Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

JT Jag posted:

Yeah my state kinda blows.

For the record, the murder charge in the Dunn trial was first degree murder, and it's possible the jury got hung up on whether the murder was premeditated or not, premeditation being a required component in a first degree murder conviction. If Dunn was charged with second degree or manslaughter they probably would have convicted him (hell, it follows that if he was convicted for attempted second degree murder of the guys that lived, he should at least be guilty of successful second degree murder of the guy that died).

And they should have charged him with Second Degree Murder. First Degree was going to be a hard sell in Jackshitville, FL when the case at hand involves an old white shithead murdering black kids listening to "urban" music and that should have been very apparent. I mean my gosh I bet they were even wearing hoodies!

How in the everloving poo poo it doesn't fall under the felony-murder rule now that he's been convicted of 3 felonies that resulted in a death is beyond me though. Or maybe that's how they're going to try him again, I haven't paid enough attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Majorian posted:

The problem is, it's Russia. Their sense of what is rational doesn't match ours 100%. Prestige issues like retaking a piece of land that's traditionally been theirs matter more to them than they might to us. Reasserting themselves as a geopolitical global power is a huge priority. They have long considered themselves the Eastern pole of military clout in Christendom, the heir to Byzantium, and by God, they're going to show it. In the long run they're not going to be any less loved or trusted on the world stage than they are because of this. They may be more feared, though, and that's never been a negative in the Russian political mind.

If you swap East with West and Russia with USA it makes no difference, so I have a hard time blaming Russia/Putin for their actions on a political level.

The real hilarious part is that the GOP are slobbering all over themselves loving on Putin while simultaneously ignoring why they think they deify Dear Leader Reagan which was all a collective delusion in the first place.

But a black guy got elected and wore some jeans, so let's all get loving retarded!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Notsosubtle posted:

Buying all of the slaves makes no sense to me. Because you're not just buying those slaves, you're buying all of the slaves and then making slavery illegal. Therefore you can't really put an easy dollar value (as abhorrent as that prospect is in the first place) - because you're buying that property and all of the future profits from slavery down the line.

It makes no sense on its face because no or vanishingly few slave owners would have ever agreed to it, disregarding how ethically repugnant it is. As was pointed out by one of the people who actually knew what they were talking about, the slave labor industry was worth more than all the rest combined at the time. I still fail to even see why someone would make the arguments Napolitano did other than to troll.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mr. Fowl posted:

I'm fond of Rutherford B Hayes as my personal Worst of the Worst. Elected as part of smoke-filled backroom deal, ended Reconstruction as per the terms of the deal, and to he tried to wash away the stain of his dubious election with the blood of countless Native Americans using the very troops that were just moved out of the South. Countless people were killed, murdered, and oppressed to legitimize his presidency--how's that for a bad president?

Dubious election decided by a cabal of unelected powerbrokers, murdering countless brown people for literally no reason? Sounds pretty familiar actually!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yeah, I phrased that poorly. You touch on why these shows keep failing, in that they want to promote conservative talking points with (poorly written, sneering) comedy, instead of doing comedy with a conservative mindset.

I seriously lost track of how many jokes in that video had the punchline "gently caress you got mine."

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

johntfs posted:

Because it's an example of hypocrisy and hypocrisy is always good for a laugh.

It's not really hypocrisy though. Conservatives claim to want to cut spending, full stop. But really only even care about it when it's a way to gently caress over poor people. That's hypocrisy.

"Liberals" insofaras you can call democrats liberal (which ain't much) do not profess to care about or even for the most part acknowledge the existence of issues like

quote:

"liberals" who in a mad rush to check the privileges of everyone everywhere or whatever and just end up being another, minor, kind of oppressor. Feminist groups who exclude trans-women, "gamers" who get furious at women who like the sexy clothes most women characters in game end up in, that kind of thing.

