Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
Dave from Canada hates B.C. Rich almost as much as Goons do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvBwa8infT0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=retTFxrAb2s
(Skip to about 1:45)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gORgTcXaojk
Ugly rear end Dean Zelinsky Flying V

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqKAp558vi8
Custodian of Guitar Crap vol. 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfE0t_AP4uU
Triple Neck Galveston "Super Bone"

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

White Dog Eggs posted:

I love Danelctro guitars (perhaps not the most versatile instruments but they are loving fantastic for the money), but they have made some ugly rear end stuff over the years

Seiji of Guitar Wolf has a Longhorn guitar. The shorter neck makes it even uglier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s11P1yVvvDs

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Cobalt60 posted:

Thread Challenge 3: Least relevant materials for the job at hand.

Split Lip Rayfield's bassist Jeff Eaton plays "Stitchgiver", a home made upright bass made from the gas tank from a 1978 Mercury Grand Marquis, a chunk of hickory, and is strung with a length of weed whacker line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMQw3sSI3Bk

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

CSM posted:

You know good times are ahead when you start a band and the bass player shows up with one of these:

I bought this beast from a guy on Craigslist last year.

The strings are standard strings, fed from the top of the neck to standard tuners on the body. Given the scale of the thing, I think it has a standard 6 string guitar neck on it. The neck and body almost appear to be one piece, since there's a really heavy coat of black lacquer over the whole thing that is hiding the seams if there are any.

I'm guessing that it was built from a kit or something. The electronics are all point-to-point wired on the inside, obviously put together by someone who knew how to solder. The only name on it is Schafer, which I've never heard of and can't find any info about.

I'm putting some serious thought into turning it into a tenor guitar.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Thumposaurus posted:

I've kinda secretly wanted one of these for years, no idea why.

Dave from Canada set one of those up and made a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pH1G9Ot85c

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

CannedMacabre posted:

Delicious candy drums!

Not the worst I've seen, but it was the first thing on CL.

Out of curiosity, what was his asking price? This guy wants $5750 for that kit. He's dropped his price recently. For the last 6 months he's been trying to get $6000 out of it.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Alright, I wanna see the dumbest drum kits. From 100 piece mike mangini atrocities to sets witht he rarest of tone woods to play soft jazz on.

Terry Bozzio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV9WlgC5oWo

Neil Peart

Random Drums

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

It's like an electric autoharp, except lovely.

I have one of those. It's an overly complicated piece of poo poo compared to the Omnichord, the electric autoharp that it replaced.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

comes along bort posted:

the only good thing about guitar world was jeff gilbert's metal detector column

My two favorite Metal Detector album reviews:

Iron Maiden - Killers: Except for the drums, guitars, bass and vocals, this is a great album!

Motorhead - Ace of Spades: I listened to this while running over gravel with my lawn mower. It's funny how art imitates life.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
Here's an article about pointy guitars that you guys might like. I would play the ever-loving poo poo out of that Wayne Hydra.

http://www.musicradar.com/guitarist/15-most-pointy-guitars-ever-244350

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

reallivedinosaur posted:

It also gets you in the habit of hunching over your guitar and staring at the fretboard. Those fretlight guitars are bad for that too, it might be an advantage for the first few weeks, but after that it's hurting more than helping.

Also, they are overpriced tacky poo poo. Have we seen them itt?

I have an FG-100 or whatever the original model was. I don't think I've touched the drat thing in years since my Oscar Schmidt 335 clone plays a hell of a lot better.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

fyodor posted:

That's Jaco, I think? Dude loved cocaine, as you might imagine.

It's John Patitucci. Dude has the bass equivalent of lead guitarists' face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve-ziu3SWqM

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
I was going to skip posting this picture that showed up on my Facebook feed until I saw the strap on the gun-tar.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
A guitar repair tech just posted the most recent axe to hit his workbench on Facebook. It was captioned "Serious DNA Issues"

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
Dude, my bathrobe came with a guitar strap!

