Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
How many times do we have to teach you this lesson old man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
I haven't fought any of the mech bosses yet, but for the regulars, you just need to counter their specialization. You wanna snipe the scythers, and bludgeoning a lancer with your gun is better than trying to have a gunfight with it.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
once again in classic rimworld fashion we are tricked into drawing swastikas under the guise of space efficiency

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
You could probably call this a cheat, but I highly recommend map preview mod for new games or relocating colonies https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2800857642

While you're at it pick up geological landforms https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2773943594 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-C341PbwCU

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
do you think that when humans left earth to colonize the galaxy, they took with them some trace molecules or atoms that were once in or part of hitler's body, and so the root cause of all the hosed up poo poo in this game is due to hitler propagating throughout the cosmos?

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
on my last map I dealt with infestations in the nearby cave system by subdividing it with walls and laying down hay everywhere, so if one popped up I would get someone to chuck a molly in there and it would be gone by next day

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014

Tesla was right posted:

I got the nutrient paste pipes, a mod that makes babies able to eat nutrient paste, and a mod that lets need bars overfill.

The side-effect of all these things together is that the nutrient paste dripper feeds the baby a full-sized meal, then it barfs all over my floor because it's horrendously overfed.

this mental image is something I could have done without

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
So I've had the same colony going since biotech launched and I think I've got the hang of it to the point where I can just grow as many high quality colonists as I need, and I'm thinking where I should go from here. I remember you get the option with the ship win to choose who to send, and can continue playing with those left behind right? Are the other win conditions similar? Are some repeatable? I think it would be neat to just try to do all of them using the same descendants if I can

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
waiting for that mod to come out will mean you will never play. it's been "almost out" for like 3 years

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
so it looks like there are absolutely no downsides to using growth vats from ages 0-3 and then 13-18

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
literally an imperialist pig

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
Is there anyone here familiar with save our ship's current status as to what's working or not in the 1.4 github branch? Like major features and show stoppers to decide if it's worth playing yet

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014

HelloSailorSign posted:

You can't cape with recon armor though :negative:

the cape is just a fancier duster, they occupy all the same slots and their stats are identical

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
So I've found a neat mod combo going to deal with the absurd suicidal raids that push you toward building killboxes problem.
First I installed the CAI 5000 ai mod that really does wonders to make enemies act in a reasonable way and resist getting funneled into obvious chokes, they properly reposition to stay in appropriate range for the weapon they have while taking cover too, overall fantastic improvement that actually makes combat way more challenging. It has an optional fog of war feature too but I don't think I will use it.
Then I pair that with the Enemy Self Preservation mod that makes human raiders individually flee if they're at risk of dying, which is realistic but makes the combat easier.

So the end result is that killbox meta is dead, you'll be building realistic emplacements fighting smart enemies, and your minimum win scenario will be forcing a retreat where a lot of failed attackers survive. There won't be absurd mountains of corpses, and fleeing enemies will take their loot with them, so you get to make a choice to pursue or not, since good gear may be worth the effort, or alternatively the upside of not pursuing is winning a defense does not snowball colony wealth.

Mechanoids never flee though so this makes them even more dangerous, thankfully we can now build tanks.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
Yeah I was kinda iffy about getting Royalty, it ended up being the last DLC I bought but I did not regret buying it. I noticed it added a bunch of complementary features to the game like what has already been mentioned like quests and gear - but additionally it is the only DLC apart from Anomaly that adds new music, and it adds raid variety like mechanoid clusters of all things. I've played enough of the game that I want to support the dev anyway.

Also it opens up the two most compelling VFE mods that for once are actually concise in scope - empire and deserters.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
how is it with so many mods out there no one has made a substantial improvement on randy

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
Too much micro in a rtwp combat game? You need to brush up on your baldur's gate 1/2

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
Most people watch Gordon Ramsay or whatever for cooking inspiration but me no I watch John Carpenter's the thing

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
they need to de-abstract chemfuel into petrol and diesel for that added risk of loving up your travel plans to get the cube

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
I decided to try my hand at fixing up an abandoned mod that I really liked (and it looks like I'm the 4th in a line of code janitors for this thing breaking between versions) so if anyone cares here is realistic planets for 1.5 https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3225521979

It can help you play out your own legally distinct dune, it can group faction bases together real nation-state-like, and it's very vanilla and not too crazy with biomes

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014

Tankbuster posted:

Does it work with the mod that makes the map look prettier?

yes it will work out of the box with it, but that mod has yet to get its own 1.5 so it's a bit buggy right now

highly recommend getting the geological landforms and biome transitions mods too while you're at it

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014

Danaru posted:

drat kid that's some pretty advanced reading

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014

bitterandtwisted posted:

Can you spread your ideology if you start with fewer than 3 colonists so can't assign a priest?

I don't remember where I read this or I could be making this all up but I'm pretty sure there are built in mechanics to tip the scale in favor of your custom ideology when you have low numbers. They get a percent multiplier in conversion strength. All colonists also try to convert in idle conversations, and it applies there too. It's to address the game starts with single colonists like naked brutality or rich explorer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
yeah geological landforms (and the author's accompanying mods biome transitions and map preview) are top tier mods that are universally compatible with other custom content and have no reason to ever leave off your mod list

on the topic of mods, it seems like the prettier map and set up camp mod which have yet to get their 1.5 updates have now been rolled into regrowth core https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2260097569

which is nice and all but at the same time gives me a bit of scope creep unease