Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SynthOrange posted:

Well yes? Granted this is from the perspective of a queer person, introducing someone you're dating as just friends so you can stay in the closet is a big loving deal.

What, and trying to out someone you've been on one date with to their mother isn't? Skye barely knows Jane, knows nothing about Jane's mother or what Jane's reasons may be for not telling her she's gay. If they'd been on more than one date they may have had a chance to discuss it and Jane could explain her reasons and Skye could then decide if she was OK with that or not, but at this point she's just assuming that she knows best and butting in to Jane's life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

tiistai posted:

Those fuckers seriously do this though. A couple months back I heard the mail slot clang, went to the door, saw the notice and opened the door. Nobody in the hallway. Took about 15 seconds altogether. Went for my shoes, looked around in the building and outside, nothing. I think they just loving ran away.

I work evenings, so I'm often home during the day. I can't count the number of times I've checked my mailbox on my way to work and found a card telling me I need to collect a package from the post office because I wasn't home to receive it. The only up-side is that at least it's better than what happens when the package is just slightly larger than my mailbox, because at least if they leave it at the post office it doesn't get crushed and mangled.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

anathenema posted:

I only ever barely understand what's happening in this comic. The artist's decision to make his characters 90% chin with their mouths even with their eyes is like looking into a font of madness.

Quincy is fighting Knuckles. Knuckles is bigger and stronger than Quincy, but Quincy has been paid to fight so he feels that it will be worthwhile even to lose.

Say Nothing posted:

Anyone else want a Nemitar?

That's a bit large.

Taerkar posted:

Oh god, it's all downhill from here, isn't it?

Life? Yes.

I've never understood this joke. What sort of Chinese food supposedly leaves you feeling hungry shortly after eating? I've never experienced that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

SubNat posted:

Moomin Builds a House

I'm Little My!
And I bite because
I like it!

But dear, we
make coffee
in that!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

Cathy

Oh, Cathy... :3:

It's Cyan's expression that really makes the Nemi strip work though.

RandomFerret posted:

Nemi is just Cathy for goths.

Well, it's drawn better, has more likeable and better developed characters, is funnier and doesn't reuse jokes nearly so much, but yeah, other than those minor details it's pretty much the same.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Romantic Mark Trail

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

Phantom Classic

Wow, the Phantom really doesn't half-arse things, does he?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

A new challenge? It's the same job he already has just in a different location.

This last panel works equally well for around half of all Safe Havens strips.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

A lot is riding on the success of this children's book written by a child? How? Why? Also, Rex is so smug in that final panel, it's fantastic.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

Apartment 3-G

They went shopping for Stuff, and got it cheap, then they spotted a free Thing give-away and got some of those too! Orange Stuff, green Stuff, blue Things, they've got it all!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

e: could someone tell me what's going on in Judge Parker?

Judge Randy Parker, son of Alan Parker (the original Judge Parker) is getting married to (probably) CIA agent April, in this hidden jungle fortress place that is supposedly a hospital where April's father is apparently dying of cancer (and may also be working for the CIA?). Alan Parker and his wife Katherine are there with them. On the cruise ship they took to get there, April spotted a woman watching them. That woman, whom we now know as Li Hai, disappeared. We saw her hat floating in the ocean behind the ship, but April apparently doesn't know what happened to her. Li Hai's husband Flaco confronted April about the disappearance on the ship. Once they left the ship they were met by armed guards who brought them to see April's father. On the way they discovered they were being tracked. They thought they'd managed to get rid of the tracking device but have since discovered a second one.

Also, Alan is writing a film script based on his successful book about Sam Driver, who is a lawyer who worked with Randy before he was a judge, and I can't remember what's happening with the Spencer-Drivers back in America but they're probably being given a lot of money for no reason, because that's what usually happens.

