Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

beanieson posted:

Started a rewatch a few days ago & I'm up to Ice. I hadn't seen Carpenter's The Thing until recently, a year or so ago & never realized till now how much of an homage this episode was.

This post was made a while back, but one thing I found cute/interesting is that the establishing shots of the facility they're holed up in are literally shots of Outpost 31 from the film. Not sure how they got their hands on it, but I thought it was a cool nod.

Also y'all is jerks for making me want to plod through S8 again.

re: s9, I remember being really impressed with how they handled Spender's return, and feeling seriously awful for the guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Exploder posted:

That is pretty cool, I didn't know that. I'll have to watch that episode again and look for that. The only thing I ever noticed in those exterior shots is the generic "wind whistling" sound effect that was used in almost every TV show and movie in the 80's and 90's. I think it's still used today.

On Spender, I don't think anybody can help but feel sorry for the guy at the end of the series. Sure, he was kind of a dick when we were first introduced to him, but he had a really rough go of things.

Screenshots:

X-Files -

The Thing -

It's mostly filters and effects they used to make it look dark. I could take more screenshots, but I think these are pretty telling. It's understandable they'd want the footage. Going out to the arctic on their own to get shots of a random outpost would be a huge pain (as seen by the trials The Thing cast and crew went through to get to Stewart, BC/Hyder, AK). Also, the homage is always appreciated. The Thing doesn't get nearly enough credit.

re: Spender, on rewatching the series, I just cringe every time he shows up, even if he is being a dick. Like, seriously. EDIT: Interestingly (or not) around S7 or so, I'd been unable to watch it due to lack of VCR and work hours that conflicted with seeing it when it was still airing. When I did catch a part of it, I thought it'd been cancelled because no one I recognized was in the episode at all. I thought Psi Factor got a bigger budget until Scully finally showed up. By then, I wasn't as grabbed by it anymore, so it was years after I'd shrugged off the series that I actually saw (after getting all the DVD sets :lol:) the S9 episode that made it all click, and when it did, holy poo poo. I remember being no-poo poo hit harder by Spender's last hurrah than anything else in the entire series. Dude was a fucker, but goddamn.

EDIT 2: In Ice, it's amusing as hell to me that Bear is basically MacReady, and happens to be the first victim. See also: hello dogge.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jun 5, 2014

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

alpha_destroy posted:

:words: Scully as victim

I realize I am wrong.

You're not. EDIT 2: Not entirely.

I’m reading reviews of X-Files episodes because I’m watching it again, and out of sheer curiosity, since I'd only seen it once, I went to Orison a bit prematurely.

Apparently Scully was, by several reviewers' standards, out of line for murdering a fetishist serial killer who focused on her as a target, and made it really drat clear that he wanted to turn her hair and nails into a source of sexual satisfaction. This'll be the second time he's done this to her.

The episode was poo poo to begin with for bringing him back and giving him a supernatural element that wasn't based on her fevered imaginings (the morphing effect in Irresistable). Given how poo poo-awful his reintroduction was into her life, besides, like, holy poo poo. Of course she’s going to murder him. The shitlords saying it's 'out of line' for her character honestly just blow me away. It's one of the few times she does exactly what you'd think she would without being 'saved,' and even then, Mulder's got him in custody.

I mean, my god, she should’ve killed him in the initial episode, gently caress’s sake.

And the ending conversation is what makes it even more terrible.

VV EDIT 3: You raise a good point VV

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 9, 2014

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
All my bitching aside (Orison and its reviews seriously pissed me off), I've been going through M*A*S*H episodes again, and I realized--

Margaret Houlihan and her brief not-so-love-affair with Sergeant-turned-Private Scully.

Given all the other random nods, and homages in the show, I'd be surprised if that's not one of them.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Exploder posted:

Agreed. Although there are numerous examples of white knight Mulder rescuing the damsel in distress Scully, quite often, it is the other way around. I think I've made this point in the thread before, but a strong female lead was a rarity in television until the X-Files, and I think that Scully paved the way for a long line of strong female characters in television in the past two decades.

Yeah, I have to remind myself when it was made sometimes.