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

I have one of those. It sounds bad rear end running through a pedal board.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The power cord that came with my Mininova is ridiculously short :smith: Like, if I ever play shows with it, I'm gonna have to either get a new one or set up right next to an outlet because that thing won't reach for poo poo.

The power cord that came with my Ultranova is only 3 feet long. The first thing I did when I loaded it up in the gig bag was add a 10 foot extension cord so I could play shows without having to be against the back wall of the stage where the outlets are.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

It needs an obscenely long vibrato bar like Kevin Shields uses.

It doesn't have a Bigsby or Floyd Rose or any other tailpiece that can create vibrato.

Therefore it needs TWO bars.

EDIT: Preferably one of them will be some place bizarre, like coming out of the lower strap button

BigHustle fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 27, 2014

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Sockington posted:

There's a few vocal processors out there with a Satan voice filter already in there. I wonder how they'd deal with a bass input. :science:

I have a Digitech Vocal 300 and access to a killer bass rig. I'll try and get a recording at band practice on Monday.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
This custom job showed up on a Facebook group I belong to. I personally don't like the paint job, especially on the back where it's going to get scuffed all to poo poo. That pickguard also doesn't seem to fit the motif. He is going to play it in a rockabilly band, so maybe it will look better with the matching classic C&W outfit and pompadour.

Facebook User posted:

This is a parts caster. It is a Fender US Tele body (ash), Warmoth Ultra neck, Fender locking tuners, Fender modern bridge plate, my Esquire wiring, custom wound pickup set, my aluminum pick guard, and custom paint. [REDACTED] did some very nice fretwork to this neck too. It had vintage style fret wire and he managed to put some very nice 6150's in there. He also burnished the gloss off of the neck. This neck really is a good one thanks to him.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Sockington posted:

There's a few vocal processors out there with a Satan voice filter already in there. I wonder how they'd deal with a bass input. :science:

BigHustle posted:

I have a Digitech Vocal 300 and access to a killer bass rig. I'll try and get a recording at band practice on Monday.

It did nothing other than make the normal bass sound like it was being filtered through a box full of poo poo water and gravel, but not in a good way.

On the other hand, some off the effects that have a lot of high end and sound shrill and brittle add vocal effects sounded great when combined with the bass, so my basis may start using it when our free jazz noise improv band plays.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

White Dog Eggs posted:

Probably going to cover a guitar in fur today. Gonna make me something pretty.

If I didn't have medical problems sucking up all my available funds I'd commission that retarded bizarre-rear end electric tenor guitar we discussed back in the day.

I'd like this fish guitar better if it was a fish skeleton.

I also like this hockey axe.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
This guy built an ugly rear end guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9kGnvpT5YQ

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

White Dog Eggs posted:

Haha, fair point! I guess painting it black would be pretty easy. I've got to get my hands on proper x-ray prints though, using anything else would be cheating.

E: I live about 5 minutes from a fairly busy hospital, I guess I could just ask nicely?

If I can get copies of the last CT scan I had done, I'll send them to you. I think an x-ray film of the lower bowels/colon would be fitting for such a project.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
A friend of mine opened a guitar repair/modding side business. Back in high school he used to put together partscasters and poo poo, always with overly complicated and unnecessary electronics.

Who the gently caress needs 42 configurations on one guitar? I almost want to go check it out just to see what kind of crap he put into it.

If the wood type wasn't listed in the image, I'd be concerned.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

BigHustle posted:

If I can get copies of the last CT scan I had done, I'll send them to you. I think an x-ray film of the lower bowels/colon would be fitting for such a project.

White Dog Eggs posted:

YES!!!!! Holy poo poo, if you could manage that it'd be awesome.

I got a couple of shots, but nothing to write home about.

I can get stills from the full body scans, but it just looks like a black and white kaleidoscope with occasion bits of bone or spinal column coming through.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

White Dog Eggs posted:

This is EXACTLY what I was after! I didn't want a clean picture of a ribcage or an arm, I wanted something that looked overly medical and confusing, just like those old soviet bootlegs. This is sweet as.