Democrats claim to be for stuff like equal pay and letting gays get married (sometimes). No hypocrisy there, unless you infer it from tumblr blogs or something. Cut spending (but only when it fucks the poor) is the official party line spouted by politicians and their bought and paid for propaganda channel.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I've never heard of this woman until now, what else has she done like this?

I've never heard of her either, but she sure did accomplish making me think she's an attention whoring idiot with this.

The Redskins skit wasn't even anything remarkable.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Justin_Brett posted:

I like how pissed Colbert sounded when he was talking about how no-one gave a poo poo about the Redskins thing.

Because nobody does. Yeah Snyder's fake guilt charity is stupid in every imaginable way, but I don't think I've ever seen anything but 1 or 2 activist groups give a gently caress about the name that weren't just the same thing as white people being like this twitter lady getting angry on behalf of an actual minority. This comes up every few years before the media realizes that nobody actually gives a poo poo about the Redskins' name. Also for context, DC still remembers the suuuuuper dumb name change of the Bullets.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Astro Nut posted:

Of course, what people also forget is that Zionism generally disagrees with a lot of the views that Stewart himself holds, so it'd be a bit weird if he actually started supporting a Zionist platform.

The Israeli lobby and general US government kowtowing to (for its own reasons) it has been super successful at equating Judaism and Israeli policy, and the logical extension of that - "disagreeing with Israel at all = HITLER NAZI MONSTER." It's hard to blame people for getting confused.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, its very much like that. They kind of latch only ANYTHING thats anti-establishment uncritically. Not everything, they may bitch about how anti-science anti vaxers are but then they'll post some dumb meme about GMO foods are killing us from naturalnews. I have just gotten to the point where I just hide these stupid posts. Thing is, i don't think they actually read the article, they just see "Big banks are destroying the world to line their own pockets!" and completely miss the Forrest through the trees. Though most have smartened up and don't post anything from Infowars or such sites anymore.

Oh these types, I can't stand them and they're basically the big problem I have with the green party. There is nothing wrong with GMO and nuclear power is awesome, you blabbering fools.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

BigRed0427 posted:

Wait...theoretically, isn't that a risk with any car?

I own a Mazda and I guess they're just super sexy to spiders because some mornings I just open the door and a teeming wave of spiders comes flooding out. One side benefit is that the swarming mass of spiders coating every surface acts as a seat warmer on cold days.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Justin_Brett posted:

I have a hard time believing Jon did this. Seems off.

"Because it's loving funny" is not out of character for Jon, nor is it getting "cussed out" by Jon Stewart, for gently caress's sake I say worse things to the self checkout machine on a regular basis, but let's put that aside.

What I don't buy is that the warm up comic just walked out and started, if you believe the writer, just dropping n-bombs and mocking lesbians or whatever as if it were a Mississippi dive bar where nobody has sleeves and there's no less than 12 confederate flags and/or dead animals on the wall.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Someguy posted:

This is loving terrible news. I'm not excited to see Stephen neutered for some lovely network late night show. Or watch him banter with worthless 'celebs'.

This, except it's a flagship (lol at this in 2014) late night talk show, so it's not even a matter of Colbert getting neutered by someone unwilllingly; he wanted this. I guess whatever good does manage to come of it will wind up on youtube, but I'm not going to watch it every day, especially since I already skipped 95% of the interview segments, which are the focus of the lovely late night talk show format he's moving to, only with even less interesting guests.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah, I mean, I don't blame him at all for dumping a gimmick and a typecast at all after this long, and I wish him all the best. But the late night talk show format is such a loving shitshow that I don't think there's any chance he will be as good as he has been on The Report.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Astro Nut posted:

Pardon my language a bit, but why the gently caress are sports coaches getting more pay as public employees than your freaking President?

