Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

The guy with yellow hair seems a bit let down. "Yeah, I mean, it's okay I guess."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

DoubleDonut posted:

Comic Strip Megathread XV: TOMORROW: WHY AMAZING
I would seriously read a strip that consisted of nothing but Mandrake cliffhanger panels and captions. They're just so wonderful.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

No, wait, let me guess, he forgot because something something misunderstood artist something something wife died something.

SomeMathGuy fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 7, 2014

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Manuel Calavera posted:

Dork Tower, Powdered Toast Man, and what appears to be Die Fledermaus from The Tick. How does someone who knows sort of obscure comic things fail at making a competent, funny comic?
Actually, I think that's supposed to be Lolbat from PvP. So maybe he accidentally took all of his comedy tips from that. Or Snuffy Smith.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

My Lovely Horse posted:

yes, that rich tapestry, painstakingly developed over the ages
He probably just means we should expect each issue to end with "NEXT: WHAT ASTONISHING?"

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Kennel posted:

That's the left hand! What a terrible artist!
Clearly Val is just so awesome that sheer force of his sword blows can cause enemy appendages to swap, as if by magic.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Roland Jones posted:

Why is he the hero of his gift for her? Good grief, he was also the main character of his story about his dead wife, wasn't he? This man cannot stop writing about himself.
Well, you see, everything that's happened to Les is just so interesting that it merits an autobiographical work, and that's definitely not symptomatic of Batiuk congratulating himself.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

I have no issues deciphering the baby talk, but it's loving obnoxious. Something about Rose is Rose really rubs me the wrong way, and I think the baby talk is symptomatic of it. Maybe how twee the whole thing is?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Jane's World

Wait, what? Flight attendant?
Frankly I'm far more confused as to how she thinks she's married(?) to a woman who has been pretending to be a man(?) but also didn't see the man most of the time because, since he was actually a woman, she spent a nontrivial amount of time with her girlfriend(??) and never once noticed, and now they've just coincidentally run into each other at a gas station(???). Even by the admittedly terrible Jane's World standards of comprehensibility I'm lost as all hell.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Talking about Naked and Afraid has caused them to involuntarily imagine each other naked, so they quickly change the subject out of embarrassment. I honestly think it's one of the better MDJs so far, but that's a very low bar to clear.
I'm pretty sure that at this point Lester could put three completely empty panels and it would be one of his five greatest strips.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

... Is that last strip implying what I think it's implying? :stare:

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician
Mandrake's dad is just the best. "SHUT UP AND THROW A ROCK AT MY HEAD!"

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

LtStorm posted:

Read 'em and weep because you didn't care about chemistry in high school and then washed out of pre-med in college because General Chemistry I was too hard and the professor wouldn't just give you an A even though you've never made anything less in a class before and you told them this repeatedly and emailed them and emailed the department chair but they're all stupid and wouldn't listen, so you have no clue what any of those chemicals are or why it matters that they're there. Also you're not inquisitive enough to actually spend a few minutes looking them up on Wikipedia to see why stuff like what guar gum is or why it's found in so much food.
To be... well, fair is the wrong word, but the whole "If you don't know what it is or how to pronounce it you shouldn't be eating it" thing is an incredibly prevalent myth, deeply entrenched in the public psyche by an almost unceasing media association of "chemicals" with "dangerous."

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Comic Strip Megathread XV: Stand Back and Hurl the Rock at Me - Hard

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

What about the everything? Child murder is like merely one tip of a multiheaded monstrous iceberg hydra.

Nthing the love for "Tomorrow: WHY AMAZING."

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

If they actually go through with this and kill him off while he's totally alone, in the jungle, tripping balls from snake venom, I'm going to be drat impressed.

Not as impressed as I am with Mandrake's dad inexplicably knowing someone with a car, but drat impressed.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Kid Fenris posted:

This comic was a groundbreaker, according to Toonopedia.

I have to seriously wonder what kind of letters to the editor that prompted. Rage? Approval? Nonchalance because nobody gave a drat?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

You Are A Elf posted:

I think David Reddick reads this thread, because how well known is Nemi in the U.S.? I've only ever seen it mentioned here and never knew about it before joining SA.
He's also got a Gil despite that running in (as far as I'm aware) one newspaper. That said, I'm just going to hope he's really up on his current comic strips, because the alternative is horrifying.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom
Alright, credit where credit is due - they did a pretty good job with that cliffhanger, although it ironically backfired a bit because I was sure something more interesting than "And then he got better, whatever" was going to happen.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

I figure Mandrake's dad just slipped in the $2k diamond in the illusion. Or he really, really hates the service industry.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Tiggum posted:

I was just going to say how much I hate when people share a Facebook account, but then I read the rest of the comic and now I'm confused. He's accusing Janis of being in the stone age because she uses Facebook? :confused:
I... think it's a joke about how Facebook is getting somewhat passé amongst younger folks? Like they can't remember their Facebook password because they never use Facebook anymore.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Yeah, I'm going with hates the service industry.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent life

The fact that the utterly banal tripe like "Man I totally eat Halloween candy" is the least annoying part of this strip just speaks volumes. Like, we're talking entire libraries here. And yet I cannot look away. This strip is like one miscarriage plot away from being an ironic phenomenon.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mehuyael posted:

Actually the true story might be that Reddik or what's his name stole Buckley's total crapiness, because CAD is now... Okay. Not something for me since I almost never get the references anymore, but okay for people interested in AAA titles and such.

