Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

Getting in on the ground floor to nominate Nancy as worst strip of 2013.
2014, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm really enjoying how everyone in the current Phantom story immediately realizes what's going on, and he still thinks he's pulling the caper of ages. First thing the reporter thought of was that he poisoned her and now she's like "yeah that was pretty stupid of me" and Phantom himself probably just thought "ugh this rear end in a top hat again, I did not have the time for this today."

Even that Bandar with the bow is probably thinking "yeah whatever Rick, last time I even lent you the cab fare back to town, never gonna see that again am I."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I know it's his chin but it just looks like he has this tremendous mustache.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

- Jameson gets a robot to fight Spider-Man
- Jameson hires a guy who controls the robot remotely, so Spider-Man can't simply take out the controller
- Jameson has to rely orders to the remote control guy while standing in the same location as the fight

Mary Jane is the only competent person in this strip.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Panel 1 is prime edit material for anyone who happens to know what they called a strap-on in Elizabethan times.

Mister Beeg posted:

Lucky Cow (February 16-18, 2004)

One of those CDs was The Best of The Who, it seems.

Ghostlight posted:

I still buy cds as I refuse to buy mp3s because I'm an old man.

I immediately rip them to a digital format and then put them in the big box of cds in my storage because who the hell uses cds these days?
Yeah that's about what's happening here. Bought big piles of CDs on holiday and from Christmas money, hardly any of those is ever going to be played directly. I do buy MP3s, it's streaming services I don't trust.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

It's his robot, he can have someone take all the photos he wants, including action shots. And he's not exactly gonna desperately want to print those where the robot gets his rear end beat by Spider-Man, however improbably.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Indolent Bastard posted:

[b]Mike du Jour

What. Am I not up to date on current events memes or has he straight up had a stroke?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's a poem from 1814 by a well known poet named Ludwig Uhland that is pretty much panel 1.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

don Jaime posted:

Catching up with Lio.

That's not remotely what Pit and the Pendulum is about! :arghfist::eng101:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A 147° slope?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"Who is _____" is my usual reaction to Jane's World, dunno what the fuss is about. What's worse is the line about "too quiet in the other room" when they're sitting like ten steps away in plain view.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

Nitrate must be moonlighting from his storage locker / pawn shop reality show.
Okay so he's a hard businessman instead of a likeable eccentric film freak, but that's fair enough, really. He sourced it, which was apparently near impossible, he had it restored, and if he can get 300 grand for it from sci-fi nerds, more power to him. If anything it's almost a nice gesture to offer it to the guy who'd want it for personal reasons first rather than throw it on the anonymous collectors' market immediately. Not his fault Vitamin is being a romantic about it.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 21, 2014

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

He did receive an entire reel of film. My money's on it being stolen actually. Mostly because it's the only way this becomes an actual crime I can think of.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Look I'll settle for manslaughter but accessory to murder is right out!

For the hell of it, I visited gocomics and went back to August 1st with Jane's World. No mention of Alexa. I'd go back further but I think the point is clear.

Also Jane is goddamn huge.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Zits

It is an "old people are technological retards" joke, you see.

howsecureismypassword.net posted:

It would take a desktop PC about 6 sextillion quinquagintillion years to crack your password
The NSA's quantum computer, on the other hand

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

There we go. Was starting to feel a bit uneasy, to be honest.

quote:

Pibgorn

For all the lovely art and textwalling I am glad this is getting me to read Shakespeare, because the dialogue owns.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Stultus Maximus posted:

I can't remember exactly where but something I was reading about dynamic comic artwork used that last panel as an example.
The wikipedia page for Prince Valiant.

Incidentally it's really weird to read a comic here and suddenly there's the panel you saw on the wiki page weeks ago.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Midnight Moth posted:

On the Fastrack

Or just don't take the discount but I guess that 5 cent plastic shell designed for focus group #058: goths makes it worth it again.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SubNat posted:

Moomin and the loss of Morrie :sigh:

"Joy through Strength." :drat:, Tove.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mister Beeg posted:

Don Martin Dept.
Oh yes. :allears:

You should post Aragones' margin cartoons next!

