell of a lot funnier if the joke is that they never explain why they can't live there, and everyone just takes it for granted that they can't because cobs.

Not everything has to be :lost:.

Zaphod42 posted:

I saw an interview with Harmon where he said the President of Cartoon Network (or maybe it was just Adult Swim IDK) was a huge fan and pretty much went into the board room to fight for their rights to do whatever they want every day. He even called him like "the hero of the show" or "the savior of the show" or something like that.

But America also seems to be much more accepting of cartoons marketed to adults now than it did a decade ago.

I remember the one thing that made me notice the transition of Adult Swim from pushing TV standards limits to just being accepted as adult-oriented TV.

In an early episode of Sealab 2021, someone asks Sparks where he gets his money, and he says "Selling pot...holders...made of hemp." In a later episode he does a callback and says "Selling pot... That's it, just selling pot." It was the point where I realized they didn't have to be coy about things like that anymore, where back in 2000 when it first came on they really had to be more subtle about it because S&P was tighter.

Aqua Teen highlighted this pretty well with a gag once, featuring George Lowe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqnNURx3Y6Q

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I feel like the cold open with the butter-passing robot is the perfect microcosm for Rick: He's genius enough to whip up an intelligent robot for a specific purpose in mere seconds, but he's monster enough to give it painful self-awareness of its own limited existence.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

starkebn posted:

I don't know about starting with it, but that is my favorite bit from all of the show so far.

I just showed someone that one cold open with the butter robot, but then started them with the pilot afterward. Getting someone into it with short clips of individual jokes seems to work pretty well for me in introducing people to it.

For me, I got overhyped before watching the show so the first couple episodes felt underwhelming at first (though I like them more after rewatches), but Anatomy Park was what sold me. On a dick joke, no less - my first huge laugh of the series was the giant dickshadow on the mountains.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

CelticPredator posted:

It's a parody of the Freddy song

Which is clearly a takeoff of the DMX song.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I don't know why, but for some reason one of my favorite lines from Interdimensional Cable is "The moon...it comes crashing into Earth, and what do you do then."

It's just so final, like it should stop there but it doesn't. It cracks me up every time.

Megaspel posted:

Yeah, you can just buy the physical blu-rays.

EDIT: for serious I wish there was some industry standard so you get that poo poo with a digital download or something.
This is why I will always have a soft spot for Ron Moore. He did every single episode of BSG while it was running and released them as weekly podcasts. When the DVDs came out they put his podcasts on every episode as producer commentary tracks.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Season 3 sneak peek via San Diego Comic-Con R&M panel!!! Don't look if you don't want spoilers!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-xREfdihtY

For some reason I've always liked when fight scenes utilize the concept of "use one of whatever you're fighting as a weapon against the other things you're fighting" so this scratches that itch nicely.

Speaking of unfinished storyboards, I happened upon some of the deleted scenes the other day and I have to say I liked the original ending for the Stealy segment a lot better than the finished episode.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I picked up the Total Rickall card game. It's pretty fun, though I haven't played the advanced rules yet. I love that you can't shoot Sleepy Gary if anyone's played Jerry during that round.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

El Jeffe posted:

Just gonna post this again in hopes of getting a yes or no answer this time:
The answer is still :iiam: because nobody knows.

I do like the idea from the comments in the one fan analysis that Evil Morty is the C-137 Morty. If he abandoned that universe but did something to screw it up like he did with the Cronenberg Earth, it could make sense that the Morty who survived whatever cataclysm went down has some big plans. Especially if he has access to all of Rick's stuff.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Managed to get a full 5 players in the Total Rickall card game. The game was fun with just 2, but it's absolute chaos with a full board of 10 characters. Still haven't gotten the chance to play advanced mode where one or more of the players can be parasites, but it's a great party game for a relatively simple premise.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

lifts cats over head posted:

Yeah, it's a pretty good game that even non-Rick and Morty fans I've played with find fun.

I typically show people the episode beforehand if they haven't seen it (with the added explanation that Mr. Poopybutthole has never been in a prior episode), both to give them an idea of the series and to give them the full context of the game.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
IC2's channels were a bit more uneven than the first one, but still good. I like the material in the deleted scenes for that episode better though.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Hemingway To Go! posted:

america is already schwifty (making GBS threads on the floor)

Does that make Trump Mr. Bulldops?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm assuming when they showed the montage of all of Rick's catchphrases in Total Rickall, "Lick-lick-lick my balls! Yeah! Say that all the time!" was a Doc and Mharti reference.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Rutibex posted:

What a pile of trash. They should have made a Rick and Morty Dominion, or maybe Love Letter. Who even plays Monopoly any more?

Rick & Morty Smallworld would be amazing.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Skellybones posted:

You're now imagining Jerry smugly bragging about how good he is at board games while in the background Rick's eyes narrow.

Meanwhile Jerry's supposed prowess in board games refers to ones you can't possibly gently caress up, like Snakes & Ladders or Candy Land.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Venture Bros is probably the best bet for similar humor style.

Although you can easily jump right into Archer, it's fun to give people context for it first by showing them the old 70/30 shows like Sealab (until Captain Murphy leaves) and Frisky Dingo/Xtacles. Also while you're on Sealab, it's a good time to introduce him to the finer points of the classic Adult Swim lineup with Space Ghost/ATHF/Sealab/Harvey Birdman.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Mr. Robot is great. Eat a butt. And not a good butt, eat a bad butt.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Rutibex posted:

Invader Zim doesn't just have the same horror sci-fi themes, the characters also have the kind of twisted alien morality that Rick&CO enjoys.

I dunno, an alien stealing schoolchildren's organs and stuffing his body with them to appear more human definitely touches on that sensibility.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Hey, 50+ new posts. I wonder if there's info about the thir--

:yikes:
:livintrope::nignog::crossange::palmon::kamina:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Duckbag posted:

This joke was tired as gently caress even before TV Tropes got to it.

I have to say Lost did the "characters were always here" gag the best. Two characters showed up out of nowhere, everyone kept asking who the hell they were, then it turned out they discovered a bunch of poo poo on the island before anyone else, and finally got accidentally buried alive by the main cast. It was so morbidly hilarious.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Nah let's just keep talking about last season. Hey guys remember that screaming sun, that was great.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I've seen a lot of pictures of Meeseeks pumpkins lately, which is going to cause some confusion because there's a big campaign this year where people paint their pumpkins the same color to signify their house's candy is non-allergenic. Rick & Morty is going to kill some kids this Halloween.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Also, congrats on being the shittiest block in the neighborhood for every other kid.

They should add pennies to that list.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

kalensc posted:

You'd need to buy out a few local hatcheries in order to have a sufficient supply for the egging that person's house deserves.
Hook up a fire hose to a high pressure tank of molasses instead. Bathe that house in sugar.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I want season 3 to have just one episode that's all Ball Fondlers and nothing else. Maybe a framing story of Rick and Morty watching it but that's it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

It's interesting how without the ship overhead and R&M standing in the foreground, this is a pretty standard stoner doom metal album cover.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

KoRMaK posted:

Polygon gave me nick and griffin as a team. They're funny youtube videos are great.
Justin and Griffin's Monster Factory series is fantastic.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Getting the new series in 2016 seemed wildly optimistic when it was first announced, so no surprises here.
I mean, Mr. Poopybutthole did tell us it would be at least a year and a half. Suddenly nobody wants to take our long-time family friend at face value?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Just re-listened with the volume up. Rick on 9/11 said "Oh my god, oh my god, [it'll just be] an excuse to chip away at our freedom!"

• Locked thread