Perhaps it's like some sort of nonlethal Highlander scenario, and the IL guy absorbed the Lossening. On the other hand, the last time I checked the webcomic thread, CAD was in a very literal sense just words words words, so I'm somewhat skeptical of your assessment.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Kismet posted:

Buckley got a colorist recently (Kate Finnegan), who has serious chops and is doing an impressive job of elevating CAD's art.

Personally I still dislike the writing and think he could stand to work a lot harder on his lines, but it's honestly a huge improvement and cool to see him taking his poo poo more seriously.
Well gently caress me sideways, that actually looks decent. Highlander it is.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Trent posted:

Guess where I am
I'm calling from the plane
Next: Long-distance charges!

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze hasn't updated yet.
An early Christmas present! Santa got my letter.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mister Beeg posted:

And he did better job than the Guy Gilchrist.

I feel like I'd be hard pressed to think of someone who wouldn't do a better job than Gilchrist, barring some kind of armageddon option like Bruce Tinsley. Maybe the Rose is Rose team?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

What I'm learning from these John Darlings and Classic Funkys is that the strip where John Darling got shot had literally the only funny joke Batiuk ever wrote.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

This is literally the second time they've done this bit and, honestly, we are better for it. :allears:

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Careful how loud you say that, officer. Pointing out to Ock that he was outsmarted by Newspaper Spider-Man could drive him to suicide.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

EasyEW posted:

Rip Haywire

I like how, now that he has returned to being a man of action and ever-present danger, Rip's gone back to squinting constantly.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

Does anyone actually know why this 9CL storyline has been going on for over a loving year? Is he that enamored with whatever the hell's going on there?

Well this is the same man who, immediately after wrapping up and congratulating himself on a terrible adaptation of Romeo and Juliet, promptly began to congratulate himself on the rest of his own work, up to and including the terrible adaptation of Romeo and Juliet that he just congratulated himself over.

I'm going with yes, is what I'm driving at.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

ZeeToo posted:

Pearls Before Swine

I'm deeply disturbed by how relatable I find today's strip.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Modern opinion blogs can cater to idiosyncratic tastes, resulting in an illusory appearance of consensus for minority positions. AG- wait, poo poo, what thread is this?

e: But seriously, is Luann just on a generic "Voting is a thing you should do" kick that I'm reading too much into? It's coming across as a vague condemnation of young voters.

SomeMathGuy fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 15, 2014

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Thank god he has amnesia and can't show them his trophy rooms.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Simian_Prime posted:

The only way I could see a K&K cartoon get produced is if Tim & Eric snatched up the rights and just played up the horror of the setting completely straight.

Stoners on Adult Swim would be watching, all like "Oh hey, a cartoon with talking animals, I wonder- THEY'RE ROUNDING UP THE HERBIVORES INTO CAMPS AND SORTING THEM BY FLAVOR WHAT THE CHRIST!!!"

I'd pay good money to sit in on any hypothetical K&K pitch meetings. "So it's about people who are animals." "Alright, but that's not a sell by itself, what's the gimmick?" "Oh, well, the carnivores all round up and routinely eat the herbivores, including the children." "Get the gently caress out of my office."

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

I realize it's probably meant to be innocuous, but man, at first read this poo poo is dark. And then Piccolo wonders why everyone who reads Tina's Groove assumes she's perennially depressed.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

There was literally no goddamn reason for that plotline save to have fate take a dump on one of the cast regulars. For a guy who's so hung up on being an ~artist~ (because I'm not about to pretend every bullshit thing Les does isn't Batiuk jerking himself off over how great his comic is) he sure doesn't seem to understand how to make plot points feel important. Funky Winkerbean isn't everything wrong with comics, or anything trite like that, but it is one of the few strips in this thread that makes me think newspaper editors are morons for choosing to run such dreck in the first place. I can't even stop reading it because I'm just so fascinated by its sheer wretchedness (See also: Intelligent Life).

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

... But hey, at least I have you, Mandrake. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Really Pants posted:

When have they even had any time for ka-noodling?

Sundays, when no one's watching.

• Locked thread