Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Actually the whole mid-scoop thing is a mistake guitarists make when they're playing alone. It's when they get with a drummer and bassist that they realize they just can't compete or get loud enough to be heard. It's a simple rookie mistake that probably (I say probably) doesn't make it into actual recordings because engineers say, "Woah woah woah!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

woodch posted:

I love stumbling on this kinda stuff while youtubin around:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km2JcTHGQnQ

I guess this is a throwback to string-count talk earlier. Look what this guy does with just 4 strings.
Awesome. Awesome Music poo poo.

E: I don't even like this song from EJ's stuff, but I recognize what EJ does in his original and seeing it played by this guy: A W E S O M E. By definition.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Thorpe posted:

Make that thing 30" scale and now we're talkin'

I did something stupid today that belongs in this thread
https://youtu.be/rTzmpOjHeZ0
I have no loving clue what I just saw, but it was amazingly cool. Not stupid at all. Cool music poo poo.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GreatGreen posted:

So I'm not a Joe Bonamassa fan and I'm also not big on Periphery. I don't listen to Katy Perry just to hear studio musicians and expensive production. And believe it or not I'm actually lucky enough to have played a Dumble uninterrupted for like half an hour and hated it, lol.

I'm not saying I require ultimate studio fidelity to enjoy music or anything, and some of the best music I've ever heard honestly has fairly lackluster production. Great recording quality and great music are often far apart from each other. I'm just saying that to me, Jimi Hendrix records are particularly bad sounding. I'm sorry if you find that offensive enough that you feel like you need to insult me personally because of it, especially because my original point wasn't to rip on Jimi, but to say that his music was so great that its full greatness couldn't even be fully captured by the limited recording techniques of the time.

I'd also like to point out that vehemently defending the sanctity of a musician by insulting anyone who doesn't worship 100% of everything that musician has ever touched is definitely Stupid Music poo poo.

vvv edit: I got called a Joe Bonamassa and Periphery fan. I'd say that's insulting considering the context. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I knew what you meant, and I'd chime in to agree but it's not a great thing for me to come to anybody's defense, especially in this thread. :)

I will say that at one point all I had heard of Jimi was when that little 4 CD Ultimate Collection (or whatever it was called) came out in the 90's. It had his sanctioned USA record contract albums and I think that's all. I got it because I was working at a CD store at the time. I thought the production was just mediocre, even if the material itself was legit legendary.

Years later I heard a CD of some bluesy stuff he did and I was stunned. It was the ultimate, "So THAT'S why SRV plays so much Hendrix stuff!" moment.
I mean, the tones on that blues CD were bright(-ish) and loud and clear and I almost lost a little respect for my hero Stevie Ray (that's right, I picked up guitar because I wanted to be SRV, not Vai) because it seemed like, just maybe, SRV had ripped his whole thing off of Jimi's blues stuff. But of course SRV's history is much more amazing and awesome than that. I read his biography and SRV was a legit child prodigy.

That's my Stupid Music poo poo for tonight, God Bless.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Thumposaurus posted:

People threw fits when Eddie started working synth parts into VH songs too.
My favorite thing about that is how it must have driven other keyboard players nuts when (hopefully someone with stronger Google-fu can find it) a major Keyboard magazine (Probably, uh, "Keyboard Magazine." I didn't really follow it, I just saw this once and tripped out a little) put out their "Keyboardist of the Year" issue. The keyboardist of the year was guitar super-hero Eddie Van Halen. I loved most of his keyboard tunes, but I thought people who did much more than left-hand octave bass 8th notes with simple right-hand triads definitely existed and were probably super pissed off by that.

I wrote off Van Halen, personally, after F.U.C.K. came out. It was just getting too stupid. That last album with DLR is actually pretty amazing, though. Needs more Michael Anthony, but it's definitely got the right attitude. I read that the material was mostly old unreleased song ideas, and it certainly sounds that way to me.

I'm rambling. Sucks to be a badass virtuoso keyboard player the year EVH was named "Keyboardist Of The Year" anyway.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
SRV lore:

quote:

The band was already a hit on the Texas club circuit, but their 1982 gig at the Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland had brought them a new level of fame. David Bowie saw the show and invited Vaughan to play on his “Let’s Dance” album, and Mr. Browne offered free studio time to the group, which, at the time, was unsigned and unrecorded.

