Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

StarkRavingMad posted:

Jeff is streaming C-64 games right now for some reason.

Peeps are nostalgic about their old consoles, which is why some people think things are good when they weren't. Chances are Jeff is testing controllers and games before logging them and boxing them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Man, anime avatars poppin up like pocky at an anime con (that's short for convention for us gaijin) at the slightest of remarks that a robot marketing tool rhythm video game might be not good.

I am eagerly awaiting the horse and buggy racer featuring the Budweiser Clydesdales so I can embrace American consumer culture in my luxury video game.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Yan Yan sounds like some pretty marked up peices of dunkaroo poo poo to me. But hey, why not. I had a few American bento boxes when I was a kid, aka loving lunchables.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Whizbang posted:

There was also a level like this in one of the Japan only Cooking Mama games.

It's weird how cooking mama is a children's game here where in Japan it is an incest rape and canabalism dating sim. Cooking Mama indeed.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Red Red Blue posted:

Hockey, preferrably, but I'll take Football too

Hear hear, except when you have a bigger brother who can gently caress your team up so hard you lose via forfeit.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Doesn't matter if MG:R is bad at explaining itself because, platinum, japan, defining the ~~~~*genre*~~~~. It's enigmatic on purpose, by design so you can be part of the cultural zeitgeist and feel empowered by overcoming adversity.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Perfect Potato posted:

Or maybe sometimes people complain about stupid poo poo. There was a massive thousand post thread on Neogaf a few weeks ago because someone couldn't handle the lack of a pause button in Dark Souls (exiting the game takes seconds and leaves you in the exact same spot as you left it, they were literally arguing about a 5-10 second difference for everytime you go take a dump or answer the door or feed a baby or whatever). I haven't played Revengeance but not every complaint is valid or worth listening to.

Funniest part about this is, if you are hollow and in a safe place it's actually beneficial just to leave the game running as you can get more estrus flasks from people lighting bonfires and no enemy will ever waltz over to attack you.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Mordiceius posted:

I wonder if the people behind games like Candy Crush Saga or Clash of Clans feel like they're making actual valuable contributions to gaming culture or are just fine with the fact that their games are lovely games that manipulate stupid people.

"Gaming culture" is a loving laugh riot.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
For anyone who really likes Dark Souls and Demon Souls you owe it to yourself to check out Bonfireside Chat, which is a goon made podcast about Dark Souls, then Demon Souls, the upcoming episodes will be about Berserk because of its shared DNA of the atmosphere of both games. It is a really well done podcast and usually very funny to boot.

Check that poo poo ouuuut.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
I live on a road called Route 88 and there are so many Chinese food places due to the the superstition of the lucky number 8.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

steakmancer posted:

It is awesomely infuriating how plodding and tepid Brad progresses through the game with almost identical controls to Dark Souls.

Yeah gently caress that guy playing it the way most people play their first souls game. Slow, sheild up all the time, sorcery or pyromancy. loving cheat code babies, ya feel? Not like us hardcore gamers though.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Hakkesshu posted:

One thing Demon's Souls did better was have cooler boss loot. Beating Old King Doran and getting both his armour and Demonbrandt, which you then forge into Northern Regalia, was one of the most awesome things in that game.

Yeah, that's pretty cool. Spell or boss soul weapon was another great thing thing also. Level based design is crap if it means throwing out the interconnected world. Nexus is nothing but hub world with branching spokes and it all seemed like it was disconnected. Finding meaningful shortcuts is a great feeling in dark souls and lends to progression.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

What if I find brad dying amusing, what then????

Watch literally any quick looks with a fail state that he plays. Serves em up, plenty.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

It's funny that they're almost all getting way into Souls games and Spelunky far far too late to make the correct GOTY decisions.

Luckily those games were not Giant Bombs game of the year, although they might have been yours. Weird thing about subjective awards, I know. But, if you think about it a little it makes sense. Hope this helps!

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Drew, obviously.

But, his eyebrows....he has them.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

monoptic posted:

He lucked in to that Black Knight Greataxe and Silver Knight Shield, so he's geared enough to handle anything the game throws at him at this point - including Gwyn, especially now that he's practiced parries. I wish I could've watched live to see chat's reaction to that Axe drop.