Any mistakes I've made in this retelling are down to the fact that all this has taken several months to unfold. And I'm really not sure what this place where Abbott (April's father) lives actually is supposed to be. I'm pretty sure it was described as some kind of medical facility, but its location is secret and it has heavily armed guards? I don't know.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

The Creeps is doing a thing. (click for big)

The Creeps is the best.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Say Nothing posted:

So she just got naked and turned into a fish in front of her kid?

The fact that she did it in front of her child is the bit that bothers you?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

What is going on at that preschool that she'd be in a position to save his life three times?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ravine? That looks like it's maybe a foot deep. Just walk across.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Apartment 3-G

Beetle Bailey

How could he eat while skipping? Skipping requires the use of both arms. How does he expect that to work?

Between Friends

She really should see someone about that depression.

Crankshaft

:stare:

Hi and Lois

Well, that's a bit creepy.

And I've forgotten to post 1941 Mandrake the Magician Sundays for a while now, so here's a whole lot of them to catch up.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

:stare:

Crankshaft

We've seen the future though, Crankshaft doesn't die yet. Unfortunately.

The Dinette Set

Fort Knox

There's some unfortunate timing.

Heathcliff

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Feb 25, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

Someone told Piccolo and she said "Oh, so she does. Huh!" and Tina kept her bangs.

Rina Piccolo posted:

Over the years a handful of readers have written me to ask why Tina looks sad. She never smiles, they write, She looks despondent, or worried. What’s wrong, people say, Is she depressed?

No, Tina’s not depressed — no more than any other person. When I started the strip I didn’t know a lot about her, but I did know what I didn’t want her to be. I didn’t want my main character to be sappy and sickeningly sweet. I wanted to write her as a girl who had real-world traits who just happened to be nice in a normal, non-mushy way. I gave Tina a few of my own traits, and many others that I myself am not fortunate to have (for one, I’m way less tolerant than she is!)

Also over the years, I’ve analyzed the smile matter and made a discovery that may explain Tina’s “sad look”. It’s the character’s design — how she’s drawn — that I believe is causing Tina to look less cheery than what she may be feeling below the surface. What I hadn’t anticipated was the effect of how I designed Tina’s hair — in particular, her bangs. (This will be a good example of how a few lines can alter a character’s expression.) Look at these sketches:

The hair bangs are drawn downwards at the same angle that you’d use to draw a “worried eyebrow” expression. So when there is no clear smile drawn on her face, and I need her to be in a neutral expression, like in sketch #2, then the result is that she looks slightly worried, or, you might say, even sad.

I never anticipated this. The thing is, I don’t want Tina to be smiling in every situation — that would be sappy — and so many times she wears the expression you see in sketch #2, which gives her the look people are asking about.

It’s amazing what a couple of small ink lines can do. They’re capable of changing a reader’s perception about what a character is feeling. Now that puts a smile on my face. Isn’t this stuff great?

So yeah, she is absolutely aware of the problem and has acknowledged it, but won't do anything about it because... :shrug:

Probably Magic posted:

I have a reader, but I much prefer paper because the type is generally bigger and I hate how readers will abruptly jump a page if you click too fast. I realize this is probably a very "old person" post for a twentysomething, but it's true.

What sort of e-reader doesn't let you adjust the text size?

Andy Capp

It probably doesn't help that he just ordered "cocktails" rather than something specific.

Crankshaft

Death is really dragging this out.

Moose and Molly

If the staff at a pet shop stop paying attention for even a moment, the animals will just walk right out. They're not locked up or contained in any way.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

I just cannot understand that people do not enjoy being around and browsing books. You can't be at home all the time, so if you have some free time between errands why NOT look at books?

See, I don't understand people who like books as things. To me a book is just a container for words. I don't care what the container is, except in that I want the most convenient form available. Usually that's an ebook, because I have a Kindle, a phone, a laptop and a desktop, so I can read it wherever I happen to be on whatever device is handy. I like browsing books on Amazon or Goodreads, because it's really comprehensive and convenient. Actually going to a library or book shop takes longer, is less convenient, and has a far smaller selection.