“We didn’t go out there to make a record,” Mr. Layton (SRV's drummer) said of their 72-hour session at Mr. Browne’s studio in Los Angeles. “We just played our songs three times through, live. To us, we were just making some tapes because a cool guy said he’d give us his studio. We didn’t even bring tape. We recorded over used tape. There are old Jackson Browne songs under ‘Texas Flood.’ ”

That's it. They played it live, and the best takes were released as the debut album.

In my heart, there is Texas Flood, and Couldn't Stand The Weather. Then there's Soul to Soul which is kind of a mess. They barely got it finished. By then only the keyboard player was still reasonably sober.
Live Alive is, as mentioned before, a fully coked-out band with SRV doing overdubs to fix his mistakes in the mobile studio van overnight, between gigs, while drinking Crown Royal with cocaine in it; because he had no time for sleeping. That's why his speech during "Life Without You" is such an embarrassing ramble. Nothing recorded after really matters to me. Happy SRV wasn't the SRV I listened to when I was 14, when I decided I had to learn to do that. Whatever that was.

I've mentioned before that I saw SRV at Dorton Arena in Raleigh, NC in like 1987, February I think; and he came out wearing a faded "Hugs Not Drugs" t-shirt and I swear I never saw him open his eyes. I was right up against the fence in front of the stage and was dead center, my friend and I had been there waiting to get in since school let out, so we were right up front. Tommy Shannon nodded at me! :smug: Lonnie Mack opened that night. I was too young and naive to know how truly wasted Stevie was, and I couldn't tell by his performance. It was a great show.

Now, In Step is a good studio album but it does not compare favorably to the first two studio albums. It's too polished and happy and 12-step-program-ish. The first two are the real, blood-n-guts SRV sound to me. Nothing after In Step really matters to me, and that one gets a pass because Stevie sounded so goddamn happy. I loved him. When he died I took it hard. Catching his Austin City Limits reruns was like watching the Challenger disaster again. I still have a hard time with it sometimes. I forget how truly awesome he was at what he did.

I was 14 and Texas Flood and Couldn't Stand the Weather were the darkest, meanest, most powerful thing I'd ever heard (and I'd heard Hall and Oates, friends. AND REO Speedwagon.)

P.S. - Sorry about the meltdown. I got a bit carried away thinking about those days.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 16, 2017

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

The Muppets On PCP posted:

also if steve vai had been born in the 90s he'd probably be in a steampunk barbershop quartet
I... pssshbt... mother... no you can... god drat... look... fbfbfbfbfllll... LISTEN! FFFFfffff... -urp- loving! Take! haaaaaaaaaaghhhhtttttthhh ack

U!!!!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I kinda liked that. I mean, it was derivative of artists (like Vai) who came before but it was decently arranged and had some chops. I'd have that guitar, for sure. I mean, in addition to the one I already have.

But I have to wonder what Vai would have done if he'd been born in the 90's, keeping all other things equal (to the extent that it works for a thought experiment.) He's not going to sound like a Vai clone because there's no previous Vai to clone.

I went to watch that expecting it to be terrible, but actually it was just generic electric guitar instrumental #7,275,993. I've heard worse.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

This thread is really in its wheelhouse right now.
But, like, what if "cat" was spelled "vee ayy eye?"

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

which makes sense given there was one article he wrote about underrated guitarists and namedropped the dude from t-square

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWyOWz0px7E
Hahahaha dude...

I went to watch that and immediately I was in a Namco racing game. Then I realized that the woodwind MIDI controller is, like, an actual thing that probably is in a lot of those old songs from (Japan) Sega/Playstation games back in the day, then the guitarist played a solo I'd be super-proud of if I could pull it off. It was so in-the-pocket and harmonically correct, with just a touch of "here's a guitar riff you know, I'm just gonna put it right here" and next thing I know I'm transported to an imaginary false memory of a 90's sci-fi anime movie I never watched but this was the music over the final credits while I'm sitting there going :confused:.

Then the announcer came in and turned it into a commercial and I think I hurt myself laughing.

Of all the Stupid Music poo poo in the world, this is some of the best.

