Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

the most terrible guitar is one that isn't played, idgaf what it looks like if you're loving making music and improving yourself through playing it

the second most terrible guitar is whatever that guy in Creed played

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

voodoo [...] audiophile nonsense

protip most tours have a guy sitting backstage with protools and an amp modeler on a macbook pro and all the 4x12 marshall cabinets are completely empty

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

like a horse

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

Of the three working/once working guitarists I know, I have the smallest collection. :v:

Nobody really cares how many guitars you own, only how pretentious you are about them. I mean gently caress, I have five sitting behind my couch but i don't pretend that my 1968 gibson falcon amplifier is any more special than a laptop and dsp running an amp modeler - if anything it is far more limited in potential and far more expensive to maintain than if i just sucked it up and bought a JBL box and a programmable modeling head.

and seriously, i can count on one hand the number of touring professionals i have encountered that had speakers in those 4x12 cabs stacked behind them. poo poo is set dressing and nothing more, computers do all the hard work and extra guitars are just for changing tunings - those modelers can make a strat sound like a humbucking les paul and you wouldn't know the difference if you didn't see it with your own eyes.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

i unironically use danelectro pedals and duncan designed pickups come at me bro

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

Nobody cares how many guitars you have (but I have five right here behind my couch but I only bring it up because...)

You don't like it? Aw, that hurts. Don't begrudge Lowtax his $5.oo.

Come with me if you want to live.

hold on let me take a picture of all of them because

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

^that

international owl day posted:

u just got burned like u never been burned before lmao great burns by dr.fatso tonight

truly a burn master did u see how he called out my not caring lmaoooooo

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

White Dog Eggs posted:

I've repaired a fair few Gibsons and the quality control is horrible. I've seen at least 4 guitars worth over £1000 that have fret issues (I have no idea how they put the frets in, but they weren't flat and it looked like they never had any levelling done, the fret buzz was insane), plastic nuts on £600 guitars, super-thick varnish and the inevitable head-stock issues.

It's bascially a 1930's jazz guitar shrunk down and made solid. There is not enough wood behind the peghead so they tend to rip themselves apart when dropped. Also, the top pickup is in the wrong place on the 22fret models which is why they always sound so muddy (in fairness this is a problem with most 22 fret guitars), it's also got a glued-in neck which is great if you want a warm sound, but horrible if you want anything else (try playing a country song on a les-paul if you want a laugh).

Actually it is really kind of sad, Agile makes better sounding, better quality Les Paul-alikes than Gibson makes Les Pauls, and they charge loving pennies for them.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Fair Hallion posted:

hey thread what's your stance on Airline guitars. Fugly? y/n

I would buy them. Of course, the first electric guitar I ever wanted to buy was an epiphone les paul custom in cream with gold hardware and triple humbuckers so I am probably not the person to go to on "good looking guitars."

And I still want a fender jaguar in seafoam green.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

We need hellbans again, can someone make that happen?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Mr. Sharps posted:

how do you feel about synthesizers with handles built into them??

All the best synths have handles, simply by virtue of being 19" rackmount modules that are often racked in road cases.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

BetterTasteThnU posted:

I have it on good authority you can lighten that right up by cutting a handle into it.

A handle. In the neck. Right through the 4th, 5th, and 6th frets.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

30 second chunks of 3 bars of something passable as music that then devolve into an uncountable number of bars of atonal noodling in a time signature of π/ϕ

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Gerty posted:

I'm not going to read this whole thread, but... yeah the wood and internal structures of an electric guitar changes the way the strings vibrate, which changes the signal created by the pickup, which changes the sound when it comes out of the amp. So like the wood type matters, whether it's hollow matters, if it's hollow then the bracing inside matters.

I've got a bridge to sell you.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Gerty posted:

I'm not into to any of that dumb expensive poo poo, but if you think you can take a pickup out of a strat and put it in an acoustic and it won't change the sound, you are very dumb and wrong.

Okay let me give you an analogy. You are standing 10 feet in front of a lit 10kW floodlight on a navy base at high noon. Now light a candle. Did anything change?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Gerty posted:

Well yeah, but that wasn't really what I was talking about. I used a more extreme example of an acoustic guitar. The strings on them actually vibrate much differently than a solid body guitar, so if you put a pickup in one it will sound different. Those pickups they make to put in the sound hole are basically the same thing as in an electric guitar, they only sound more like an acoustic guitar when plugged in because the body of the guitar changes the vibration of the strings.

Yes but that has jack poo poo to do with the wood. Apart from the thought experiment of comparing a guitar made of balsa to a guitar made of lead, you are not going to hear a difference from the material it is made from.

corgski fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 27, 2014

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Dewgy posted:

to be honest it probably does affect qualities of the tone like sustain or how much the strings resonate off each other but the shame of it is you can slap a huge pricetag on something and suddenly "it affects the tone in a nigh imperceptible way to human ears" becomes "it sounds better like this and you know nothing"

The differences between a bolt on, set, or through-body neck are several orders of magnitude greater than the differences between particle board and mahogany.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Dewgy posted:

not if you count in dollars

Hence why I've considered building guitars for bluesdads for a living.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

A guitar with a 150ms attack and a 5ms release.

• Locked thread