Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Yep, love this game, it's the KS I'm most happy with backing. Haven't played for a while, think I'm going to wait for the next update before jumping back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Please say they're like megabeasts from DF.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
^^ :argh:

OwlFancier posted:

According to the thread on the forums he posted for feedback on whether to merge planks and logs, he may be returning to it with some sort of material system in the future.

Feel free to register and add your feedback, most of the changes in the alpha 4 subversions were due to feedback on the forums.

Also sieges sound pretty radical, I hope turrets get some balance changes to compensate for the manning requirement. Make them a bit more like emplaced machineguns.

quote:

- Turrets can now require manning to work. This is the case for artillery.
Doesn't say anything about making regular defense turrets manned.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
So, I tried installing the mod pack linked above, but my game locks up as soon as I go into the mod menu. Anyone else experience this or know how to fix it?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Had my first funny as hell death spiral. I had four colonists, two of whom were not capable of doctoring (this will become relevant), and two prisoners. I got attacked by a group of 8 or so raiders, and held it off with only one of my colonists incapacitated (on of the ones capable of doctoring), and took four prisoners. So, my remaining doctor went to work, single-mindedly healing up the various injuries. Unfortunately, she prioritized the prisoners over the incapacitated doctor, and even more unfortunately, she was so absorbed in her work that she forgot to eat. Eventually, she suffered a mental break, and I had to arrest her as well. This is when I found out that doctors are the only ones who can feed incapacitated people. So, one doctor slowly starved to death, and the other was a prisoner, and my last two colonists were rushing around, trying to recruit SOMEONE who could salvage this mess. Then one of my prisoners went on a rampage and had to be killed. THEN, my remaining doctor, who'd had a break, went on a rampage as well, killed her cellmate, and then was incapacitated by one of my two remaining colonists, and starved to death. By the end, I was left with my two colonists, and two prisoners, one of whom had a 3% chance to be recruited, and the other, who was perpetually under the loyalty threshold. Everything was pretty much stable though, so I figured I would be okay.

NOPE. An ancient ship crashed next to my settlement, and was putting out a psychic signal that would eventually drive everyone mad. I manned the mortars to try and take it out, but no one could hit it, so I had the bright idea to grab some molotovs and burn it down. It was guarded by a scyther, which promptly one-shot my molotover, and then the ship sent out a psychic pulse that drove all of the animals insane, so my last colonist went down under a mountain of squirrels. RIP

E: Oh, and I figured out after my second-to-last guy died that metal don't burn so good :(

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 14, 2014

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

That thing should be turned off, as described here since it's far too powerful.

"The crashed ship part event seen in the release video is still present."

E: To clarify, I was going off of what the event message said, I didn't see if it was actually doing anything, but I'm on the latest version, and he edited it out himself, so yeah.

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 14, 2014

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Leif. posted:

This loving game :allears:

Goddamn I cannot wait for LP's to start springing up. :allears:

E: Seriously, though, between this and Clockwork Empires, it is going to be a glorious year to be an LP reader.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Pyrion Flax posted:

Core is still there.

I just tried to unpack the zip and specifically told it not to overwrite anything. So I don't know wtf is up.

Might be you still have your old enabled mod list, so it's trying to either load mods you don't have, or it's trying to load mods that don't work with alpha 6. go to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld\Config\ and delete ModsConfig.xml

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Pyrion Flax posted:

ok will do, thanks.

Right I tried that, I can load the mods into the game, I load the one called "base" first, exit the client, restart it and load all the other mods.

And now when I click the close button on the mods screen and go back to the main menu, the log fills up with a million things and the game just sits there without ever bringing up the buttons again, just the space background.

Are you using mods that have been updated to alpha 6? Not all of them have been yet.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Has anyone seen the "Claim" button, any idea what it's used for? I haven't found a structure which accepts it yet. Events only?

It works on any of the buildings that spawn on map generation, including partially built ones. You've gotta drag select the walls.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Though be aware that a forest biome introduces some interesting considerations for defence.

The trees will give attackers lots of cover, so you need to clear out some firing lines. Also the abundance of vegetation makes fire a particularly dangerous thing, which is another reason to clear out a firebreak.

Alternatively, clear just a little bit away from the base, let them hide behind trees, and break out the incendiary mortars :getin: :supaburn:

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

illectro posted:

Funnily enough, i've been really busy with other games for a long time, but all the stories here have convinced me to go back and cover it a bit more.

Yesssss, more manly Manley LP's!

