Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
edit: Wrong thread!

ComposerGuy fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Casimir Radon posted:

My grandma's church stopped calling their thing a "Halloween Alternative" and call it Fall Fest now. It's still designed to keep the church kids off the streets from 5-10PM on Halloween lest they go out and have some fun, but they dialed back the culture war a little bit. They still hate Santa though.

This is wide-spread now. "Fall Festival" is the go-to term for a lot of churches these days.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Cognac McCarthy posted:

It's not strictly the same as the Christian films we talk about in this thread, but it's still pretty hilarious:

Deception of a Generation, an expose on the evil of Satanic children's toys and cartoons from the 1980s. The Satanic Panic is a fascinating thing, and I don't think there's a whiter person than Phil Phillips, who comes on screen for the first time around 3 minutes in.

This is life changing. God I love 1980s era production design. It's what I think of any time I hear about stuff like this.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"Other than C.S. Lewis"? Have you read That Hideous Strength? Straw atheists, straw feminists, straw everything Lewis doesn't like. I seem to remember (cannot find cites, so it could well be folk history) that Lewis was one of the people in the Inklings who was adamant about excluding women.

Pretty much. Tolkien was merely a sort-of cranky old man by comparison.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
With "God's Not Dead 2" opening tomorrow, this seems like a fine time to bring this topic back. I intend to see it this weekend for grins, and also so that Clarissa can Explain It All to me about Christianity and government strawmen.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Ensign_Ricky posted:

God help us all if "PureFlix Animation" becomes a thing.

It costs too much money to produce anything more well animated than, say, Veggie Tales, so this is thankfully unlikely.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
PureFlix is not resting on its laurels with the smash God's Not Dead 2, as they've got a new theatrical release coming in February named after a ten-year old country song by Rascal Flatts:

God Bless the Broken Road

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=devqBLHvyjw

*ACCLAIMED* director Harold Cronk of God's Not Dead *and* God's Not Dead 2 fame helms this sure-to-be inspiring insta-classic.

No word yet on whether or not David A.R. White will show up to play the role of David A.R. White for the 26th consecutive time.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

coyo7e posted:

Is Rascall Flatts a christian group? I just thought they wrote lovely love ballads that let the lead singer with the weird-rear end nose belt out the big notes

Not explicitly, more in the way that like half of country bands are. They were with Lyric Street (a Disney label) for like the first decade of their career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Samuel Clemens posted:

I don't know, I can see Silence becoming popular in church circles. It's not like these groups are fundamentally opposed to mainstream films with overtly Christian themes. Otherwise, they wouldn't have flocked to The Passion of the Christ in droves.

Passion was kind of a unique case, though, and it was still technically an indie film (Gibson financed the whole thing himself and no major studio wanted to touch it).

• Locked thread