Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Seconding one page a day, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Half would probably be alright, too. Man, I ain't got no decision-making skills today.

Anyway, content:

Have a ridiculous (awesome?) batch of edits that I found years ago that I can't find any information on where it came from or anything like that. It's been sitting in a folder in the depths of my hard drive for ages. (I just noticed one strip is actually unedited. Huh.)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Backmasking was a short-lived moral panic in the 80s, with the most prominent bands/musicians to get accused of it being Judas Priest and Ozzy, the former after a troubled fan killed himself as I recall. To the surprise of pretty much no one, it turned out to be just hysteria, though in reaction some bands did do it as jokes; Weird Al backmasked "if you can hear this you've got too much time on your hands" or something similar onto one of his early albums.

There's even earlier, fairly blatant examples of silly backmasking before then, with ELO including "The music is reversible, but time is not. Turn back, turn back!" backwards in the introduction to their song Fire On High and Pink Floyd including a lengthy message about finding "the hidden message" and to send replies care of "the funny farm" on their record The Wall. Of course, accusations of secret messages of ill intent extend even further back to The Beatles and other early rock and roll tape-manipulators.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Crosleys are poo poo and will ruin your records. They don't even look that much like vintage stereo equipment. Get on my loving level, shitler.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Sluggo has beaned three batters three times in a row. Commissioner Bud Selig will want to have words with him. A Sportscenter comic?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I'm kind of interested.

My condolences.

Midnight Moth posted:

On the Fastrack

I Googled "Dethany". About 5,350 results and mostly referencing this comic. So congrats for choosing a name no one else thought of I guess.

Since when does anyone want to be easily found on a search engine?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

Also Momma owns.

Get hosed.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

Judge Parker originally from 1970. I don't expect to keep posting this one because Judge Parker is kind of boring, but maybe Old JP will surprise me by being a non-stop thrillfest.

"They said they were with the Vandelay Foundation."

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

Radio Patrol

SMOKOS! For SMOKING!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

An accurate line graph in the background to display how much of a fool these gentlemen look.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Quincy

No, I don't know why he has a light-up radio.

http://www.jackbergsales.com/electronics/windsor2104.htm

Because they exist and I want one.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Midnight Moth posted:

Slylock Fox
Notice the bus door is not seen. If the door is on the other side, the driver is on the side facing Slylock, which means the bus is facing left. Slylock told park police the bus is traveling toward the zoo.

I figured that the thing here was to remember whether the zoo or the lake was north or south, that it was actually a NYC geography question.

...which way are they going, north or south?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Aardmania posted:

Pibgorn

No one is watching anyways. Go ahead and practice your sweet air guitar moves in the middle of your big death scene.

That's not air guitar, that's air chapman stick.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

idonotlikepeas posted:

The joke, insofar as you can call it that, is that a piece of music, most likely this one, is so uplifting that it literally, physically lifts you off the ground. So much so that a description of it after the fact still has the power to do that. I like a good piano tune as much as the next guy, but this is a joke that is only going to work once even on the limited audience who will know what it's about, and Brooke has used it three times in a row because he wants to REALLY EMPHASIZE that he knows what a Debussy Arabesque is and that if you don't you just aren't classy enough to be reading his comic.

I've changed my mind. The joke is that he gets paid to do this. The joke is on all of us.

Meh, Debussy. Dude was alright. Get some Mussorgsky going and crank the PA for more power.

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

I guess I picked a bad time to start posting this, since it's apparently on hiatus now. Figure I'll start it from the beginning.

No wonder I didn't understand it, I thought you WERE posting it from the beginning.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Say Nothing posted:

Anyway, er...

It's so weird seeing Jim Davis/PAWS art of anything that's not the core cast.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

Big Ben Bolt

Something I didn't expect to see in a newspaper comic from the early 50's: A dude getting punched in the balls.

That's not a low blow, that's a headbutt, and since the ref didn't penalize him for one point, he gets away with it scot-free.

That said, as a boxing fan, I totally want to see more of this.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Wanamingo posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

I think I officially hate this strip now. I don't know why now, when it's been equally unlikeable since day one.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

This is just the loving worst comic.

I'd place it at #2 worst behind Momma, but it's still pretty bad.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mechanigma posted:

There is no comic worse than Rose is Rose. Not even Momma.

