Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Marvel will be publishing Star Wars comics starting in 2015, as expected.

http://starwars.com/news/lucasfilm-and-marvel-join-forces-to-publish-star-wars-comics-and-graphic-novels.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

redbackground posted:

They'll still be able to sell their old/current output, right?

I think Lucasfilms owns all the comics, so it would be on Marvel/Disney to reprint anything, though I guess Dark Horse can continue to sell through their remaining stock following the loss of the license but I'm not sure.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

However many image books I am buying, I am buying that many times more than DC books.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Apparently Thwipster is coming back as...something. Sign up and get in line to have a Thwipster account and do a thing!

http://signup.thwipster.com

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

All I know about whatever's going on is that GBS went from a place where people yell at each other over news items, praise Macklemore and finance hot dog carts to a place that's funny as hell and that bad posters are afraid to touch. I had no idea there was a downside to this.
But you post there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is there a way to read One Punch Man legally without having to buy whole Shonen Jump books? Are those scan sites legal? I'm not *too* concerned about it, but it seems like something I'd enjoy based on the pages I've seen in various threads.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I think more modern stories have suggested that he doesn't immediately lose power, but whatever he expends isn't recharged and it may sap some.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You could theoretically sell your entire account to someone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I always figured I'd donate them to a children's hospital but then figured I shouldn't since comics seem like they would be a good way to spread infections. I did find out that there is a youth emergency service shelter nearby so maybe I'll shoot them an email to see if they want them.

I remember reading somewhere that if you record the cover prices for every comic you donate you would be able to claim them as a donation on your taxes if you get a receipt. I'm not sure if that's actually true or not though.

This is true of like clothing at Goodwill so it should apply to comics as long as you are donating to a registered nonprofit. Also you still have to exceed the standard deduction to claim the deduction. I should do that actually.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Was Taters posted:

Even at a $4 cover price, if I was exceeding the standard deduction with donated comics I would seriously rethink my comics buying :v:
Ditching a couple decades worth of collection might hit it. For a year.

But yeah, I'm just over the standard deduction on state taxes alone, so anything donated is gravy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The majority of Bendis-era event comics ended pretty poorly and just served to set up the next event or status quo and often seeped into comics you were reading whether you were interested in the event or not. Not that all tie-in issues are bad, but it can be annoying to be interested in one story only to have another one completely unrelated to it come along and derail it.

Prior to that, crossovers often took place within regular monthly series instead of being off in their own book, which could mean you either skip a book you were enjoying (again, due it being derailed) or you're stuck buying a bunch of comics you otherwise wouldn't to get the whole story. As an example, let's say you were a reader of Amazing Spider-Man and no other Spider-Man comics (something completely possible as ASM has consistently had higher sales than other Spider-Man comics). Along comes Amazing Spider-Man #378, which is Part 3 of 14 of Maximum Carnage. You now either have to 11 comics you didn't care about or skip three months of one you did.

This was especially noticeable in the 90s for X-Men fans where there was an annual crossover across most or all titles for several years in a row. And very few were really any good, and it left the writers with limited time to tell the stories they wanted to tell.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hey, Civil War gave us learning that Cap doesn't have a MySpace account or watch NASCAR. If that's not important, I don't know what is.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr. Maltose posted:

To be fair, Solar has always been a bit Cyclopsy in design.

Technically, Cyclops looks like Solar since Solar appeared nearly a year before X-Men #1, and didn't get a single colored costume for a bit after that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Moon Knight will end with #5 when Ellis says he lost the scripts on his hard drive crash.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"DC is" is probably the most accurate statement on there. In much the same way as Darkseid.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, it's *really* not hard to map out a three movie series for Green Lantern that likely would have gone over way better than what we got.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

I couldn't tell you anything about the personality of Hal Jordan in that movie. He's a guy?
Same, but the comics.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

Although, I guess a lot of people would suddenly have nothing to post about.
I don't see the downside here.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's the best dad.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think Marvel has plenty of characters who would translate to TV pretty well, and, hey, they're doing just that with Netflix. That Agents of SHIELD is not good is hopefully not really a good indicator of future quality.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What if they are looking for those issues of GLC about the Corpse?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Timeless Appeal posted:

Do you think Batman is a competent figure skater? I don't mean that he could be if he wanted to, and I know he can iceskate. But do you think in his training he learned to do like triple axles and poo poo just in case it came up?
If nothing else, he is not dumb enough to try ice skating uphill.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Soonmot posted:

Don't do it, man. We're here for you if you need to talk.

