Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

glandmine posted:

how old is the oldest acceptable age to like punk rock?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

pretty much every "vintage" guitar looks stupid

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
this one's ugly as sin too

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

you must be confused; this isn't the serious ownage guitar thread

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Horror Queefs posted:

i think they look alright. i have a jackson flying v, although i prefer the Dinky style ones but this was free, anyway, if you usually play sitting down, the v's really really suck. if you want a cool "metal" guitar style then get one with the Explorer style IMO

Salt Fish posted:

Flying V is a great guitar. Light, sits super comfortably with a strap, sounds good. Get one and play it standing up because thats how you should practice anyway.

said it last page but bears repeating this isn't the serious ownage guitar thread. direct all discussion of the jackson king v, rhoades, dinky, soloist, warrior, kelly, ibanez xiphos, bc rich warbeast, dean ml, and associated guitars to the appropriate place

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Salt Fish posted:

Direct your directions to my butt

like i said the appropriate place

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr. Faustus posted:

Nope. Some are reliced to match specific instruments, but you can order relicing on anything from the Custom Shop, and if you think it's not for fake cred then I've got bad news for you.

http://www.fender.com/custom-shop/store/

Fender is proud to announce a jewelry line for musicians and music enthusiasts who have an affinity for the passion of music combined with cutting edge fashion

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Salt Fish posted:

Also every Dean guitar is hideous. Who thought it was a good idea to make a headstock that is nearly the same size as the guitar body?

it works with the ml and Vs but yeah it's a little too big for any other instrument. they also have a dumb bc rich looking inline headstock

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
/\/\/\/\/\/\
like i said, serious loving ownage

ZombieParts posted:

I didn't realize this was a thing

worse than pre-ripped jeans

http://www.fender.com/features/fender-wines/

Subjected to only the most particular of soil and climate conditions, harvested and filtered to discerning specifications, and stored exclusively in 40% new French Oak barrels. FenderŪ wines are produced with the same attentiveness and consistency as each of our historic instruments. Grown on hillsides throughout the Sonoma region of California, this 2012 vintage produced a collection of ripe, juicy wines that speak to the level of quality, prestige and character for which Fender instruments are known. Like our classic guitars and the sonic formulas from which they're born, each of these distinguished wines affirms that some things truly get better with age.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
one of the few upsides of the fact gen x/millenials will have on average far less wealth than their parents is nobody's going to be marketing a line of wines to people who buy 7 string universes to match their kikwear pipes

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
i wonder if they do custom orders. i want a dolphin taipiece

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Harry in Rio posted:

ffs p90s on that

for real that needs emgs or at least sd blackouts

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
fender japan used to make a tele with a sweet headstock and a floyd

could do without the f-hole though

e: better pic

that neck on an archtop strat would slay. fmic really missed the boat

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 26, 2013

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Acquire Currency! posted:

realtalk teles are really versatile and good sounding guitars, great to learn to play electric with and good enough to keep

they fall within with the simpler=better design aesthetic, which is ideologically correct

then again technically so does van halen's frankenstrat

e: sucks fender/charvel don't offer a plain strat with just a bridge humbucker/single volume control without a doofy paint job

i mean you could just get it through allparts and it'd probably cost about the same, but still

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 26, 2013

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ZombieParts posted:

The only way wood density won't matter is if you're playing a digital amp. those can make a top of the line les paul and a $50 guitar bought at walmart sound exactly the same. Then you're getting into the elitist $2500 tube stack versus the $450 digital amp debate

yeah it's all gonna be irrelevant in 20 years when there's nothing but axe-fx/kemper/line 6 amps

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
more like tasteful, almost note perfect recreation of jeff skunk baxter's solo in rikki don't lose that number

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
i saw this steve vai thing vh1 classic played years back and i guess it was the part of the show where he farts around with the whammy bar. anyway he goes on this rant about britney spears for some reason even though it was definitely in the mid-2000s, so past when she was in the public spotlight or anyone normal gave a poo poo about her.

then he ends by undermining his autist spiel by saying she's okay all music is good, but adds that he bets "she can't do this" then makes one last triumphant fart noise with his whammy bar because he a man in his late forties totally showed that chick half his age what's what because she didn't spend her teenage years studiously learning the subtle mechanics of the floyd rose double-locking floating tremolo system

