Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Leaving some hay on a shelf outside is easy mode for hunting in the winter or on bare maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Prepare for Combat lets you tweak the values for raid calculations, I use it to make overall wealth a bit less important : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1722803450

Kafouille fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 12, 2019

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Someone made a version of Extended Storage that works much better, using the same graphics : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1617282896

It can even stack clothes, which is really handy.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Sillybones posted:

Extended Storage sounds good until you realise it only stores one version of one type of thing at once. That was the problem I was trying to solve!

The mod I linked allows multiple type of items in the same storage.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Nalesh posted:

Turn corpses into ash, then combine ash and poop I think? Might be another mod that has compatibility with bad hygiene maybe, been a while.

It's from the Fertile Fields / Bad Hygiene compatibility patch

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1602597619

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
CE really should have been split in like 4-5 mods, one that added the revised bullet calcs, one for ammo, one for the damage changes, etc.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Pawns are worth a decent amount of wealth, 5 vs 3 dudes is going to be a significant difference.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Been trying my hand at making a timelapse, RIP my challenge Randy Rough ironman Tribal colony with no stonecutting allowed on a wood poor map, just to use the Ceramics mod.

https://i.imgur.com/A9tx517.mp4

Kafouille fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 3, 2019

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
You can use any plant for kibble, hay is just useful because it's not edible otherwise for non herbivores and has good yields.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Dragongem posted:

Anyone ever run into a bug where their colonist portraits at the top disappears, and the UI flickers? It's not the setting to show colonist pawns at the top, unfortunately. I thought it was a resolution error but apparently messing with the resolution didn't fix it. I can post a list of my mods later but I didn't know if anyone's run into that specific issue.

I guess I have too many mods :(

Do you have any caravans that are bugged and empty on your map ? This can cause it and Save our Ship 2 seems to have a problem with GiddyUp regarding this right now. You can remove one of those and merge another caravan in the empty one to get rid of it (Use the dev tools to teleport around if needed)

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Tias posted:

I somehow misplaced the knowledge of how to dig up dirt in Fertile Fields. The doc isn't helping, it just says I can dig up soil and move it freely, but I can't find the command :confused:

It's in the Terraform menu on the left, not with the farm field tiles.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Nalesh posted:

Is there a mod that lets you design uniforms easily?(Like sets of stuff that they'll wear)

Outfit Builder may be what you are looking for.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
A couple melee guys, ideally with shield belts (As much for friendly fire as for enemy guns) is a great tool to neutralize enemies with threatening ranged weapons. They don't even have to be good, if you don't manage to kill them you'll still tie them up ineffectually swinging rifle butts at you.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

A Moose posted:

I restarted the game a couple times and the colonist bar was still gone, and then tried my oldest autosave and it hadn't happened to that one yet. So I sent out my caravan, then deleted the abandoned colony, and it didn't happen again. Still no idea what happened.

This bug happened to me too, it is linked to that empty caravan. You can either dev mode it away or merge another caravan into it to fix it.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
The Deep Storage mod adds Clothing Racks among other things, those are shelves that allow more than one clothing item per tile.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1617282896&searchtext=deep+storage

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
If you want to tone down raids but keep the other difficulties intact you can use Prepare for Combat, it allows you to tweak the raid difficulty calculations.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
There's A Mod For That (TM)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2130184293

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Surgery failure can be as low as 2% if your doctor is actually competent, you use a well lit and sterile room and you use actual, not herbal medecine.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
I don't know what you experienced, but the bolt action does have more pen than the assault rifle in CE, 12mm RHA versus 10mm.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Arsenic Lupin posted:

During Early Access, Oxygen Not Included added a control for "I'm trying to roll up a scientist" [or whatever], and wow did that save a lot of time. If in Rimworld I could say "Roll until you get somebody over 6 in construction" then I could just wade through those for somebody I could tolerate.

This mod does exactly that : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2057362949&searchtext=prepare+moderately

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
I've always found wealth min-maxing tedious, so now I just use this : Combat Readiness Check

It makes wealth calculations only take into account stuff directly related to combat, like guns, armor, pawns and buildings. It has a lot of settings and presets to tweak the difficulty to your liking too.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Here's my latest base, it was an experiment in designing a killbox-less base that's still defensible.

There is no open path to the base itself, so the raiders will individually dig at a random bit of wall. The double wall makes it incredibly unlikely that they will ever get trough, since non-sappers will target another random bit of wall when they manage to break down the first, and there is a vanishingly small chance that that will be the inner layer that is exposed. The corner rooms that stick out are bunkers with embrasures covering all the walls, the purpose is not to shoot at incoming raiders (The outward embrasures are mostly to shoot manhunters), but to cover the walls and kill anyone digging at them, while being protected from any other angle. You can shoot at any part of the walls while being protected.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
This mod alters the threat calculation so it only takes into account stuff that affects combat to calculate raid size, it's customizable to your liking difficulty wise.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2314304057&searchtext=+Combat+Readiness+Check

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the optimized pathfinding is very noticeable with anima trees, which are always a minimum distance away from your base. my pawns are dedicated to trudging through the low movespeed swamp instead of the nice path i made for them, because its not a perfect diagonal line from chunk to chunk. even if the path is like 1 tile away from their 'ideal' route they won't move onto the path.

