Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dinosaur Jr. owns :colbert:

I just ordered one of those Squier VM Jazzmasters myself like a week ago, but not the J Mascis one, just the regular one in sunburst. From the videos I watched showing off both and the reviews I read, there wasn't enough of a difference for me to spend the extra $100 for it. I'm a beginner anyway and I'm not gonna be gigging. It's just going to be for messing around with at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Declan MacManus posted:

The bridge is better in the Mascis iirc so you might wish for a different bridge buuuut if you ever get to the point where you notice that kind if thing you can get a drop in fix for like 30 bucks
From what I heard, both the regular one and the J Mascis one have the same bridge issues. I heard dropping a Mustang bridge in there makes it a ton better. But yeah, I haven't even gotten mine in yet to know if I'll get to the point where I need to replace the bridge.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I watched the Grammy salute to the Beatles last night and Keith Urban was one of the performers and he played this lovely colorful guitar. Everyone else had normal/cool looking guitars and he was playing one that was like 5 different mismatched colors.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

King Vidiot posted:

You can't just post something like this without showing it off:

It looks like he's playing live at the Nickelodeon Kid's Choice Awards.
The first time I saw it I thought it was supposed to be a rasta guitar. Then I saw the whole thing and realized Keith Urban is just a loving idiot.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh my bad! They're both equally talentless country artists so it was an easy mistake to make :shobon:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Third World Reggin posted:

I haven't read this thread since the faustus hour, what have I missed?
J Mascis rules.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

God drat that owns :stare:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fax Sender posted:

second one down actually owns

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

This is what the original looks like.

These are relatively classy guitars.
Why are the neck pickups placed diagonally like that? And on that second one, both the neck and bridge pickups are.

I've seen that on other guitars before but definitely not in the majority of them.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 19, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The first guitar I ever played was my brother's Eastwood as a kid, but it was just a boring black and white Strat clone, not some gnarly as gently caress thing like that :(

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dirt posted:

Saw this on my local shops website:

:psyduck:

There was no reason to ever create this abortion of a guitar
Is it called the Flying T? Oh god please tell me it is.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bufonide posted:

Kramer had some beautiful design ideas in their early days:

Is the headstock supposed to be a gamepad? :laffo:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I once went to a noise show in a run down house and when the cops were called it turned out no one actually knew who owned the house and they who arranged the show just figured no one would care
I once played a show outside of this posted squatter house in a residential area that had this huge treehouse in the backyard and it was like this art installation that everyone went to. The cops were called and arrived during our last song and made us end early. Apparently the place had no permits for anything and we were so loud we woke up the neighbors. Oh well, we had mostly finished our set anyway :v:

My bandmate booked the show. I think he just got into contact with someone there and agreed to play having never been there before and not knowing what kind of place it was.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That looks like an awfully uncomfortable bed!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

While looking up various pedal demos on YouTube, I found this work of art:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpfOUxIPkOk

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Zakk's so wylde he can't even spell his own name right!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

My first pedal was a Danelectro Fab Metal that a friend gave me like 10 years ago. It was like a $15 pedal so I wasn't expecting much, and it didn't deliver much. I don't have it anymore and that's okay because I don't want to ever use one of those again. Even as babby's first pedal it was a piece of poo poo.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

a kitten posted:

thanx Mr. Allen

Thallen
I saw that at EMP when I visited Seattle like 6 years ago and couldn't stop laughing at it every time I passed it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

booshi posted:

That guy has some odd acoustic covers, like Skrillex:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrcFe0_pZEs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5aqQEy46S0
:pwn:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Allen Wren posted:

Am I the only one who thinks the Fender headstock looks completely asinine on an acoustic guitar?
I think it looks way cooler than a traditional acoustic headstock, but what do I know? The only acoustic I've ever owned was a Fender Stratacoustic acoustic/electric v:shobon:v

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Schpyder posted:

Rosewood AND maple fretboards together?!? :barf:
It's an abomination :stonk:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

darkwasthenight posted:

Age 51. Fifty loving one, count 'em.