I have nothing against printed books, other than the fact that I almost always have a better option available.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

No one could possibly have collected all this stuff in one lifetime. Either it was a bunch of different people over a period of hundreds of years, or this guy is immortal. Well, he says he's immortal, I guess that's good enough for me. If you can't trust a weird guy in a purple super hero costume who lives in a cave shaped like a skull in the middle of the jungle, who can you trust?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Arlo and Janis

Crankshaft

The Dinette Set

Hazel

Pluggers

Uh, what?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Zits

I don't blame you one bit, Jeremy. I've tried Eggplant every possible way it can be prepared, and it still tastes like poo poo to me. Bleh.

Baba ghanoush is nice, eggplant lasagne is good, and eggplant is also pretty great salted and fried.

tiistai posted:

If anyone badmouths tea I'll fight them irl

Used to be I didn't like tea at all. Then I realized that there's a world of difference between squeezing cheap teabags into water that's been boiling way too long and proper tea. If it's dull you're drinking it wrong.

Look, I like tea, I drink several cups a day, I have six different varieties in my house right now, but (despite what a certain cat may say) I'd hardly describe it as exciting.

B.C.

Blondie

The Born Loser

I read this comic, and I just can't understand what the joke is. All I can think of when I look at it is this:

And that's not a joke, it's just how the conversation would end.

Crankshaft

Like everything Tom Batiuk writes, this ends in disappointment.

Family Circus

Recycled comic spotted. They forgot that this one only works once every four years.

Henry

That's a really weird thing for her to say to him.

Hi and Lois

Chip has heard of the internet, right?

The Pajama Diaries

I guess for Terri Libenson "mother" is just another word for "alcoholic"?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Kammat posted:

Haven't rabbit ears had a resurgence with people dropping cable? Still handy for getting local channels when needed.

Do American houses not generally have antennas on the roof?

Geomancing posted:

As she's speeding past; that's the general manager.

Are you sure? It doesn't look like her.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Am I the only one that's completely clueless as to what's happening in Apartment 3-G? I'm totally lost. Where's the deer. And who is that guy?

The deer is still around, presumably. That guy is Professor Aristotle Papagoras, a neighbour.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

That's seriously way out in left field for Henry. Amazing. How many more sexual innuendos have there been made in that strip as of late? Henry always used to be as benign as Fred Basset. Or, I'm being trolled. I'm being trolled, right? TIGGUM! :argh:

Not this time.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

RE teachatte, I'm a coffee drinker, and only drink tea when I'm out of coffee. However, several years ago, my sister in law (who is Malaysian) left a "box" of tea at the place we spend some summer weekends at. We had no coffee at the time, and so I decided I'd drink that in place. The tea was in little paper envelopes, and I judged each "envelope" would make one pot. I believe it was oolong, but the box, and envelopes, were basically covered in Asian text, so I honestly had no idea what I was drinking. Regardless, I made a pot. Holy loving poo poo did that stuff have a kick! I was vibrating like a loving tuning fork! Usually tea (for some unknown reason) has barely an effect on me, but this stuff was like crack. I did like its sort of "smokey" flavor too. Alas, over a period of several weekends, I drank it all, and never found out what it was exactly. I would love to have some more.

Tea has about the same amount of caffeine as instant coffee, which is less than brewed coffee, but it all depends on how you make it (coffee or tea). In either case, if you drink enough of it (which isn't actually all that much) you max out on the caffeine effect and anything else you feel is placebo.

Lapsang souchong is known for its smoky flavour, but you should also try English breakfast, which is sort of the generic tea. Assam is very strongly flavoured and I only drink that occasionally. Earl Grey is flavoured by the addition of bergamot, and I like it without milk as it's less bitter than black tea tends to be normally. Green tea can be very bitter and I find it goes well with sweet food (and is served without milk). Russian Caravan is one I've never cared for, to me it tastes somewhat like rubber smells. If you buy tea leaves or bags that don't specify a variety they'll probably be a generic sort of black tea that's fairly similar to English Breakfast.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

Apartment 3-G

Is Tommie's fiancé dead?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Nyeehg posted:

I had to stare at this a good while before I realised Mary had any eyes in that second panel.