Alright, Ok, then I watched:

seriously how can anyone not like this dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c55HFO9mwZA
This deserves love. gently caress it. I like this weirdo.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 24, 2017

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

Fun fact: a lot of the style of modern rock guitar solos is actually a side effect of the way musicians' contracts were negotiated in the 80s and 90s. In an effort to create a more "equitable" distribution of royalties for mechanical song rights that rewarded musicians for their actual contribution instead of just for showing up, several record labels adopted a strategy of paying instrumentalists by the note. This resulted in a situation where guitarists and keyboard players were paid far more per song than bass players, a phenomenon which guitarists began to exploit heavily by adopting a solo style that involved picking as fast as humanly possible. Because rights were proportional, a good shredding guitar solo could basically drive a bass player's share in the mechanical rights down to almost zero, which bass players typically didn't fight back against because they're bass players and therefore constantly high and bad with money. Early speed metal was actually intended to be a humorous ironic commentary on the labor issues created by these absurd contracts, but it quickly morphed into its own thing when oblivious fans began treating it seriously as music. Record labels eventually took the hint and stopped allocating royalties based on number of notes, but by that time the shredding guitar solo had become entrenched and fans had actually grown to like it. The damage was done, and guitar solos have never been the same since. The really stupid thing about the whole affair is that a cursory knowledge of music history would have told the labels that this was a bad idea; the exact same thing had already happened in bluegrass many decades earlier.
I find this story so impossible to believe that it must be absolute fact as serene as a clear azure pond. (That's not sarcasm.)

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I am Jack's nervous laughter.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
LOL Ok, nevermind then!!

Whew!

Situation: normal.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GreatGreen posted:

Please turn in your fedora,
Bro, I only wear ballcaps when I'm not going to work.

quote:

bowling shirt,
I know no one who wears a bowling shirt, that's silly.

quote:

and velcro sandals on your way out.
I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW MY NIKE SANDALS ARE AWESOME AND NO I DON'T USUALLY WEAR SOCKS WITH THEM MOTHERF-

As far as acoustic tunes go I've never failed with Pink Floyd's How I Wish You Were Here. I just skip the silly sung-while-played solos and roll back to the chorus. Everyone loves it.

Then I leave everyone scratching their heads by playing RE: Your Brains, Code Monkey, Skullcrusher Mountain, Christmas is Interesting, and Chiron Beta Prime. Yeah, gently caress you, Johnathan Coulton is talented as hell and his Thing A Week stuff is infectious and hilarious and I don't care if you "get it!"*

*This actually happened and my neices thought I had lost my mind and my parents wandered away. WELL gently caress THEM.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 3, 2017

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
^^ Mostly this ^^

I haven't played as many shows as I'd like, but I can say that I've played quite a lot and the hours leading up to the downbeat of song one have always been torture to me. Unable to eat, usually suffering a need to defecate where there are no clean bathrooms, we were supposed to go on at 9pm but had to wait until almost 11 when people started filing in to the bar... it was hell every time.
Then the show started and all the anxiety just vanished. Playing the first note of the set made the fear of playing the set go away, because you were concentrating to make sure you were locked in with your band, making good riffs on the downbeats together and trying not to drop notes (and in our case, singing, too.) There was too much to focus on to have stage fright.

O, there were just a few shows where some drunk rear end in a top hat wanted to interrupt your set but you've got the mics and the P.A., you pretend you care about whatever drunken ravings they're on about but you count off the next song and forget about them.

All of my fear was front-loaded into that "before they turned off the lights" period. After that, it was absolutely exhilarating and almost boring by the second set.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
One thing that some bands find difficult to overcome is that unless you've got a following you're never going to get the majority of the crowd (except, of course, friends and family who want to be there) to agree on what you're doing.
For every guy who loves your cover of the latest thing, another guy will come up and ask why you don't play your own stuff. Then, when you do throw out an original, some other rear end in a top hat will come to the stage and demand you play something they know.

It made my drummer neurotic until I told him we're playing for us and the people who like it will really dig us and the rest are playing pool, drinking beer, and ignoring us.

I mean, poo poo, we hit the scene trying to play heavy prog rock well into the grunge era. We spun our wheels for several years before a) my blues/rock project imploded (drummer decided to start a jazz band, that rear end in a top hat) and I had an opportunity to relocate from Raleigh to Charlotte and dicovered I much prefer Charlotte. When I got here I focused on my new day job and haven't played much since.