Why is he still wearing that obnoxious hairstyle at age 51? :confused:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jedrick posted:

What do you all think of the surf green strat with brown metal pickguard?

I played one today and I'm in love, but I feel like I may be in the minority here. I feel like I should hate it, but i just can't.
That wood texture :circlefap:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

reallivedinosaur posted:

Has anyone posted this real doll cum telecaster?

Wait, so are you supposed to gently caress the electronics?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

HollisBrown posted:

This abomination just popped up on the local CraigsList.

How much anime do you think this dude watches?
Those fret inlays :barf:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

JULIAN ASSANGE posted:

Recorded a song last week and made a total death trap of a recording space.

the bathroom was the only room I could even remotely soundproof
did you have to piss at any point during this session? and if so, what did you do?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The power cord that came with my Mininova is ridiculously short :smith: Like, if I ever play shows with it, I'm gonna have to either get a new one or set up right next to an outlet because that thing won't reach for poo poo.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

shiksa posted:

I seriously don't understand synths unless there's knobs to twiddle, but on the other hand I'm dumb as hell.
What synth doesn't have knobs to twiddle, though?

If there's no knobs, it's automatically a piece of poo poo that you don't want to be playing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That looks like one of those Airheads Xtreme candy belts and it doesn't look like it belongs on a guitar at all. I love it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

umalt posted:

We've all seen the surfboard guitar, but what about a snowboard guitar?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Aoi-chan posted:

Apparently Korg and Roland have started a "trend" and everyone decided to bring out a retro analog synth this year.

This looks neat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw-AWFmVyfg
I already have 2 synths and between the 2 of them they probably have a lot of these features already, but I still want this goddamnit.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Verizian posted:

It gets worse. The tracking is extremely slow with any kind of harmonics so you have to use the neck pickup and roll off the tone. Rob Chapman did a review of it without using that "trick" which just makes it funnier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aveUEZkcQno
I can't stop loving laughing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Well this thread suddenly got way more interesting!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Guitar Center staying around is fine by me. Last weekend, I traded in some gear that I haven't used in a while and got a brand new bass amp for my synth. My trade covered the entire thing, and they even had to pay me $5 after all was said and done. That's pretty rad. I've had good experiences with their trade-ins in the past, too. I don't buy much gear from there, though.

I got to bring my synth to the store and try out different bass amps before deciding on one, too, so that was neat. It's cool to have a place to do that.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 3, 2015

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dudes like Thundercat and Jesse from Death From Above 1979 make the bass seem like the coolest instrument in existence.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Aoi-chan posted:

I bought this:

It REALLY likes to pick up on harmonics when you're using a synth to drive it instead of a guitar.
Soundcloud demos. NOW.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

How much do you guys think Matt Pike's dental bills would be if he ever went

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I think he bought Matt Pike's Dopesmoker cabinets.

edit: indeed he did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbSBZoxbT6Q
:eyepop: I had no idea!

Where the hell do I start with Hank III if I'm completely unfamiliar with his stuff? He's gotta have like an intimidatingly lengthy discography by now, huh? I know he's been active for decades.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Snowy posted:

I like this post.

Also this was one of the funnier music things I've seen recently.

Oh god Wu Tang what the hell happened you were so great, RZA how could you let this happen holy fuckin haaaaaaahaahahaaa
:laffo:

Oh RZA, why would you play with loving Machine Gun Kelly :barf:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Coohoolin posted:

you guys are all tripping, the best guitar player to emulate and live by is CLEARLY dick gaughan.

anyway I was trying to find a specific thread for it but I guess it can go in here. i found it, i found the worst ever cover. the worst.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05-jeYSPQZ0
These are the most punchable looking people I've seen in a good long while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kilometers Davis posted:

https://youtu.be/f2Aco73B4L0 these guys are a really popular local band. They have done a few things with Steam Powered Giraffe. Kill me.
Why is this a thing

This should not be a thing

gently caress this

• Locked thread