Julet Esqu posted:

Here's a few options:

I made a couple as well.

I really hosed up the transparency on that second one though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

A big city like Santa Royale. :what:

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Overall I prefer Beatty's work on this strip to Nolan's, but the way he draws Sarah is just terrible. She consistently looks like some sort of gremlin.

Helicity posted:

Now I know you're somebody's alt designed for trolling. No one would ever post Reply All in a serious manner, out of the blue, without commentary.

Reply All is actually pretty good sometimes. Case in point:

Adam@Home

This is pretty much the platonic form of "a comic strip about video games by someone who's never played one".

Garfield

Taking a leaf from Heathcliff's book today.

Henry

Mandrake the Magician (1941-11-16)

The Pajama Diaries

Looking at the clock, she was sitting there like that for seven hours.

Zits

How could he possibly have imagined this conversation was going to go?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

Only two things in her list are true. He is underage, and she does forbid it.

Well, given the amount of care Jeremy is likely to take, it's probably messy and unsanitary too. And also possibly dangerous.

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

e: drat it, Tiggum, keep out of my turf

Safety Factor posted:

Man, that Garbage Ape in the bottom left would probably make a great avatar. I still really like my weird Ballard Street duck-man, but I'd be tempted.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Sezza posted:

Can someone please avatarise that kid in Tina's Groove?

The transparent one looks poo poo against a dark background. :effort:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Beetle Bailey

One Big Happy (I think that copyright date is 2000-02-11, but it's the repeat that's on GoComics today)

Tina's Groove

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Midnight Moth posted:

Gil

That hipster is actually correct. Unfortunately, your poverty relegates you to the second-rate experience.

So, what am I missing by not having a HDTV?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Tobaccrow posted:

Being able to see stuff and read text in modern video games. For TV and movies though, I feel you can get by fine on SD unless you're very aware of your viewing conditions at all times.

Oh right, I forgot about game consoles. The last one I owned was the Atari 2600, and you can still play PC games just fine on a CRT if you're so inclined. I don't, but I could.

I've got to start keeping track of who regularly posts what in this thread. That way I can do this deliberately. :D

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Manuel Calavera posted:

I don't believe you *haven't* been doing it on purpose. t:mad:

To be honest, I scroll past most of the comics posted in this thread. I come here for the edits and the discussion, the actual comics I read on Comics Kingdom and GoComics, so I mostly don't notice which comics are regularly posted here or who posts them. I think the thread would actually be better if people didn't post a set list of current strips every day and just posted whatever was interesting or noteworthy. Stuff like Modesty Blaise is different because it's not readily available elsewhere, but the stuff that's available for free online seems pretty pointless to repost here unless there's some specific reason for doing so.

That's what I do. If I see something I think is worthy of discussion or that I think people who don't regularly read it might like to see then I'll post that, the only thing I post every week regardless is classic Mandrake Sundays, and just because someone asked for them to be posted and they're only available to paid Comics Kingdom members.

Ockhams Crowbar posted:

I dunno, this got a chuckle out of me, but then I usually find Non Sequitur funny. Maybe my sense of humor is defective.

Yep.

Some Guy TT posted:

Oh god yes this, so many times this. The worst of it is that Nancy isn't the only one that does it, way too often creepy romances are shoehorned into shows that are explicitly about elementary school students. Or babies. drat you 90's Nickelodeon! It worked with Rocko because they were all adults!

I refuse to watch any show (or episode) about children having romantic relationships. It's creepy and weird and I wish TV writers would just stop it.

Some Guy TT posted:

Eyebeam

I'd have about the same reaction, but mostly out of shock that someone would buy tickets without confirming a date first. Do people really do that?

There are plenty of ways this could happen. Maybe the tickets were free and she just figured she'd find someone to go with. Maybe the show isn't doing well and they were really cheap so she decided to chance it. Maybe she had intended to go with someone but circumstances changed after she bought the tickets.

