Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

SlaveTrader posted:

I was under the impression that the any of the Grey's could shapeshift( See: The Unnatural ). The whole covering over the eyes and mouth didn't make a drat bit of sense either since we saw the black oil crawl through skin.

I assume that they would have plugged the pores in their skin as well. Ick.

I tend to think that the X-Files mythology makes sense in broader strokes, and there are quite a few mythology episodes I really enjoy, but you tend to have to isolate them from other episodes to work. I really love The Red And The Black, but Mulder's material in that episode doesn't remotely jibe with how he's been for the rest of the season. He's given up on the X-files? Bullshit, he was totally into vampires three weeks ago!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Febreeze posted:

Are there any episodes in 8-9 that are still worth watching?

You might be deathly inured against them already, but some of the Season 8 myth arc episodes are fantastic. Particularly This Is Not Happening, though that comes within a really serialised arc on the show.

I also really like the Agent Leyla Harrison episodes, Alone from Season 8 and Scary Monsters from Season 9. She's based on a fan who died from cancer, and the character is really sweet and funny. Roadrunners is pretty good too, and a real throwback to earlier years of the show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I really like season 8. The myth-arc stuff is pretty fun in the back half of that season. Weakest season for me would either be seven or nine. Seven has some really hatable episodes, like Fight Club and First Person Shooter, but season nine is just so loving low energy. The show was running on fumes.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Copper Vein posted:

So that episode where Mulder's creeper writer neighbor kinda sorta seduces Scully has to have been one of the show writer's self-insert wish-fulfillment fan-fic, right?

Milagro. Written by Chris Carter, about Chris Carter, for Chris Carter.

Though, against my better judgement, I actually quite like it. John Hawkes is very good in it, it's a Scully episode, and it's got a whole bunch of cool directorial touches (probably there from the beginning in Carter's scripts, his are always very director-y).

But if the show was making really self-indulgent episodes about how difficult it is to be an X-Files writer, as much as I empathise, that's generally the point where you want to go away and write something else.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Alpenglow posted:

This might just be a fact of current short-attention-span TV, but did it seem like every cut was just a few frames too short? Like someone was behind the editors figuring out every way to cram too much exposition into enough time to squeeze in 2 more Ford commercials?

It didn't feel like natural talking at all, or even like the actors were all present at the same time for a lot of several scenes.

There was definitely some sped up footage of Scully talking, when she's on the phone. It was pretty distracting, even if it was only a few frames faster than the rest of the material.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Loomer posted:

Since there was some Millennium talk, season 2 is one of the single best shows I've ever seen.

Season 3 is hot garbage, though, and season 1 was a bit repetitive by the end but would be perfectly at home alongside say, True Detective, if they did a HD remaster

For all that Season 3 of Millennium is a total mess, (my god, the KISS episode? That's also a "parody" of the Scream films? What were they thinking???) the Tracy Middendorf episode, Dawrin's Eye, is actually pretty drat good. The Season 3 Christmas episode, The Sound Of Snow, is also really good, and would have fit in completely with Season 2.

So, like, if you include the Lucy Butler episode, and the one where they go to Emma's hometown (AKA, the only good Emma episode), that's just about 15% of the season that's worth watching.

So if anything, Chris Carter's improved with this season of the X-Files.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

bull3964 posted:

The question you have to ask about Babylon is, "Was it critical to the story that they were Islamic terrorists?"

I think so, actually, yeah. At least non-english speaking terrorists.

No, seriously, hear me out, though this is a little pretentious:

The episode's called Babylon, right? So, it's meant to be a reflection on the Tower of Bable story from the Bible. Man created a space where everyone was equal, God knocked down their big tower and punished mankind with languages and division. (Or whatever, I'm not super familiar with the story.)

So, Carter is clumsily using that allusion to talk about 9/11, and the two towers that fell that day -- extreme violence that generated racism and violence in return. His argument is that people became reactionary, and incapable of actually communicating with each other. Hence the nurse character in the episode, among others, who's completely hardened to the idea of empathy for her patient and tries to murder him.

The only solution is to be found in re-establishing our subconscious connections -- through drug use, through the collective unconscious, through dreams and through music. That's why there are so many songs in the episode, I guess. And that's the solution to the episode's problem, as well. Mulder has to find a way to communicate with the boy, on a primal, pre-speech level, in order to convince him to stop a second bombing. Really ~listening~ and ~loving~ can beat racism and extremism.

Yes, it's complete woo~woo~ but Carter's always been on that wavelength. It's honestly kind of sweet in a way, if also poorly communicated and badly thought out. BrainDead is probably a better execution of similar themes.

And yes, I also think the episode is kinda racist. But I also think a lot of people missed the points Carter was trying to make (because, as I said, it didn't do a great job making them).

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 19, 2016

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

They need to get some of their successful writers and directors back, plus commission scripts from current writers when watched the show as kids/stoner teens. Get Seth Green back as the stoner teen.