Mission accomplished, then.

quote:

If you could get one of those trippy body scan that would be great, it'd be great to use it for the front of the headstock.

Here you go.

COMEDY OPTION: AFFIX TO HEADSTOCK FOR FAT TONE

quote:

I hope your pooping parts are not too bad gentle goon.

Gallbladder will be coming out soon. I go see a surgeon next week, then it's a race to see whether I can get in and get the surgery done before my work assignment (and health insurance) end.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

muike posted:

white people have kind of got the hang of black american music now, i don't think our brit cousins ever will

Counterpoint: MC Hotwheels and the Matchbox Kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASF4gOWhN1c

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
Here is my primary gigging washboard.

It has since been retired since I quit the band I played it in.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

White Dog Eggs posted:

Funnily enough I am very close to finishing a guitar with the last of the purple fur (check my first post in the thread), I asked Spanish Manlove if it would be ok to advertise here and he gave me the a-ok, so expect something stupid in a week or so (all depends on how quick the oil on the neck dries)

I'm also considering making up some cigar-box type things using biscuit tins/pans/boxes/bits of pipe/whatever (just started one and it's actually pretty fun and easy). If I did, would anyone here be interested? If so I might start a thread in SAmart.

I'd be interested if you could do one up as a 4 string tenor and make it cheap enough with shipping to the US that I could afford it.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

White Dog Eggs posted:

Shipping to the US is surprisingly reasonable at the moment! As long as you don't mind something made from an old pan or biscuit-tin then it shouldn't cost too much. I've just scored some mahogany from an old dresser that should be pretty good for a neck laminate or two. Using recycled stuff is fun.

That's fine by me. I like playing poo poo that is unique. That's the only thing I don't like about my acoustic tenor... It looks like every other acoustic tenor on the market. I'd prefer a pan or something substantial, I plan to gig with it and will need it to be somewhat resilient. If you can find a way to make it sound like a lovely AM radio as well as a full bodied sound, it'd be that much better. I can get you the specs for the neck of my tenor if you'd like.

Also, did you ever plaster my guts all over that Romanian Les Paul?

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

White Dog Eggs posted:

Also I may have a fun build coming up....

WILL have. Check your PayPal, duder.

WDE is going to build me an electric 4 string tenor guitar using a frying pan and other reclaimed/recycled parts, using the specs of my current guitar as a rough guideline.

The design instructions are for him to make it look like something you would make/find while scavenging through the ruins of post-apocalyptic backwoods hillbilly land. Think Fallout: West Virginia or some poo poo.

I think that will suit this thread nicely.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
Oh, you want some beer guitars?

Guy says he has like 30 of these. More pics on the ad.

Also, White Dog Eggs has been sending me pictures of the frying pan tenor guitar pre-build. I hope he makes posts in here with the build progress because this poo poo is going to be awesome. I especially like the cheese grater tremolo with BBQ fork trem bar plans he drew up.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

White Dog Eggs posted:

The heater in my workshop killed itself earlier, I had to bring all the wood into the the warm to stop the frost getting anything.

This is the spare room;

That wardrobe is stacked with wood, half finished guitars and various power tools, the clothes that were in there are hanging on a string I put up in the main bedroom.

When the Mrs gets back from work, I will be stabbed.

The one on the right in the clamps is mine.

Speaking of, here's some build photos of the frying pan tenor.

This is the donor pan next to the frying pan 6 string that WDE built a while ago.

The mahogany wardrobe door that has been chopped up and glued together to become the neck.

The purpleheart fretboard, which I've been told will end up a much more vibrant shade of purple once it's been sanded and finished.

The rough cut of the top of the guitar.

The rough cut on the pan, with the ruler showing where the neck will be.

The chrome rail that will become the pickups.

The rough sketch of the proposed tremolo system, made from the tailpiece of the Rom Paul mentioned earlier in the thread, a section of a cheese grater, and a BBQ fork handle for the trem arm.