In other news, I finally watched the entirety of season 9, which I previously hadn't. I can't really pin down why, but I stopped hating on Reyes after the first few episodes. Hellbound and 4D gave a good sense of what her (and Doggett's) characters could have been if the plotline wasn't so baby baby baby Scully's baby oh my god WHAT'S HAPPENING TO THE BABY baby baby. I never really found her initial attitude jarring, either, because it was interesting seeing the rug get pulled out from under her, to a point where you could see that 'sunshine-and-kittens, just go with the vibe, man' attitude starting to flatline. I figure if the show had gone for another season, she'd have probably fit the tone a lot more, and added something the other characters couldn't.

That said, I found myself kind of wishing that there'd be a Colonization mini-series or something, especially now that it's post-2012, just so we could get a look into how that plays out, since it's argued to be an inevitability (or at least a partial inevitability). The tone would be different enough to not be a re-hash, besides, which I think would be necessary if X-Files were to resurface anytime soon.

EDIT:

Oh, hey, well then...

http://www.empireonline.com/interviews/interview.asp?IID=1777 posted:

I have an idea for it in my head. The colonisation date has passed and that is something we wouldn't ignore in that story. When they came to us and asked us to do the second movie, they told us the budget limitations and we knew we wouldn't be able to do another mythology story. So we did something much smaller and more intimate - I call it a standalone movie. But if we were going to go forward, I would go back to something that would really connect more to the mythology and to the first movie.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 18, 2014

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Cristatus posted:

The Ghosts Who Stole Christmas is my favorite light-hearted ep that never seems to get any love. It's funny and a little creepy, plus there's some good commentary on the Mulder-Scully dynamic.

Ed Asner and Lily Tomlin together in a single episode made this one of my absolute favorites. I grew up with the Mary Tyler Moore show on Nick at Nite, and Tomlin is fantastic in everything she's been in, so the notion of those two getting married and becoming crotchety ghosts cracked me up way more than it ever should have.

Also, yeah, Mulder-Scully dynamic, but I think this was the first episode I watched solely for the guest stars.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

bobkatt013 posted:

I decided to rewatch the series, and I always wondered why they never mentioned ice again. It seemed like the monster in that is like the black oil, but they never mention a connection. So far season one has had some great episodes and some godawful ones. Its also amazing how much chemistry Mulder and Scully had, and is a bright spot in some terrible ones.

The parasite in Ice only makes you violent. The main thing I would've expected them to bring up again in relation to it is the fact that a) the parasites that have that kind of destructive quality are clearly not meant for the host they're inhabiting (re: the parasite, though able to reproduce (somehow) brings on the death of both it and its host, which is a dead end), which means that b) they were meant to infect something not-terrestrial, and that it specializes in something extraterrestrial, or - of you're listening to anyone other than Mulder - something long-extinct.

The black oil, by contrast, is perfectly engineered to infect humans, does not reproduce (it jumps from person to person instead, and is only a parasite in the sense that it's hitching rides and changing higher-level cognitive behaviours. It can survive on its own, and doesn't depend on the host for (whatever), other than having a walky-talky skin car to test-drive for a little while. Granted, the Ice worms didn't seem to depend entirely on a host, either, but since they seemed to have been working off of theories regarding toxoplasma gondii, I'd imagine that, if the idea was thoroughly explored, the worms were only reproducing asexually, and were missing a crucial second host (or definitive host, if you want to be technical) that enabled sexual reproduction, and for the life cycle to start over again.

EDIT: That said, the black oil does become more of a legit biological parasite during the movie, in that it uses a host's body to allow its "progeny" to gestate. But it's not a failed parasite like the Ice worm was (encounter/compatibility filters are too remote).

The similarities are there, but not enough to make it a talking point, and I'd imagine that spending that kind of time debating the differences between it and a legit parasite would've made a lot of peoples' eyes glaze over.

I'll, uh... :spergin: see myself out now.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 11, 2014

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

bobkatt013 posted:

I was thinking just a line about how they both come from ice and they have seen something similar.

Oh. Well. That works, too.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

haveblue posted:

Yes, there are only a small handful of MOTW repeats or sequels.

The two that come to mind aren't nearly as good as Tooms, though, unfortunately. But there is one callback to a great S2 monster in one of the best MOTW episodes of S3.

In other news: I've been loving around with the X-Files: Resist or Serve game. It's hilarious, at points (zombie game!!! also there's a dude who looks like a wizard in there somewhere that made me laugh too hard to fight him properly), and plays like an RE title (fixed camera angles) but it's voice acted by the original cast, and the plot is basically a lost episode. Don't know if anyone else on the thread has played it, but it's worth checking out. If you're allergic to tedious combat, it comes with handy-dandy cheats to make your life easier.