As with everything, there is a mod for that ! This disables the "optimization" and makes the game calculate a proper path for the whole length https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2341486509 . They'll actually use roads and paths then, and I haven't seen any real performance cost on this either.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Do note that on the issue of bionics not having subparts like toes and fingers, as always, there is a mod for that : Medical System Expansion

It not only adds detail to the prosthetics (And yes you can install a lone bionic toe if you want) but it has a neat module system where you can install stuff inside a prosthetic, an arm blade will be a module instead of a specialized prosthetic for example , so you can add it to your swish arcotech arm.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
The CE system is still an abstraction, just a different one. My issue with %to hit systems with projectiles is the you have to have the projectile end up somewhere when you miss. And that means you either discard them completely like in XCOM or you end up with the exact same trajectory based system you were trying to avoid, just an half assed one.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Same RNG elements are still modeled, just differently, they just apply as a deviation from the aimpoint. It doesn't rip out any of the RNG itself, it just represents it differently.

I personally like the approach not because it's 'realistic' or whatever but because the results are more intuitive, especially when you add modifiers. Percent to hit based systems are really vulnerable to various modifiers interacting with each other, the math seems intuitive but it really isn't. Trajectory systems stack modifiers in a more linear way, if both systems were designed perfectly it would have the exact same result but on things like Rimworld that are heavilly modified by independent users and will end up stacking in unforeseen ways it tends to go off the rails.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Kestral posted:

What's the state of bionic / prosthetic mods these days? I'm increasingly annoyed that I have to take someone's whole leg off to fix their missing toe, but I recall from 1.3 that a lot of the bionics mods were varying degrees of balance-busting.

I very much like Medical System Expansion 2 for this.

It's not a full bionics mods, it doesn't really add anything by itself but it reworks the vanilla system so prosthetic parts have subparts, an replacement arm will have a hand, and that hand will have fingers, and so you can give someone just a bionic finger for example. It works with both EPOE version and Rah's among other things if you want to, but you don't have to.

Also has a neat module system, so you can have your shiny Archotech arm and jam a hand talon or something into it without having to revert the whole arm to an inferior model.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

SugarAddict posted:

I'm using that and it's not perfect.

I like MSE2 a lot more for this : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2056706586&

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Kestral posted:

“Prosthesis parts can be damaged, and will need to be replaced when destroyed”

Oh dear god noooooooo

It still heals, it's only destroyed if the limb is completely blown off, the only difference from vanilla is that you can actually lose a finger off your cyber arm instead of the whole arm at once.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
There is a Vanilla Expanded mod for that, like there is for anything

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2688941031

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
The mod scene is pretty much a direct result of it being based on Unity

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Modders are people and most of them do it because they enjoy the creative process. Nobody enjoys doing customer support, especially if your mod becomes popular and you end up with the same moronic question over and over and over and over again.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
You got cause and effect reversed there, the professionals are polite because they are getting paid to take the bullshit with a smile.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Most of the famously toxic Minecraft modding scene issues were exactly because of monetization, there was so much drama around modpacks simply because of the literal pennies the creators were getting by putting downloads behind adfly links. Or just take a look at Roblox if you want to see the hellscape that built-in monetization actually is.

Modding is a hobby, treat it as such.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
I can't say I ever noticed CE having any kind of noticeable performance impact beyond startup time

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Scythers don't really have all that much armor in CE, rockets are for Centipedes and the like that you can't really touch with small arms, Scythers are too numerous and too fast for that. Full caliber rifle fire will deal with them just fine, the manned MG emplacements are quite good at it but even just some semi auto rifles will do it ok if you have some numbers. But if you really only have the starter bolt action you are kinda screwed, there is a grace period on the mechs but you do need some real guns when it expires.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

mega dy posted:

I think the ease at which I was handling tribal raiders really made me overconfident in my defenses.

Yeah shotguns are basically the ideal weapon for tribal raids but they don't deal with armor, at all, so it's not something you should rely on for everyone. Slugs don't really help, it's just a big lump of lead it doesn't really have any significant armor piercing properties. EMP 12 gauges are a decent adjuct weapon for mech since they'll do the short stun effect and also do some electrical burn damage, you usually won't kill them with just those but mixing one in there is often a good idea, since the split second they are stunned is actually fairly critical to take down the ranged ones at close range, if they shoot before you can put them down you will not have enough armor to stand up to it early on and they won't miss up close.

And yeah melee is harder to get TO in CE since the guns are pretty lethal, but if you can make it there melee skill matters a whole lot and a skilled melee combatant will rip and tear through your gun line while the other guys often can't shoot due to friendly fire concerns. Carry a spare melee weapon.

edit : Also I can recommend https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2590848610&searchtext=combat+extended+aimbot it makes your lil dudes automatically change to faster aim types if they are likely to hit, it makes combat go smoother without having to micro that poo poo, and it's really fun to watch the whole squad dump their whole Garand mags in a second and a half into some poor fucks who got ambushed at close range.

Kafouille fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 5, 2024

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
CE compatibility issues are sorta overblown, it's hard to find a mod of any real quality that needs patching that doesn't already have a compatibility layer integrated into CE. The list is extensive https://github.com/CombatExtended-Continued/CombatExtended/tree/Development/Patches. To me the main reason I like it is the armor system, the default Rimworld probability based setup works alright with a vanilla game but it's also pretty much tapped out in terms of diversity by the fairly small assortment of stuff in the base game, you can't really build anything more onto it without hitting issues where the formula sorta breaks and the dynamic range between no and max armor isn't all that big but yet pretty binary. The go-no go style of armor of CE is rather unforgiving the first couple games of it until you understand what you need in terms of weapons for various threat levels but the design space is a lot larger and more diverse. The whole real trajectory shooting is more 'correct' and it gets dumb things happening less often than the base game system but it's sorta less impactful overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Corn is not usually year 1 stuff but once you have a buffer established it's just so much more manpower-efficient that it's very much worth the risk, as long as you have a backup plan. Manpower pretty much always ends up the limiting factor in my colonies and there isn't much that is as big of a win on pawn productivity than switching to corn.