My old bassist invited me to sit in at a show his band was playing nearby, their guitarist plugged me into his rig (he had the same Classic 50 I had, so no problem there) and he chilled while I played three songs. It was like old times. It was a loving blast and I loved every minute of it. It was over so fast! I gotta say, when the crowd is digging you it's legit one of the best feelings ever.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

That rear end in a top hat is a great name for a jazz band, though.
You're not wrong.

that may be the worst thing anyone has ever said in this thread
I'm pretty sure ten of the ten worst things posted in this thread were posted by me.

Anyway, Charlotte is superior because they don't roll up the streets at 11pm and you have all the illicit pleasures of South Carolina just a few miles away!
Also I got to go to a Panthers game once and it was pretty awesome.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Pokey Araya posted:

My band just gets on stage with the intention to crush the audience, blow every other band off the stage, and get the most merch sales, and we normally accomplish that. Also having fun on stage will help with all 3 of those.
So, how are you liking Belarus?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I've told the story before about my buddy who went through a serious Zakk Wylde phase and bought four (4) Chinese bootleg Gibsons at just about $250 each. Two were the camo bullseye bootlegs, one was a blonde guitar where the mid-body seam was off-center by about an inch down by the bottom strap button, and a white "Res Paul" that he tried to sell on eBay almost immediately. They kept taking his auction down even though he was truthful about the origin of the guitar. He plastered "This is not a real Gibson" all over his auction but eBay had rules about selling bootleg items and so it kept getting removed. Eventually he did sell it, and also one of the Camo Zakk Wyle bootlegs to people who knew what they were getting but didn't care. He made money on those sales.

I remember asking him, "You do realize that for the $1,000.oo you spent on the guitars, plus the several hundreds more you spent on bridges, tailpieces, pickups, pots, nuts, tuners, and paying a luthier to do all that work for you plus fretwork, you could have bought a couple fairly nice legit Les Pauls?"

His answer was, "Yeah but then I wouldn't be willing to play them as beater guitars on stage." It's true, he gigged with two of them a lot.

This same dude, many years ago just when we were out of High School, had a decal-maker copy gold stick-on Charvel logos for some strat-style necks. He calls the guitar he built from all non-Charvel/Jackson parts his "Charvel" even though the only thing on it that says Charvel is the fake logo he paid someone to make.

I call him a poser a lot, until he starts to take it personally then I leave him alone.

My friends and I stopped him from ordering Fender water-slide headstock logos simply by relentlessly shaming him over his Res Pauls and his "Charvel."

It's a personal peeve of mine: people putting fake logos on their gear or relicing it for fake cred. My guitars are beat to poo poo, but that's because I've played the gently caress out of them and not one of those dents, scratches, or rust was intentional. It's just a series of accidents that took place over years. I'm sure some people who love JEMs would be appalled at the cosmetic appearance of my 29 year old 77FP but I didn't buy it to put it away for safe-keeping. I wish I had been able to buy two, and save one; but I wouldn't change a thing.

I also wouldn't ever buy a bootleg instrument. On the other hand, I'd love to built myself a very nice Strat-style (S/S/S with vintage trem) out of parts. I'd call it a parts-caster and leave it at that (although I am kinda interested in the Fender Deluxe Strat, the one with a 12" radius and the extra switch that lets you play the neck + mid pickup together, like the Tele mid-position. It's $850. I just wonder if I'd like it, especially the "Fender noiseless single coils.")

Ok, I rambled all over the place here, but those Zakk Wylde Gibsons (the real ones) are crazy expensive, and I have no indication from Gibson's QC issues that it'd be worth that kind of money.

E: Typos as usual.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 10, 2017

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I have never been a fan of LPs simply because of three main things:
Weight distribution
Scale length
Height of the strings off the body (palm-muting and picking on that body would be difficult for me after a lifetime of playing Ibanez.)

Now, that doesn't mean I'd turn my nose up at every Les Paul. I'd be thrilled to have a nice Cherry-sunburst tiger-stripe maple guitar, or the black/gold version. Those are classic and I'd be proud to have them. I have no problem with thick necks, either. I have an Ibanez with a Wizard neck and I like the JEM neck more, but I can adapt to playing a song on a ruler and then playing my Tele or Talman with no problem. My hands aren't so small, but I think that's why I like the longer 25 1/2" scale length, and I do like having two octaves to works with, but it's not necessary.