Doesn't help with puzzles, but it makes the typical-survival-horror shooty-kill portion pretty much irrelevant.

Also: the models are loving hilarious in more than a few places.

Anyway, I'd recommend it for anyone who's got some free time and is still really into the show. The story's written by the show's actual writers, the plot's definitely X-Files, and there's replay value in being able to switch from Mulder or Scully's POV. Doesn't hold up to the best of the best in the series, but it's a game that was released with a $20 price tag at launch, so no one was really expecting it to poo poo gold.

Random note: The X-Files Files podcast should really be added to the OP.

EDIT: Expect a few really ridiculous moments and even more ridiculous terms. COSMIC GALACTIC RADIATION! But, like later-season stuff, when it's good, it's good, and when it's bad, it's... Well. Bad.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Dec 29, 2014

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Octy posted:

Um, he might be referring to the opening of 'Pusher' where we see the Flukeman pictured in a newspaper.

Yes.

The other callback MOTW eps are pretty much straight-up garbage (Orison, Kitsunegari - though Kitsunegari gets some props for the blue paint scene. Orison is just loving terrible.)

Exploder posted:

I can't imagine that Resist or Serve held up very well over 10 years. I remember the graphics being laughable, even by 2004 standards. It's not a terrible game by all measures, but most of its value lies in its fan service. IIRC, all of the original cast voice their characters, and the story was actually pretty good for a licensed video game, ripe with meaningful references and easter eggs. If I get bored one of these days, perhaps I'll fire up the PS2 and check it out again. I think I still have a copy of the original point-and-click game for PC too, but I'm not as inclined to boot that one back up for obvious reasons.

You're right about the graphics. Considering it's got SH2 to compete with - strictly on the survival horror side of things - it's weak as hell, but I figure that most of the budget went into paying the voice actors. The story is fun, a little ridiculous in a lot of places, but, all in all, I enjoyed it as a 'buy it for two bux' used game.

EDIT: and I'll admit that I was more than a little amused by seeing all the male VAs put on lipstick for their readings.

quote:

I still have yet to check out the podcast, as I have been very busy lately, but I'll add it to the OP. I've really wanted to listen to it, but I just haven't had the chance yet.

I've been putting it on my MP3 player and listening to it in the car/at work. It's really fun. Also worth putting in there for anyone who hasn't seen the show, but happens to be curious about it.

Jack Gladney posted:

I've been sad since I found out that Devin Faraci is apparently an rear end in a top hat in the CineD Who Greenlighted thread, as I've found his contributions to the X-Files Files incredible.

The rear end in a top hat in the what and the huh?

Only thing I know about him is that he pissed off a bunch of screeching gamergate shitlords. :allears:

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 30, 2014

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Jack Gladney posted:

Why didn't that guy ever write for television again? That show was a nursery for this generation's best tv professionals, and the guy just drifts out of the business after putting them all to shame like it was nothing.

He wrote two episodes for Millennium, one of which was Jose Chung writing another book.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
People poo poo on the mytharc, but it'd honestly feel like bullshit if the 2012 date wasn't addressed. And this is speaking as someone who generally preferred MOTW eps over the mythology ones during the run of the series. I want that part of the story tied up, and it'd be preferable if Doggett and Reyes both showed up with more meat to work with so their arcs don't feel completely hollow.

I realize I'm probably more alone in that opinion, but, welp.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Exploder posted:

At this point, I too am totally fine with an unabashed retcon of the finale. Hell, they can retcon the last two or three seasons of the mytharc while they're at it. Like I said earlier, they can use comic book logic and say it's "a different universe". Either way, it would be more conducive to writing a better story than considering it all canon and trying to explain CSM's death/re-birth.

It's simple: just frame CSM's death as a visual retelling of his lovely sci-fi novellas/short stories that keep getting kicked back to him.

And I am still, apparently, one of the very few people on earth who actually liked Reyes. :downs:

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Basket of Kittens posted:

The Orison episode didn't need to happen imo. An episode purely around a prison preacher who can slow time and has an army of hypnotized goons would be an awesome episode on its own. They didn't need to bring back the necrophiliac killer just to kill him off. Seems like with this and Kitsunegari they were eager to bring back an old killer for a brief escape/death sequence that doesn't live up the the first part.

