Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Waterhaul posted:

And it's not even the tip of what was announced.

New Gillen/McKelvie book.
Morrison/Burnham
Fraction bringing Casanova back to Image.
SNYDER/JOCK
Graham/Rios and a murder row of artists.
BITCH.PLANET.
Remender/Tocchini
More Brubaker and Phillips.

And a poo poo load more

This is a gonna be a good year for comics.

I got a little laugh at the fact that the Willingham Image book is basically Fables.

quote:

Bill Willingham (Fables, Elementals) and Barry Kitson (Batman, Fables) reveal that the magic and gods of legend and lore are not just oral history, but real...and now they’re back in the forthcoming series RESTORATION.
Same artist to boot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

redbackground posted:

I've heard of two of them! :v:

If Michael Fiffe is not one of them, you need to start reading COPRA.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Adam Hughes is leering at me. :(

And Jeff Smith is offering you some candy

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

paulnewmanseyes posted:

In Tom Strong it's a dude who gets raped, which is a change from the norm I guess

Twice. And on both occasions he basically goes: "Welp." which is a bit hosed up.
And since we're talking Tom Strong, I finished reading the new series, The Planet of Peril. I liked it, even though it should've been called Tom Strong/Terra Obscura, because unless you read that mini a few years ago, you would be lost as to who the hell anyone (besides the Strong family) is.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I Before E posted:

I dunno about him, but I got my copy for 10 bucks at Barnes and Noble.

And it's 30 bucks on Amazon.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

KoldPT posted:

McKelvie reposted this and a bunch more because of Ellen Page's coming out. Some pretty nice art in there.

McKelvie can only draw one type of face, can't he?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

RevKrule posted:

It's my biggest complaint with him. He's got a bunch of other talents but that's not a strength.

I agree, same with Notto.
Besides Captain Marvel, Kid and Teenage Loki what other redesigns has he done? Were the Young Avengers costumes all on him?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

TwoPair posted:

He did Wiccan's "demiurge" costume too didn't he? Or am I remembering wrong and Wiccan was wearing that one the whole time?

No, you are right, the demiurge one is new. Did Hawkeye's costume came from YA or Fraction's Hawkeye? (I think she wore it in the one issue with the car chase)

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Waterhaul posted:

Red Tornado is better than The Vision because he has a cool song named after him and Vison doesn't.
:mad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQcT5M26Vow
(ok, I'm cheating)

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

zoux posted:

Radioactive Cyclops :eng101:

Also in reading so many modern comics I have developed a deep dislike of Land. I'm assuming he keeps getting work because he meets deadlines.

Do people outside of this forum like him? With Liefeld I know gets some people interested, but Land's tracing is so loving boring I can hardly imagine his appeal.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Madkal posted:

Stan is a freaking national treasure. It will be a sad sad sad day when he dies.

Stan Lee on that Playboy interview posted:

LEE: Zombies are puzzling to me. They’re all the rage now, but I never understood them. Think about it: If I were dead and could come back to life, I wouldn’t go around trying to kill people. I’d be saying, “Wow! I’m the luckiest guy in the world. Isn’t this terrific? Hello, you wonderful person. Let’s go out and have fun.” If I go out in a flash but then somehow make it back, I’m not going to be angry. There’s going to be a great big celebration.
:allears:

I don't agree with a lot of what Stan Lee says or does (or what people say he did), but at this point he's come to represent more than just himself and he has built this image around himself of, as Dickeye said, the kooky uncle who's a good storyteller. You might not believe everything he says but you will definitely be sad when he passes away.

Vincent fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Mar 20, 2014

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Or just give us more Spider-Boy, I'm not greedy.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

There is something very disturbing about this cover.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I started re-watching Justice League from the beginning on Netflix. It's still good, but I forgot how much Superman and J'onn got punked on it.
I'm also thinking about buying my first action figure ever (Brother Warth) and putting it next to my Ganesha statue.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's pretty solid! The first season is probably stronger than the second. It suffers a little bit from being a notably... well... Greg Weisman-ian, with a lot of the villains being variations on David Xanatos of Gargoyles, but if you can put up with a lot of "ha, if only they knew that my real plan succeeded all along...", it's the strongest version of the Titans concept we've had in many, many years. Certainly the best since the actual Young Justice comic itself.

The whole "The Titans (ok, "the team") never really win because the villain had contingency plans out the rear end" thing got old really fast tho.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

zoux posted:

My roommate was hating on Doop the other day, I almost went upside his head.