I dunno. If RIR is just loving around with the Jojo's-style alter-ego, then it's just incomprehensible. It only gets vile when it lets the children talk in that mush-mouthed misspelled English. Hm.

So, right now, my handicapping list looks like

1 - Momma
2 - Piranha Club
3 - Rose is Rose
4 - Stupid Future Private Dick Comix

and I might be inclined to swap 2 and 3.

(Oh Baby has been disqualified for performance-enhancing inks)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'm at least entertained by Momma. It's reprehensible and moronic, but in an amusing way. Pirahna Club just grosses me out.

Whereas I'm not. Momma's like the Lockhorns with fewer jokes, it's just a collection of non-characters that have no function other than to abuse each other.

e: Literally every Momma strip, scrubbed of art, is just "here is an insult."

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Midnight Moth posted:

On the Fastrack

So she updated her will on the 3.5 in floppies, then again onto optical, then external memory sticks, and then the cloud? And haven't you watched enough soap operas to know that makes you a prime murder target?

That's a five-and-a-quarter, whippersnapper.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Is Jane's World available anywhere in archive or book format? I like it when it's actually telling a story, but I can't follow it when it's blipping all over the place.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Wanamingo posted:

Nancy

Haha, oh my god those sideburns.

Both of those songs came out on the same record. In 1989.

Sideburns were not cool in 1989. Also Phil first appeared something like fifty years before that record came out. Get hosed, Gilchrist.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Darthemed posted:

Zen Pencils

Ugh. For a moment I thought you were going to start seriously posting this on the regular before I realized you were going alphabetically. The meltdown the webcomic thread had about this one was fairly legendary. (Rightfully so, because holy poo poo that series about 'haters' was loving vomitous.)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

LtStorm posted:

The most hilarious thing about Zen Pencils was, that one where Hayao Miyazaki pilots a mecha to destroy all criticism in the world? There was such a backlash from people critical of the artist putting words into the mouth of Miyazaki that he recanted and removed the name 'Miyazaki' from the comic. His comic about not listening to criticism lead to him listening to criticism which sort of undermined the entire thing.

Amaaaaaaaazing. Oh drat.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

DC Money posted:

Now the big question - does putting John Darnielle lyrics on Guy Gilchrist trash neutralize out the crappitude? or even maybe rise above it? Could that panel now even be considered good?

No.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mercury Hat posted:

Winnie the Pooh

"Cold and broke", Pooh. I guess this is a rap about how you came up from nothing and those hipsters with artichoke on their sandwiches are phonies?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

A flat tire! And a full-size spare RIGHT THERE ON THE BACK!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Did you forget about the bear?

I admit I haven't been reading closely, I thought there was time between flat tire and bear.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

Is anyone else having trouble seeing these?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm not. They load fine and are huge images so legible enough. The real problem is fitting them onto your screen.

This particular strip is just not loading for me. Bizarre.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

It's this guy.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

Sir Gawain is addressing Sir Gawain?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Genius, abso-loving-lutely genius. I'm sure we'll top this, but I'll be damned if I have any idea how.

Weirdly, this is the first of these I actually got on the first try.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm sure he's saving that storyline for a special occasion.

He already did it, the father-daughter day plotline from a couple months ago.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

Did that storyline actually talk about what happened to Nancy's parents, though? I remember it being "I'm sad about not having parents to bring to the family picnic wait I'll bring Aunt Friti PROBLEM SOLVED".

I don't believe so, no.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Kammat posted:

Apparently this is what happened to gran's first hubby after Normandy while she was off seducing German POWs for intelligence. I think we've been dealing with his head wound for four drat months now.

Edit: Even worse, since last November

So, I thought the color stuff was in the present, and the black and white stuff was flashback? It's honestly really confusing.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

catlord posted:

The black and white is reprints from the first time the story ran.

But I could have sworn there were strips where some of the panels were color and some were black and white? Maybe I was hallucinating?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Sure, just wait for the salad dressing to come along.

quote:

The Phantom

And this is literally a Winnie-the-Pooh strip with The Phantom shopped in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Aardmania posted:

Piranha Club

Barky Airedale, noooooo

• Locked thread