JaggerMcDagger posted:

What happens with WeePals next? Do they end the strip, or run reruns until a new person comes along? It wasn't a zombie strip, but would they make it one?
"Starting tomorrow: an all new Wee Pals, by Guy Gilchrist!" :v:

Les is being a dick but I'm with him here. Not just on the general principle of being an antagonist to the despicable main cast but the dude's gotta pee and ten others with him and you don't get to occupy all the loos all on your own.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's alright, everyone, it's just Everett True outside.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Foxy Grandpa frequently is far more casual about spilling gallons of water inside the house than one would think is reasonable.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I want to know what that sign in Thai says. I'm sure it says something, I just can't get one or two of the characters right in google translate. Best I can get at is "roadshow images."

quote:

(yes, I think that is Al Jaffee)
Definitely. MAD cartoonists would always pop up in each others' cartoons and the curly hair/goatee combo was as much shorthand for Jaffee than the moustache and ponytail was for Aragones or the pipe and glasses for Dave Berg.

I actually wouldn't mind a dedicated MAD thread, then I could share some stuff from the German edition. They mostly translated cartoons from the US version but they had one or two exclusive artists. (But then again, mine are all at my parents' and may or may not have fallen apart completely - they always used to joke about the lovely paper but really it was like 75% legitimate complaints.)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

Well for Christ's sake stop touching it and don't keep it in a jungle cave! :psyduck:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nipponophile posted:

You guys will probably be disappointed to learn that the Phantom's skull ring was originally owned by Emperor Nero and was made from the nails that held Jesus to the cross. Phantom uses it to punch bad guys in the face. Dude gives no fucks about history.
My take on metal artifacts is they're old enough to fend for themselves but manuscripts in a cave!

:420:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You'd think the very last thing you want to do in that particular strip is draw the reader's attention to Mary's eyes.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I was wondering if there was a step down from "leave a two year old watched by a four year old" and I guess "show no sign of worry or interest while the four year old is very clearly not watching the two year old" just about does the trick.

It's one way to teach your friends they can't expect you to babysit at a moment's notice, for sure.

e: wasn't this also the strip where they keep the household chemicals in the child-accessible kitchen cupboards? That's shaping up to be a lot more radical solution!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If you design plugs for incompatible types of power supply to look exactly the same, you deserve to have your satellites ruined. Stupid budget cuts in the space program.

Allen Wren posted:

I figured that the thing here was to remember whether the zoo or the lake was north or south, that it was actually a NYC geography question.

...which way are they going, north or south?
South, and assuming the bus stays on East Drive he's nowhere to go but Grand Army Plaza and then the police can basically walk up to the bus and nab the guy because he ain't going anywhere for a while.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gonna be a long week.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

"making GBS threads on Rick Grubber's transparent plan" was a better repetitive theme than "Phantom shows off his ostentatious wealth in historical artifacts." It's the first draft of the Magna Carta! And the original Ten Commandments stone tablets! And you'll never guess who ate from this apple tree!

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Best engineer in the world, built a hundred combat suits, can't do phones worth a poo poo.

Mister Beeg posted:

Sergio Aragones ("A Mad Look at Computer Language", Mad #258 October 1985)

"[tn×Mn"

I don't get it :(

"What is that man doing to his anus?!"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Say what you will about Achewood but when Achewood characters are depressed you notice from their dialogue and behaviour and not from them saying "my depression is setting in" while behaving in every way like they usually do.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nevermind Phantom, you want the guy who's been hanging on to that treasure for over 500 years.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Some of those recipes are very slightly on the semi-homemade side of things. Like this one:

Darthemed posted:

Cheap Thrills Cuisine

What gets me about it is that you start off by doing some stuff that's gonna turn out pretty decent all on its own and then it goes straight to DUMP IN TWO CANS OF SOUP. Congratulations you didn't so much "cook" as "heat up some canned soup with other stuff."

Buuut others like the brussels sprouts one are perfectly fine, will probably turn out really good and are pretty easy so on the whole, me and this strip, we cool.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 5, 2014

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

In my head Foxy Grandpa sounds exactly like Tim from Grand Illusions.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mike du Jour is simultaneously less and far more idiotic than I expected.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

Mandrake is a comic strip written such that I fully expected the guy to make off with a penthouse.

Luann is a comic strip written as to be reprehensible to anyone with half a brain. Surveillance is totally a good thing you guys, it makes bad people be nice, that's worth having a camera in your bathroom!

e: fully aware that there actually weren't any but neither does the idea receive any sort of reflection

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 7, 2014

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mister Beeg posted:

Thorn (March 5, 1984)

The point right after a major character dies seems like a really bad one to abandon the storyline and do a humourous crossover for the hell of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

The solution here is to go on a murderous rampa- wait I mean keep the radio on loudly so they here that someone is home as they walk up to the door.
"Oh great, they won't hear the mail slot. Deliveryman awaaay!"

• Locked thread