Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
The more I read the stretch goals the more I think that the game will be empty of my favorite things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Kinda ok with a vanguard 2.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Allow for gay marriage but no interracial stuff. Gotta keep the blood pure.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Even today, playing vanguard, a lot of players who come into it leave due to not being social enough to find groups. There are a lot of other reasons why they leave still, but not communicating is one of them.

Not sure if a game where you require people to be social will work.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Rename the thread

Everquest Next 2

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Loving Life Partner posted:

As an old school tempered in poo poo Everquest player, everything about this excites me, one thing kinda throwing up a red flag for me from the Kickstarter pitch is this though:

One of my biggest beefs with the latest school of MMOs is exactly this in a nutshell.

I'm hoping non-linear just means that there'll be interesting diversions everywhere with the planar theme, but I still want a world where you sometimes have to put one foot in front of the other to go places.

The 3.5 weeks I played Guild Wars 2 was insufferable due to the way you just blink around the world and barely take any of it in, it's so laser focused it becomes meaningless.

Exploring the world itself and having BEEN places is my most cherished memory from EQ and it's world. Whether it was by design or happy coincidence, I've never felt as much satisfaction as I did from some of the treks I've taken in that game.

I got a feeling this is going to be more like riftways of vanguard. You can teleport pretty far, but there is always something you need to ride to and things you can't teleport to.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Or the boat going west to east instead of east to west.

Or the boat loading in and moving away before you loaded in. Swimming in the OOT was fun.

So you are going to more faction and epic quests then. Will grinding dungeons be more of the way to get experience? Or camps.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

That is a good rate compared to the going price in dallas.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Loving Life Partner posted:

Are there any plans to explore a more malleable world that players themselves can affect meaningful change onto? Even if all you can do is push small parts of the world from 0 to 1 and back in a binary or trinary configuration, it adds a great deal of lasting enjoyment.

This takes the form normally two ways. Instanced places where person A may have the town on fire and person B does not since he finished the quest. This makes it so people can't see each other until they exit the town like ESO. It is rather bad.

The other way is global events that well, take too much design and effort for the pay outs. GW2 is doing some of these and limit when they can be done, potentially locking away content that people could otherwise do. This is also not a good option.

There really isn't a good way to do this except for minor dynamic events like War or Rift and even those get boring.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Brad McQuaid is doing another mmo based on the things he made in the past.

So is lord British.

I kinda feel like this is the mid life crisis of mmo devs.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

That is a silly thing to say. It is going to happen no matter what they appease.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Hey brad you might be able to pick up like 5 or 10 more people from vanguard shutting down.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Are we looking at different careers here?

Even his website doesn't look that good.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Flarestar posted:

The negativity over McQuaid reeks of bitter old game vet syndrome and ignorance.

Old game vet syndrome might be because he hasn't done much of anything new.

2007 was vanguard, which was bad to most developers involved.
2010 was a co-founding of a start up for casual and social games that failed to find funding and ended in 2012.
2012 was joining SOE to relaunch Vanguard with a bad F2P model.
2013 was him switching to EQ1 and then leaving half a year later for this.

I don't know where the ignorance comes from, since he hasn't done much since those old games.

Speaking of F2P models

quote:

@Calidor You will need to purchase a copy of the game to play beyond a certain point. The "F2P" portion can be seen as more of a trial than it is a traditional free-to-play game.

I'm expecting to see another EQ2 or Vanguard style F2P model that splits the player base and is aggressive towards the players asking them to upgrade now. Going to put money on there being a button that you can't remove saying GOLD MEMBERSHIP.

EDIT: Going to throw this out here as well, I want to see another game by Brad. I enjoyed vanguard despite its bugs. I'm not going to back Pantheon and I doubt it will work.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 28, 2014

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

quote:

@Vextagora I'm not sure I understand your question, but I *think* I do. Anyone will be able to download the game and start playing. This will be the free portion. However, after you've played to a certain level or a certain amount of time (we haven't decided which yet), you'll need to buy the game in order to keep playing. If you pledge for multiple copies now, that means you won't have the level or time limit on those copies.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Star citizen isn't an example you should be using.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Thankfully that god doesn't exist or has promised way more than delivered.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The guy who was on the VU stream with brad did some of my favorite parts of EQ2.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I think you don't get how comparisons work.

