Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Dirt posted:

The boutique pedal market is basically nothing but people cloning the like six same loving pedals, and reboxing it. Kirk isn't wrong.

Yeah it's almost entirely the same famous pedals with slightly different resistor/capacitor values (or different materials because *~tonez~*) and no real innovation.

Like don't get me wrong tweaking resistor and cap values can do a lot to change sound because that's how band filters work but it's not really designing something.

disclaimer, I own a fancy boutique distortion pedal i got it used for way cheaper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

There are a couple ways of picking where you can hit the body, mostly with your fingernails though. It gets scratched up instead of the wood.

Fender style guitars use the pickguard to cover things up because they do top-routs and attach the electronics to the plastic because that way you just do all the electronics assembly (ground wire excepted) on the pickguard then stick it on there. Making things easy to do factory-style was pretty much the Leo Fender Way.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Not a music thing but my all-time favorite signal processing snake oil thing was this PCIe card with some capacitors on it that claims to reduce noise (for video cards plugged into separate sockets) :allears:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

On the other hand, actually having a unified connector is like, the one really good thing about the guitar industry.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Or install a kill switch. Lots of things can help you with that issue, to be honest.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I think my main point is every guitar works with every amp and if people were to try a different standard you loving know Gibson would decide to be a special snowflake and have their own loving plug and contract with marshall to make the only amps that work and are so affordable starting at $3,000, but that lester sound you know!!!!!! TONEWOODS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I can't tell if this would be better if he were playing surf or not.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

reallivedinosaur posted:

Sounds like he's getting some great custom tones.

I got an ibanez s420 off a guy dirt cheap because he said that the pickup selector swtich needed to be replaced, but that he had fixed everything else. The thing was barely audible but I figured I could fix this guys fuckups and get a cheap guitar.

The mess inside the wiring cavity was horrific. Everything was spattered with solder, I went through two rolls of wick cleaning it up. There were different guages of wire, all of it red, none of it trimmed to length. Eventually I got it playing again but holy gently caress it was tedious. Decent guitar at the end of the day but I won't ever buy anything that's been modified again.

Guitar players think 1/4 inch mono plugs are perfect electrical connectors, so imagine someone like that with a 60 watt radio shack iron and a big roll of plumbers solder.

In this guys case I have no idea what he was even trying to do, everything in there was stock ibanez parts. He probably saw some goofy coil split mod on a forum or something.

I did that once :smith:

I got better at soldering though!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I can't remember which Steinberger you have but their website does have this thing so check that out.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The last time I saw Vai in concert was in like the first year of Zappa Plays Zappa, when Dweezil had the group of a bunch of people who played with Frank back in the day. A bunch of cool people and the show was pretty neat, but I saw ZPZ again with the small group back in October and I think it's actually better this way :shobon:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The 81/85s are all identical except for cases. Well actually the Kerry King one has another preamp pot IIRC.

DiMarzios at least are different outputs and stuff?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

Actually the 81 has a bit more treble and high-mids emphasis whereas the 85 is slightly hotter and has a more low-mids emphasis. They both come in identical housing but the EMG logo is slightly differently colored depending on the pickup. Basically the 81 sounds somewhere between a single coil and a humbucker while the 85 sounds more like a regular humbucker. Both pickups have a bit more clarity than passive pickups, but in a compressed, hi-fi, slightly clinical kind of way. If you know what you're doing you can kind of dial out the clinical nature of the sound and turn it into just simply a very clear, hear-all-the-notes-in-the-chord-even-with-super-high-gain kind of tone but it's easy to slip into sterile adult contemporary too if you're not careful.

I meant the various signature sets which are all the same 81 and 85 you can get separately, just with different pot setups so the zakk wylde one has the stuff to wire a les paul pot setup, the kerry king one has the additional preamp on a push pull, etc. I did not mean to say that the 81 and 85 are the same pickup, they aren't. Different magnets, probably different windings, and EMG almost certainly sets the onboard preamp differently.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

fyodor posted:

Sorry I don't know how to put facebook videos on youtube. This guy has club foot, dwarfism and limited mobility in his wrists and still achieved the dream of every bluesdad.

https://www.facebook.com/Brokstar/videos/10209330799570666/

he made the correct choice of not shelling out $3k for a gibson

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah it's all "this is pretty cool!!" and various *~tonez~* things

I currently have one acoustic, a strat-type, a les paul-type, a jazzmaster, and a weird frankensteined hollow thing from roughly the 60s probably though the neck is less certain and I love them all

I pretty much just play the les paul-type the hollow thing anymore, one does crunchy and the other is a clean machine

e: Some part of me wants to blow cash on a set of bareknuckle single coils for the strat type and the rest wants to keep the G&L ones that are in it and this has paralyzed me into keeping it how it is

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

muike posted:

G&L pickups are pretty good so unless you think the Bareknuckles'll give you what the G&Ls aren't, t here's no reason to change.

Yeah it's literally a matter of whether I want ludicrously overwound single coils or vintage wound ones more. G&L pickups are really good though and I'm not sure I wanna throw out that sort of responsiveness that they have. It's why it's so confusing :argh:

e: Honestly they respond to high gain pedals or whatever really well so I know this is just me thinking THAT WOULD BE COOL

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 16, 2016

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Allen Wren posted:

If they just covered the whole thing with that finish, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Hell, if they'd just not drawn a line of where it should have gone to it might have been okay.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I bet that real shell that he fired has amazing tonal properties

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

dick wizard posted:

most ridiculous piece of hardware on a completely vanilla looking instrument.