Julet Esqu posted:

And now for more 2010 Spidey!

I love it. The theatre just accepted payment in lumps of gold. No one thought it was suspicious that anyone would want to pay that way; in a world full of super-villains, who else is likely to pay in gold nuggets? Is the theatre knowingly and happily letting super-villains attend? And you'd have to assume that those nuggets are probably stolen.

Beetle Bailey

Blondie

Crock

Her hair is not visible!

Curtis

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Manuel Calavera posted:

I was just teasing anyways, Tiggum. You're OK by me. :3:

I was really just taking the opportunity to espouse my vision for the Perfect Comics Strip Thread.

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Cul-de-sac Squeaks

The Creeps suffer from the heartbreak of dialog hair.

Speaking of perfection, these two comics may be it. They're certainly not the only comics I like, but Cul De Sac and The Creeps are really, really good.

I love this strip so much. Mark discovers something suspicious, and totally ignores it and carries on. Brilliant.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Wanamingo posted:

Oh, Brother

Is this too big? I'm sticking an h after the url so it's already shrunk down some, but I think going with an l makes it too small. The only other option would be leaving it giant and thumbnailing it.

I'd say the l size is probably fine, but h isn't going off the edge of my screen or anything so it's no big deal either way.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

And we're supposed to think these child-neglecting assholes are cool.

Does anyone remember why it is that Bwad and Toni can't find time to spend alone together? They act like they have these brief windows of opportunity that Shannon keeps ruining, but they're both grown adults with ordinary jobs and their own houses, so what's the issue?

Pidmon posted:

Apparently the theme this week was 'Main character brushed his hair!!!' and this is the first time I noticed because the 'brushed' look was indistinguishable from the 'regular/bedhead look' at the end of the comic.

At least I assume that's his regular character design.

See the weird bit sticking up at the front? He brushed that down, but when he woke up it was sticking up again.

Betty

They're saying that Star Wars doesn't hold up? Is that a thing people actually think?

Heathcliff

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

Apartment 3-G

Check those phones with the curly cords. I wonder if they're rotary.

I'll grant you that it's pretty unlikely that anyone would try to contact someone as young as Tommie is supposed to be on a landline these days, but don't all (non-cordless) landline phones have curly cords? I don't recall seeing one that didn't.

AxeManiac posted:

I remember I got that BC Game for my Tandy 1000 and my mom saw the box and said I wasn't allowed to call the one lady "Fat Broad" as it suggested in the manual. She would come out and hit you with a club and kill you, so we would always scream, "Watch out for That Lady" instead. BC was a weird comic.

Still is. And that character is still named Fat Broad, they just never use her name in the strip. Or the only other female character's, which is Cute Chick.

Some Guy TT posted:

drat Willy's looking manly there. Like a blond Rambo. Can we get him avatar sized?

Do people call Helen's show to be insulted? Is that the point of it?

Family Circus

Yes. Yes you are, Dolly.

Henry

Moose and Molly

Reply All

Slylock Fox

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Borden posted:

The only good thing about working from home is you can consistently be drunk without getting in trouble. I kind of miss working from home :(

The only good thing? What about not having to get dressed? Not having to waste time travelling to and from work? No annoying co-workers telling terrible jokes and sharing their opinions on politics and current affairs? There's a lot to like about working from home.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mandrake the Magician (1941-11-23)

An unarmed, silk-hatted dude.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Arelon posted:

Can someone avatarize Little My saying "They're silly" in the first strip, please?

They're silly.

Apartment 3-G

Dennis the Menace

What?

Jane's World

The Pajama Diaries

I don't think Terri Libenson knows what sexting is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Unadulterated Jane's World :v:

You're right Tiggum, she does seem to be a bit top-heavy. I mean, that center of gravity is way up there. :v:

It was mainly the direction of Chelle's gaze in the second panel. She doesn't exactly seem to be making eye contact.

• Locked thread