Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

From the related items :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJZQbVFzWmo&t=227s

Poor fellow. You can see that he's worried about the big guy.

He is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

The camera vehicle was at worst a minor annoyance at the beginning, though it reacted in the worst possible way to the Accord's dumbass provocation.

Anyway, at least it wasn't this, jfc :gonk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKx-iDeceac&t=80s (from 1:20, if it doesn't jump there automatically)

jfc indeed

fairly certain the occupants of the Toyota (?) are nothing but paste

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

dpidz0r posted:

My 8 minute test drive generated a half gig of video and I'm too lazy to compress it (plus it's a bit crappy since it's dark), but here's a screencap of what the camera is seeing:

Your camera is mounted just high enough so that the top of your windscreen obscures a significant portion of the view ahead as well as traffic lights

how will you be able to prove that you did indeed have a green when some cave-dweller blows a red and t-bones you?

in related camera-news I recently picked up one of the Moebius HD cameras. I got it primarily for use on my model planes, but the firmware does have some features that would make it useful as a dashcam. (Loop recording, auto-recording at power-on, etc.)

I velcroed it to the top my passenger headrest and recorded my drives to work and back. Picture quality is outstanding - no difficulty in reading licence plates from up to two carlengths away. Very Gopro-esque, minus the bulk.

I have the version with the standard lens now. I am planning on getting another one with the wide-angle lens anyway, so I'll add a windscreen mount to that order.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E03rhR1HQQI

Sample footage from my Moebius cam. Card is a Sandisk 32GB class 4. I haven't received the proper windscreen mount for it yet, so I've velcroed it to the top of my passenger-side headrest.

(view in HD for best results)

(yes we drive on the left here)

Very pleased with the picture quality so far. I have noticed that brightly lit objects do have a tendency to wash out at certain angles (like licence plates) especially at night. The camera's configuration app allows a fair amount of customization, so I will tweak the lighting range controls and see if that helps any.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

I've heard that it tends to overheat.

I've had no issues with mine.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

spog posted:

and it even comes with a little lens cap to protect it in your pocket.

The first day I received my Mobius I managed to lose the lens cap. I've managed to keep the lens safe from damage so far, but I'd certainly like to find a replacement that doesn't come from China.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Horse Divorce posted:

I got three when I got my camera.

Thanks for the offer! Emailed.

BTW these cameras are pretty durable as-is. I lost a prop off my quad yesterday - the copter rolled several times before smacking the ground. Only scuffed the case. :)

http://youtu.be/zDPeZvnuIi8

buttcrackmenace fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 2, 2014

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just realized the significance of the text "STR" in your videos

Dim I am

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Wickerman posted:

I was on my way home just about an hour ago and in order to do so, I have to get on the interstate. Well anyway, before turning onto the on-ramp I looked to see what traffic I should anticipate before merging, only spotting a van in the far right lane. So, I turned onto the on-ramp and headed down to merge into traffic and saw the van start to come up behind me quickly, so I slowed down since he has the right-of-way.

So what does the van do? Maintain speed? Speed up? Absolutely not. The van comes to almost a complete stop in the interstate blocking me from merging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb9wveBhfKo

PS: The camera is on the passenger side of my car and skewed to the right. So when it looks like I'm driving like poo poo, it's not as bad as it looks.

you were merging into a construction zone, and you both slowed down. I can understand the van_driver not electing to speed up and potentially collect a $$$ ticket.

Lighten up, Wickerman.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Laserface posted:

The police could request the CCTV footage from the carpark to sort it out pretty quickly.

Odds of police taking an interest in a non fatal accident on private property?

:allears:

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

Or spins if it happens midcorner.

don't lift don't lift don't lift

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Oddhair posted:

I've got the Mobius with an added super capacitor and even leaving it in the Texas heat, it's only once let me down.
Haven't had any other reliability complaints, nor heard of any serious ones from other owners.

I have similar setups in my cars. The daily driver has a Mobius with a wide angle lens and a supercap; the truk has a standard-lensed Mobius with the stock battery. I've left that one as-is because I often pull it out and stick it onto my r/c planes and multirotors. Lots of accidental thumps and scrapes, zero problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDPeZvnuIi8

Mods please rename this thread to "Dashcam Thread : Just Get A Mobius With A Supercap"

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

So is everyone buying the Mobius, or is there any reasons not to get the Mini 0805/0806?

unless you need or desire GPS functionality (for speed or coordinate display) a Mobius with a supercap and a good SD card is pretty damned bulletproof. I've had mine in my daily-driver POS Durango for the better part of two years now. Zero issues, it just works.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

8ender posted:

Only a few weeks after my dash cam and I caught my first accident on video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MC0DNBZWY8

the answer is almost always texting.

also : I like the Mr Potato Head on your dash

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

After getting hit by a loving car (and being "lucky" enough to be hit in front of a bar with a poo poo ton of cameras), I'm getting a helmet cam for my bike and leaving audio on. Any recommendations for a cheap and light helmet cam? Battery life need not be that extraordinary.