Because publicly subsidized farm teams for the NFL are the most important thing, duh.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fragmented posted:

Seriously SomethingAwful? Why hate before you see something, I know that's like our thing but cmon this is Colbert, can anyone say with truthiness that he wont own it and redefine late night comedy? No? So shut the gently caress up we still have another year. I grew up with late night TV, Colbert will be awesome just because of everything you are all complaining about.

Read your post again with a hard T on his name. See if you feel as confident.

Then remember that Late Night is an "institution" and remember that its main purpose is to suck the dick whoever has a terrible movie coming out for an hour+ after a short comedy segment. I'm sure the comedy segment will be ok, but I don't have much faith in CBS giving Stephen free reign.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Also why are we pretending that Colbert's show isn't already a giant fluffjob for people pushing their books/band/movie?

Because that's only a few minutes of it usually, not 3/4 or more like it is on late night talk shows. And while he does do fluff pieces, The Report isn't part of the "I have a new movie coming out" cocksuck tour that late night talk shows are, especially The Tonight Show/Late Show.

e: I rarely watch the interview segments on TDS/Colbert; I don't even get why they do them. Colbert was never that good at it, and Jon clearly had Viacom declaw him a couple years back.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I have no idea what world you live in at this point.

He had a loving week long thing where he had nothing but bands with new albums on, nearly every blockbuster movie coming out involves one of the stars coming to his show. He's not just a part of that world, he's a critical one because his show reaches the important demos way better than most others.

Yeah and his show sucked balls that week.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

JT Jag posted:

They all have a year to put in their resumes elsewhere, and I imagine it won't be hard for them to find jobs with that particular credit to their name.

Is Colbert taking all his people or just the writers?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

swickles posted:

They should just make it into a live version of Drunk History except they are discussing current events instead of history.

The best suggestion so far tbh. Also a great excuse to get Norm MacDonald back.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

There's never a good reason to get Norm Macdonald, let along get him "back."

You shut your assistant crack whore mouth. Norm is great.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I enjoy Norm when he's being the comedian's comedian and cracking up other funny people on a talk show or roast, but his Comedy Central show was a huge disappointment. Except for Blake Griffin pretending to be Norm in Blake Griffin's body, that was hilarious.

I assumed it sucked because I was missing the jokes or something because it was all about sports, so it actually just sucked?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Kibayasu posted:

then finished it off with "Cubs won the Cold War because Reagan!" and then Iran-Contra. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit of a cold exit afterwards.

If the cubs are Reagan then senility and incompetence might explain why they can't win.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

radlum posted:

I don't live in the US

But you do live on the internet!

They're best as audiobooks imo.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

CSM posted:

When burglars are breaking into your home, you just get in your sniper nest.

Sometimes haters be hating and you want to be a good 2 miles away when you stand your ground so as not to get any hate on you.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

EconOutlines posted:

I'm not afraid Obama is going to take my guns. I just like things that go *BOOM*, even if some people feel like its 'unnecessary' to own certain things. If it doesn't hurt anyone, whats the problem?

It unfortunately does hurt quite a good number of people. But the anger is misdirected, generally, because solving the causes of our country being so prone to violent outbursts is far more daunting and involves "SOSHULIZM :byodood::hf::beck:" so loving forget it. Just look at the crazy Obama catches for government enforced corporate welfare for the for-profit healthcare industry and the even more egregious crime of acknowledging that drug war sentences for crack were ridiculously racist*.

* It wasn't even really driven by him

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Acquilae posted:

catching up on last night's show and how the hell does the VA poo poo keep on compounding?

Grossly inadequate funding + corruption because congress is more interested in corporate welfare like the F35 than the actual humans they send to murder browns overseas.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Guys you aren't the market for the American products their American advertisers sell. You don't subscribe to the American cable companies they air on. I know it sucks not to be able to watch a show you like, but you can't expect to be given things for free. Don't the talented staff of these shows deserve to be paid? I wouldn't condemn anybody for using one of the many workarounds, but I don't understand the eternal surprise that their business model doesn't feature giving away their content and bandwidth for free.