I'd also be pleased to own a simple, vintage-sounding SG.

Plus I don't own a single instrument with P90s in it, and that's a serious deficiency in my collection.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

Seafoam anything, apart from the sea, ironically
Are you... quite sure?

Just kidding around, I just finished my play-test of my new 2017 Fender Elite Stratocaster and I'm about to put my strings on it and set it up because it's loving awesome. Then I can play it maybe ten minutes and go to bed because I have work today and Saturday god dammit.

Seriously the setup on this Fender is fantastic, the pickups aren't very vintage but they're fun; and the neck...

Well let's see how it likes light-top/heavy bottoms.

I finally own a real Fender Strat, and it only cost twice what it should have. :v:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
and IIIIIIIIIIIII helped!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes I like Mike judge, sometimes I don't.

In this case: don't.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
delivered to your door gently caress me i just died laughing goodbye

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
SHOTS FIRED

E: Beaten by cooler heads. O well.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I made it twenty-nine seconds. Bhabhi please tell me I won something.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I bought an EVH phase 90.

I'm gonna play some Van Halen, probably on my JEM.

I bought an amp, too.

Let's get stupid music poo poo.

(gently caress the Beeb)

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Lol yes it is I just googled it. I JUST GOOGLED THE FRANKENSTRAT YOU GUYS.
Mein Gott in Himmell!

*crosses self*

Pretty sure this is a piece of poo poo artwork but figured it was relevant:

I'm the logo obscured by tuners.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 15, 2017

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Allen Wren posted:

this keyboard that is also a calculator

FYI I bought one of these new and played it a lot (a little). Never used it as a calculator. I could be wrong, but I want to say I bought it at a Radio Shack. Or maybe a KB Toys store.
Either way, I had one, and for all I know it's still in my parents' attic.

It did stuff.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
There's a guitar that will neg me until I learn to put out?

*signs waiting list*

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Bill Posters posted:

http://coppersoundpedals.com/product/telegraph-stutter-custom-colour/

My favourite part is the optional polarity toggle switch that costs $20.

quote:

This is a HAND CONTROLLED effect pedal.

This. Is a HAND CONTROLLED effect PEDAL.

PED-al.

PED.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
This does not work on any level.

gently caress this. This is some stupid-rear end music poo poo for sure.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Is that Meerschaum? It's not strong enough for a guitar body I expect, but I want to ask, because... meerschaum, dude.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'll ask the mods/admins for permission to resurrect the thread in GBS if you guys are serious. If they say yes, I'll need the surfboard pics, especially the one with the monkey grip in it.

Are you guys truly serious?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Is this a thing I make a post about in QQcs or do I need to petition a particular moderator directly? I'd be honored to do this if you guys really want me to, but I don't want to re-open old bad stuff or piss off admins.

Any change to the thread title? I'm not sure, procedurally, how to do this with mod-approval and don't want to do it without. Also, I don't want to do it if you guys don't really want me to, so I'm just trying to get it right.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Shugojin posted:

Making a new thread here is probably fine, but if you wanna do it in GBS again just PM a GBS mod and ask them if it's okay with them since the thread got kicked out under some previous purge like what happens in that forum sometimes.
I can drop the whole GBS thing and keep it here, but it actually was never kicked out of GBS. GBS was shut down for awhile and this is where it landed.

I made a thread in QQcs to let the mods/admins weigh in.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I gave it a shot: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837525

I hope you like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I feel bad because this thread contains the worst examples of that period of my life when I was struggling with issues of alcohol, work, and family all at once and I'm very glad I made it through that time.

I can't wish it never happened, because it did. I acted similarly in other places on the forums and I am ashamed.

As I was searching out the surfboard guitar GIF I was confronted with the essays I posted in those first 38 pages and I have to admit as I read them I wanted to crawl into a hole and die (as I'm sure many others would have liked me to do as well). It was page after page of me being at my most defensive and I was hosed up as hell the whole time.

It was really hard to process all that old poo poo from three/four years ago; but that doesn't mean I want it scrubbed from the forums. That was me, then; and I should have to face it, be confronted with it, and own it.

So if this thread gets closed or archived or just sits here:

I own it. I'm not happy to; nor should I be.

Thanks for reading.

• Locked thread