Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

iostream.h posted:

I am really torn between a MOTU 828mkii and a Scarlett 18i20. I know the MOTU is older (and FireWire) but it's supposed to sound really good.

Any opinions? I know at one point that MOTU was supposed to be 'all that' but can someone help me figure out how it stacks up now?

It'll be used on OS X incidentally.

I've had a MOTU 896 for quite a few years now, and I love it. I've never had any problems with it until a few weeks ago, when the FW connection went kaput. My understanding is that MOTU will replace/repair for $100. I just need to get around to sending it to them.

Honestly, I love the thing. I've been using it with Logic for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

toadee posted:

Do you think the MOTU interfaces would really be worth the premium?

I've had an 896mk3 for quite a few years now, and I've been extremely pleased with it. We've made 2 records and an EP with it, and their customer support (on the rare occasion I have needed it) has been top notch. Best of all, when something did go seriously wrong with my interface, even though it was out of warranty, they repaired/replaced it for $100 flat (I don't actually know which of the two they did!).

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

Trig Discipline posted:

I don't have any experience with that one directly, but every MOTU box I've had was pretty great.

Ditto. I've been running an 896mk3 Firewire for 6 years or so, and I love it. It's been rock solid, and when I did run into problems, the guys at MOTU took care of it nice and easy. I would definitely buy something from them again without a second thought.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

Radiapathy posted:

But as Splinter said, MOTU does make half-rack interfaces with lots of analog I/O. iConnectivity is also doing some really interesting stuff in that form factor, but not with as many analog I/O connectors.

Additionally, MOTU support is simply wonderful. I've had my 896mk3 for probably 8 years, maybe more. Carted it all over the country and into various lovely bars. Twice in that time period, I've suffered hardware failures in it, and they've just sent me a brand-new one for a flat $100.00. I'm a big fan of their products and their company.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

JamesKPolk posted:

Got a troubleshooting question - kinda a niche issue - I'm using MOTU FW stuff on a Mac with no FW port but a TB adapter, and it stopped working!

If this is actually the interface I guess my question becomes "What are the good USB behringers now?" but I'm hoping someone else has experience troubleshooting this signal chain.

I have a MOTU 828mk2 FireWire. It works pretty well! I am recording onto a Macbook Pro with no FW ports, but I have a FW-> Thunderbolt dongle. I have recorded successfully using this setup and basically left it alone for a while without hooking up my computer (I have the interface set up to route audio to monitors and it works standalone).

It used to be when I would connect and turn on the interface, the MOTU software would pop up and then it would take over my sound duties and become available in software. When I tried the other day, this didn't happen - I'm not seeing any connection in my audio settings, DAW, or my Thunderbolt Ports (in System Info, which told me something useful when I was first setting everything up, but I forget what).

I've tried re-installing drivers, I'm on what should be a working OS version (10.12.6), and I've tried a different cable (and both ports on both machines).

Is there any thing else to do? Is there a way to figure out if the issue is with my computer, my dongle, or my interface?

Or if not, what are the good Behringers?

I'm running a similar set up with an 896mk2 FireWire (except for the OS; I'm on 10.14.6). The easiest move at this point is replacing the TB converter since you've tried new cables. You might also try downloading updated drivers from MOTU. Failing that, the folks at MOTU are extremely nice and helpful people, and if it is a hardware issue, they will probably replace the unit for about $100 (I've done it twice with my probably 10-year-old 896mk3).

edit: Now that I am thinking of it, I think I had the exact same problem as you. I think the FW port on the unit had gone bad. So they replaced it for me with no trouble.

El Miguel fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Sep 27, 2019