That being said, taking out O&S on his second try was impressive. Kid has skill.

He was a bit over leveled for them at 67 but using that gently caress off upgraded golem axe and power within he just crushed with damage. That poo poo took forever on my SL 20 something dickwraith. He is pretty dang good at the game. That silver knight shield is almost a gimme drop if you spend any time grinding in Anor Londo though. I was feeding those and spears and swords to toothy for ages.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

TheJoker138 posted:

Jeff didn't actively hate Last of Us like he does Dark Souls. He saw the merits in at the very least it's story, even if he didn't enjoy the stealth sections of the gameplay. He rightly thinks that Dark Souls is hot garbage and while I could see him allowing it on the list to placate everyone else, if it took the #1 spot I'd be loving amazed.

If 4 of the 6 people love Dark Souls 2 then it will be GOTY. Unfortunately, I can't positively say Dark Souls 2 will be as good as Dark Souls or Demon Souls. The assumed everyone is always invadeable which they are teasing takes away a really cool and core player choice of more risk and more reward or less risk and less reward. PvP players are championing this as they assume the larger pool of invadees will make it less likely to get invaded when it sounds like a steady flow of assholes everytime the cool down timer is up.

Captain Internet fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 23, 2014

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

cat doter posted:

There's a covenant that summons people to defend you so it'll always be balanced in the favour of the invadee. Also the invasion is time so if you can avoid them long enough they'll get booted. Also their estus flask is a lot less effective.

Man, all I can think of is people joining that blue phantom covenant and just spamming "Well what is it" over and over instead of helping the invadee.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Vargs posted:

Yesterday I was going back and looking at a bunch of older GB subscriber videos, and while I've been enjoying his content, it's pretty funny how stereotypically youtubey Patrick's stuff has been. Starts out with really low quality scarecam videos of poo poo like Slender/Amnesia, then moves on to a blind Dark Souls/Spelunky runs. I'm looking forward to his upcoming Minecraft feature.

Yeah, he should get premiere and add some fuckin lense flare and produce his own one man video game sitcom.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Eastbound Spider posted:

You worked on APB?

Yeah 25 MONSTAR FACSIMILES designed the driving and shooting mechanics of that treasure.

Or he was in public relations but had a hard time relating to said public because despite how hard the team worked and crunched the game was, well you know.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

KoB posted:

heh, typical eastern timezoner, always late :smug:

I hate sporting events at reasonable times, too. Also, watching things when I am home from work is such a sucky thing. Oh wait, it totally rullllllllles. Man, Mountain time and pacific suck a whole heapin helpin of dicks.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

CJacobs posted:

Are we still in a state where reviews of 10 or 9 mean "buy it right now with all of your money", 8 means "we didn't get paid enough for this review but it's still good", 7 means "it's horribly flawed" and 6 and below mean never purchase it ever?

It amazes me how many people think reviewers are paid by publishers for their reviews. Like astounded. Same poo poo has been around since Game Pro, same stupid argument. Polygon 750,000 United States Dollars, not withstanding as it was explicitly stated.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Were terrible catchphrases invented or discovered?

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Cityinthesea posted:

I like how you guys lambast polygon until they have a review you think a game should have :v:.

Clock right, twice a day. Etc. You cannot argue the absolute sheer drop off between the McElroy content in MBMBAM vs. ANYTHING on polygon. It's stark and confusing.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Monster w21 Faces posted:

We all need to badger Patrick, Brad and Vinny until they play Dragon's Dogma.

I was a terribly awkward teenager. Fat, bad hair, goth, trench coat, poor social skills... Even then I knew DBZ was terrible and that liking it would be going too far.

Patrick did play Dragons Dogma, he liked the Combat okay but felt the world was empty and boring.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Monster w21 Faces posted:

You should have been playing war in the woods.

Playing war in the woods on summer evenings was the best.

Which is why he needs to play it again in a post Souls world.