I still think the Bigsby on SGs looks killer

plus it helps counteract the neck dive

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

crashdome posted:

It's not reliced properly until you've sprayed on some Tone BacteriaTM

...how do I patent the idea of tonal probiotics

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Lord that screws with my eyes to look at

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Dirt posted:

He does tours with just him and a drum machine a lot. But he also plays with tons of other "bands" where it is a full band setup. Just depends on the tour.
I've seen him a bunch in different settings/lineups.

The best was when it was him and That1guy (another solo artist, who plays a crazy homemade instrument) as the Frankenstein Brothers. That was the weirdest/best concert I have ever been to. Or another time I saw him with Brain(Primus drummer) and some bassist I didn't know, as a 3 piece. That was cool as gently caress too.

edit: Basically Buckethead is all over the loving place. He has like 300+ albums(Frank Zappa territory. Frank is my #2 hero). He is a total loving weirdo. But I loving love it. He can legit play every genre of music. like, Metal, to bluegrass, to funk, to Chet Atkins style country, to techno, to surf, to playing slapbass and doing nun chucks and break dancing, and then back to metal , and shred your face off, all in one concert. He does it all with robot like precision. I have seen him in 5k+ seat arenas, and 300 seat bars. He is a character. Music needs more dudes like him IMO

frank zappa the best

dweezil puts on an enjoyable concert too if you just wanna go hear a pretty good band play zappa songs

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I'm the side-mounted knobs that will dig into your leg and change settings if you dare play it sitting down

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

Serious post:
When you turn the thing on while playing rhythm, rock the pedal forward and back on the downbeat. Forward on the down, back on the up.
When you are soloing, kick the pedal forward when you want to accent and stand out, otherwise try to use it to mimic speaking.

Otherwise: DO NOT TURN IT ON.

Just realized I said "Serious Post" as if I ever make any other kind of post.

You can also park it in a position like Frank Zappa did for a quacky sort of noise.

e: Also you can experience the feeling of involuntarily making "wah-wah-wah" shapes with your mouth as you use it

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Stolen from the BKP site (boutique pickups being another Stupid Music poo poo but yolofukkit I like the ones I have)

quote:

Quite often at Bare Knuckle we're asked to provide crazy, out-there things by you guys, the players. Some of these things just can't be done, much as we'd love to (pickups in the shape of a cat idea RIP)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

William F Cuckley posted:

most of their stuff is way overpriced but sinners are legit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmUm9uSMh80&t=122s

You don't need to tell me that, I own a set :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The Sphinxster posted:

Today I read the phrase tonewood denier.

It's me. I am the tonewood denier.

Whenever I hear about TONEWOODS I just remember that Leo pretty much just used whatever was the right mix of durable and available for cheap and his poo poo turned out right

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Barnaby Barnacle posted:

Good lord, I just stumbled across this: http://www.ehx.com/blog/big-muff-anime

You can bet I linked this to my friend who owns a metal muff just so he can go uggghhhh

strangemusic posted:

You can, but she's covered in black goop.

also loollllll

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Fair Hallion posted:

Hey can anyone link or just remind me of the name of the hilariously bad floyd rose previously ITT that had some engrish type phrase on it like "King of music" or some poo poo? I didn't dream this did I. Google failing me.

Overlord of Music

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Steve Vai is kind of a dork and therefore so is his signature guitar, HTH

thread gettin' back to its roots

don't get me wrong I still GAS for one occasionally, I just also think they're just dorky lookin'

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Steve Vai wanted to be a wizard when he was a boy but was forced to settle for being a guitarist

This doesn't stop him from dressing up like a futurist fever dream wizard and nor should it

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

let's all not forget that steve vai did the frank zappa groupie that brought them a lovingly hand-made sphere of her own poo poo

(everyone should read frank zappa's autobiography)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

TheChaosPath posted:

I thought it came out perfectly spherical

E: Also, everyone should read the first half of Frank's autobiography, the other half is a slog of him being real mad about a lot of poo poo

She said it did but Frank recalled there being clearly visible handprints on it

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

So if VINTAGE NOS CLEAN BURNING TUBE COOKED GOLD PLATED 1950s tone dadding is the stupidest music poo poo then what is good and pure in the industry?

Just playing whatever the gently caress you want because it sounds and or feels good to you and not because some heroin addled dork breathed on one in 1967

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

How long until apple starts loading huge amounts of storage and creates iFLAC or something

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Literally every guitar I own has a rosewood fretboard and I'm not even sure why or how this happened

I lust after a maple fretboarded tele it just never seems to happen

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Let's get Elon Musk into guitars

you know, just to see what he ends up making

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Dirt posted:

All Strats/Teles should be Antigua or Surf Green with maple.

That sure is a weird way to spell Daphne blue

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Does that mean I could make the guitar go yipyipyipyip

E: ignoring that I could probably do that with any guitar as long as I chained weird tremolo/delay enough times

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 13, 2016

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Dirt posted:

Squeeze some P90's in there like a real man

I don't know if they will actually fit or not

I mean TV jones makes this p90 sort of creature with filtertron type mounting so probably ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Someone misunderstood what a fender mustang is

• Locked thread