Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Not recommended for American guitarists, unless they're also bullet wound fetishists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcCrTahsLg0

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

Nope. Some are reliced to match specific instruments, but you can order relicing on anything from the Custom Shop, and if you think it's not for fake cred then I've got bad news for you.

http://www.fender.com/custom-shop/store/

"Horror Queefs," how many posters singled you out and put up pics of your personal guitars in this thread to attack you for your taste in instruments? I can't help that I'm being stalked by console warriors.

Vai isn't for everyone, that's cool. It was a different time when he hit the scene. I don't exactly look to GBS for informed discussion of guitarists or their instruments.

Legit thanks for that link, I've been looking for replacement parts for my pawn shop Strat and didn't know Fender sold them direct.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

Got this in trade... been trying to sell it ever since. It's like a loving albatross around my neck. Sounds great, looks ridiculous on a middle aged man playing doom/stoner metal.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Harry in Rio posted:

Got this in trade... been trying to sell it ever since. It's like a loving albatross around my neck. Sounds great, looks ridiculous on a middle aged man playing doom/stoner metal.

Harry in Rio posted:

a middle aged man playing doom/stoner metal.
gotta get rid of that guitar pronto

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

Dr. Faustus posted:

Henry Rollins would break your spine and tell you to stop posting stupid pointless threads.

lmao i can't understand how you as a musician are so bad at taking negativity

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Ootrek posted:

lmao i can't understand how you as a musician are so bad at taking negativity

i had a bass player once who was a total sperg. i had written a song that was essentially just a blues tune in the key of e major. i played an e chord, he had this neat run he did with f#, g#, like b and c#. when i played the c# chord, he went to f.. and i told him he needed to flatten that to an e, or try another approach, it didn't sound right.

he went off about music theory and how i didn't know a loving thing, that he was a classically trained pianist and i was a hack, so i told him to gently caress off. 3 weeks later and 2000 unanswered text messages from him i changed my number. he's finally gotten some professional help and is really into jesus now (the drugs are working)

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known
holy poo poo ahahaha look at this: http://forums.somethingawful.com/misc.php?action=whoposted&threadid=3597233

top poster in this thread by a loving landslide

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

like a horse

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

alright, this is an atrocity

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Bo Diddley built his rectangular guitar because he once stabbed himself in the dick with the horns on his Gretch by jumping around on stage.

if he had played one of the point things in Fair Hallion's post he probably would have bled out and died right there at the show.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

that body is kinda bad but not horrible

that headstock though is goddamn atrocious

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I just read all 16 pages of this horseshit in one sitting and did not stop laughing once.

People like Faustus are why I am a terrible guitarist. I sit down and think to myself "maybe I should learn a scale so I can solo at some point in the future."

And then I think about giant pretentious rear end in a top hat guitarists, go NOPE and go back to jamming on four-chord rock and roll.

Bukowski
Dec 28, 2009

hammulder

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

christ that looks like one of the abortions ronnie wood has been known to play

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
check out these bad boys

lol i wonder what sperg lord these belong to

edit: why even have multiples of the same guitar? poo poo's guitarded.

Jedrick fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 28, 2013

SearchForDelicious
May 29, 2008

i would totally smoke weed with this guitar

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Jedrick posted:

check out these bad boys

umm excuse me i think you may have missed the forty paragraphs explaining why its so important to have fifty different HSH strat-likes

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Kiyanis
Sep 25, 2007

BBQ Now.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Why is he shooting the other guy execution style? That's pretty hosed IMO

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

holy loving poo poo

that's not even a guitar dude

dr faustus is going to poo poo on your dinner for this one. just you wait

ZombieParts fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 29, 2013

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
no one even mentioned his ugly rear end warwick bass. holy loly

Dec 26, 2012

HollisBrown posted:

Why is he shooting the other guy execution style? That's pretty hosed IMO

why is he missing so badly

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Jedrick posted:

check out these bad boys

i really want a closeup of the one that's basically a clone of the turquoise one (handle and all) but basically covered in airbrushed i dont know what the gently caress

i legit like that one like i like the translucent ouya and my pink lethal enforcers gun

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dewgy posted:

i really want a closeup of the one that's basically a clone of the turquoise one (handle and all) but basically covered in airbrushed i dont know what the gently caress

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

If that guitar could talk, it'd say 'LOOK AWAY I'M HIDEOUS'

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

My mom has that vase.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Xen Tricks posted:

I understand fully how they work, I know how circuits make sound, but I don't understand how you can't replicate/improve that with effects. It's like saying "Yeah I modified the oscillator and amp circuit to make sounds you can't possibly replicate" when you could just throw something in front of it in the circuit line and do the same. If you'd like to explain how your electrical magic works i'm sure we'd all be interested.

Also I went back to look at your guitar collection picture and jesus lol I didn't realize how it looked. You have like 6 guitars that look the same, a handled abortion, two first-act looking acoustics, and I guess one alright looking one. Great line up for 27 years.

Steve Vai is kind of really spergy so actually yes, maybe

circuits don't make sound when it comes to guitars oscillators have nothing to do wit it

there are specific harmonics that are excited in the waveform givnig it unique character and replicating that isn't as simple as you think!

rear end gently caress tard this faustus guy is afctually Really Cool Guitar Guy unlike what you guys think. he shreds, id love to hire him to work in my studio when i'm kanye west.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
For anyone who is curious, the body is covered in fabric that is (purportedly) based on the drapes at Steve Vai's mom's house. There are three patterns for the back, front, and headstock. The fabric is applied, then a sunburst finish is sprayed over the fabric. If you look closely, you can see the weave of the fabric but it's pretty tight and you have to look very closely.
It was one of the most popular JEMs and they made it for several years, but they've been out of production for many years now. Mine has the serial # neck plate from 1988 on it, so it's either a late '88 or an early '89 (I bought it in late '89 with money I made building PS/2s on the production line in NC).

Enjoy!

Wait, I have a better picture in the sunlight, with the puppy's toys:

The pickups and knobs all used to be the same color, but two are replacements and UV fades the plastic pretty quickly. Plus, it's like 25 years old.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 29, 2013

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Dr. Faustus posted:

For anyone who is curious

anyone???

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
i like nile but c'mon man you're gonna put someone's eye out with that thing

ashgromnies posted:

circuits don't make sound when it comes to guitars oscillators have nothing to do wit it

there are specific harmonics that are excited in the waveform givnig it unique character and replicating that isn't as simple as you think!

you can emphasize certain frequency ranges through component choice (which is pretty much the biggest difference between most amps' gain stages), but it's easier to do that in an external box though some people put preamps and poo poo in their guitars

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 29, 2013

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

a kitten posted:

oh finally there's some ugly rear end guitars on this page

they are all obsolete regardless

lol fuken nerds

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Homestar Runner posted:

If that guitar could talk, it'd say 'LOOK AWAY I'M HIDEOUS'

yeah, that drapery looking poo poo gots to go. unless you're steve vai there's no reason to have that

What do you guys think of the same guitar in white?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I like anything white.

• Locked thread