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Katsuma posted:

Well, the game doesn't so much crash as it does hang, forever, upon clicking the "close" button after applying mods. Have to shut it down with the task manager, so there's no real crash report generated. I'll try a few things, see if I can't pin this problem down. And yeah, I knew to delete the stuff in the documents folders.

Go to C:\Users\YOU\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld\Config\ and delete ModsConfig.xml

Can we get that put in huge font with sirens around it in the OP?

E: Wait, looks like you're having a different issue. Well, never mind.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Played around with a new colony, my sharpshooter got his arm cut off, but I gave him a bionic eye, and later a bionic arm, and he still wrecked poo poo with his M24. He even singlehandedly destroyed a crashed ship and the mechanoids that spawned from it, first time that damned event hasn't murdered my colony. The storyteller tweaks seem to have worked a treat for not randomly murdering me. Game owns even more now. I can't wait for mods adding Deus Ex style bionics.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

dylguy90 posted:

The only mod I'd really caution about is the Improved Turret Mod - the "improved turrets" can defeat entire attacks singlehandedly and shoot over mountains. They remove any sense of risk from the game.

To be fair, in the previous version the game would sometimes just decide to kill you, dropping huge waves of mechanoids or pirates right on you, and without those turrets there wasn't much to be done (for me, at least). They were tweaked in this update to be more fair, so now I'd agree that they're overkill.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

I also want to see what effect the trigger happy ability has on a minigun, just an endless hail of bullets that doesn't hit anything I'm hoping.

I sort of wish there was a suppression mechanic in the game. Throw a minigun on someone with trigger happy, and he'll probably never actually kill anyone, but he'll definitely restrict their ability to move around and aim effectively. Make accuracy better across the board, so you really want to take advantage of it to avoid casualties and such. Likewise, if the enemy can suppress your guys, it becomes much riskier to send out one or two snipers to dismantle a group of pirates, because if they get suppressed they're probably boned. It'd likely require tweaks to the number of non-tribal enemies that spawn, though.

The way I'm envisioning it, a combined arms approach to combat would become very effective, with gunners suppressing enemies, snipers for damage and taking out enemy gunners, and rifles and the like sort of in-between. It'd also open up stuff like flashbangs, so you could flash enemies and rush them with shotguns or melee weapons (on a related note, let me put grenades and guns on the same unit).

Another idea would be some kind of spotting system for mortars, if you have a unit within a certain range of the target, mortars become more accurate. Maybe even a fog of war system, opening up surveillance cameras, binoculars and the like.

I dunno, probably too complicated, but the ideas were knocking around my head when playing earlier.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
So, I installed this mod, because more random events are awesome, right? For reference, I was also using Prepare Carefully and PowerSwitch.

:stonk:

I'll spoiler them in case anyone doesn't want the FUN ruined.

I started with 4 colonists, and almost immediately upon landing, I got hit by an event that causes half of your colonists to rampage. Luckily I managed to incap them both, and one of the colonists it didn't effect was my doctor, so there was no real harm done, thought this is when I noticed that my doc spawned with cataracts in both eyes and a bad back, so he never got a good heal. Ever. I'd rather not think about that event triggering when the colony is larger.

So, life goes on, get my colony set up, buy a few slaves from traders, things are looking up. I get an event with a message that some people are abandining their ship because something is on it with them, and three drop pods crash down on the other side of the map. I send out people to capture them, and one of them turns into some bigass slug looking monster. I'm sure that if it had managed to hit anyone it would have hosed them up, but it was slow and could apparently only punch people, so my sniper ended it in short order. It did blow up when it died, which would be fun if I was using short-ranged weapons.

Whatever, wasn't a big deal. I kept playing for another hour or so, with nothing particularly significant happening, Started working on a ship, because I had loads of plasteel I could mine, was nearly done, and then I get this message (paraphrased): The Void has come to this world! Keep close to the light if you wish to survive! :stare: And then it started a 60 second countdown. I immediately drafted everyfuckingone and had them get inside my dining hall, and just as the last person got inside, the countdown ended and EVERYTHING OUTSIDE OF THAT ONE ROOM WENT PITCH BLACK. My turrets immediately went crazy shooting at something, what, I have no idea, but the door to my dining hall got broken down immediately, and I could see everything else taking damage, including the walls of my dining hall. Nothing came inside, though, so I planned on just chilling and hopefully waiting it out. Then one of my sharpshooters got the alert that a mental break was imminent, and with no way to prevent him from leaving and forcing him to use some hastily put down sleeping spots, I decided to undraft him, just to see if he could make it to his room (the light would have automatically come on when he got inside). NOPE, he took two steps into the darkness and just died. No incap, no sounds of him being hit, just dead. :gonk: I kind of resigned myself to losing the colony, which sucked because I was one AI Persona Core away from having a finished ship, and then a completely unrelated event fired, saying that a ship had detected the distress beacon when our original ship went down, and had decided to come rescue us!I had the choice to either keep playing or accept rescue, and I accepted because I would have been away soon anyway, and it just kind of dumped me back to the main menu. I like to imagine that they came swooping down with floodlights on and Ride of the Valkyries blaring, though.