~ Just my opinion ~

Orison was 100% loving terrible for a variety of reasons. Bringing Pfaster back could have been really interesting - even weirdly humanized, like the last few beats of Irresistible where he looks honestly terrified, even if he is human garbage - but instead they just rehash the aforementioned origin episode in a really unpalatable way. I said it in the thread before, but it's worth restating: I was not at all fond of them putting Scully in that position again, even if she "won," and I'm not a fan of them using one of the most effective baddies to put her back in that position. And in a much more hostile way, too.

Also there's that 'oh my god literally a demon!' thing which, yeah, no, knock it off.

Pfaster was genuinely goddamn creepy in the initial episode, and it was/is a loving fantastic episode. If you like Irresistible at all, never, ever watch Orison. Ever.

gently caress blacking out spoilers on that one, seriously. He's written as literally a demon. It's a bad episode.

EDIT: Honestly, for as much hate as S9 gets, and a lot of it is well-deserved since they were flailing around looking for poo poo to do, all the while constantly referencing Mulder and Scully things when only Scully was around, 7th season sticks out in my head as the absolute worst season of X-Files, and it's pretty much where I stopped watching when it was still on the air. There were some real goodies in there - X-Cops, Hollywood A.D, Je Souhaite, En Ami (to some extent) and, only for gross factor, Brand X - but, for the most part, it was loving terrible. Like way, way worse than S9 ever got, but that's also imho, so take that as you will.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 24, 2015

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm whatever on Reyes, but hopefully this means Robert Patrick is back too.

He's stated outright that he has no intention of reprising the role, sadly.

E: would source links but am phone posting. It's p. easy to look up, though.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
As much as I can understand the frustration with Christ Child William coming back into the picture, it'd be weird if they dropped that plotline entirely. On that note, I'm not convinced they dropped the entire series canon, either, tbh. It showed up so early in the season that it pretty much has to be a bait and switch. It's also not Season 5 2.0 where it's Mulder being emo-pants insufferable in pretty much every way imaginable, so there's that. The whole thing with the 'flashbacks to what could be and what never was' with William felt a little weird, and Mulder's seemed a little more on-point with the imagery calling back to Samantha's abduction, but I'm not really sure where Scully's got drawn from. If those two bits had been left out entirely, it'd probably be fine, but I'm guessing that'll unravel a little more with each new episode.

First episode was definitely rushed, but it felt good just to watch the show and know that, yes, this is a thing that is airing.

I think one of the major hangups in the first episode is that, since it did come off as super rushed, the opportunity for the cast and crew to settle back into something that had felt like second nature a decade and a half ago just wasn't there. I can imagine that it'd be pretty intimidating for everyone involved to jump back in, much less trying to figure out where all the characters are at emotionally when Carter's jamming a bunch of his usual rhetoric into every single line.

Second episode was p. loving great, though. Given the expectations riding on their shoulders, there's plenty to complain about, but I really enjoyed it. Even though I've watched two episodes so far, it's still throwing me for a loop that I'm watching it at all.

:feelsgood:

Vintersorg posted:

I loving love this show - they can do this until they are decrepit and just die/get abducted on tv.

also this

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

piratepilates posted:

Scully's comes from her doing surgery/medical poo poo on kids with genetic deformities in the same way in revived season episode 1, along with her own abduction and medical fears, yadda yadda.

Yeah, thinking on it, that was a dumb thing to put out there, considering the entirety of season 8, and, well, what you said.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
^^ what this guy said.

edit: it is really annoying that the Alex Jones brigade is given credence but Muslims are still 24 - style fodder.

Chairman Capone posted:

No wonder Robert Patrick turned down an appearance, if Doggett was going to have been with Reyes.

Robert Patrick was the one who kept insisting on there being some kind of romance with Reyes, if I remember correctly.

Honestly, I thought what they did with her was the most genuinely X-Files bit of the whole episode. I'm hoping they bring her back. Then again, I never flat out hated her with a frothing vengeance to begin with, so take that as you will.

edit 2: actually, it really can't be said enough how irritating it is to have the Islamiphobe angle played when the lovely conspiracy theorists get a fair shake. True, they 'debunked' that anti-vaxxer poo poo partway through the episode, but this is two episodes in a row where I actually felt myself gritting my teeth. And in the last one they never bothered to do anything interesting with the 'suicide bomber' thing which, in spite of how tonedeaf the X-Files could be in the old days, seems like something they at least would have tried.

