Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
:siren:Attention new players: please read this post:siren:

Due to the recent influx in very new players I made this helpful guide on how to not be deadweight to your team. All of this is applicable in both matchmaking and goonmans. Even if you have poo poo aim and go 0-30 every match you can still contribute to your team by holding good angles and making good calls. If you are new to CS:GO but have played Source or 1.6 you can probably just skim over this, but for everyone else it will be super helpful to read.

:siren:How to CS:GO:siren:

Table of Contents:
  • Section 1: General tips
  • Section 2: Buys
  • Section 3: Maps (including default CT setups and default T plant spots)

:siren:Section 1: General Tips:siren:

Everyone should follow all of these general rules, but I have bolded the ones that are the most common mistakes for new players.
  1. DO get a microphone and use it.
  2. DON'T aim at the ground.
  3. DO keep your crosshairs at head level at all times (see also: tip #2).
  4. DON'T move and shoot at the same time.
  5. In general, DON'T crouch. The only real exception to this is if you are trying to surprise someone during a quick peek, or if you are in a point blank spray or something. 99% of the time crouching is useless. The reduction in recoil while crouching is negligible and provides no real-world benefit (the dynamic crosshairs are lying when it says crouching makes you more accurate).
  6. DON'T crouch-walk ever.
  7. DO tap/burst fire. You should never be firing more than 2 or 3 rounds at a time unless someone is right up in your face.
  8. DON'T spray. Spray control is an important part of counter-strike but for new players there are much more important things to learn. Once you are proficient at aiming and burst/tap firing you can start to work on your spray control.
  9. DO stutter-step. Tapping the opposite movement key from whichever direction you are going brings you to a halt faster than just releasing your movement key. This means that in a firefight your movement pattern should be something like "AAAAAAD *shoot 2 bullets* DDDDDDA *shoot 2 bullets* *repeat until other guy is dead*"
  10. DO listen to your teammates, especially when they are better than you. Sometimes this means putting up with someone yelling at you. Don't get mad and bitch about it over voice chat, and don't be passive aggressive about it and ignore whatever they just told you that you did wrong. Just get over it and move on, and don't make the same mistake again. Obviously there are times where the other guy is legitimately just being an rear end in a top hat, but more often than not it's just a veteran player being frustrated by a newbie mistake, and it's nothing personal.
  11. DON'T block your teammates. This means that if someone is peeking through long doors on dust2, you should not stand right next to them. You don't need 2 people peeking the same corner at the same time. Just go do something else.
  12. DON'T push through smoke.
  13. DON'T switch spots. This is only applicable to CT side, and it means that if you call that you are playing catwalk/short A on dust2, you will play catwalk for the entire half. This does not mean you can feel free to just go and try to pick mid randomly the next round just because you picked up an AWP. If you want to pick mid then fine, just say so during the buy period and make sure that whoever was previously playing mid knows to swap with you and play cat instead.
  14. DO buy and save with your team.
  15. DON'T make bad/generic sounding calls. If you are defending long A on dust2 and you get rushed, don't immediately yell "ALL LONG A" on voice chat. If you see 3 people, say "3 long A". If you see 4 people including the bomb carrier, say "4 long A with bomb." There is a huge difference between "everyone on the other team" and "only 4/5 members of the other team" when making calls. It only takes 1 guy lurking B tunnels to wipe out 3 or more of your teammates as they rotate with their knives out because you called "all long A" over voice chat. Likewise, if you hear a bunch of footsteps in B tunnels, don't just automatically assume this means they are going to rush B. Just call "steps B tunnels".
  16. DON'T rotate as CT until someone calls bomb. Just because your teammate playing long A got killed and saw 2 terrorists there it does not mean they are actually hitting A and that it is OK for you to rotate. Note that this is not a blanket rule, in some situations you might want to rotate early. For example, it is common to play 2 CTs in B site on inferno. If one of your teammates in A is killed early, it is generally OK for one of the B players to rotate to A even if they haven't seen the bomb yet, since one player can still relatively easily hold B site alone. However, in this situation both B players need to be aware of what is going on, so make sure you say "hey <other guy> I am rotating away from B" over voice chat.
  17. DON'T needlessly push in situations where you don't have to. For example, if you are CT and your team has a 3v1 advantage and the bomb down, JUST SIT ON THE loving BOMB. Don't go out and try to find the last T because there is absolutely no reason to. You get absolutely no benefit from killing the T player, especially because if the timer runs down the T gets $0.
  18. DON'T enter a site/push a corner/peek an awper one by one. You want to make entries as a team and a group. Going in one at a time is just inviting the other guys to get a bunch of easy kills.
  19. DO buy kits. Seriously if you are CT side and I see you leaving spawn with at least $400 and no kit I will just TK you.

