Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

"Why contain it? ........it's cool...."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

One thing that really bugged me about DE:HR was the last level committing that ancient gaming sin that I thought was largely abandoned by the end of the 90's: making the last level/boss-fight completely different to the rest of the game.

If I spend a game patiently hoarding powerful items, honing powerful skills and so on, then the last level should be an intense test of all of these abilities that wraps up the game in a rewarding and tidy manner. The original DE did this pretty well as you had to basically do the things you had already been doing for the entire game, like hacking and sneaking and shooting and lock-picking and even swimming!

In HR all of your sneaking, all of your weapon and melee and anti-detection abilities become meaningless because it's essentially a zombie level and then the game ends. So loving dumb.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If by robotic you mean there were no quirky, instantly likeable, endearingly silly, glowing characters and everyone was a shade-of-grey in a deliberately morally ambiguous setting,

then yes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

JC has the nest voiceacting ever and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

A BOMB.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm willing to bet the giant triangular walls were put in place as a substitute for dense trees because of technical limitations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Because of this thread I have started playing DE:HR again. What I want to know is: which of the three push-button endings is the 'correct' one in terms of producing the outcome that leads to the original game. Logically, being a prequel, there can only be one 'right' choice in a canonical sense.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

muike posted:

Any of them, none of them are related in any way to the original game.

How aren't they? In the original game, augs are seemingly few and far between. Walking down the street in HR lets you see dozens of people with augmentations. Clearly something happened inbetween that reduced the aug population significantly.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gently caress me I had no idea Paul could survive, I thought his death was guaranteed regardless of what you did and I've played through the game half a dozen times. How does it affect the plot?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

U...UNATCO??

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

I mean, it's not a particularly good argument, but it's at least more convincing than "blow up the net because I say so".

Nah trust me bro I've done this a dozen times!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Garrand posted:

Am I the only person that consistently used the prod? I never had issues with ammo, and it was always easier to have them stunned and pull out the baton (or just hit them twice with the prod) instead of hoping I got the sweet spot on the first hit and having them alert other people.

I remember accidentally backing into the train car or something while attempting to rescue the hostages, and being upset that Paul was so mad at me. I just made a mistake, I'm only human sorta :cry:

ed: Huh, there appears to be a thing where putting an emote immediately after [sub] keeps it from displaying as normal in the actual thread, but it works in preview?

Every non-experimental run I did I used the prod and only the prod for melee. The other weapons all seem so hopeless, and you never have ammo issues if you're careful.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think DE is the best example (one of very few) of video games as art. It's a sustained and multifaceted artistic statement that could not otherwise be represented as non-interactive media without losing it's core and intent. Deus Ex just wouldn't make any sense as anything other than a video game.

It's also kind of a shame that with the advent of achievements, gamer points and all that bullshit, any 'choice' you make in a modern game is essentially just a tactical decision for a gold star. DE managed to perfectly blend actual 'moral' decision making with no measurable gameplay consequences, and choices that resulted in entirely self-contained rewards/punishments that don't rely on any sort of external framework to have value.

And, like all art, it has to be understood in the context of the culture and prevailing thinking of the time. There are better 'games' (one could argue that as a pure game, judged on gameplay, it's really pretty poo poo) but I can't think of any other interactive media that approaches DE for sheer brilliance.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You want the video game equivalent to the cabin in the woods.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It isn't just their own children. Not vaccinating your own kids affects herd immunity so your neighbour's kids can get sick even if they've been vaccinated. Hooray for assholes!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Currently in my country there is a groundswell movement of colossal morons with too much time on their hands who want to ban water fluoridation for *reasons*. They are directly analogous to the vaccines=autism people and tack on a string of nebulous 'health issues' that arise from water fluoridation. One area has already had the council bend over and take it out of the water supply and they are now targeting the big cities. The media continue to present it as 'the fluoride debate' which gives it enough legitimacy that these people can gain footholds politically.

It is loving retarded and makes me angry.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Five posted:

Are you Canadian? And by chance do you live in the Kitchener/Waterloo area?