This game :allears:

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Tony Montana posted:

Euthanasia time :(

And waste perfectly good organs?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Tony Montana posted:

oh...

game rocks :D

Yes. Yes it does.

Bhodi posted:

Funny; my limiting factor always seems to be medkits. My guys are a hurting, half-crippled wreck of a crew, missing all sorts of fingers, hands, and limbs because I can't heal them in time. Mostly, I think, it's due to my inability to create tradegoods. I wish I could just carve rock statues or something because cowboy hats take a lot of resources.

Just go on a hunting spree and make clothes out of the leather you get from butchering. If you have a high skill miner and plasteel deposits, it sells for quite a bit.

I'm gonna post the list of mods I'm currently using, one of which lets you craft bionics. It's a bit unbalanced, though, because bionic eyes only require 15 plasteel, and they usually sell for more than 15 plasteel costs to buy.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Tony Montana posted:

So I led a blind, slow and mentally disabled person to a bed, where I knocked her out and took out her heart and put it in a box to perhaps use later if I need it. What was left of her body was buried in a shallow grave just outside the complex.

Jesus Christ.

What a waste. You forgot to take out a lung and kidney first.

I can't wait for the inevitable life support so I can them of every single organ (and maybe even grow more in their comatose bodies :getin:)

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Sage Grimm posted:

Yeah, at that point you should have some sort of wall around your compound and one way in, one way out filled with turrets. And then you get that effect that shuts off all your powered machinery and then 15+ pirates attack your somewhat thriving colony of five.

The only combatant worth his salt anymore is a guy suited up in power armour and lugging around a minigun. I had two really good snipers but one lost an eye and the other had someone manage to hit a 1% shot blowing off his left hand when he was working over a siege party. :argh:

Just save up lots of silver and buy some bionic eyes and arms.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Just Chamber posted:

I'd say what I'd really love is a button that just says "hey get the gently caress inside you're under siege" and a decided zone where they are only allowed to be in when it's pressed, like DF has. The amount of times I've had colonists who weren't drafted decide to go run into the middle of a gun fight to go and repair the wall outside is maddening.

Yeah, this is one of the things I really would like, the other being letting me set the priority for individual crafting bills across different workshops, so I don't have to suspend my crematorium when I really need to get some other crafting done.

Tony Montana posted:

Great tip. Yeah, it's a bit of a weird thing that beacon, along with the stockpile needing to be uncovered (so the ship can beam poo poo up and down I guess).

They use drop pods similar to what your initial colonists land in. Don't want your shiny new bionics landing on the top of the mountain you dug into, do you?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Apoplexy posted:

There's a mod called Extended Surgery Mod that allows you to schedule surgeries to hack off limbs, I think. Prostheses and bionics for if that's the case, too! (And, if I'm mistaken, then at least when some dick gets his arm taken off by a raider, you can replace it then!)

I've been using the mod for a couple of days now. The name is honestly a bit of a misnomer, the main feature is it lets you build a workbench to craft bionics. It does add a couple of new surgeries to go with some new prosthetics, though, (glass eye to replace a lost one because missing an eye now makes your colonists ugly, hook hand replacement which is pretty much the hand version of a peg leg, and you can repair brain damage with an AI persona core now). Still a sick mod.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Nullkigan posted:

Lockable doors and prosthetics/bionics are part of A7 by default. There's no need for extended surgery (unless you want eyepatches and hookhands) or Misc. with MAI (unless you want the other dozen features in that pack) for that basic functionality.

The problem with locked doors is that the inside of your colony then becomes one giant room and thereby generates cabin fever penalties for the folks who don't go outside often. I think. Maybe if you don't have a roof it works?

As I said, the main feature of Extended Surgery is you can craft your own bionics, rather than relying on the whims of the traders.

E: wait, my post came after yours, so you'd probably pick that up anyway. I should not post before I'v woken up fully.

Anyway, for content, I'm thinking I'm gonna disable the zombie apoc mod, it's a really neat idea, but goddammit does the storyteller like sending waves of 50 of them at me, to the point where even with a ton of turrets, I can't fight them all off. I get that that's the point, but they are a major pain in the rear end.

