Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I've had this game for ages yet never make it past the first year.
There just seems to be this hang up where I will manually set priorities but they don't follow it all that well.

That and I don't know what to prioritize.
I make loads of food, fill a fridge, make medicine and decent defenses and then everyone dies to a loving squirrel.

Edit: I'll spend the time to make sure all my people don't have any tasks they cannot do but then will refuse to do things in game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Thanks for the tips, folks.

When I do crops, I wall them off and exclude the roof. I suspected animals may gently caress up my crops. Am I wasting wood?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Azhais posted:

No, wild animals will gladly eat your crops. Building "fences" like that is fine, or just murdering everything that gets close to your colony. With colony manager I always make a "kill everything" zone that covers the fields so any animals that wander close get hunted immediately regardless of food levels

I didn't know you could designate hunting zones.

This game rules.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ah, I'm trying to run as vanilla as possible but that seems like something that should be baked in, given how micro this game can get.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

UHHHHH
I set my best miner to just dig out a big square of mostly steel.

Nex thing I know a giant maggot with a napalm launcher comes out of a dark room and kills everyone without breaking a sweat.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Look at this idiot saying I should start paying attention!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I know the last expansion JUST came out but if anyone is looking for RimWorld + Terraria, I highly recommend Necesse.

It's very cheap but seems feature complete.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

StrixNebulosa posted:

How does it play?

Quite well. A little basic so far (I've killed the second boss, not sure how many there are) but there seems to be a ton of neat stuff to find.
The world is made up of islands, so it kinda feels like Wind Waker. Each one has their own biome and some are weird and unique.

I was having a fun time killing goblins with a boomerang until I found a staff that let me summon tiny, invincible zombies to fight for me.

Oh and the community building is pretty streamlined and not nearly as complex as RimWorld. That being said, it's MUCH faster to get cool buildings going.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

How does anyone play without Cannibalism: Accepted?

Sure rice and muffalo is good but there are literally people delivering their meat to you and making furniture out of their skin is economical.

Really, cannibalism is the most green way to play.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

pink noise posted:

nutrient paste meals prevent food poisoning and use significantly less resources than simple meals so they're a good choice early in challenge sort of playthroughs like extreme biomes trying to get hydro going before you starve, or solo starts where food poisoning plus another minor event can end your game

I was doing a Mechanist (or whatever it's called) game where just before T2 he got the flu and thought bed rest would get rid of it.
It progressed pretty rapidly and none of my robots could help and he died.

I forgot to check Self-Heal :negative:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Do people move or run multiple settlements often?
I just find a nice spot in the spawn map and hunker down, using whatever is available.

Feels like I'm missing out.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

I've always wanted to try a nomad base but I always get to attached to my starting base while I'm in the "collecting resources" faze.

Yeah that's my problem.
If there was a way to get a Mad Max caravan going to haul pretty much everything to a new map, I'd be much more likely to do it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Eiba posted:

100% good guy cannibal run. Just, don't ask what we did with all the human skin and where that pile of silver came from. No need to waste anything on the rim.

That's how I play!

We accept and protect the downtrodden, reject authority and consume those that would harm us.

Bud, if you didn't want me to eat stew out of your skull you shoulda left me alone to tend to my strawberries.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

OwlFancier posted:

You should be able to attach more organs to people.

Like, if you can graft on arms and legs and organs freely I don't see why you have to be limited to just one. Why do I have to cut an arm off to add a bionic one? Why can I not make kidneyman, the man with a dozen kidneys who can shoot a piss laser across the field and destroys all disease instantly.

You're gonna make a colony of Invader Zims and I wanna see it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is there a way to make research speed increase as you go up in tiers?

I want to do a caveman game but I've heard their research speed is glacial no matter what.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Jarvisi posted:

How do you do these mechantor fights? I'm just really bad at fighting these huge robot swarms

You should be able to craft an EMP launcher no problem.
Doing the first fight with one and two military drones shouldn't be too hard.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Had to take care of a couple of lynx's for a mission and restricted them to a little area with food.
A refugee I was hosting decided to pick a fight with a bear, got seriously hosed up and went through yayo withdrawal while in the hospital. I didn't have any to give him, so he went nuts and had a break specifically to kill my animals.
He killed my three venerated rats and went back to bed... only to get back up right away to kill the lynx pair.

I love this loving game.

Anyone playing multiplayer? The popular mod is largely stable. Only did it for a couple hours but it seems neat. We'd like to control different groups and eventually split to different areas on the map but dunno if that's possible. I guess for now we could make two restricted zones and each only build in one.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Does this game still cap tech levels by how you start?
I remember the tribal start couldn't get very high in research but I'd really like to play an Ages of Man game.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ahh, gotcha. I'd just manually change the research rate while making a custom ideology, then.
Nothing against mods, just don't want to add one more needlessly.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Just realized I never made a beast master colony.
Maybe start with two people who cannot fight at all but are insanely good at animals, social and medical.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

If someone made a 3d version of this with the ability to directly control a settler, I would pay an obscene amount for it.

But, like Dwarf Fortress, the complexity bars that from happening any time soon.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Grape, I know you're used to being the center of attention but please don't OD during a wedding and then immediately go in to labor, thanks.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

isndl posted:

I'm triggered by your stove being in the same room as three dirty workbenches.

If you keep the ground clean, it doesn't seem to matter. Now if I could just stick to one colony long enough to make specialized rooms.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I've put in hundreds of hours and literally never used nutrient paste.
Gonna have to try it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Playing without Pickup and Haul is really painful, goddamn.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

isndl posted:

It had a different appearance in my game, so I guess it has variant styles. Only one skeleton too.

If you wait about 5 days without touching it, it will go twisted and change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The gently caress. My 8/14 double passion ghoul got absolutely smoked by a wandering feral ghoul who was 2/3.
Then my hunter got knocked out by a muffalo, of all things, and the only other colonist went to save him and got eaten by a wolf.

I love and hate this game.