Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
that's an example of the biggest truism in music: you don't need 20 different options, just 3 good ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
that one causes me physical pain to look at

what did you do to that tele YOU MONSTER

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
yeah in case you ever want to throw half your strings out of tune

i was so busy looking at the bridge, the piezo thing (my guess was optical or midi output, and see the screw holding the cable in place? jesus) and the kill switch I didn't even notice there's no neck pickup

a shameful tele

White Dog Eggs posted:

Also I have just finished the 'design' for this guitar I'm going to build, however I've done it on A2 paper and my camera won't take a decent picture of it, so I'll put it into a CAD plan when I've got a bit of free time. This guitar is going to be stupid.

:regd10:

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
he even plays guitar like a sad middle aged man :(

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
man thanks, the solo vid made me sad but that performance in hilarious

love the mic feedback at 2:00 lol

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Troglyfe posted:

This qualifies as an ugly guitar, yes?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MouKtmpJ7dI

this thread is now about guitarists i would proudly murder

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

these idiots let their webpage expire, so this was the best pic i could find, but they make their own guitars out of scrap metal

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
hey gently caress you, i signed up on their e-mail list after they opened for Om around 2006 and still only saw them again by accident. mutherfuckers suck at letting potential fans know they're playing and even their official website is a dead link

also gently caress you, fellow boston music person? we have a leonard lawrence alum itt someimtes too

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

eh i'm trying not to get too really personal itt but i've met your band several times in 2013. failing, i guess

neptune is boston local so i'm guessing noise machine is too

mclast fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 15, 2014

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

White Dog Eggs posted:

I love Danelctro guitars (perhaps not the most versatile instruments but they are loving fantastic for the money), but they have made some ugly rear end stuff over the years;

the one of mine you liked is a baritone, if that makes it any more obnoxious

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

drunk asian neighbor posted:

KING OF THE THREAD

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
heh

mclast fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jan 16, 2014

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
thx for outing yourself as 40 yo or older

VVVVVVV A Good Example

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

BetterTasteThnU posted:

Is that really it? Like there's no actual 'playing the guitar' reason, it's just for posing?

Sorry to srspost but really now I have to know

can you think of another reason?

edit: if you don't play guitar, the answer is no. the weight of the guitar is supported by your leg (sitting posture) or strap (standing posture) so that both your hands can be relaxed and playing the guitar there is never a reason to hold it by the handle ever ever ever jfc the 80ss sucked

mclast fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 16, 2014

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

iostream.h posted:

Nope, that's not my bag of tea.

Haha, close, I'm 38.
I used to idolize Vai when I was younger, his more avant garde stuff leaves me a little cold, but I desperately wanted one of those when I was a kid, still do. They play well and all, and sound really good, but I just want one just because. No big thing.

:sigh: yeah, i know man. i like being right but way to take the fun out of it being all human and poo poo

mclast fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 16, 2014

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
Autism Awareness ribbon should be lovingly inlaid between the 5th and 9th fret lol

White Dog Eggs posted:

Also, I maybe have possibly got a comission from this thread, so yay for new media!

:hf:

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
abe reference? it's a bananahat

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
faustus seems to think that something you chose for yourself, or maybe riled someone else up enough to give you, is a sick burn

meanwhile his selfmade beetlejuice img and selfpurchased beetlejuice av is gonna go down as the saddest thing i've seen on this forum

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Salt Fish posted:

Mods; please change his name to "Dr. Autist". thanks in advance

Faustus good people can have ugly guitars but you are not one of them

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Fax Sr posted:

yo gibson qa aside does the thread deem the 2014 les paul melody maker good or poo poo?

8/10 needs more knobs for that perfect score

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
looking for pickups but i found this beauty

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
White Dog Eggs and I been in talks to make this a reality

gonna get my own station waguitar :3:

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Mineaiki posted:

That's a loving Alembic, isn't it? I know they're supposed to play like butter, but Jesus Christ they look horrible and everyone who uses them either sounds meh (Stanley Clarke) or doesn't sound any different than they did when they were using Fenders (John Paul Jones). Bass players are the worst gearheads out of anyone, and will buy up any poo poo with a $2,000+ price tag.

yes it is, and yes bassists are. the custom ones are always this weird faux-naturalistic style too

iostream.h posted:

Needs some green to be a proper VistaCruiser tho'.
googled them and they own. everything owns

mclast fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 18, 2014

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
need a sideshot is that neckbinding?