E2:

Apoplexy posted:

Locked doors, a means of preventing your colonists from getting outside and being a dead 'tarded-out spacefaring colonist! Conscript 'em, order 'em inside a building/complex, lock the door. Boom, you now have a portion of your populace SAFE! Since you can enable and disable the locks at any time, it makes crises rather easy to deal with, whilst allowing full functionality in times of peace without having to build a specific thing upon each transition to and from either state!

Been using this too, it aparently just got an update that lets you automagically draft people and move them to preplanned spots :aaaaa: Got my "GET THE gently caress INSIDE YOU IDIOTS button now!

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Oct 6, 2014

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

deratomicdog posted:

Is anyone else getting a bug where they can't deconstruct or mine existing stone walls?

Gotta claim them first, under orders.

E: beaten like a drum

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
It's been awhile, and I was always really bad at DF, but I want to say that it has 'make until x' as well, though I think you have to have an overseer or some other noble for it.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Drink Cheerwine posted:

some other weapon mod claims to have dual-wield but i haven't checked it out yet

It's not what you're thinking. The mod adds a bunch of weapons including a gladius (roman short sword) and a scuti (shield), but it's kind of worthless to just equip a shield, so he let you DUAL-WIELD THEM... by making another new weapon that just combines them.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Alternatively, is she drafted? :v:

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

IAmTheRad posted:

Nobody in my village of 4 goes around and researches unless I turn of all their other options. Then the guy locks himself in the research chamber and nearly hits his mental breaking point because he stays inside until he starts to starve. Doesn't help that he thinks his room is spatious and then he thinks his bed is cramped.

Use manual priorities (checkbox in the overview menu). Goes 1-4 and off, 1 being highest priority. Always set firefighting and patient to 1, excluding your main doctor(s), who get patient 2 and doctoring 1. For people you want researching, set hauling and cleaning to 4, researching to 3, and any tasks they should focus on when needed (growing, hunting, mining, etc) to 2.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

wiegieman posted:

I'm only seeing steel stuff in my build menu. I've already researched stone cutting. Can I fix this?

You're right-clicking on the item, right?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Alaan posted:

Engraving history may be a little rough still :psyduck:

What are you talking about, that's clearly Inspector Clouseau investigating the case of the Bride of The Fly

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Eh, it's not ideal to have your doctor be a fighter. I guess if your other two are also good and it's a do-or-die situation, but otherwise there's too much chance of him taking a bullet and you having no one to heal him up.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Moddington posted:

They're vents. So they are inefficiently laid out, but because you should always connect vents in parallel, not in series.

I learned this the dead-to-hypothermia way.

By this do you mean
code:
----------DH------------
|--VD------VD------VD--|
|       |       |      |
|       |       |      |
|       |       |      |
------------------------
where D is a door, H is the heater, and V is a vent?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

No more having to manually make colonists clean every few days, just set aside an hour or two per day for that poo poo!

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Tsyni posted:

Now we need baby animals and animal breeding.

July 7
You can sell your tame animals.
Appropriate tame female animals are milkable and your colonists will periodically milk them to yield milk, a raw food resource.
Female animals can be pregnant and give birth.
Male animals sometimes approach nearby female animals and mate with them. This can make them pregnant.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Dotcom656 posted:

So I've bought this recently. played a little and went looking for mods. Found the SK global modpack and installed that. Now its not letting me select materials to make walls and other things with. its only letting me try to make gold walls. what the hell?

If that includes EdB Interface, they changed it so you right click to select materials, so you don't have to select every time you go to build something, is my only guess.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Okay, trainable animals is exactly what I didn't realize I wanted real bad.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
I hope someone makes another modpack that's just fun stuff that plays well together so I can be lazy, as opposed to the two modpacks on the forums now which are 'be forced to micromanage every colonist constantly and research every usable object.'

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

IAmTheRad posted:

Mods made checking stats easier.

Someone already made my hangover idea for a scenario. Also there are mods on the Workshop. CCL still needs to be installed manually because they say it has issues with the Steam Workshop. Probably because it includes non-standard mod files or something.

The dev said they're opposed to putting it on the workshop because you can't set stuff to not autoupdate, potentially breaking saves and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

vandalism posted:

That was the prepare carefully mod that worked as of alpha 13 but is no longer in development. The author aside did not release the source code, :rip:

quote:

I've been doing some second-guessing on my decision to not update Prepare Carefully for Alpha 14. I have not made a final decision on what to do, but I'm in the process of making things easier for other people to pick up and continue with the mod (or to create a derivative work).