I'm with everyone else, re: don't let Carter write more episodes. He's turning it into some bizarro infowars paradise, and he's not even being that coherent about it. Ugh, ffuucckdljkas

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 23, 2016

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

oh for gently caress's sake

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Mange Mite posted:

Honestly I can't believe they didn't make that guy evil or at the very least a dupe. Or at the very lest someone with their own agenda. Like, who gets helicopter rich off of youtube videos?

Alex Jones.

Maybe not helicopter rich, but pretty drat close.

Even more reason for the guy to be as much a shitheel as the conspirators.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

remusclaw posted:

One of the things I really did not like about season 10, even apart from the obvious quality issues, was the decision to make the Alex Jones surrogate be anything other than a grifter and a fraud.

I cannot possibly stress this enough. Between this and the tone deaf execution of Babylon (and the anti-vaxxer poo poo that took too long to be shouted down in whichever episode I'm failing to recall), there are some really unfortunate themes sneakingbludgeoning their way into the series that left a really bad taste in my mouth.

edited for words

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

business hammocks posted:

The mushroom trip was great because while he's happily jamming along and waving with a big grin on his face, the audio provides context clues that he's walking in the middle of the street, but you never see anything from an objective point of view--so you're just left to imagine the chaos an idiotic, oblivious Mulder is causing.

Also even though the hallucination is funny and light, it really underscores how empty and sad Mulder's life is, totally stuck in the 90s and without any friends or enemies who haven't died at least 15 years earlier.

I'll agree with this in terms of the hallucination being completely self-contained.

That said: it's been pointed out that it was a seriously bizarre left turn in comparison to the rest of it.

It was mentioned back when the episodes were airing-- wasn't just by me, it was by a number of people, that a lot of folks were looking at the intro to Babylon like 'okay how are they gonna X-Files this,' since the show was at its finest when it came to subverting expectations. Given how the Tad McBullshit character was played straight in the season premiere, however, I'll admit I had a sinking feeling when it started out with a Muslim man praying. Sinking feeling did not lie: 'pulled the rug out from under you' was the last thing that turd of an episode did.

So. When I say 'tonedeaf,' I mean both in terms of its early-aughts 24-era treatment of Muslims in TYOOL 2016/7, but in managing to gleefully poo poo all over one of the things the series did really well, back in its heyday.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Although, fun fact, unless I'm mistaken, the X-Files predates the first claims of the chupacabras. Like that's one cryptid that rose to prominence during the show's run.

You are correct, at least insofar as it entering into the public consciousness. First mention was in May of 1995.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Oh, good, Scully's the damsel in distress again.

Also that ending was skeezy as sweet gently caress-all.

A million :wtf:s of ever-increasing size go here. Even the comments in this thread were not nearly enough preparation for those last few minutes. Even knowing that line was coming.

A million :wtf:s. One million.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Gonz posted:

C.) Walternate

D) Mr. Peterman

sticklefifer posted:

I mean, it's no First Person Shooter.

There were a lot of bad X-Files episodes, it's just that nearing 20 years later we now live in an age of Everything I Watch Is The Worst Thing I've Ever Seen™.

Sorry, friend, retroactively turning En Ami into even more of a "date??? rape" episode is not good television. It's edgelord nonsense.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Still disappointed in Reyes' heel turn being actually real.

Yeah, say what you will about the actress/character, the about-face makes all of zero sense.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Binary Logic posted:

Always fascinated by the (alien induced?) internet phenomenon in which "fans" of a show post online about how much they don't like the show they are fans of.

This is disingenuous as hell and, conversely, a good name/post combo.

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this, but people are allowed to be genuinely disappointed by the direction a narrative takes, even hardcore fans that have been with it for ages. It's like hardcore Lynch fans getting up the asses of the people who really liked Twin Peaks, but maybe not Lynch's films, and thus are not exactly thrilled with the revival, even if the reasoning for being disappointed in that case are quite a bit different, re: tonal whiplash. They expected Twin Peaks, a continuation of a story, and got David Lynch: Untethered, instead.