You should've unleashed the funk on him.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Omega Beans.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Madkal posted:

I was watching Road to Perdition the other day and I knew that it was based on comic. I have never read the comic but it got me wondering how good the comics that movies are based actually are. I am talking about comics like Road to Perdition, Ghost World, History of Violence, Men in Black, the Mask etc. Basically any movie based on a comic that isn't done by the big 2.

The History of Violence comic is not as good as the movie. It's less restrained in what it shows and that works against the story. While the movie also has this sort of explosions of violence, they come as a shock and as a way to break sort of calm and suspense between the scenes (and the perception that Vigo Mortensen's character is just a regular person with no ties to the mobsters). In the comic we find out rather early the main character's story and his relationship with the "bad guys" so it has to escalate both the violence and the reveals in order to surprise or shock the reader, which ends up feeling played out and kind of ridiculous to be honest.

Basically, the movie is a much tighter story and is better told.

And as I understand it, the MiB comics were much darker and more conspiracy theory than fun sci-fi romp.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Whoever creates the costume thread needs to put this in the op
Tim Gun on comics costume part 1 and 2

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Solaris Knight posted:

I've heard a ot of hype about these books, and this seems like a really insanely good bargain to get on the ground floor of them, and for the price of like, 2 issues of a DC or Marvel book.

Every one of those books except Morning Glories is a home run.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

If anything that list is a good one to keep in mind when looking for good comics to read. And yeah, Love & Rockets definetly deserves the #1 spot on any and every list it appears pertaining good reads.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Alien Rope Burn posted:

So, explain Omega Red.
???

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

moot the hopple posted:

Also, if you have additional general comic-reading resources or any other information that you'd like to see added to the OP, post them here or PM me.
You should also mention the movie, Satrapi seemed very hands-on on the dvd extras.

I haven't read it, so I can't nominate it in good faith but if you are interested in a discussion about female creators in comics there's Pretty in Ink, a book that tells the story of women on the comics field. Here's a summary from the amazon page

amazon posted:

Trina Robbins updates her seminal historical survey of female cartoonists for the 21st century — when female cartoonists such as Alison Bechdel, Lynda Barry, and Kate Beaton are at perhaps their highest profile.

With the 1896 publication of Rose O’Neill’s comic strip The Old Subscriber Calls, in Truth Magazine, American women entered the field of comics, and they never left it. But, you might not know that reading most of the comics histories out there. Trina Robbins has spent the last thirty years recording the accomplishments of a century of women cartoonists, and Pretty in Ink is her ultimate book, a revised, updated and rewritten history of women cartoonists, with more color illustrations than ever before, and with some startling new discoveries (such as a Native American woman cartoonist from the 1940s who was also a Corporal in the women’s army, and the revelation that a cartoonist included in all of Robbins’s previous histories was a man!) In the pages of Pretty in Ink you’ll find new photos and correspondence from cartoonists Ethel Hays and Edwina Dumm, and the true story of Golden Age comic book star Lily Renee, as intriguing as the comics she drew. Although the comics profession was dominated by men, there were far more women working in the profession throughout the 20th century than other histories indicate, and they have flourished in the 21st. Robbins not only documents the increasing relevance of women throughout the 20th century, with mainstream creators such as Ramona Fradon and Dale Messick and alternative cartoonists such as Lynda Barry, Carol Tyler, and Phoebe Gloeckner, but the latest generation of women cartoonists—Megan Kelso, Cathy Malkasian, Linda Medley, and Lilli Carré, among many others. Robbins is the preeminent historian of women comic artists; forget her previous histories: Pretty in Ink is her most comprehensive volume to date. Black & white illustrations with 48 pages of color

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

And on that day, Stephen Amell will kill you.

Unless it's season 2 Amell, then he will only break your arm and leave you with a concussion.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I'm reading Love and Rockets again. Still owns.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

zoux posted:

Brandon Bird has a new series of arts inspired by a terrible X-men coloring book.

This proves that people would like Cyclops if his power was shooting snakes out of his eyes.

