Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

stratdax posted:

Playing guitar gets me ultra high action all the time. Feels good man.

Oh cool, you found a picture of me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

ashgromnies posted:

but playing with ultra high action feels like poo poo why would you want that

the only real advantage would be almost no friction when you do vibrato. otherwise you just bought one because it looks cool or seemed like a novel idea. just like any guitar weirdness

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Brown Blitzkrieg posted:

Yo, I hate these songs because the mixing is loving awful and there's nothing clever about them.

I showed it to a professional jazz musician the first song and she said "It's the most boring song you've ever showed me"

Faustus even this fag who hangs out with a bunch of jazz queers hates that song

back to studio time

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Wow! Here's a video of a man who couldn't wait to give a HIDEOUS guitar to Yngwie Malmsteen. The video includes the guy giving it to him apparently suffering the beginnings of a heart attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0NR7PzyKcQ

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

dude why did you get rid of the beetlejuice avatar?? I've had a few and as far as customs go that was pretty cool

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

The poo snake guitar is currently winning this thread because we know that someone thought that looked really good

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

stratdax posted:

I feel this would go nicely with the Sushi guitar I posted earlier

I love this thing!

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Bill Posters posted:

Behold Mothman.

But if you really want to see ugly basses you can just GIS 'custom bass' because bass players are the loving worst.

I don't know what is up with that bass but that chick seems kind of cool if she can actually play it.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Nothing says blues like customizing an SG into god awful hideousness

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

HollisBrown posted:

sweet sweep arpeggios all up in your face

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

stratdax posted:

Another Ed Roman classic

wow, you know there must be people buying this poo poo. They wouldn't just keep making them

I want to meet the people that own these things

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

quit your job

music is life

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

This Koopa guitar is pretty silly...

...but it's from Japan so they can do what they want

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

So PRS are poo poo now? What's wrong with them? They don't stay in tune? The neck warps? Different pickups? What magical thing do they not do now?

iostream.h posted:

They're not, even their SE line has incredible build quality. The whole 'pre-94' thing is by and large a myth. Current production models are easily comparable in quality to the best of whatever Fender and Gibson produce from their custom shops and are extremely consistent from one guitar to the next, which NO other manufacturer can touch.

Oh that's kind of what I thought was going on

ZombieParts fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 8, 2014

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Rhopunzel posted:

i don't think i've ever seen frets like that before, wtf is going on there :pwn:

it's for people with crooked arthritic fingers

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Zonekeeper posted:

Love it when somebody makes a statement like that and undeniable proof gets posted shortly after. :allears:

Remember kids, your favorite guitarists didn't get famous playing a custom masterwork guitar made out of rare tonewoods by an 80 year-old luthier living in a cave on the side of a remote mountain. They got famous playing whatever cheap piece of poo poo they could get their hands on when they were starting out. If you're good, you will sound good on anything.

my spoiled first world hands were offended by the guitars I found here in China but it was impossible for me to convince anyone of my greatness if I couldn't even play a whole song without loving up(and blaming the guitar like a little bitch). So instead of buying an expensive name brand, I bought the poo poo everyone else here plays and my finger strength and accuracy are on a whole new level now. I bought a Chinese strat and a knock off pignose and now I kind of prefer the raw sound

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

That looks like an Eve Online spaceship

pew pew

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

comes along bort posted:

is there a single prs owner who isn't a total herb in love with the smell of their own farts?

did paul reed smith intentionally set out to design and market an instrument solely to dentists and accountants who missed out on their youth?

it looks like a guitar for middled aged business men who always wished they'd learned to play guitar

even in high school the guys that went on about them were the ones who weren't particularly good players

you'd go to their house and they'd have whatever cheap guitar they could find that reminded them of Clapton and they'd say things like "i just plug up to my little 10w marshall...it's all i ever need" or some poo poo. None of those guys knew what the gently caress was coming out of his mouth. I'm like "so you want the most expensive guitar we can buy around here to plug into THAT amp...ok, dude"

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Valtaherra posted:

I found a JEM for like $3000 too hahaha

I don't give a gently caress how hard some old guy farts all over this thread, there's nothing gorgeous about something that looks like my grandmother's wallpaper

dude jimi hendrix had some pants that looked like that mother fucker so youre wrong

or maybe jimi's pants also looked like grandma's wallpaper

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

DrChu posted:

I was unfortunate enough to see this jerk last weekend when his "instrumetal" group was on a bill with my friends' band. He had no business playing one six string bass, let alone two. Plus his EQ was all boosted mids, so his tone was as thin as he is fat.

