Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Has there been any sort of date set for the next major content patch? I love the game but I feel I've done pretty much all there is to do here at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Generation Internet posted:

Missed this in the log, it's the little things like this which really come together to make that great, unique 'Dwarf Fortess' experience. Imagine a colony of psychopathic cannibals during a 6 month night. loving vampires, man.

I hope he adds some nocturnal animals or events to go with this. As it stands the only difference between night and day seems to be a change in temperature and a minor mood hit. (As well as most colonists choosing to sleep at night, but that wouldn't matter if there was permanent night.

Actually that would be a neat new trait: "Nocturnal - Colonist prefers to sleep during the day, and work during the night. Gets +5 mood instead of -5 from "in Darkness", and has reversed sleep cycle."

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Bondematt posted:

So is the best defense still just a couple of rooms with a single turret in the center for it's blast damage when it blows up?

It was always hilarious having like 30 tribals cram in there and seeing a good 1/4 of them just blink out of existence.

I always found tribals and pirates to be very easy compared to the later mechanoid waves. Especially the caterpillars that can take a doomsday rocket to the face and not even blink.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Pound_Coin posted:

I haven't played in a while/few versions, is the long corridor still the best defence?

Every time I try doing this, there's always some fuckers with m24's that end up taking potshots at the turrets.

The Scyther's charge lance also outranges them.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Can't you just do the same, only with a bunch of reverse coolers? Should be a lot less work.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just started playing this again after some months hiatus.
There are two Grizzly Bears hanging around my house, should I be worried? They don't seem hostile so far.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ok I tamed the Grizzly Bears, but now some of my medicine is missing. Do Grizzly Bears eat medicine?

Edit: nvm, it just hadn't been hauled after I moved my stockpile.
Edit2: Help, I'm being overrun by chickens

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jul 17, 2016

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm running the Steam version, and there is definitely a Joy bar. People also use the joy stations regularly. Try validating files, maybe?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there any benefit to having chickens? I got two x10 waves of them early on, but I'm considering butchering them all, as they eat way more than they give.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Get them just a little bit of hay. That'll keep them going for a nice lengthy period of time. They provide eggs and more chickens, so they are a good source of meat and eggs while also being a nice trade commodity by themselves.

Ah, think I'll just butcher all the chicks until I get some hay production up and running then. I used the rich explorer start, so I'm a bit short on manpower at the moment.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I've got tons of grass around, but they seem to prefer prepared potatoes and survival meals.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Some 55 year old dude that randomly joined my colony just keeled over from a heart attack a couple of days after arriving, my doctor couldn't save him in time. Is that normal?

Edit: He didn't have any special health conditions other than an old scar when he joined, if I remember correctly.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 17, 2016

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Any tips for dealing with an early Heat Wave event with the Tribal start?

Edit: It's 50C everywhere, and this heat wave shows no signs of stopping after 3 days. RIP this colony I guess

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jul 18, 2016

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, probably, but it was early enough that I was still setting up separate housing, so I didn't really have time to make something that elaborate. Nice to know for the future, though!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Can I order my pet Warg to eat enemy corpses somehow, so I don't have to bury them?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I don't know whether to be annoyed or happy when the area I had planned to dig out a bunch of bedrooms in turns out to be an enormous vein of plasteel.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 18, 2016

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Any way to force feed a colonist having a mental breakdown (daze)? The guy with gutworms decided to wander off, and now he's starving to death just walking around, and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot I can do about it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
When was that patch released? Because my woes with heat waves was yesterday.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Always remember: Cowboy hats save lives.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I keep getting heat waves within the first 10-15 days when I try to start as a tribe, and at that point there's gently caress-all you can do about it. Frustrating

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, as the stranded colonists or the explorer, a Freezer is the first priority, but you don't really get that luxury as tribals.

RIP Sun Village, you met an ironic end.

Edit: Well, perhaps not entirely. My pyromaniac, Heat loving, Sanguine chef seems to be having the time of her life. Maybe I should just try to see how long I can survive with only her.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 19, 2016

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Azhais posted:

If you can mine into a mountain/hillside it's OK. Internal temperature is normalized somewhat
Not really, I tried that earlier. Maybe if you make an elaborate setup of airlocks it'll help.

It does help if you have a freezer, obviously, but as mentioned, tribals.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Phew, I'm glad I culled that 16 size Muffalo herd before that random psychic wave drove them all mad.

Couple of questions: Do events scale up as fast for tribes as it does for the crash survivors/explorer? Also, is it possible to upgrade from tribal tech?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

OwlFancier posted:

Edit the starting gear to give everyone cowboy hats.

It's a tiresome oversight but easily corrected.

Gonna make a "Wild West" scenario

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I kinda just release prisoners if I decide they're not worth the effort. Am I doing it wrong?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Got a message about a Pop Idol on the run from a nearby group of pirates, so I decided to let her in. Turns out she was 80 years old, frail and with a bad back, and the pirates caught up to her long before I could intervene.

Sorry lady, I tried.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Why is it that every time disease strikes my colonies, it's 2-3 people getting it at the exact same time? That has to be a bug, right?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I released a prisoner and after leaving base he got mauled and eaten by an angry bear, and all my colonists got a negative 7 mood for a week because of it.

Guys, he was out of the base, it wasn't really our fault.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just sell them to the first trader that buys animals. Vargs are worth a fair bit.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Daze lasts way too long for a minor breakdown. I've had people walk around for up to 24 hours.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Can infestations spawn on smoothed floors?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Azhais posted:

Yes. Anywhere under a mountain, flooring of any variety doesn't matter

Thanks. Guess I should dig out some spare tunnels in the back of the base to lower the chance of getting one in the middle of my dining room. Also, my last infestation had two hives spawn at the same time, is that random?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Toxic Fallout and a Psychic Drone ship part within 3 hours of each other. Sure, why not.

Edit: is there any way to designate where Caravans and traders from other towns can set up? I don't really endorse them hanging out right in-between my turrets and the funnel I've set up for raids.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 24, 2016

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
How the hell do I get these moronic traders to not stand in the middle of the drat firing line for my turrets? I have a huge open space further into my base that would be a hundred times better for them to hang around in.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Flesh Forge posted:

Define a "build roof" zone over it, being in darkness helps a lot too.

Also very useful if you have to fend of an attack during a toxic fallout

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just harvest every bush in the vicinity of the starting location and you should have enough food to last a while.

Disclaimer, I haven't tried tribals on desert or Tundra/Ice Sheet biomes, so I don't know how they work there.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
What do people here usually set their freezer to? I like to leave it on -5 to have some leeway in case it suddenly sees a lot of traffic.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ah, I used to have it at around -10 until I started building the cooking/butchering stations inside the freezer, and now I keep it fairly close to 0 so the people working there don't get annoyed/frostbitten.

For the problem with people eating off the freezer floor. Colonists will only eat at a table if it's close enough to where they pick up their food, so build the dining room relatively close to the freezer. I usually have it in the next room over.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 31, 2016

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm just hoping he'll focus on adding more scenario's, "goals" and events/animals to spice thing up abit once he's satisfied with the base game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
What happens if you sell an animal that someone is bonded to? Do they still get the negative mood modifier?