Vincent fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 27, 2014

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Gabriel Soria posted this on his tumblr
http://bitchinville.tumblr.com/post/87022612971/historia-de-la-musica-rock-locas

It's a compilation album he made of the songs that appear on the first fifty issues of Love and Rockets.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

unao posted:

I would like to talk about something less superheroey, so i'll begin:
Today i got Building stories by Chris Ware, and it's so hard to read, given the format(many stories of different sizes, bindings, etc.).
I also got Roma, la loba by chilean poet Enrique Lihn. As i got it today i haven't read anything yet, so not a lot to say about that. However i got something for you, if you can read spanish, there is a pdf from Chile's digital library in the following link: http://www.memoriachilena.cl/archivos2/pdfs/MC0009642.pdf

I kept seeing Lihn's work at the store in the Museo de Bellas Artes in Santiago, but never thought about picking it up (books here, any type of books, are very expensive). I don't know if I like his work, his art is VERY busy and chaotic (like the story so I suppose it's intentional). Thanks for the link , by the way, I will definitely read that article about comics by Jodorowsky.

Talking about Jodorowsky, did anyone else here read the new Metabarons story/volume that was released a few months ago? It dealt with the origin of the Castaka family (the main protagonists are the grandfather and mother of the man who gave Othon that white bird spirit thing and who taught him the Bushitaka). It's still blunt as gently caress with the dialogue but man, can Das Pastoras draw some brutal action scenes.

Chilean comics: I don't know if these ones are translated but I recommend that if you come by some of these, at least give them a try.
Maliki Cuatro Ojos (Maliki Four Eyes): By Maliki. It's a slice-of-life comic about the author, there is one collection that deals with her childhood and teenage years in Chile, then her life in New York and finally her life as a mother of two girls. I think this one id the most likely to be collected in english, as she published some of her strips and pages in english for some magazines.

Anarko: By Juka. This is a sort of underground comics classic here (though, "underground" could also describe any comic that's not Mampato or Condorito) it's a humor comic about a rebellious young man constantly fighting the cops and living life in Valparaiso. At first the art is kinda bad but it get way, way better as the strip goes on. There is a complete collection that has all the Anarko strips from the different magazines he has appeared on.

Mampato: By Themo Lobos. It is the premiere adventure strip for kids in Chile. It first started as the serialized adventures of a kid who, in return for helping an alien get back to his planet, receives the "cinto espacio-temporal" (time travelling belt) which he uses to go on adventures spanning different eras and locales. Early on he finds Ogu (my favorite chilean comic character) a strong and helpful cave-man who is deathly afraid of water. The comic is just plain fun, with some of the best art in the business here. Sadly Lobos passed away a few years, but he left a lot of great volumes and you can pick up any one, since they are all mostly self-contained and also have a page explaining the whole story with the belt, Mampato's travels and who or what he meets in them. This one has been translated to a lot of languages also.

Diablo: Chile also had the grim and gritty of the 90's in it's comics, and the poster boy for this is Diablo. His origin is basically the same one as Spawn (side note: a lot of Chile's comic's output starts as a copy of a more popular one. Some then move on to do their own thing and some keep on chugging until a) the company goes under or b) the author/s just stop making the comic). Very little probability of this one being in english, but I mentioned it here because it features two important things about the chilean comic style of the late 90's- early 2000's: the copy-thing I mentioned before and the strong influence of manga and japanese style on the art (mostly shoujo or dragonball z style). Anime and Manga where a huge drat thing here for a long while, from the 80's towards the early 2000's most if not every kid watched from Heidi to Candy Candy to Saint Seiya to Dragon Ball (vanilla, Z, GT and on), Pokemon, etc. So that's what a lot of artists pick-up as influences or use as a way to get more sales.

Capitán Chile: Zapp Branigan as a super-hero. It's great. No way it's in english tho. Also available as a collection of all of the strips.

Those are the more known titles but sadly, I don't know much about many other strips or stories as I was way too young when the comic-boom happened here and when most indie strips were being sold and a lot of the new ones are just not that good. There is one I really like called Brujo, which is a super-hero story about a college slacker who is chosen to be the new Brujo, a super-hero with mystical powers. What I like about it are two things, one: It draws a lot from Chilean (mostly southern) mythology and folklore, for example, the one of the creatures helping the main character with his new powers and his adventures is a very smart Invuche (think Beast, but more golden-gray and with a leg stitched to his back) and the cape that gives the power to Brujo (also a mythological term) is his "cuero" (skin"), his cape, which in itself is another part of chilean mythology. and two: the authors are very inspired by Giffen, deMatteis and McGuire and their JLI for the stories, as the book has a lot of humor. It was first being serialized in a magazine called Caleuche, then jumped to a new magazine called Heroés which lasted like 5 issues and then I lost track of it, but I think it's sadly no longer being published.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Senor Candle posted:

Are comics in Chile published together in magazines like in Japan? Or is it more like single issues like they are here.