This, but it's not like those cards have any value whatsoever in 2014.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I somehow missed like 8 issues of it so I'm just going to trade wait. Or, more realistically, go grab the older ones since I've never actually read them. The couple issues I read were real good though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DressCodeBlue posted:

Hey, does anyone know if the plastic used to bag comics can stand up to 140ish degrees Fahrenheit? I'm getting my apartment heat treated for bed bugs next week (thank you pack of dudebros next door who didn't initially tell me about their infestation until after they treated their place, pushing them over to mine), and I'm trying to figure out what to do with my funnybooks. :ohdear:

If it'll melt all over them, I'm just gonna take the books out and trash the plastic. Only reason I even have them bagged/boarded was I got the supplies for free.

Ugh that sucks. But no, looks like melting point of Mylar is 254 C, so you'll be fine.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

That's mylar which is expensive as gently caress. Most comic sleeves are made of polypropylene.

266 F. Still well above 140!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah. Quitting that store makes plenty of sense. Completely quitting the hobby not so much. But at the same time, taking a break for a bit and coming back with a clean slate might not be the worst idea to get a fresh outlook and find stuff you truly love and enjoy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah. I need to take a look at some of the things I'm buying and pare way back. I think pretty much all the X-Men books are on the chopping block at this point.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

It's amazing how often people come up with these framing devices and don't have the resolution/cop-out already in mind when they do it.

In Spawn's case, I don't think Todd was expecting it to last as long as it did or be as lucrative as it was, and intended for there to be an actual end to the series.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You mean Original Writer.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Spawn's power meter was an interesting narrative idea that could have led to some cool ideas under a good writer on a series that wasn't intended to run forever. Instead they just got to a point where they could ditch it since it was hamstringing them as intended.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gavok posted:

I admittedly don't follow Japanese wrestling, but this Prince Devitt guy has become one of my favorite wrestlers ever.

Badass.

Another.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Waterhaul posted:

Wolverine.
I'm not *really* sure this counts since I think the whole idea was he was a man with no real past. And if he does count, then so does Cable, and gently caress that.

Senor Candle posted:

They are kind of doing that in Mighty Avengers right now. I don't think they've come out and said who is wearing the Ronin costume but he is running around in other comics.
Hell, Ronin's original identity was a secret for awhile, too.

Oh, and wasn't Iron Fist posing as Daredevil while Matt was in jail kept as a secret for a bit?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I couldn't remember if Clint was or not. I think at most they didn't announce who it was until the first issue with him as Ronin, but I could be wrong.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

The Harbinger from Acclaim/Valiant in the late 90's. They didn't reveal his identity until the final issue.

You mean The Visitor?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think it is an optional thing where they are doing a very collaborative effort and not one person handing a script to someone else to draw.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The album inspired by Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck is out. It's, uh, not the badass metal album I was hoping for, but still pretty good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

notthegoatseguy posted:

Is it even possible to see that movie? I know the cast made media/con appearances but it was never actually released.

Also, is there a list of BSS Twitters somewhere? I'm only following a handful. Do doogs or burtle have one?
Burtle's is @burts.

There's a bunch of BSSers on Twitter. Mine is @EndlessMike (like anyone would want to follow me)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't really tweet about comics much either, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Waterhaul posted:

I think everyone has pretty much made their points clear now.

Just move onto something else.

Can I still make fun of Rhyno for wanting to waste $200 on vodka instead of a good liquor? That would get a good rear end bottle of whisk(e)y.

• Locked thread