I can't imagine they make a shitload of money off showing the Corona logo for 3 seconds at the beginning of the videos.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Drifter posted:

jesus Christ Tiny, he made one loving post about it and now you're laying into him like some power hungry Wikipedia moderator.

Calm your tits.

As an aside, I really don't like the books put out by Stewart and the Daily Show (A Visitor's Guide to Earth, and Citizen's Guide to Democracy), while I find Colbert's stuff (America Again, and I am America) to be loving hilarious.

The Daily Show ones feel like they are trying way too hard to be funny, and as a result there is no humor, merely catchphrases or references or a feeling of something being bland and manufactured. :shrug:

This is why all of them are better as audiobooks. Audiobooks aren't real books.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

OneTwentySix posted:

That said, I'm sure there are Paula Deen recipes that are absolutely terrifying.

Her fudge has a brick of velveeta in it iirc.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

comes along bort posted:

Unfortunately you can't drink seawater.

You can, it's just not a very good idea. Much like voting republican, so it makes a lot of sense.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Y-Hat posted:

I didn't even bother to watch any of the Geithner interview, especially since it was two parts abridged.

These days Jon is so toothless with total shitbags that I don't even bother with the interview segments like that. Although I skip 95% of the interview segments on TDS and Colbert anyway.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Grand Fromage posted:

Fifty years ago everybody knew that one kid who got disabled from polio, when's the last time that happened? I don't even how can you possibly argh. :psyduck:

It's making a real comeback in some areas with some people who have similar views on science to those of the anti-vaxx crowd, the Taliban.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

haveblue posted:

They have an excuse in that a vaccination campaign was part of the US's hunt for bin Laden.

I believe the report I saw was mainly in that the crazy tribal jerks were pissed that women were the ones going around trying to do it because women.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

I don't know anything about it aside from what he mentioned in the segment, but why?

How else are you going to buy ebooks?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Drifter posted:

I would drink it occasionally, I have no problems with the idea of it, and Colbert went in for a second sip so it can't taste too terrible. I've had worse tasting protein drinks for breakfast.

I would seriously consider it for breakfast, as I hate that meal and am never actually hungry in the morning although I know not eating it makes me feel like crap later. Except I'm pretty sure there's already canned stuff that would fill that niche if I cared enough to buy it.

e: RE google glass, I can't wait for it to be found in violation of wiretapping laws in dual party states. It's not so much that it's dorky and "explorers" are unbelievably douchey, it's that it's recording everyone at all times and that's really not ok.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 14, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

But it's not really, is it? That sounds like it would take an enormous amount of storage space and battery power.

My understanding is that it's like a DVR where it records the past whatever minutes and you can choose to save that - the videos of then getting thrown out of various establishments being evidence.

But yeah I imagine the stupid things don't last very long on battery.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ultramiraculous posted:

That was actually a joke people would make when those accusations first came about. Recording constantly would mean you would get about 15mins of battery life and make the processor start hitting 120º right against the side of your head.

Not that it makes a huge difference but I'm pretty sure the headset itself just connects to your phone via bluetooth or whatever and the phone does all the heavy lifting.

It probably does chew battery to the point of uselessness in both devices but that doesn't make me like the idea of some glasshole potentially recording everything any more than I like the idea of some rear end in a top hat with a pinhole camera in their glasses or whatever.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 15, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Yeah, it just so happens that since we spent ten years there last time, that we just ran right up into being due to invade again.

Now hold on we have at least a couple weeks to ponder a 3 state solution again don't we? Or has ISIS wrecked the Kurds' poo poo? Hardly any news about them in Iraq these days, but they're doing pretty good in Syria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bremen posted:

Well, actually it was whether immigrants who came over as children (and were therefor not legally culpable) should be able to stay. Anyone born here is a citizen, it's in the constitution.

They're not so keep on that either, though.

• Locked thread