It can be compared in every way. The success ratio for any project is still good. The success ratio for bigger budget projects may be a great thing to use, but we don't have that do we?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Brad, you probably should look into a heavy push for your game a bit more later today or tomorrow since SOE is just now launching an alpha of EQ landmark.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I too am a true pc gamer.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Peechka posted:

Oh, god, get off it. How many games have you bough blindly that you threw away your money at. How many lovely mmos have you bought in the past 10 yrs that you threw money at blindly. They even had alphas and betas, and yet still turned out to be wastes.

The answer may surprise you.

I don't throw money blindly at things.

I am sorry you are bad with money.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 6, 2014

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

amusinginquiry posted:

Ugh you guys are so depressing I just want a fun online game to adventure around in with pals while being a dude who heals a dude who tanks things for a dude who hits things and maybe have another dude who casts weird spells on things

Is it too much to ask for?

That is kinda what I want with the neat dungeon design and classes similar to vanguard, but working.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

That, and as smedly said, the code is such a train wreck they can't integrate it with their new changes to their security.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Node posted:

Brad has been 1 for 2 in MMORPGs if you're judging him like that.

I've always liked the same odds as flipping a coin.

But he has worked on some other things, that are notably bad.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Node posted:

I don't actually know what else he has done. Someone mentioned some facebook deal and I'm not surprised because facebook games are retarded.

Personally, I only care about what MMORPGs he has been involved in when he is making a new MMORPG.

I posted info earlier in this thread. Basically he went back to redo vanguard and EQ for their free to play models.

You know, the ones that were bad and split the player base.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Here is my older post.

Third World Reggin posted:

Old game vet syndrome might be because he hasn't done much of anything new.

2007 was vanguard, which was bad to most developers involved.
2010 was a co-founding of a start up for casual and social games that failed to find funding and ended in 2012.
2012 was joining SOE to relaunch Vanguard with a bad F2P model.
2013 was him switching to EQ1 and then leaving half a year later for this.

I don't know where the ignorance comes from, since he hasn't done much since those old games.

Speaking of F2P models

I'm expecting to see another EQ2 or Vanguard style F2P model that splits the player base and is aggressive towards the players asking them to upgrade now. Going to put money on there being a button that you can't remove saying GOLD MEMBERSHIP.

EDIT: Going to throw this out here as well, I want to see another game by Brad. I enjoyed vanguard despite its bugs. I'm not going to back Pantheon and I doubt it will work.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Node posted:

I'd argue that Vanguard wasn't a bomb. It wasn't a success, even though I loved the game, but I don't think you have to pick one or the other.

And it sounds like you're placing blame on one person for the kickstarter when it was Visionary Realms in charge of it. Did he play the biggest role in it? Surely. I don't think getting a kickstarter funded is a hazing process to becoming a proper developer - it's advertised as a niche game, kickstarter didn't work for it. It definitely could have been handled better, with more time, hype, and media.

Stop saying dumb things.

It wasn't a success when they lost money on it year after year according to smedly.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I think someone is doing an emulated server for vanguard and for everquest 2. I would really never wish that upon someone.

http://vgoemulator.net/

It is neat cause they say they need more people and they are working on it, then you look at this page.

http://vgoemulator.net/index.php?p=projman

It used to list the same guy for all the assigned roles but now it just says hidden.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Myspace the mmo.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

This was never a game, just a coke fund.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

We link to the site, discuss the site, discuss why it is bad, and sure enough someone comes in and goes hey by the way, have you seen this site.

EDIT: Oh good, the site is just like sites from 1999 with FRAMES.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 23, 2014

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

They needed to come together as a team and remove brad from the front of this project, but they didn't. He could of been "one of the guys" instead of "the main guy."

Maybe they tried that but failed.

There is a thread on their forum about the negative responses brad is getting about being brad.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

You assume they are actually making a product.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I'll make the website.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

When he realized he was out of money he invited everyone out back for a BBQ. Once everyone was outside of the garage he hit the garage door button and said that they were all fired.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I thought people knew at the start of this project his name wasn't worth anything but then again we got some true believers here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

According to that post, Salim Grant has information that it was more grim, and gave that information on KTAM, but can't find the info on that radio station.

• Locked thread