As far as specs go:
  • 22 3/4" scale
  • Bolt on neck with a width of 1 1/2" to 1 3/4", 12" radius and Vintage Jumbo frets
  • Hand-made lipstick pickups (4k in the neck, 6-7k in the bridge) wired with a switchable filter system to make a "Wish You Were Here" AM Radio tone when engaged.
  • 1 meg volume pots, no tone controls. poo poo, I may forget the volume controls altogether and run the poo poo at full 100% of the time.
  • Switches used will be whatever crazy poo poo is lying around
  • Headstock will be 2x2, shape is undetermined at this point.

WDE, you have anything to add that I forgot?

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Dr. Faustus posted:

You know all those detuned bands? You know where the got the idea to tune down? King's X.

One of the reasons King's X never got a lot of guitar press outside of album reviews was Ty Tabor's fear that someone was going to steal his sound. Back in the early days, dude used to hide his poo poo under curtains so no one could see what equipment was or what his settings were. I'd see his name pop up in Guitar Player and poo poo, but they never covered him in-depth because he wouldn't share specs or even his basic rig info with anyone.

Kind of the opposite of most guitarists I know, who can't shut the gently caress up about their poo poo.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

unlawfulsoup posted:

I don't understand "experimental music" like Henry Kaiser and other similar noise.

One of my bands (Bum and Possum Combination) is a free jazz/noise/experimental thing I put together as a joke but has made more money than all of my actual serious bands combined. That should not be read as 'made a lot of money', by the way.

Most of the feedback I get after shows consists of something along the lines of 'What the gently caress WAS that?' or 'I don't know what to call that' and the occasional seriously angry dude ready to kick my rear end because he 'didn't get it' and therefore I was insulting his intelligence.

I do it because it's fun to make an unholy, glorious noise without worrying about hitting the right notes or sticking to a set formula for songs. People come up with the whole 'higher concept of transcending what people perceive as music' bullshit, but my purpose for this band is to beat on a synth with my fists for 45 minutes and get $20 and two well drinks as a result.

Here is our first basement EP and a live album that I threw together before my old drummer moved to Kentucky. We're now a 4 piece, have a much heavier sound, and spend our entire set laughing at each other for doing stupid poo poo while playing.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

unlawfulsoup posted:

Honestly you should join me, my keytar, fencing shirt, in the greatest (worst) NYC subway performance band. Now with more annoying random drum loops.

That sounds awesome. I'll bring my harmonicas and play them through a vocal effects pedal so it sounds like someone poured a bottle of ipecac into a lovely early 80's CASIO keyboard.

At our last show we managed to clear the entire room of any patrons who remained after the opening act, including several musicians who showed up to jam with us. The latter is strictly their own fault. I explicitly told everyone who expressed interest in sitting in that they needed to check out the recordings before they showed up. My musical direction is something along the lines of "We are recreating the assault on the Rebel outpost on the ice moon of Hoth. You are the turbolasers on the ground trying to stop the advance of the AT-AT tanks and stormtroopers" or "We are playing the soundtrack to a 1950's horror movie directed by Ed Wood." You'd be surprised how many musicians can't take instruction any less detailed than "All right guys, listen. It's a blues riff in B, watch me for the changes, and try keep up, ok?"

The only guy who stuck around was this bass player dude who I'd never met before. He comes up to me right as we are about to start and says "OK, I'm plugged in but I'm confused. What are we playing?" I looked at him and said "It would probably be best if you played the bass since that's what's in your hand. You're starting us off. loving play something." He almost poo poo himself then started playing some funk groove and it all went uphill from there.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

unlawfulsoup posted:

My cousin was going to do the harmonica, but I think he will have to settle for squeezebox now that we have an electro-harmonica.

I have a electric kazoo as well. Half the loving poo poo I own belongs in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
I'm not a fan of the color, but I kinda like the shape.

• Locked thread