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
neck binding = sustain for days bro

seriously i like your.. squier jazzmaster? too

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

HollisBrown posted:

Sweet jesus, this just popped up on the Pittsburgh Craigslist

It's like an affliction shirt threw up on this guitar.

buy this, add a fishman midi control, make dubstep

profit

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
WHOA

*post includes phone number*

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

all these and more available now in the boston area only $800 and up

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

White Dog Eggs posted:

imagine that it smells like my mum's old vinyl record player though.

acceptable, if the smell makes you play faster

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Fair Hallion posted:

looks like his *very* early tone was on a Danelectro lol

Where's Danelectro's "Private James Hendrix" signature model ? They missed a trick there.

:aaaaa:

shoulda been saint's row purple. is that microtone fret spacing or just a trick of perspective?

Renegret posted:

Congrats on your commission I guess but I can't overstate how...uncomfortable that guitar makes me feel. I don't know why, I get really on edge every time I see it.

lol yeah pretty eyecatching innit

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

White Dog Eggs posted:

A friend of a friend recently brought one of those for £600, lol.

Edit: It's got it's own coffin shaped case too. Perhaps the guitar has a tiny vampire inside it.

that reminds me I sold one of these once

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
the guy who ordered it already had a iceman guitar and bass iirc

edit: content

mclast fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 20, 2014

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
WDE if i werent alraedy commissioning you to build me a guitar to play rhythm guitar posthardcore on, i;d be commissioning you to build me a C64 bass to play live dubstep on. drat that's cool as heck

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Do you play around here? What band are you in if you don't mind me asking (since you already know mine!)

heh info on my old band comes with half my life story, so you gotta ask twice. just, big dumb paragraphs everywhere

the short answer is, i'm not playing out yet (prepping guitar/vox/writing after having been a bassist in previous bands) but i should have a short set together around the time my cybercaster is ready

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

I'm asking twice, make with the :words:

Also PM me if you need a bass/rhythm guitarist for whatever, I'm flexible and desperate!

heh alright man, so

i was in The Scatter Gang for about 3 years. it was awesome in some ways, but.. you know that's really where the length of the story is. here's the link, and if any of yall decide to contact the band off that site be sure to say the singer sounds fat, ok? that was recorded in 2011, i'm bass on the first two and guitar on the others

we practiced a lot but not well, played a bunch of bars around boston, started renting a house together and disintegrated pretty fast after that. i don't talk to, even the people i still liked after the initial fallout anymore. don't lend money to friends, kids. i started doing covers at open mic nights within a couple weeks, cause i'd only performed as a bassist before, and since the summer i've been writing a little and hammering my voice into something passable. as of.. maybe a month ago i started writing my own material and i'm starting to figure out what i like

i recorded this tonight, for the thread https://soundcloud.com/alex-oster/the-message-scratchtrack

standard 'it sucks' caveats apply, it's scratchtrack quality with no post whatsoever and the song is only half written, but i'm posting it to show where i'm at - developing a writing style, and with an ok voice with still a lot of bad habits. imo.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

DrChu posted:

I was unfortunate enough to see this jerk last weekend when his "instrumetal" group was on a bill with my friends' band. He had no business playing one six string bass, let alone two. Plus his EQ was all boosted mids, so his tone was as thin as he is fat.

lol wtf is going on there, two fretted six string basses with the same pickups..

jfc WHAT IS THAT

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Tempus Fugit posted:

I'm genuinely confused by this. Are there people out there who hear this and think, "Yes, that's the sound I'm after, this guy is clearly at the top of his game, sign me up." He flat out cannot play and his guitar sounds like poo poo. What gives?

most people do not have taste and merely having an opinion, no matter how bad, puts you in a position to make money. welcome to the music industry, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

White Dog Eggs posted:

I get this happen a lot when I show my guitars somewhere. It's always a guy and he's always over 40 and he's usually some sort of doctor/dentist/bank manager who's never played in a band and just noodles away in his office when he gets the chance. These people are horrible because they will fret-wank a guitar for 20 minutes then TALK AND TALK AND TALK about stupid 'tone' bollocks, tell you how awesome your guitars are, get seriously tempted then decide to "think about it because the wife will kill me" then go and buy a loving PRS instead because if it costs twice and much then it must be twice as good, right?? Arrrrrrgghhhhhhh!!!

lol man, upsell.

whoa, alright. alright.. i don't usually show this piece off, but for your discriminating taste.. i'll be right back. oh this? yeah i could get in trouble for telling you this, but this is the same spec as mick fleetwood's private commission. i signed an nda, really i could get in trouble telling you this. but i can tell you won't be satisfied with anything other than the best.

• Locked thread