Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fuuuuuuuuck. My boss broke his last year and the recovery from it was no small task. That sucks :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Kinda wish I had one today myself. Just watched a firetruck absolutely haul rear end through an intersection. There happened to be a cop already at the intersection waiting in traffic so the only thing I can think of is that he must've been radioing them that everyone was stopped, because they didn't lift one bit even though they were coming in on the wrong side of the road.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MrChips posted:

That was discussed a little while ago in the Aeronautical thread; the captain of the aircraft had some sort of role at the racetrack (I think he was a cashier or something like that) and decided to do a low pass over the track. Would you believe that the first officer survived that crash?

I like the guy standing in front of the Christmas tree watching the crash, reaching for the extinguisher, then realizing that a hand-held can is literally worthless against that fireball.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Laserface posted:

Low car problems I guess?

The very first time I filled up our Opel GT to start on the drive home, some old gently caress in a Cadillac literally parked his front bumper over mine despite me standing and waving / yelling at him.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Your car trying to educate you on voice commands during the last one makes it that much funnier.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Every few seconds that video gets worse and worse and worse. :stonk:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

It took us hours to get the smile off his face.

It's apparently a game. That person clearly takes said game seriously, or doesn't know someone taped up the back of their RV.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's not like it's impossible to make a good suction cup mount. Whatever plastic iOttie uses for their suction cups is insane. I've had the one in my Ranger up there for probably about a year now and it's never fallen off on its own accord. It is discoloring the cup a bit (was clear, now it's starting to yellow a bit from the AZ sun) but it still holds on.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I had someone pull that on the inside shoulder on 10W, right before the Broadway curve actually starts.

There was a car broken down in that lane ahead of him at the time, too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Got a G1W, only had it on for a few days so far and already caught some poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RczTuYgt9c

Does anyone make a mirror mount that sticks it next to the mirror support, instead of below it? I want to hide it up behind the mirror as much as possible, especially on the CRV since my wife hates having anything additional in her field of view. Or should I get a Mini 801 for her?

To clarify - in the video I have the camera up in that position on the suction cup, I just don't trust the cup to hold long term and would rather use the mirror mount.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 4, 2014

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

I'm using the suction cup mount that came with the G1W and it's never come off. Going on 4 months now.

I had mine get a little questionable-feeling while I was playing with the final location, but we'll see how it goes. My Ranger gets full sun pretty much all day every day, and whatever ungodly sticky substance the sucker on my iOttie phone mount is made of hasn't even thought of peeling itself off. It has started to yellow a bit though!

trouser chili posted:

Aww, it's more fun when you leave the audio on so we can critique your music choices and use of expletives.

I actually didn't say a drat word on this, and if you must know, it was something off of the Super Meat Boy soundtrack. Can't recall which track and I can't get to the file that does have audio on it to jog my memory.

Rukus posted:

Are you referring to this one?

The G1W-C I got from estore009 on eBay actually came with that exact mount. It's really a drat nice piece but at least on the Ranger it seems to hang waaaaay down from the mirror. My ideal mount would stick the camera off to the side instead of directly below the mirror post.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 5, 2014

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Coredump posted:

GAAAHHH this makes me so mad when people do this stupid poo poo. Why couldn't the person merge in behind you to get into the lane they needed? Fuuccckkk.

The really dumb thing is they were sitting at that first light in the far left lane, by themselves. No reason not to take the middle lane and then turn into the correct lane.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

I see this every single day. There is a triple left at my exit for the office, and invariably, someone in the outside lane actually needs to be in the left lane, and/or vice versa at the first light which is a short block from the exit. So instead of just getting into the correct lane for their intended destination, they need to do a double lane change in heavy traffic in less than a block. Never ceases to amaze me.