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
also this is the sickest divebomb ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG9esxpAUP0

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
wasn't really mad more mildly amused

SearchForDelicious posted:

this song loving rules

you know it's legit because the tape fucks up a minute or so in and they kept it when mastering due to budget constraints

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 27, 2013

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr. Faustus posted:

O, and all you 7-string people? Yeah, that was Vai and Ibanez in 1989 when he first released it on an album, Korn was just forming. Look up "Passion and Warfare."

vai only had one made to transcribe the clarinet part on mo n herb's vacation for zappa. he never used it for what the most esteemed hoshino gakki mfg company designed it, just more namby-pamby weedly-wee nonsense. also vai is in large part responsible for foisting devin townsend on the world so gently caress him a million times over for that on top of being a lovely musician

morbid angel were in fact the first to use 7 strings for sick riffs. we should give credit where it's due

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhj2P5MKvgQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djF1AfY2O9Y

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ZombieParts posted:

nothing riles up a metal crowd like making fun of pop music icons

dunno if i'd call them "metal". it's mostly the kind of people too weenyish for dream theater, but not secure enough in their masculinity to go see george benson

Salt Fish posted:

Um, you guys ever heard of russian gypsies from the 1800s?? Noobs in this thread talking about corn or whatever...

to be fair the russian instruments largely used open tunings like three courses of triads based an octave apart

no way jonathan davis could scat over that kind of thing

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

comes along bort posted:

we should give credit where it's due

and if you want to get hyper-specific about this stupid topic dimebag tuned down to f# way back in 95, the same year meshuggah put out destroy erase improve which led to the whole 8 string djent horseshit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgL1KzqODiU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
srspost the ugliest guitars are strat knockoffs that use different headstocks because fender is somewhat justifiably a total oval office about trade dress infringement

even $3000 boutique corksniffer assholes who market solely to steve vai fans make headstocks that look like mutilated penises

aestheticallly there's no difference between that thing and this $200 piece of poo poo

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Dec 28, 2013

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
lol if you have more than one of the same kind of guitar

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
lol if you have more than one guitar

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr. Faustus posted:

lol if you talk about guitars but can't play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYnFIRc0k6E&t=29s

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ZombieParts posted:

it doesn't matter how ugly your guitars are if you're playing digital anyway because people that play that poo poo aren't serious anyway

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
what kind of faggo takes pics of their guitars

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
dude why do you keep srsposting

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
sometimes it's okay to just walk away and not get riled up about meaningless poo poo

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dewgy posted:

i really want a closeup of the one that's basically a clone of the turquoise one (handle and all) but basically covered in airbrushed i dont know what the gently caress

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
i like nile but c'mon man you're gonna put someone's eye out with that thing

ashgromnies posted:

circuits don't make sound when it comes to guitars oscillators have nothing to do wit it

there are specific harmonics that are excited in the waveform givnig it unique character and replicating that isn't as simple as you think!

you can emphasize certain frequency ranges through component choice (which is pretty much the biggest difference between most amps' gain stages), but it's easier to do that in an external box though some people put preamps and poo poo in their guitars

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 29, 2013

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

The Monkey Man posted:

Synthesizers definitely have slavish spergs, too.

drums too

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

01011001 posted:

could use a vine up the fingerboard though

i wanted to put a floral pattern on the body also but gently caress spending the time looking up how to do that

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
i have a guild d-55 that's a pretty expensive but not like gotta take out a second mortgage expensive guitar

it doesn't make you sound better but it's a well made instrument and i have no desire to own any other acoustic despite having bought it like 15 years ago

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ZombieParts posted:

how does a drum sperg even work? their equipment is too much to become a collector

cymbals, noisemakers, new hardware

poo poo adds up

home studio stuff gets into that territory pretty quick as well

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Harry in Rio posted:

i just have one complaint about the non-metal, pointy ESP/LTD guitars... do they have to put the loving model number inlayed on the 12th fret?

kinda tacky sometimes, innit?

i think they only do that on the ltd models. the esp ones just say esp on the 12th fret inlay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
unless you're into borderline menopause rough trade, shredding hot leads don't get the undergarments wet like they used to

take up rap or something

• Locked thread