Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Opensourcepirate posted:

Aside from mountain roads with "Chains Required" posted and things like that, are there any places where winter tires are a legal requirement?

I think Quebec or Ontario or something have thrown up their hands and just made it mandatory during the winter months.

e: Yup Quebec.
http://www.mtq.gouv.qc.ca/portal/pa...hiver#mandatory

quote:

Information collected in 2005 shows that 38% of the accidents that occur during the winter involve at least one vehicle that is equipped with all-season tires. These vehicles are strongly overrepresented in these accidents, as it is estimated that before 2008, 90% of passenger vehicles were driven with winter tires. In addition, the proportion of the occurrence of loss of control is even higher when the vehicles involved are equipped with all-season tires.

Tires that are designed specifically for winter driving conditions are a safe solution for driving in winter. They are designed to achieve maximum adherence on snow or ice covered surfaces.

quote:

The regulation defines tires specifically designed for winter driving as those that meet one of the following criteria prior to December 15, 2014:

Tires on which one of the following inscriptions appear: Alaska, Arctic, A/T or AT, AT/S, AT-S , Blizzard, Cresta, Ice, INSA T1, INSA T2, INSA TT770, LT, Nordic, Snow (but not mud and snow), Stud, Studdable, Studded, Studless, TS, Ultra grip , Ultratraction or Winter, or the icon representing a mountain with a superimposed snowflake.
Or

Tires that are equipped with studs and used in accordance with the Regulation respecting the use of non-skid devices on the tires of certain road vehicles.
Starting on December 15, 2014, tires will have to bear the icon or be equipped with studs and be used in accordance with the Regulation respecting the use of non-skid devices on the tires of certain road vehicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Betacord posted:

My G1W has started making weird morse code type noises over the recordings, I'm guessing the mic has shifted and is now next to some internal stuff. Luckily the sound recording was pretty lousy anyway, so I've just muted it. As long as the video works I'm happy.

Is your cellphone right next to it?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The Blackvue has a "parking mode" but it's based on a motion sensor and not a G-sensor spike. There are a few videos on youtube of a Blackvue catching hit and run parking lot damage.

Here's a dashcam video where nothing goes wrong.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nZ1VzJnxxQ

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

some texas redneck posted:

It honestly seems kind of like cheap insurance to keep the audio off, at least for me, in case I shout out something like "YOU loving IDIOT WHY THE gently caress ARE YOU CROSSING 3 LANES IN 10 FEET WITH A F-350 PULLING 2 HORSE TRAILERS WITH 30 HORSES YOU loving IDIOT WHY DIDN'T YOUR MOM DO A COAT HANGER ABORTION" (it kind of seems like I might get myself a talking to by homeland security if I kept audio on).

I can just see one of these videos go to court.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

Mine decided that it was no longer going to read my memory card. Sigh... Can I just format the card and hope for the best?

I know the Blackvues usually come with a totally sketchy SD card that needs to get thrown out immediately and replaced with a new one.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

sanchez posted:

BMW does it too. I've had it happen a few times, it seems to require a very specific set of circumstances, I've never had it kick in when it was unwelcome. All that happens is the brake pedal becomes very firm with no travel at all, so your initial press causes a large amount of braking force rather than the pedal moving and gradually increasing brake pressure. It's not like the pedal feels normal but the car randomly decides to stop as hard as it can.

I like the BMWs with the "panic brake light" mode where extra brake lights come on when you hit the brake pedal extra hard. It helps me realize that most modern BMW owners are idiots who leave braking until the very last second and then shove their foot through the floor instead of looking ahead.

They should just replace the extra brake lights with a little flag that pops out from the fender, saying "RETARD" and accompanied with either a comedy kazoo or deflating balloon noise.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ-KA7SCjXI

I wish I could say this was a rare occurrence. Thanks, ProStar!

Also, I swapped MicroSD cards today before I went offroading. It recorded the whole trip, and then the card shat itself. :argh:

It's cool that you got Bill Clinton on your radio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SZFRvuJ2a0

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

two_beer_bishes posted:

I was livid since it has only been in the car for a week! Now I'm torn between keeping it on velcro (need to make it so it won't fall off in the heat again) or make it semi-permanent. My wife wants to be able to take it out of the car when she parks at work and at home, but I can see it being forgotten on the day we actually need to rely on the footage.

Knock out one of the foglights and install it behind the lens in a waterproof enclosure.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Did the cops catch him?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Where'd you get the SD card from? I've seen a lot of really good-looking counterfeits on eBay.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I hope its siblings and mom are also okay. :3:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah those look like a generic hobbyking kind of battery.

edit: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__7571__ZIPPY_450mAh_20C_single_cell.html

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Soarer posted:

Seeing this was certainly a first. I was half expecting to round the corner to a field of elk corpses.

Still time to try for the high score.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I have no idea what happened here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtN2JxaW5IU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

drukqs posted:

Let me just preface this by saying... I had already endured 15 minutes of gridlocked surface streets, (only having traveled about a mile) before reaching this interscection, so I am a bit more angried up than usual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OgM_jrFDFQ

I really wish every dashcam video was like this.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA2I86GHPiU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Laserface posted:

I wish someone would write off my car.

Preferably while Im not in it, and after I take all the good aftermarket poo poo off.

Your insurance companies must move a lot faster than the ones here. They move so slow with claim processing here that you could have the entire car parted out into the bare unibody using only a toothpick by the time opposing party sends an adjuster.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That is an incredible amount of accuracy for someone without the visual ability to see a large white pickup truck or the proper fuckin lane on the interstate.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Kids learning to drift?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Second time I've seen one of these obnoxious LED assholes on the road:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvIC9Ewh_0g&hd=1

This would make the world's best third brake light.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

What the gently caress car even was that? Looked kind of like a Mazda Demio.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah that just looks like a normal cheapo pack. It probably even has a JST connector.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Do they even make manual challengers? I thought they were 100% for limp-dicked failed ska band wannabes who's best days were high school, 15+ years ago, and therefore only available in automatic.

The Charger, no, the Challenger, yes (even in Hellcat form).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

You Am I posted:

It's the monthly Dash Cam Owners Australia compilation video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV2NPTk-IXY

The tow rope breaking at 5 minutes got a legitimate chuckle out of me.