I know exactly which ramp you're talking about and yes, it is a clusterfuck. I actually avoid that whole stretch of road if I can because it's just a drat mess.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

gently caress

And in case you all want to hear my poo poo taste in music and my reaction to being backed into by some stupid uninsured bitch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2thie6gemb0

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

She at least gave me her name and number (and according to FB it seems legit, I already checked the number) and I've got a witness to boot. We'll see if I get any money out of her for it but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

I was going to put it on Craigslist on Monday. :smith:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

This is either a viral ad for the next Saints Row game or probably just Russia.mpg:
https://www.youtube.com/v/Wnsdc7cTPuU

Ahahaha what the loving gently caress. The fact that there's a ripoff Mickey Mouse in there has me leaning towards Russia.mov.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I really need to get off my rear end and wire up the camera in my wife's CR-V. Just last night had someone decide that a green left arrow meant they could go ahead and go straight across while I was trying to turn left, looked remarkably similar to that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Caught Nissan doing some manufacturer testing the other today.

Michigan manufacturer plates, mismatched paint on the front one, no model badging on the one in the rear (the first photo above).

As far as hardwiring, I have the one above in my Grand Cherokee tapped into the ground and key-on wires feeding my EVIC, so I don't even have wires running up the pillar. The one I'm wiring into the CR-V I'm using the add-a-fuse like mentioned already, I just need to find a longer mini-USB cable since there's fuckall for a straight shot while keeping the cord as hidden as possible up the pillar.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I tried it with my Galaxy Note 2 for a short while but recording video, running GPS, and streaming bluetooth was more than it could handle. Performance got choppy in all three apps and it actually managed to trigger the thermal battery protection.

The drunks you share the road with - watch the left-hand side of the intersection just as the light turns green in my direction. What you don't see after he goes out of frame is that he kept driving next to me until I goosed it a bit, and stayed in the shoulder behind me (seriously angry that I gave it a bit of gas) until the very end of the video when he finally turned off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttdp3jvQzSo

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I was driving, couldn't get a license plate (even in the video), and given that a road rage incident over here ended in a murder just the other day, was focused more on getting away than anything else.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

A tiny bit of an idiot behaving badly. Watch the white Corolla up ahead next to the HOV lane. I witnessed some other assholery that same day but it was on a road perpendicular to the one I was on, so of course not on camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I7w8-ALB9E

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MiniFoo posted:

Right at the very beginning of the clip is my exit, Broadway Road. Sometimes it's pure hell trying to get over two lanes when Loop 202 merges with 101, but that guy had no excuse.

Oh yeah, in rush hour that loving sucks, but at the same time that's all the more reason to suck it up and just stay in the right lanes (or start merging over a mile+ ahead).

This was on a Saturday afternoon :downs:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

I see stuff like that almost every day (sometimes a lot more than once) on my ugly commute. I'm just too lazy to bring the SD card in after work, find it and keep it. Got to love long commutes.

I suppose I should figure out if there is a way to 'mark' spots on the recording on the G1W so I could reach over and push a button or something.

There's the G-sensor, you could just give it a solid flick and see if that marks it non-overwriteable :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Also, I've got to imagine your 37's make a decent racket going down the road. Was the driver straight-up deaf?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Slow is Fast posted:

I've got USB hard wired to keyed ignition. Just need a camera that I can bolt in.

It still needs some sort of internal power so that it can shut down cleanly.

I'll toss in a "meh" on the G1W-C, mine has been failing to boot reliably for a while now. Takes anywhere from one to several power cycles to get past the Welcome screen.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I really wish there was a dashcam that, like a stereo, would take both a ignition-hot and an always-hot line.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hit an Apex posted:

Has anyone put in a rear facing camera (out the back window), would be curious to see the setup in photos.

