Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Nubile Hillock posted:

edit: bort, I think the guitar you posted is hella rad

God loving drat it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

Horror Queefs posted:

i think they look alright. i have a jackson flying v, although i prefer the Dinky style ones but this was free, anyway, if you usually play sitting down, the v's really really suck. if you want a cool "metal" guitar style then get one with the Explorer style IMO

Explorers own but boy are they loving heavy.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

ZombieParts posted:

I haven't played an explorer before but my warlock weighs 12 lbs--double what my strat weighs -- and it's loving smooth sounding

Don't know exactly but it's more than my friends bass.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

Arsenio lookin good

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

Steve Vai got to play with David Lee Roth while he was probably blowing 2-3 eight balls a day and that's pretty cool tbh.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

HollisBrown posted:

IIRC Some kid at MIT or something did his master's thesis basically disproving the tone wood bullshit too.

I also read a study somewhere in which they played student model violins and real Stradivarius for so called "Violin Experts" and they were completely unable to tell them apart.

I'll look for links.

Edit: I got the violin one almost completely wrong but still mostly right
http://www.npr.org/blogs/deceptivecadence/2012/01/02/144482863/double-blind-violin-test-can-you-pick-the-strad

http://www.guitarsite.com/news/music_news_from_around_the_world/electric-guitar-wood-myth-busted/?goback=%2Egde_3778347_member_154612271#%21

Jesus the comments :psyduck:

quote:

Thirdly, "looking" at the harmonic content is pointless, it tells you nothing. Your ears are the only credible judge

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

Has Uli Roth's guitar been posted yet? It's a Dean so probably.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

every two years i think of that vid and then can't stop laughing at it for about a month, then repeat the process

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

Zonekeeper posted:

The best of these vidoes will forever be the Kiss one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw5oJoUYTb8

wrong https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3_rsg2yvkw

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

Armani posted:

That thing owns. I find the crackle finish super butt ugly which is the point but it looks pretty awesome even with it. I want to take that all-white Flying V scheme from a page back and apply it to that thing.

When I went to NAMM a million years ago I saw a Vicellotar (Violin Cello Guitar) in person and I've wanted one since then even though I can't play for poo poo.

But seeing it combined with a dude in his spiderweb boxers, now I NEED one though the one i saw at NAMM actually looked more like a violin you basically fit over your thigh and wasn't a skinny thing like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcUr-gIm2mo

I want this, too. Music begins at 6:00: http://youtu.be/N9H4K3AFpDY

I guess I wanna be like Jimmy Page but who doesn't

People who aren't pedophile rapists.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I'd buy that for a dollar!

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

To be fair it is a really stupid name.

Also it's spelled Synyster. :smug:

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

and most of those companies still produce wholesale copies of fender and gibson guitars in japan because copyright law is funky (basically you can infringe upon others' designs as long as you "improve" the original design which is nebulous enough that you can do what the gently caress ever)

the end

tl;dr: japanese guitar companies own

See Edwards: http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/

If you go down to the menus at the bottom they don't even try to hide it by changing the model type, i.e. LP = Les Paul, SG = SG, EX = Explorer etc.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

White Dog Eggs posted:

:fireman:

Someone should write "Game of Death" around that. Those edges are terrifying.

That's duct tape.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

Radio Help posted:

Fodera guitars definitely straddle that line between "wow that is some very nice craftsmanship" and "jesus gently caress quit it with the stupid spalted/buckeye maple goddammit"

I read this as Fedora guitars and it made total sense to me.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

White Dog Eggs posted:

I have a dislike of Gibson because they charge upwards of $1000 for something that you can get from another company for $500 and the cheaper guitar that will have less problems. Gibson are a terrible company and their quality control is non-existent.

This is true. I got my Explorer for $800 new including a hard case so I was less picky but some of the work on the fretboard is just abysmal.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

White Dog Eggs posted:

Is it a 22 or 24 fret model? The 24 fret models seem to have nicer fretwork for some reason, I guess they have a different team working on them.

A LOT more extreme, but yea. Guitar companies tend to be assholes, with a few exceptions.

22 fret. A few of the frets almost look like they're scalloped on one side and there's a decent amount of glue on the fretboard from the frets.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

Thumposaurus posted:

Gibson got the confiscated wood back and built a line of guitars from it and jacked up the price on them I'm sure.
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Government-Series-II-Les-Paul.aspx
Thanks Obama!

Uh excuse me:

quote:

And because it’s a Gibson, the Government Series II Les Paul is a pure and powerful tone machine.

TONE MACHINE

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

White Dog Eggs posted:

I missed this.... Are you saying the frets are glued in? Thats.... :psyduck:. Who glues frets?

Well its some transparent hardened goo slightly emanating from a few of the frets. Its not a lot, but enough to see that its there.