The game is okay, but the world is still boring. I think he got everything he could out of it. A pretty decent game that pales in comparison to Souls.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Popy posted:

Acquiring Atlas I thought someone at Sega grew a brain, but then Year of Sonic happened. :bang:

Sega knows what their western audience really wants. Personal 5 in the west? Nah, spend all that localization money on more SONIC. :rice:

Uhhh, yeah Sonic is being developed by a western dev thus needs no localization and is meant to accompany a television series of the same name. Persona 5 isn't even complete for Japanese consumers and there is no indication it will not be localized.

Lastly, what in the gently caress is a Doggone Ronpaul anime?

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Man FFFFF Lightman Reruns looks awwwwful.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
I have found the most delicious fish head in this seafood processing plant trash bag = best final fantasy in the last decade.

It looked clumsy, overwrought with their own video package flourishes, and the combat is muddy and busy. Imagine how much money and man power went into that game and imagine them focusing their effort onto a Final Fantasy with a job system instead of trying to catch the Lightning in a bottle that FF7 was. Pun intended.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
My problem with he dumb fun of FFxfiniteen and Saints Row is one is self aware and the other is tripe for another culture so it seems that it has to be so goofy and self aware when it is dead loving serious.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

RoadCrewWorker posted:

By tuesday all 7 billion humans will be in that chat anyway, so you can get all of GB's reactions straight from there. It's probably mostly "down".

I looked at this experiment for a minute and usually it was people saying start over and over and they would be trapped in menus. Not sure how they are making progress unless it happens during non peak hours.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Well, that is a pretty neat curiosity. Probably won't really catch wildfire, but cool nonetheless. Millennials are weird.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Pretty sure Grambys and Gampas around this wonderful world think all videogames are Maario and will die with that truth in their minds.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Hace posted:

You guys the pokemon stream is going out of control

Understanding and enjoying salty belt but giving no fucks about this business is how you know your on the fringe of an age gap. I hope twitch chatters, the YouTube commenters of chat rooms, win this Pokemon experiment and everyone will be burned out by copycats.

Hey, I specified my age as the reason I don't find it interesting. Not saying that there aren't plenty of people who would take part in the hype(?) of this thing.
Vvvvv

Captain Internet fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 18, 2014

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Sounds to me like they were told they will not have the same budgets they were used to and probably less control of deadlines which probably made Kevin just wanna shut it down. If he can't do it the way he wants to do it, why do it?

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Mutation posted:

That seems kind of odd, most head people just leave the studio when they've decided they had enough. Not lay everyone off.

It reads like they will no longer budget out his large scale game development any more and likely gave him more modest numbers. To stay employed he probably is transitioning the studio to smaller projects. Hence the term, winding down. Probably the only way to save a couple jobs.
He can't rightly say on a pr piece that his publishers are shitties and won't give him the greenbacks.

Captain Internet fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 18, 2014

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Mutation posted:

Considering what the end product was, I think that maybe Bioshock Infinite didn't need the five years and do overs that Levine though it needed.

btw Congrats CrushedB on becoming a Neogaf moderator, lately that forum is actually starting to improve.

Isn't neogaf just no mutants allowed but for all video games?

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Scylo posted:

Titanfall would be a good game if it had servers in the country that I live in. Not really a fan of those "Hey there's a Titan!" *retrying connection* moments.

Do you have a sky where you live? Cause there should be some fuckin clouds, you fuckin liar.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
You watched the Quicklook of the South Park game? You must be proud that the rest of GB are starting to think like you. When you're first arrived at GB, I tolerated you and your type of sensational journalism. But now you're turning the site into your own soapbox like something like the next Kotaku or Polygon, because you have to impose your beliefs to others. I know you used to work at horrible places like MTV and G4, but don't drag GB down the dirt & let the guys be their old selves. -someone on Patrick's tumblr who probably uses the acronym SJW as an insult

Jeff Gerstmann posted:

If you’re the type of person who would write something like the above question, do yourself a favor and stop watching our stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Grondoth posted:

Goons laugh at Kotaku running stories about having sex in a sonic bed, and laugh at Polygon for site layouts and self-absorbed documentaries. Not because they sometimes run articles about videogame sexism.

You don't understand, they don't believe in treating all humans equally, they just do it for page views because who in their right mind actually thinks people shouldn't be put in a corner because they are a not white male. Fuckin assholes probably went to college or someshit,

• Locked thread