The "wife hates it, help me pay for this stupid bass tour"

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Jivesauce posted:

I have one of these also, as well as an Epiphone Les Paul. They're both really nice at a quarter of the price or less of the Gibson equivalent. The Les Paul even came with Gibson '57 Classic pickups; I can't imagine why I would ever buy an actual Gibson.

Epiphone and Squier have been on their games for quite a few years now.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

that's pretty much me back in high school - mine was a red kramer dinky reverse. I think my mom said she found my old high school band pics. can't wait to go see that poo poo again

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

unlawfulsoup posted:

Relicing is the worst crap ever. Literally the most poser bullshit someone can do.

i don't even understand the point. i am sad when i ding my guitar.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

aeternum posted:

What a oval office of gigantic proportion.

The trigger hate has got to be the dumbest thing in music, these idiots don't realize that triggers actually makes it harder, not easier.

Trigger haters and guitar solo haters are a remnant of a truly faggy time in music.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Dewgy posted:

yep, make the captain america guitar cheap enough and i might buy it

i can't be trusted with my own money

Me too. I saw the Thor guitar and was like "Wow wonder how much"

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

I Might Be Adam posted:

I've played with a lot of bassists over the years and the best players with the best overall sound were always Fender P or Jazz bass guys. The few others that walked in with some kind of Ibanez or carved-top glossy body with exaggerated curves or angles all sounded like garbage.

Bread Dragon posted:

I'm in bed, posting from Awful app, and generally lazy, so I won't kick this off, but we should be mining the endless resource that is Terrible Guitar Shirts. All guitar shirts qualify.

My first bass was an Ibanez, because I used to think pick guards were for grandpa. I've evolved to the point where anything that isn't Fender-styled or a Ric or possibly a Stingray or Thunderbird makes me barf. This applies to all genres of music, including metal. Major props to the dude from Red Fang for his P Bass.

That's not evolution that's just getting old. Good job grandpa

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Holy poo poo! is that Faustus. you guys got him to post a video?

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

crikster posted:

... violently thrashing the headstock right in my loving face. It was frightening. Greg put his hand on my shoulder with all his weight, that man is an ape.

so how's your butthole. Sounds like you experienced rape

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Ferroque posted:

Having monitors helps everybody tremendously, I really can't stress that enough

Yeah, we go straight into the board with the guitars and bass. Then we put a mic in front of the bass drum and hang another one on a boom over the snare area. Everything sounds great coming through the monitors. The drummer is a happy camper.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

I wonder how many of these they sell

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Three-Phase posted:

You'll have to forgive me, I am not musically inclined.

Is that sort of like how on a lot of music nowadays (how it's mastered) if you look at a song's volume level it's just full-bore from start to finish instead of having an appropriate ebb and flow?

it's hard to tell what he was trying to say. he starts off talking about 20 minutes of mustang sally which is excessively long but then goes on to describe how they 'plow through solos' or whatever. plowing through and 20 minutes don't really add up

what bisiticles is really telling us is that he's an old gently caress and doesn't like young whippersnapper bands who don't thrive on bluesy trills or yell "woo!" and take a long break every time the guitarist does a slow bend or a lick. Instead they just, you know, finish the song. blues dads don't like to finish a song. they want an infinite return so they can stand around stroking their necks.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

The guy on the left is me in high school

Also, holy poo poo! That kid has an Exciter patch - there's a band I haven't heard in centuries

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

i hear that if you're sufficiently good enough at guitar you can get free poo poo from guitar companies, is this real?

No, you need a management company that has those connections.

My high school and college band tried to get the free poo poo on our own. We played shows and got some fanzine coverage that was really positive so we put together a press kit and wrote to all the companies we could think of. We had organized a small tour and thought we'd be able to get free poo poo to do it with. Marshall was the only ones that responded and it was basically just "thanks for using our equipment<insert Marshall history lesson> and feel free to use our logo on your tour advertisements." We went nuts with that so we just wrote "Marshal presents..." or "Sponsored by Marshall Amplification" on all of the show fliers.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

why do you idiots have so many sub categories for your lovely music?

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

fyodor posted:

they should've sent a poet :vince:

ps: this post is bringin us back to the original topic you are welcome

that's really well done

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

how many times has Faustus gone off the deep end about his god drat handlebar guiitars

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Fair Hallion posted:

on a facebook group for lefthanded guitarists, some guy has just very proudly posted his Jem's new trem

so dear thread, is this an improvement y/n

that looks like loving poo poo with those gold vines like that

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Tsaedje posted:

What's going on with those frets?

Jems scallop from fret 15 or something. I thought it was 12 but I dunno i guess.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

I had a warlock that had stickers all over it. my favorite was jessica rabbit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

IronLawnmower posted:

Edit:
I just found this loving thing

If EVA02 was a guitar.

It probably does sell extremely well in Japan.

• Locked thread