So apparently Gibson. :v:

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

Bitchtard posted:

i like songs that go "chiggadah cha cha wiggy wiggy woo"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UNMgENyMUo

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

Stux posted:

Well the neck differences are a bit more in-depth than you're making out. There are Wizard necks which match the JEM in every way, you just have to look for them. With the modularity of the RG series you can simply pick up such a neck, and drop it into one of the other RGs if thats really your bag. The differences in those that are different are negligible, such as a 1mm difference in thickness at the neck or similar, with the same radius, or 30mm smaller radius with the same thicknesses. It depends on the guitar however and there are standard/prestige RGs that match the JEM neck profile yet cost less. Ive played a large amount of RGs since, like you, they are my favourite guitars, and the differences in the different wizard/jem necks are really not so big as to base your entire purchasing decision on. Its not the same as, say, comparing the wizard series to a fender strat neck or even guitars that are more similar such as schecters or ESPs.

With regards to electronics, if you really knew/cared as much as you say, you wouldn't be using such shoddy pickups as seymour duncans or dimarzios when boutique hand wounds exist which can outdo the entirety of their line. BKPs are the ones that are in vogue right now and the ones I know the most about, and they have ranges which can outdo any of those you've mentioned wrt note definition in chords, output levels etc while having similar response patterns to attain the same tone. They even use original 50s specs and material choices for their vintage style pups unlike the mass produced drek from SD and DM, so if you are truly such a gear whore I don't see why you wouldn't be using them or a similar brand?

Also, can you explain why you said about this amp that you loved the glow of the tubes, when in fact they used LEDs for the colour as they don't actually glow red:

Last thing: Your comments regarding amp modelling and voltage/dsp errors is hilarious when you only have a POD HD which practically the worst modelling system available and is pathetic compared to something like an Axe FX or the software modellers.

:wow:

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

Ugh now I really want one of those Agile guitars god drat it thread

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

empty baggie posted:

That reminded me of the old David Lee Roth video for Yankee Rose. That guitar is one of several that Vai plays in the video. One guitar in particular is green and has a monkey grip (and a couple of other holes), and I'm pretty sure it was before the JEM was released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz5w06Naq0c

The best part of this by far is the balloon breaking spin kick at the end.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

It's called Lars can't play anything but a polka beat.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

Seriously every track on Kill em All is the exact same drum pattern.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

comes along bort posted:

his drumming does fit their music really well, same with john densmore

Pretty much. It's not technically proficient but it's exactly what it needed to be.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

HollisBrown posted:

People will spend a lot of time and energy making stuff that something else already does better, no asked for, and no one wants.

that lady owns gently caress you

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

a kitten posted:

i dunno, i'm not sure how technically proficient it is or anything but i just gave Peace Sells a listen for the first time since like '89 and it turns out that i don't hate it. I doubt i'd throw in on just to listen to it, but he seems like he can, ya know...play a bit.

that symphony video tho...that poo poo's something else.

How about a terrible lack of instruments?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEwNrjvNiYs

weedely deedely

A lot of that was Chris Poland. Even though he looks like a 60 year old MRA hes still owns at guitar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWTtu6LyS2A

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Did Mustaine finding Jesus make his music noticeably worse, or was it pretty much at rock bottom by that point anyway?

Or did I make up the thing about him finding Jesus?

Dave found Alex Jones and is an insane conspiracy theorist/evangelist now.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

HollisBrown posted:

I've got a friend who's simply not allowed to play my guitars because his hands will destroy strings in a couple hours of playing. He tries everything, washing his hands before playing and wiping them down after. His hands just produce funk at an alarming rate, they're like a kindergardener who's been digging in the trash.

This is me and and its really annoying. :smith:

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

shiksa posted:

Man people are just desperate for something to sperg out over, huh.

I mean I do like the 432 Hz version of this more, and 440 Hz wasn't the set standard for A until the 50's so I find it interesting to listen to the music that might have been composed at a slightly lower tuning.

But holy poo poo all the people talking about how this has healing properties and is in tune with Earth's natural frequencies. :psyduck:

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

:barf:

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I like plain RGs. :saddowns:

None of that floral poo poo though.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing wrong with a Fender bass for metal.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

My mom bought me this one:

I've never worn it once.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

Incredulous Dylan posted:

lol if you are trying to enjoy tonewoods without proper tonewood for your walls

The auditorium at my undergrad has walls similar to this.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

gently caress Your Website posted:

If that horseshit was remotely true they'd be using it for torture at guantamo bay instead of forcing people to listen to Metallica

http://www.cbc.ca/strombo/news/the-sound-of-silence-a.html

quote:

In a study published in the Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, subjects exposed to this type of chamber, for as little as 15 minutes in the dark, reported psychosis-like experiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

Uh they did talk to the main author? Here's the actual paper:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19829208

quote:

Participants were asked to sit in a padded armchair in the middle of the room and put their feet on a cushioned footrest. They spent 15 minutes in the chamber in complete darkness. Participants were not told precisely how long they would spend in the chamber but were told it would be “several minutes.” They had access to a “panic button” whereby light and communication with the experimenter would be immediately restored.

quote:

Under sensory deprivation, 5 of the 9 participants saw “faces even though no-one was in fact there” (2 strongly); 6 saw “shapes and forms even though they weren’t there” (4 strongly); 4 felt that their “sense of smell was unusually strong or different” (1 strongly) and 2 “sensed an evil presence even though they couldn’t see it” (both moderately). Almost all (7) thought that they had “experienced something very special or important” at least to a “slight” extent.

It's not exactly a large data set but the study is real.

• Locked thread