Nah I live in New Zealand. It's basically a giant retirement home and no one has any real problems so they make things up to keep the government occupied.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Can't fire extinguishers block lasers?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Imagine what HR would've been like if the percentage of clutter you could actually pick up and inventory were the same as the original DX.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

unfair posted:

They talked in the Director's Cut about how it was supposed to be a modern art installation.

I somehow played through the game twice and never noticed it until I listened to the commentary. Indeed, I barely noticed any of the 'artsy' rooms and areas in HR for some reason. When I think of it in my mind I just picture the two cities, and various blocky corridors etc. The commentary really opened my eyes to all the cool architectural stuff they did which I never notice for some reason.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My addiction is augmented.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This thread convinced me I should do an absolute rear end in a top hat run of HR, something I had never done before. Turns out if you kill literally everyone in the police station, then escape through the sewers and wait for the alarm to die down, everything goes back to normal and the cops behave normally. Then you can kill a few cops in the street, hide until the alarm dies down and repeat until there are no living people in Detroit.

I was a little disappointed that no one ever mentions the DPD station massacre later, though. Lazy game design!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Seriously? None of you guys think that loving invisibility would be useful IRL?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Oh we're talking about non nefarious purposes...

Cause I'd just rob banks and steal poo poo erryday if I had invisibility. I guess that means I'm a terrible person if noone's watching?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pierzak posted:

Another reason why I never took drugs is that I don't believe in any kind of lessened responsibility when drunk/high/whatever. Drugs make people do stupid poo poo they have to deal with afterwards, whether it's making a fool of oneself or doing horrible things to get the next fix. Agreeing to use them would probably break me when it'd come to judging myself for the consequences. And if we're talking about prescription meds for depression or other disorders, I say it's a case of trying to fix an already broken machine, so it's a lesser evil (I "took my courage", but it was still a horrible experience, I said I'm not taking this poo poo and I'll either fix myself or die. Not gonna blame those who take the pharmaceutical crutch).

Christ you're making it sound like smoking pot once in a while makes you a dope fiend from The Wire. If you drink/take (safe) drugs in a responsible way, you never end up doing poo poo you regret. It isn't a binary choice between NEVER DRINKING EVER NOPE and I AM A RAGING ALCOHOLIC WHO BEATS HIS WIFE/CHILD/CAT. There is a middle ground.

Drugs don't make people do stupid poo poo. People do stupid poo poo. If you get into it with the intention of getting mindlessly hosed up and then do something stupid, you're 100% at fault because you're an adult and the responsibility lies with you to not let it get to that stage in the first place.

Most people have no idea how to moderate their consumption of anything, drugs/alcohol or otherwise.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FeyerbrandX posted:

Don Quixote is quite episodic, and filled with side-stories and random poems/sonnets and whatever crazy stuff Cervantes came up with. I'd love to find the literary critic that would have the balls to call one of the first novels not a novel.

Greatest literary work of all time? Yeah sure, if you're into anthologies :rolleyes:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

"Why contain it?
's cool..."

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Aaaah, youtube comments :allears:

quote:

I loved this when it first came out and still do. These public school teachers think they are so special and intelligent. Do some analysis - most come from the bottom 20% of college performers... 'Don't know what to do in life? Just become a teacher' It's an easy job, and they don't deserve pensions. Don't like it, get a new job like the rest of the world!
I put my son in private school because I was disgusted with the lack of professionalism at the local public school, and lack of progress he was making. The teachers all dress like losers as well. I can barely afford private school, but my son (now 16) is easily a year+ ahead of his friends who stayed where they were. No comparison, and the techies have no union, dress like professionals, get annual performance reviews like all of us in the real world, and never complain!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Penakoto posted:

Man, Hong Kong, lots to explore and find, spectacular music, hilariously bad voice acting, it's just so good an area, best part of the game.

It was at this point in my first playthrough that I really started to appreciate the game, just how big and interesting it was, I really can't say enough goods things about Hong Kong.

Yes. All these things.

• Locked thread