I went to one of the Mobius reseller sites recently because I needed more lens caps. I keep losing the damned things.

Noticed the "new" Mobius-90, which is a standard Mobius camera with the image sensor rotated 90 degrees - which allows the camera to be mounted on its edge.

https://www.mobius-actioncam.com/store/products/mobius-90-basic-actioncam-package/

Looks like they only sell this version with the standard lens. I shot them a quick email inquiring whether the 90-degree sensor mod can be used with either of the wide-angle lenses - no reply yet.

Also noticed their new "stealth" dashcam package, which uses a different (and much-improved) mount when compared with the standard Mobius windscreen mount.

https://www.mobius-actioncam.com/store/products/mobius-dashcam-package-stealth/

I have a B lens camera and standard mount in the POS Durango. I've been wanting to put one into the Lexus but had shied away because the lovely ugly stock mount.
Ordered a universal mount... looks like its worth a try.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

How long does the battery last on the mobius or the sjcam?

The Mobius in the truck has a supercap and is hardwired for power, so ~20 seconds. :)

My other Mobiuseses all have the older ~400 mAh battery, and are generally good for about an hour. The current Mobius cameras are coming with a bigger battery; they're claiming just over 2 hours of recording time.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

no flatbed tow truck, no problem.

was stuck behind them for a couple of miles. Every time the truck hit a bump the whole lot started wobbling... steer tires were an estimated 6" off the ground at a couple of points :stare:

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

(tim'g, click for gigantic)

I snapped several other photos, but tbqh I was trying to keep a safe distance from that shitshow, as was the fellow in front of me in the white pickup.

It did look like the car had been sitting for a while and had been dragged out of the bush. Flat tires on dented wheels, dented roof, busted glass, grass stuck all around.

Perhaps a drunken rollover?

buttcrackmenace fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 14, 2016

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Kids learning to drift?

between the shity roads and high amounts of traffic? lol doubt it.
(though there are plenty of kids driving slammed cars... there is nothing funnier than watching a slammed Civic imitate a cockroach as they skitter around avoiding potholes)

nm posted:

USVI driving on the left will never cease to amaze me.

every time I travel to the States I spend at least 15 minutes driving my rental car around at grandpa speeds because my reflexes are all tuned to expect traffic coming from the wrong :D side. Then it clicks and I'm fine for the rest of the trip.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FuzzKill posted:

I like how at the end of the video you see someone else crossing over the barrier to get back in the HOV

I choose to believe that person is a Good Samaritan and is stopping to help

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

bolind posted:

Why does it take the fuckers with the ringside seats fifteen whole seconds to do anything? That can't possibly have been a quiet event from that vantage point.

*violence*

*stunned* "Oh poo poo!"

*throws trans into park / neutral + brake*

*unlocks phone*

*dials 000*

*hands off phone*

*runs to help*

Seems about right.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Takes No Damage posted:

I'm in an outside turn-left lane and the dummy on the inside turn-left lane turns left... into oncoming traffic.

Me and 3 of my buddies did this once. After exiting a (strip) club way out in the boonies, real late ant night, somewhere in West Virginia.

(alcohol was not a factor on our end as I was the DD and was sober as a man can be whos just spent a couple of hours drinking $9 redbulls and having titties rubbed in his face)

the intersection which put us back onto the county highway was completely dark - no streetlights whatsoever. it was a 4-lane highway with an incredibly wide and tree-lined median - which due to the lack of light looked like a 2-lane road.

Turned left, got into the RH lane, headed back to the hotel.
(note : this was pre-GPS and pre-smartphone... we were navigating by a paper map)

down the road we went. off in the distance - headlights coming toward us. Closer. Closer. Waitaminute is he oh poo poo THAT MANIAC IS IN OUR LANE WERE GOING TO DIE

swerved off the road. "maniac" passes us, doesn't slow down or change lanes, nothing. I flip the car around to chase the guy down and started flashing my brights and honking because HHOLY poo poo THAT GUYS STILL ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD IS HE ASLEEP HE MUST BE DRUNK HES GONNA KILL SOMEBODY GOD DAMNIT ZERO BARS loving SPRINT WILL ONE OF YOU GUYS WITH SERVICE GET 911 ON YOUR PHONE BEFORE THIS DRUNK MOTHERFUCKER KILLS SOMEBODY

suddenly I realized that (a) the lane reflectors were now white, not red and (b) that the street signs were their normal green and white and not in fact blacked out

... yeah.

Thinking back on it, though, I kind of suspect that the other driver was impaired in some fashion. What else explains zero reaction to a car being head-on in the wrong lane, plus no response to said car zooming up from behind while honking and flashing its lights frantically?