And, you know? That's a valid complaint. Same with people not really digging on Chris Carter: Untethered. The usual arguments for 'well, you just want the old thing you liked so much back, but that's worn out and tired, and you're afraid of change' don't really hold water when it's literally more of the same, just writ way larger, and in a more manic fashion. It was not uncommon for fans, sans condescending airquotes, to feel like the series was spinning its wheels, and no one is particularly anxious to see it happen again. Even if the series had some bullshit moments, the moments of progress were relieving/rewarding in their own way, but - as per usual - that progress typically got ripped up, and ultimately thrown away to give the series the shot in the arm it "needed" to keep going. That the premiere St. Elsewhere'd the season finale is endemic of this; of all the things that were generally aggravating about the overall mytharc, when the only way Carter seemed to know how to move forward with the narrative was to throw it all into reverse at mach speeds.

Goon hyperbole (which has been funny and cathartic to read, fwiw) or no, these are valid criticisms.

As with a beloved pet that intermittently shits on your rug while looking you dead in the eyes, you can like a thing - or even really like a thing - and still be frustrated/pissed off with it, hth.

edit: wording

edit 2: ghost post still throwing me off

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 6, 2018

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m still working my way through this season, but can someone other than Chris Carter explain to me why Skinner is suddenly no longer a Mulder ally again? Especially after being so firmly entrenched on their side in the last seasons of the original run.

Why the gently caress does Carter feel the need to constantly reset the relationships on this show?

CSM showed up to drop some hot takes on him, and he caved again because :shrug:

The more I think about it, the less sure I am about the 'why.'

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
That was good. That felt very classic X-Files.

I think my only problem with it is that it felt a little too truncated, like it didn't "want" to be a single episode. There were at least three really strong ideas/threads running through it, and they all ended just a little too abruptly. Like they didn't really know how to end it. It would've done much better as a two-parter, I think.

Still liked it, though - that weird-rear end back-to-back thing is gonna stick with me for a while, I'm sure - and I'll add to the consensus that the closer with Mulder and Scully was the right kind of sweet.

:sigh: not looking forward to Carter's parting shot in which he shits away all the good will built up over this season. This was worlds more enjoyable than the last, that wet fart of a premiere aside.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 17, 2018

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Chris James 2 posted:

Also it ends with said kid still being alive coming out of the river after falling in after being shot in the head. Also Scully's pregnant but Gillian's not coming back and I 100% don't blame her

wh...

:wtc:

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Milo and POTUS posted:

I never watched late episodes of original run TXF and especially don't remember mytharc poo poo. And all the My Struggle poo poo was pretty forgettable. Why was Reyes with Ciggie? She was my least favorite of the main leads cuz lets be honest she was no doggett but even so I liked her well enough in the motw stuff I saw her in. But what is/was the storyline reason that she was helping the series main badguy?

She gave some shpeil at the end of S10 about it, but I'll admit that I don't remember many specifics beyond "well, I mean, he's a good pitch man, and I like the idea of not being living impaired, so," and that it was otherwise flimsy as hell. ...And on a quick rewatch of her reintroduction, it seems like it's possible? maybe? that she was in it to get a handle on what the dude was planning, but that's if you're going with a generous interpretation that's more in line with her character. Left as it is, it mostly just comes off as looking to protect herself/her friends from the oncoming virus, when I always figured she was more altruistic than that.

It's suggested he showed her a mountain of proof to lock her into a deal, but IDK. That scene never made a hell of a lot of sense to me to begin with, Reyes switching sides was basically just another gimmicky "twist" thrown in for flavor, but there wasn't much substance to it.

EDIT: Also, I mean-- that episode got largely St. Elsewhere'd anyway, so who the hell knows how much of that conversation actually-for-real took place, and how much of it was just kind of. there.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 17, 2018

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

BrandonGK posted:

I have a feeling Carter just decided that he needed a supporting character to return as a baddy, and just drew Reyes' name out of a hat.

Might be part of the reason Robert Patrick said a full-throated "gently caress no" to reprising Doggett. The other part being 'I'm super busy,' apparently.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

Im about halfway through season six maybe my third attempt at a rewatch. Im going to make it this time.

Any really great episodes left in seasons 7,8,9?

Burt Reynolds' ep (that I am forgetting the name of-- Improbable? w/e, phone posting) in S9 is better than it has any right to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Phi230 posted:

I just started watching and got to FLUKEMAN and I wish every monster wasn't a radioactive mutant

A giant worm would've been cooler than that goofy thing

How dare you sir.

sticklefifer posted:

By all indications he really wanted to do it, but he's a main cast member on Scorpion which shoots 24 episodes per season.

Huh. For some reason I recall reading somewhere that he gently caress no'd his way out of it.

Well, that sucks.

• Locked thread