Now Castle's done, Rob Bowman's free. ~*

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'd love to see Tim Minear come back and have another crack at an episode. Ben Edlund could be fun. Michael Taylor, if he's not too busy with Into The Badlands. Jane Espenson's always a fun writer. Paul Grellong was the mastermind behind Revolution's comeback season, he might have something cool up his sleeve. John Enbom and Diane Ruggerio are hilarious.

That said, I'm surprised by how many jobbing writers I can't name. It's very much the era of the showrunner these days, and not of the episode author.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 29, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

There are only two seasons of Millennium and an episode of X-files with an alternate version of Frank Black.

Awh, there are a lot of lovely episodes in Season 3 (KISS! and the one that killed CCH Pounder) but the back half has a handful of pretty great episodes. The Sound of Snow is really good, and Nostalgia and Darwin's Eye are both up there. Saturn Dreaming Of Mercury is completely batshit, in a deeply entertaining way. I'd say those four are up there with the best the show produced, and are certainly better than 90% of what aired in the first season.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gobbeldygook posted:

Trailer for new season from NY Comicon. Lots of glimpses of metaplot episodes.

https://youtu.be/IRdrt8nPyy8

AAAH! AAAH! THEY BROUGHT KARIN KONOVAL BACK!

I'm probably literally the only person who cares, but she's a scary as gently caress awesome Canadian actress, who's probably most famous for being the mother in Home. She's really good, and she's got a strong ongoing working relationship with Morgan/Wong, so she'll probably be turning up in one of their episodes.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 9, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gobbeldygook posted:

No. Gillian Anderson loves slow, meandering episodes. The one episode they let her direct is a total slog.

She also wrote it.

It's really really bad.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Which season were they foreshadowing a new Syndicate led by Alex Krycek and Marita Covarrubius and (other than pushing CSM down some stairs in his wheelchair) it never really went anywhere? Was that seven or eight?

Seven.

Not necessarily any writer's fault there -- plot lines being introduced and then suddenly dropped is classic Network interference, and certainly well within Fox's wheelhouse during that period. Particularly for scifi. Trying to "fix" a show by dropping all inconvenient plotlines and pushing for a "newer, fresher" approach? Classic.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

A Fancy Hat posted:

I finished season 7 in my rewatch and just started season 10. We finished "Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster" last night.

Oh, wait, did you skip 8 and 9?

Despite their reputations, there are at least a dozen episodes between them that are worth watching.

(It's the three Vince Gilligan ones, Via Negativia, the Burt Reynolds one, and most of the back half of season 8 starting with This Is Not Happening, for anyone keeping score at home.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

business hammocks posted:

The credits call the one waitress in this episode “attractive waitress.” What’s going on there?

She's a principal part, and they're typically given one or two word descriptors that relate to their role on the show, like "Creepy Man" or "Eager Customer".

She's in the cafe scene with the lawyer guy. He hits on her, and she rejects him. (It's just before he sees his double through the window.)

There's nothing inherently creepy about it, if that's what you're suggesting, unless you're gesturing at sexism in general.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Not counting Blood?

(I guess, technically it's just a script credit rather than a full blown writing credit.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Junkenstein posted:

So Morgan is rightly lauded for writing some of the best episodes of anything ever, but apart from the X Files, he hasn't really done much, even in this age of endless great TV. What's up with that?

I've got a bunch of theories, but as far as I know nothing's come out about him.

He was a producer on the first half of Fringe's first season, never submitted a script, and then vanished from the show. He penned a pair of scripts for a kid's show (Tower Prep) that aren't his usual fair -- they're actually kind of mediocre. And he worked on Intruders with his brother, his sister-in-law and his brother's long term writing partner, but in a largely collaborative fashion that meant his individual contributions were subsumed into the whole.

(Like most, if not all, Morgan/Wong collaborations, Intruders is totally worth watching. It's got James Frain and Millie Bob Brown, and veers between being uncomfortably weird and weirdly hilarious. Something of a minor gem.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Zartosht posted:

No need for prayers, Millennium fuckin owns.

Especially that season. Season 2 of Millennium is one of the all time great cult tv seasons.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

Otherwise it felt like a solid Season 2-4 MOTW, which the exception of child murder - I'm pretty sure they've never done that before.

Paper Hearts, Oubliette, Die Hand Der Whatsit, the Closure two-parter all spring to mind, but I don't remember the specifics behind any of them.

I do think they got all their child murder out on Millennium though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That was a pretty good episode of Millennium.

(The Glen Morgan is strong with this season generally, I felt. But this episode, particularly the ironic song choice and the cult, felt the Morganiest.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Improbable is good, yeah, and the Vince Gilligan episodes in Seasons 8 and 9 are good too. (Roadrunners, Sunshine Days and the proto-Breaking Bad one whose name I can never remember).

I've a big thing for This Is Not Happening as well, but it's a myth arc episode so I can see why people wouldn't be a fan.

• Locked thread