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I had to wait for an iguana once in Fort Lauderdale.

you should have honked

an iguana running at flank speed is one of the funniest sights Mother Nature has to offer

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

never lift

also diggin the username + post combo

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kastein posted:

Seriously, I have no idea why people feel they should do that when roads are for driving on and there are people waiting behind them. I see it every couple of weeks, usually where there is no way around. Beeping the horn gets some glaring and they clearly think it's not their fault.

this, a thousand times this

the taxi drivers here are notorious for pulling this poo poo

as luck would have it the horn on my daily-driver is loud and grating enough that it is impossible to talk over. A short beep gets a jump and a look, leaning on it either ends the conversation or they pull off, presumably saying "that guys an rear end in a top hat" but idgaf because they're out of the way

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
also known as the Startled Cat Maneuver

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URjdeKMvMUc&t=273s

An unexpected outcome

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fo3 posted:

I think a mic can be useful if not at fault. Video may show you plowing into someone at 80, silently, like nothing done to try prevent it. Audio can show your reaction through expletives, that you were paying attention, and your braking etc to prove you were trying to avoid?

the inverse can also be true.

we had a guy submit his dashcam footage to prove that he wasn't at fault for rear-ending one of our fleet vehicles - he claimed that our driver braked unexpectedly and that the car's brake lights weren't working.

our driver stated that he braked suddenly because an iguana ran across the road in front of him.

upon reviewing the supplied footage the following things were evident:

- a big iguana did indeed decide that it needed to be on the other side of the street *right then*. Tahoe? What Tahoe?
- none of the brake lights on the Tahoe were working (WTF, GM)

BUT

did I mention that the guy's dashcam was configured to auto-generate and save a clip consisting of the 5 minutes before and after detecting an impact? Including the audio?

because for the four minutes and 58 seconds leading up to the crash he could clearly be heard dialing his cellphone (manually), talking to his wife, hanging up, dialing his phone again (manually), arguing with a contractor, hanging up, then <click-click-click-click-click> as he texted someone <three carlengths ahead the Tahoe drops anchor, locking the right rear> then 2 seconds of silence then gasp! CRUNCH

Claim denied.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
hard to say who's at fault here

the Corolla for running the red, or the Audi for ramming the Corolla after coming to a complete stop in the intersection ...

also : did you miss your turn?

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

You Am I posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW_OkzChXQU

New Dash Cam Owners Australia crash compilation.

NWS for good old Aussie swearing

Blackvue needs to develop a firmware which automatically saves the clip whenever the word "gently caress" is shouted at sufficient volume

e : aussie version trigger word is "oval office"

e2 : florida version trigger word is "bro"

buttcrackmenace fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 5, 2019

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hikaki posted:

This happened a while ago but I never thought to post it here. Enjoy this satisfying video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM0Sieawa5w

I did something similar years ago. After an extremely long day at the office, I cruised through a red, at speed, through a signaled intersection. No cars crossing (it was ~2AM), no opposing traffic, no cars in my (inside) lane, two in the outside lane. Just so happened that one of those two was an unmarked PD cruiser

naturally they lit me up

I quickly pulled over. before they were stopped behind me I lept from my car, ran back towards them, gesticulated wildly and shouted "IM SORRY! I GOT A CALL!!! MY BROTHER IS SICK!!! IM TRYING TO GET TO THE HOSPITAL!!!!!"

they let me go with a warning

they also followed me for a bit so in order to maintain the charade I drove vigorously (but not recklessly) to the nearest hospital. They continued along once I pulled into the parking lot. I waited a couple of minutes than headed home :)

just imagine trying a stunt like that these days? I'd probably have been shot.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
damnit

guy in a pickup made a u-turn out of the bus lay-by right in front of me.

he fled the scene.

The assumptions are (a) no license (b) no insurance (c) illegal alien (d) drunk or (e) all of the above

added bonus : the dashcam which I purchased specifically for this car is safely at home in its box, waiting for me to get around to installing it :bravo:

goodbye, old friend. You have served me well.

buttcrackmenace fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Aug 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

bird with big dick posted:

Any airbags pop? What hit the passenger side windshield? Looks like more than just the hood contacting it but hard to tell. Passenger airbag hit it?

All the airbage deployed. That damage was done by the passenger side airbag. The only things on the seat on that side were my phone, my shades and a book. The hood is crunched up but did not contact the glass.

I had a little crunch on the passenger side about two years ago which took out the turn light on that side. I just found a replacement off of eBay and fitted it a month ago. Lol.

Nocheez posted:

Those are wonderful cars, sorry for your loss.

I picked up its "replacement" back in July of last year - an '02 LS430 in the same color scheme. Got it from a guy that ran the IT division of one of the larger resorts here. The poor guy bought it from its original owner (in Georgia), went through all the hassle to ship it here and had it on island for just over a month before getting laid off due to our covid shutdown.