I might do this with my G1W if/when I replace it with something else up front. My WJ already has a lighter in the hatch area so it shouldn't be too painful to do.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Three and a half minutes of video that will be vaguely more interesting than the guy who posted nothing but him installing and removing his sunshade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgw9wXnf-r8

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The G1W-C is supposed to be fine for high temps, but below 60 it starts getting unreliable at booting up. Annoying as hell.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

aschaef posted:

I bought a G1W-C since it can get upwards of 140F when the car sits in the sun in the summer. I have been happy with the video quality, but have had issues with the camera retaining the date and time settings. I have to reset it all of the time which gets very annoying.

This seems to be normal for them, unfortunately. I just disabled the time stamp.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

A local autocross group does a yearly 'teen driver school' thing that I instruct at. One of the things we run the kids through is full ABS stops, both in a straight line, and while making an emergency lane change. I'd say that 9 out of 10 of them do not get into the ABS until the 5th or 6th run through the scenario, even with an instructor sitting with them yelling to push the pedal harder (and having started the thing by demonstrating ABS with them riding along).

Do you guys get to use the red/green lights that Bondurant uses? I went through that back in December (on the one day it rained of course) and I didn't have too much trouble getting into ABS... because it was locking them up pretty easy on wet rough pavement :v:

The Locator posted:

That seems like a recipe for rear-end collisions to me.

I've felt this kick in on my CR-V all of once. Thanks to learning to drive on my C10 with its godawful brakes, I tend to drive as if I have fuckall for stopping power (I put ~80k on a set of Hawk HPS pads and they were nowhere near worn out) but even then it can certainly be calibrated to only kick in when needed.

The one time it did kick in, I'm pretty sure it helped save me from running into the guy in front of me, so there's that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

nm posted:

Or spins if it happens midcorner.

To be fair, anything capable of doing this also likely has some decent stability control that will just turn that into "plowing straight off the road" or maybe even just save the driver's rear end from their own stupidity.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fair enough, but at least from my limited experience with them (the CR-V is the only car I've driven at any real distance that has this ability) they don't kick in just from a quick gas-brake transition; you've got to be jumping on the pedal a decent bit already. In that case, you're really just changing who gets rear-ended first.

I'd wager your old Fiesta and your Focus ST both have it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, agreed, my point is that unless a manufacturer is royally loving up, a light tap of the brake (no matter how soon after throttle) shouldn't result in max-panic-stop. If Kozmo's really got a car that does that... that's hosed up.

And in the category of fuckheads who don't know what signals mean...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-QilbjSSTk

(also yes I needed to clean the lens of my G1W apparently)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ-KA7SCjXI

I wish I could say this was a rare occurrence. Thanks, ProStar!

Also, I swapped MicroSD cards today before I went offroading. It recorded the whole trip, and then the card shat itself. :argh:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You'd be best off just recording it all normally, archiving to something that won't get overwritten as needed, and then running that video through something like Hyperlapse.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Monoprice just put out a couple of dashcams:

GoSafe 118 720p

GoSafe 520 2560x1080

Interesting to see what reviews look like.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Clip from my commute this morning, with completely inappropriate music dubbed over because pretty much nothing happens. Just odd to see a truck that Nissan has already pulled the wraps on, still partly camoflaged for what must be some form of emissions testing or something (it had some sort of sensor zip-tied to the exhaust pipe).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdGxG3cPJGE

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

blk posted:

Time to buy a dash cam.

Everyone needs one.

I installed my second G1W-C on the rear of my WJ facing backwards, since my wife won't want to deal with rebooting it manually as needed. I've got a Cobra dashcam for her and a magnetic mount for it since the suction cup that comes with it doesn't stick to anything, and is huge.

Of course, while I was futzing with it, I noticed the suction cup on my front G1W-C was looking a bit brown... the next day it's hanging by the USB cord. Looks like right about a year is what to expect out of a cheap suction cup in the Arizona sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

nm posted:

Australians always sound like cartoons when mad. Which is funny here.

Yep.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PK2cbQR16Q

No stupidity in this one, just fun with the sudden nature of the weather here in Phoenix. Loop 101 from around Thomas to US60ish last night.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHTRSwQVJMo