Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

This, but not joking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

man thats gross posted:

lmbo dude okay i can't take this anymore

nobody, and i mean NOBODY, is reading your posts for any reason other than to find ways to troll your rear end

the one and only time ppl were laughing with you and not at you was the beetlejuice pic

nobody gives a poo poo about ur guitars or ur HOT LICKZ or anything, all they care about is the fact that youre a complete dork and youre easy to rile up and you absolutely cannot resist posting in this thread twenty times a day

this is the one and only time someone is going to respond to you for any reason other than to bait you

use it wisely

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Odinsgrace posted:

I actually see this bass all the time. Its really popular for some awful reason.

When I was 16, my music teacher had one of them hanging up and he couldn't get it to sell.

Eight years later, I went back for lessons again, and it's still there in the same spot.

e: Every time I go into his shop it just looks at me in shame. I kinda want to try it out but I'm afraid I'll like it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Dr. Faustus posted:

Shut up, japanu~~ princess. My guitars are gorgeous and you identify with ... whatever that Japanime crap is. I win by default.

Stop posting.

OP your cello bass guitar thing makes me really uncomfortable to look at. I hate you for creating/owning it but at the same time I kinda want to try it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Spanish Manlove posted:

man that thing is hideous

Before I knew who owned it and thought it was just a random image, my honest, unbiased thought was that it was loving ugly and stupid, but the fretboard would be kinda cool if I was a woman or something I guess.

Seriously, the color is just awful, and that's ignoring the handle.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

HollisBrown posted:

Y'all are just jealous of his sweet chops

People like Dr Faustus is the reason I stopped playing music seriously.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Dr. Faustus posted:

No, really, the very wort guitarist snobs are at least 100,000x better in every way than you basement-dwelling panstu~~ fantasizing "japanimation" cartoonophiles all put together.

Kill yourselves.

Every one of you deserves torture and then ritual death.

*Does sweet sweep arpeggios all up in my face*

Man now I sure do feel dumb.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

I don't know what it is, but there's something about this guitar that actually makes me feel ill.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist posted:

Can we still post ugly guitars itt or is it just another jazz-fusion and gear sperg thread?

NO

NONONONONO

THIS DOES NOT EXIST. I REFUSE.

gently caress.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I mean seriously.

Look at it. LOOK AT IT.

GOD DAMMIT

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Spanish Manlove posted:

it's llike you're in denial of rule 35: if it exists, there's a pony or anime version of it

I try to give humanity the benefit of the doubt.

Or at least tried to, until I found out that people exist that jerk it to a children's show.

e: Someone, somewhere, jerked it to that guitar :gonk:

Renegret fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 12, 2014

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Tempus Fugit posted:

:hf:

If anybody reading this thread wants to get rid of their ugly Cybercaster, don't PM me or anything. I unironically want one.

I think I still have some of my grandparent's old furniture laying around if you want to commission White Dog Eggs to make you one.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I didn't really mean it as an insult, I was being half serious.

I really like that dresser though so I'm not taking it apart.

e: It's ugly as gently caress though, but it's real solid.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

hahaha

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Mineaiki posted:

Using bass players for examples of ugly musicians is kind of cheating.

Yeah well gently caress you too :(

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Tempus Fugit posted:

Not you pumpkin, everybody else but you.

:)

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

mclast posted:

White Dog Eggs and I been in talks to make this a reality

gonna get my own station waguitar :3:

Congrats on your commission I guess but I can't overstate how...uncomfortable that guitar makes me feel. I don't know why, I get really on edge every time I see it.

e:

axolotl farmer posted:

This guy is Spike Jones. He was a novelty act band leader in the 1950s. He mostly conducted and played percussion: pots and pans, car horns, washboards etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be7O9g2sphw

Jesus Christ suits were hideous in the 50s. I hope they come back in style.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I didn't play for SA. Because I don't play guitar. But I still think Dr. Faustus is a narcissistic tool.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Cobalt60 posted:

Holy poo poo is that TEN pickups? Best to date was 6, so you take this one:

Thread Challenge 3: Least relevant materials for the job at hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDN1UbFyVwQ

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Bill Posters posted:

Jeri Ellsworth's C64 Bass. Actually uses C64 electronics to process the output.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kDhpFaf4EY

Oh my god.

I wan this so bad. You have no idea.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

HollisBrown posted:

I had to look up the Travis Bean.....

Yup I always hated that guitar, never knew who made it

You could tell me that guitar is sponsored by JCPenny and I'd believe it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Painted with only the most finely tuned tonelacquer.

Personally I think a guitar sounds better with a fine tonevarnish over a tonelacquer.

e: Aged for 18 years in oak barrels underneath the rolling hills of Scotland.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Dewgy posted:

from my personal collection, because i finally got it playable again

TONE

e: vvv oh yes give it here, i will make all the sounds

Why the gently caress are electric violins so expensive. I've always wanted one to play around with but holy poo poo I am not paying that much for one.

e: Also I don't think that's too ugly except the bridge looks like it was never shaped and there's no good way to mount a shoulder rest.

e2: What the hell Amazon has a bunch for under $200. For some reason I was under the impression they were like $800 at minimum. I might think about picking one up...

Renegret fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 29, 2014

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

White Dog Eggs posted:

Electric Violins are seen a joke by almost everyone :shrug:, it's a pity really.

I actually made one when I was starting out and no one would even look at it, gave it away to a school after a few years and the music teacher told me that no one touches it unless there aren't enough 'proper' instruments (his words) to go around. Blah.

That's really sad :(

The reason I'm suddenly interested in one is because I really want to start playing violin again but it's too drat loud even with a practice mute and an electric instrument sounds like the perfect solution to that.

Dewgy posted:

that one was like $110 five or six years ago and i don't know what the hell i'm doing is why the bridge isn't shaped

If you have the old bridge, just trace the shape with a pencil and sand it down to the proper size. Otherwise hahahaha good luck, I guess you'll have to find a professional because it's absolutely loving miserable to do yourself and get right

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Dewgy posted:

no clue where it is; though i taught myself to do a guitar setup fairly well and bridges are cheap so i might just screw around with that

i've been playing violin for all of 48 hours so honestly it works fine enough for me so far, i probably should have leveled the feet out a bit more though

also astrobastard them's some ugly shits but i'm really curious as to how all of the not electric ones sound; weird shapes do cool things to acoustic tone sometimes

Unfortunately a violin setup is nothing like a guitar setup, and unlike a guitar it's not really playable with a half-assed bridge. If you don't sand the bridge down correctly you won't be able to play on individual strings, and you're not supposed to have an even curve either. The E string is usually lower with a steeper curve than the G.

They make violin bridges the same way as guitar nuts (too big with the expectation to be cut to size), not shaping it before installing it has similar consequences. You can find a pre-shaped bridge that will work but I think it's a lot more expensive.

I made one once and it was absolutely miserable.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Dewgy posted:

frankly i think with a half assed setup i can call this thing a fiddle and get away with it

Make sure you over-rosin your bow and never clean the fingerboard once.

Or better yet, just grind some rosin on and start caking it on the fingerboard so it looks heavily used.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

skudmunky posted:

Speaking of ugly electric violins, I made this during my last year of high school.

Useless cutaway? check. Extra string? check. Gotta get that C string for warm viola sounds :3

Pretty much a testbed for my handwound violin pickups. Sounds... alright, but it is almost unplayably heavy.

If I ever get around to making another one there's a whole bunch of functional things I would do.

oh my god that extra string is really, really bothering me. It hurts to look at.

Otherwise I like it but gently caress that extra string. I'm imagining playing it and ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

White Dog Eggs posted:

There is an old violin ("not fiddle, violin") player who drinks at one of the pubs I got to, I like to wind him up by taking about putting guitar tuners on his violin, for some reason it works him into this charmingly inept old-man rage "Guitar tuners on a violin??? I'd sooner let you put tits on my dog, at least I'd get some use out of them you stupid bugger". He still goes up on open mic nights too.

Tell him that the internet thinks he's wrong, because there's nothing quite as terrifying as tuning an E string using the pegs while you're holding it up in the proper position and guitar tuners would solve that problem.

e: I love listening to guitarists complain about tightening their E strings. Hey listen, at least it's not inches away from your face, plus with wodden pegs you usually need to overtighten it because most pegs are going to slip a bit after you let go. And if you use peg drops it's just as bad, instead of the peg slipping, you really have to muscle it to get the peg to move and you're worried when you finally do get it to move you're going to overshoot your target and snap the string. Plus the shorter length means it'll snap sooner. That string has a lot of tension.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 30, 2014

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Concatenation posted:

Well as luck would have it:

This is the Djentstick, one stringed fretless low tune instrument i've made myself featuring an active EMG81 pickup thru a Line 6 Pod XT.
All the audio was recorded only using the Djentstick!
Believe it or not!
Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhOYflyfOPM

yeah that's pretty cool but I feel like you'd get better tone out of it if you used a stick of balsa wood instead.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

man thats gross posted:

wtf is this guy talking about

"i wanted to play guitar so bad as a kid i started every year from the time i was 6 to the time i was 9"

started what man? started loving what?

"i spent a lot of time practicing things that didnt sound AT ALL like music. you play a D or a G chord for WEEKS, and it just doesnt sound like anything you signed up for"

1. what the gently caress do you think music sounds like?

2. weeks, seriously? maybe im misremembering what it was like when i started playing guitar but if youre spending weeks, plural, just practicing ONE chord, you might have retard brains and idiot fingers.

3. what the gently caress did you think you were signing up for? H chords?

im p. sure this guy doesnt know what a guitar is and spent his childhood practicing music on his moms dildo or something

I think part of his complaint was that you have to do boring finger exercises and you never get to play any songs when you first start playing music. So basically what he wanted was for someone to tell him where to put his fingers so he could play Stairway instead of actually learning how to play the drat thing. Ignoring the fact that boring exercises is how you get good enough to play the music that you like.

Also he's just a loving idiot in general.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Declan MacManus posted:

japanese based companies that copies the designs of fender and gibson wholesale while using the fujigen gakki, hoshino gakki gen, and matsumoku woodworking factories to produce bomb rear end instruments at cheap prices, examples include
-ibanez
-esp/edwards
-fernandes/burny
-aria
-yamaha
-greco/goya/kustom
-tokai
-takamine

and most of those companies still produce wholesale copies of fender and gibson guitars in japan because copyright law is funky (basically you can infringe upon others' designs as long as you "improve" the original design which is nebulous enough that you can do what the gently caress ever)

the end

tl;dr: japanese guitar companies own

I know I'm late to the Japanese party but for content:

I'm looking to buy a new bass and my teacher whips out this Japanese made Fender J-Bass that's a billion times better than what I have and he bought it wholesale for like $150. The only reason he still has it is because he mostly sells to students and I'm the only one stupid enough to take bass lessons over guitar.

It almost feels wrong to play an instrument that good for that cheap. I feel like as soon as I pay him for it, it's going to fall apart or something, like when I'm driving a used car off the lot.

e: my only problem with it is that it's boring to look at, but for that cheap I can deal with it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

I Might Be Adam posted:

$150 for a working, reliable and non-offensive looking bass guitar that is better than what you have? Go for it.

I'm probably going to, I'm going to give it a try next week to make sure it sounds good. My biggest problem is space, I don't have a lot of space to have multiple instruments laying around.

I also have a hard time getting rid of old instruments. I still have my first piece of poo poo violin from when I was 15 years old and I should just loving donate it to a school or something because there's no reason for me to have it. Every single one that I have ever owned is my baby and I can't let them go :(

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

That's a nice dog but his fur isn't long enough for me to make a violin bow out of, 3/10

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

We've had a distinct lack of this guy lately and I'm just doing my part on fixing it for the new page.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I approve of the Guitar Crew title change.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Zonekeeper posted:

The title says 'music equipment' now, so it's open season on lovely instruments of all kinds in addition to guitars. :getin:

Good, since I don't play guitar, and it lets me post this that I found on Craigslist:

I don't care if it's dated for the 1800s, it's still stupid.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'd feel weird sitting that close to the couch from Pee-Wee's playhouse.

TONE CARPET

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

unlawfulsoup posted:

In that case I highly suggest Dr. Faustus's Handle Grease (Steve Vai Approved) to cover the most lucrative market segment.

It's both literal and figurative masturbation cream.

• Locked thread