Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Shouldn't it be formed out of plaster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

how old is the oldest acceptable age to have your stage name start with Young or Cheb?

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Which Guitar Trek species is he?

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Hobohemian posted:

Oh god, that's like a whole new level of ugly. That 5th one down makes me physically cringe.
Just imagine the steampunk cosplay stage getup that goes along with it.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Dr. Faustus posted:

That's my last post.
Liar

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Dr. Faustus posted:

From my perspective, this thread began as a personal attack on me

What part of this do you imagine is a personal attack on you?

Ularg posted:

God this took forever and a half to find.

Specifically, handle guitar and

e: should somebody notify Steve Vai that he's being personally attacked by people's opinions about how his guitars look?

Flyball fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 3, 2014

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Enormous seriouspost, sorry:

Dr. Faustus posted:

That is a good question, but you should first go back to page one and include this:

and the five quotes of that post on page one, and the other quotes on page two.
Exactly the same phenomenon, and also not worthy including in your imaginary attack. People posted a guitar they consider to be ugly, that happens to be owned by you. You were not mentioned at all. This is not mocking you personally in any way at all.

quote:

I shared those pics in another gassed thread and the ridicule (deserved or not, although of course I say not) started there
And any ridicule did not come here, until you brought it. It was 'here an ugly guitar.' Some people agreed; you were not mentioned.

quote:

, and as soon as I saw "only ugly guitars itt" I felt a sinking feeling that my pics from the other thread would be not only featured heavily in this thread, but it would be CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK who would start it and someone like Ularg to follow up with my gear collection pic:
SO WHAT? Nobody mentioned your name in this thread until you brought it up, as far as I remember. Initially, the attacks were specifically directed toward your guitars, and only toward your guitars, not your person. You were not mentioned, you brought it up. Whoever mentioned the Streisand Effect had it dead on.

Don't you realize that you guys were baiting you, and you completely fell for it? Hell, if I was younger, I might have joined in.

quote:

So I looked at the thread and I figured I had called it correctly.
You did not call it correctly, nobody attacked you.

You need to work on your social perceptions. I'm not loving with you here in the least, but I am bluntly addressing some psychological issues.

(That's just how I do this kind of thing, bluntly. You might hate that, all lot of people do, and a lot of people don't. (If my elderly mother lives through the weekend, she's going to get really big dose of 'I told you so, you should have gone in to the ER two days ago, before you came immobile and covered in vomit' She knows it, she knows I'm right, and she'll accept it.)

Sorry for the long-winded example with personal examples, but I'm trying to show how trivial your concerns about your guitar's appearance, relative to some other people's problems. I'd rather use somebody else's examples, but I don't know any.

You really shouldn't give a rat's rear end about people having negative opinions of the appearance of your possessions. I've had much worse trouble from people about much worse things, and been able to blow them off in a way that you seem to not even comprehend is possible.

Example 9sorry for another totally self-centered story: I have an overactive urinary system, and the teacher wouldn't let me go to the bathroom for the fourth time one afternoon when I was nine or ten. Go ahead and guess what happened. One person made a rhyme with my name, referring to the incident, and was still at it at the twenty-year high school reunion. I never responded, and actually never cared about, because she's none too bright, and not important in the least.

And you're complaining about people you don't even know, who are calling your guitars ugly. Those people don't matter at all. And if you'd kept your mouth shut, nothing would have happened.

quote:

I hope that answers your question.
Yes, but not in the way that you imagine. It indicates that you don't understand the situation in the least.

Again, I'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat here, I'm not making fun of you, but you really don't understand in the least what's happening. That's why you're being mocked, it's your reactions, not your guitars. Even if people started mocking you without your being here, you did not have to respond.

My apologies everybody, for the boring wall of text, but I'm seriously trying to help him (just this once).

And Dr. Faustus, if you have interest in taking this to messages or something, please contact me. Otherwise, I'll just be shaking my head sadly about the extent of your reactions to something not important in the least.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

I'm just over 50.

Why do people quote huge walls of text?

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Dolphin posted:

Why do people write them?
I don't know why, for anyone else. This one was a matter of not being busy, having dealt a lot with this sort of perceptual deficiency, there aren't any cats around to rescue right now, and I haven't done my good deed for the day.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Agrajag posted:

I this thread even about ugly guitars any more? What a gigantic loving poo poo wreck.
Sorry.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

gently caress, seriouspost again, I'm really being a boring twat. But, one psychological phenomenon that Dr. Faustus seems completely blind to.

Dr. Faustus posted:

This is how you speak about your Mother? My bullshit detector is going nuts.
No, this is how I speak to my mother. My family is completely out of your bullshit detector's range. She's been hearing it for decades, she understands it, she knows I'm right, and I truly think that's it's a psychological phenomenon that I'm pretty sure you are not able to perceive(no assholeishness intended there). The whole family's like that.

My mom and I talk bluntly about serious things, and she's just fine with it. The entire family is like that.I don't do it unless it's serious. I was right in this case ('go to the hospital now'), she stayed home and went two days with vomit on her, and it will never happen again if I'm aware of it, like I was recommending Tuesday. The days after, I was unfortunately having my own medical problems.

I'm much more blunt to people close to me then others, and they all appreciate it or put up with me, or they go the gently caress away But I can be useful. Sometimes I even do it very politely, to official sorts of people, and it works. It's can be as hell.

You have to be perceive things that you don't even be able to understand the reason for. And it took me a good while to move into dealing normal perceptions. Once I did, I'm a manipulator.

You're seeing the helpful, considerate part here though. I am a nasty loving rear end in a top hat to people who get on the wrong side of me and have no influence over me, if it's called for. loving vicious. You just got today's Boy Scout influence, but I don't care about that part here, this place is entertaining, not important.

poo poo, please start mocking me or something so I shut up. I'm about to fire up the weed, though. Maybe that will shut me the gently caress up.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

man thats gross posted:

I can appreciate a well-crafted instrument, but that's just masturbation. It's one of the things I hate about guitars in general. You have guys playing just to jerk themselves off on instruments where the luthier built it just to jerk themselves off.
Does that furry with the dog-dick coffee table play guitar?

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

And now for two more beauts. See if you can spot the common theme:

Just looking at them makes me feel like the 2nd amendment is even more protected now.
It's Freedom! Why do you hate it so?

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Dr. Faustus posted:

This guitar is gorgeous:

Nice to see you again. See you later. =)

The handle looks really useful if you're busking and don't have a case.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Dr. Faustus posted:

The case is pictured.
You are extraordinarily self-centered.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

I wasn't talking about you not having a case. You are extraordinarily self-centered.

Dr. Faustus posted:

The first two pages of this thread were calling me out, personally.
Anything extraordinary about that?
Yes. The normal people all understand that nobody was calling you out personally by showing a picture of a guitar and stating that it is ugly, and it's clear that you are completely unequipped to comprehend that.

quote:

What would you know?
What anybody with relatively normal social perceptions knows from reading your words. Or are you just playing a role to fool us all?

quote:

Try it.
Try what? Teaching social perception to an autistic? It doesn't work with my nephew, who is otherwise very bright.

e: Oh, yeah

drunk asian neighbor posted:

KING OF THE THREAD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Mr. Mallory posted:

lol i thought it said cumming
same

• Locked thread