Now there are more comics being published in single issues, mostly super-hero comics, but before the majority were published as magazines with different strips by different authors, some of 'em one shots or humor strips with a central character but no story progression, like Anarko, some of 'em slice of life stuff. There were also a few prose pieces. Most if not all of this type of magazines were only sold in specialized shops (comic, music, some tattoo shops) and didn't last long. The reason for that is that the magazines were created by the same artists and their group of friends and colleagues, so a lot of 'em started with little money. Characters and artist jumped from one to another (some also made the jump to newspapers). Now with the internet is easier to put the strips up and then collecting them in a book and selling them at comic-fairs or conventions (also run and started by artists so most of 'em are just a few tables where they can sell their stuff, with the ever-present section to the one or two kids who put up their anime-fan art).

I think that because in Chile we have no big comic publishing company so a lot of the time the magazines that pop up are the result of artists pooling their resources together.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

unao posted:

Given that i have some audience, here is another link in spanish: http://www.blancoexperimental.com/ . I found about those trougth their phisycal edition. there is one paper issue which has cartoonist such as Nicolás Pérez del Arce and Rodrigo Salinas, whose works i really enjoy.

Number 52 features a friend of mine (his' is the first story)! Yeah, get Anarko if you can (the complete collection is 6.000 pesos). I remember first reading the strip on the pages of El Carrete/La Mancha, I think. (side note: I think I saw Kobal in the Santiago Comic Con next to some animation studio.)

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Nothing's gonna top that alt cover for Sex Criminals, though, so why try?

Because you could get that cover signed by "Stan Lee" for just five bucks.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Rhyno posted:

So I can't find a loving thing, did Dale Keown announce Pitt is coming back or something? Because I've had 5 guys add it to their pull lists this month alone and I can't find any info on the book coming back. What the gently caress?

I knida want this to just be a stupid prank pulled by some kids with nothing better to do.

Vincent fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jun 19, 2014

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Lately I've been on an american comic-book history kick. So far I've only read The Ten Cent Plague and Men of Tomorrow (Plus, I've skimmed bits of the Marvel book by Sean Howe, which I will finish soon-ish.) What other books do you guys and girls recommend? I'm interested in Pretty in Pink, since the books I mentioned before sadly don't mention female creators of any sort of meaningful female presence in the industry. Has anyone read that book?

Also, If you can pick up Bernie Wrightson's Frankenstein, do. It is simply a stunning book.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

If you like digital books there's this history of Image Comics from Two Morrows publishing, who do a lot of comics history stuff http://twomorrows.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=543
I don't have an ereader, but I'll keep it in mind, thanks!

Hey gues what, Bartkira volume 1 was released!
http://www.bartkira.com/

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Waterhaul posted:

I swear if one of you jerks try to say a bad word about Moebius

His strips seems to go on forever.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

WickedHate posted:

See, that was my mistake, because outside of one singer and one group, I don't really know poo poo about rap or other rap artists, so that's what hit my brain when the topic of rappers and comics came up.

As penance: Go listen to Enter the Wu-Tang and Mm.. Food

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Gavok posted:

Lady Hawkeye knows what's up.

(Preemptive "gently caress y'all!" for the aftermath of this post)

Of course someone with multiple concussions would like jersey.
I actually don't know what the hell I'm talking about. Not american.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

zoux posted:

So are the DC women writers writing as many terrible books as the men writers?

yes.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Senor Candle posted:

This would be a good time to post the panel from She-Hulk where Shocker is talking about all the different Thors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Madkal posted:

What is Angela's new origin/background in Marvel? I take it she doesn't go around killing hellspawns anymore.

So far she just appeared out in space and has been running around with the Guardians of the Galaxy and hanging out with Gamora while they kill things. It's pretty fun.
Now thanks to Original Sin we know that she's actually Thor's sister.
Apparently like a thousand years ago the Asgardians were at war with the realm of the angels ("the tenth realm") and their queen kidnapped Odin and Freija's daughter and she seemingly killed her. In a fit of rage, Odin banished the tenth realm from creation and that's all we know so far.

• Locked thread