:siren:Section 2: Buys:siren:

What gun should I buy
99% of the time you should only be buying M4/AK/AWP. M4A1 vs M4A4 is personal preference. With the recent patch, the AUG and the SG553 are more viable, but are still more expensive than the alternatives. There is a reason that M4/AK/AWP are the most commonly used weapons, and it is not because CS players are stuck in 1999. It is because they give you the best stopping power/price ratio. There are specific situations where you want to buy other things, and they are detailed below.

When should I save?
Remember that you are shooting for everyone on your team to have at least an M4/AK and armor (including helmet). This means that if someone on your team can't afford a rifle + armor, you need to save AS AN ENTIRE TEAM. The magic numbers for buying vs saving are:
  • T-side: $3700/per player (cost of AK + armor)
  • CT-side: $4100/per player (cost of M4A4 + armor, M4A1 + armor would be $3900)
A "full-buy" actually entails rifle + armor + a full complement of 4 grenades (2x flash, 1x smoke, 1x HE) and as such requires $4700 and $5100 respectively, but for determining when to save or not, it is safe to use the minimum numbers.

What about half-buys?
In situations where you are either already losing by a lot and absolutely have to buy, or where 4 out of the 5 players on your team can full buy and one can't quite afford it, it is OK to half-buy. This means substituting a Famas or Galil for a more expensive rifle. This does not mean buying an SMG. The P90 can be OK in this situation, but it is actually more expensive than either of the two bargain rifles and as such is a dumb purchase in my opinion.

But what about all of the other guns that are in the game?
Shotguns and SMGs can be purchased for anti-eco rounds. This means the round immediately following a pistol round win. In this situation it is safe to buy shotguns and SMGs because you know for a fact that your opponents will not have armor (the P250+armor eco is becoming more common in the competitive metagame, but in your typical pick-up game it is unlikely that you will encounter this). Also, if you die and your opponent picks up a shotgun/SMG it is OK, since everyone on your team has armor. Likewise, you don't want to buy a rifle here, because in the event that you do get killed your opponent will pick up your AK/M4 and then have a huge advantage over the rest of your teammates, who are not packing better weapons. Also, shotguns and SMGs (except for the P90) get a substantial monetary bonus for kills, which will help with purchases later on on the match.

What about pistols?
Buying a pistol is recommended if you are rich in mid to late game rounds, or if you are using a sniper rifle and need a better sidearm. The best options to use are:
  • P250/CZ (1 hit kill even through a helmet at close range)
  • Five-seven (CT only, 20 round mag and a 1 hit kill even through a helmet at close range)
  • Deagle (really only useful if you are a 1-deag pro)
The Tec-9 is a thing that exists but you should never buy it unless you are Fat Lou, but it does provide 1 hit kills through helmets at close range.

What should I buy on pistol rounds?
Don't buy a pistol on pistol rounds (with the exception of the five-seven). Buying a pistol on pistol rounds nets you absoultely nothing, since both the Glock and the P2K/USP will one hit kill with headshots (no one can afford helmets in a pistol round). Seriously, don't buy that P250/CZ no matter how tempting it is. The five-seven is an acceptable buy CT side since it has a 20 round magazine and better armor penetration than either of the default CT pistols.

Pistol round buys are really personal preference but some of the more common buys are:
T-side:
  • Armor + decoy
  • Grenades
  • Tec-9 + grenades (if you are Fat Lou)

CT-side:
  • Kit + grenades (either 2x flash or 1x HE or 1x smoke). It is a good idea to have 1 kit per site on CT pistol rounds.
  • Five-seven (acceptable due to the 20 round mag which can be useful, and since T's will sometimes have armor)
  • Armor + decoy (armor is a lot less common for CT side pistol)

:siren:Section 3: Maps:siren:
Here are the callouts for the most commonly played maps for goonmans, as well as default CT side setups and default plant spots. All of these maps are also played in matchmaking except for season.

de_dust2

Default CT setup: 3A - 1 Mid - 1B
Generally you want 2 of your A players watching long (ideally with one of them in pit) and the 3rd A player watching short. The mid player should be trying to get an early pick on an T-spawn awpers, as well as watching for a cat push. The mid player is also responsible for a quick rotate to B to help against a B rush. The solo B player should play from plat or toward the back of the site. It is generally not advised to play solo B from close to the tunnel exit or from car.

Default A plant: in the corner of the site next to the barrel so that anyone defusing can be seen and shot from long/pit
Default B plant: in the corner made by the window box and wall so that anyone defusing can be shot from tunnels (or B doors)

de_inferno

(Note: most goons use "speedway" to refer to truck side in A, rather than where speedway is marked on that map)

Default CT setup: 3A - 2B
The apartments player can play from either inside apartments, or they can watch balcony from pit/graveyard/site. The B players should generally have 1 player in site and 1 player CT side to get a good crossfire on any B push.

Default A plant: on the edge of the site behind the boxes so that anyone defusing can be shot from apartments/pit
Default B plant: by grill/BBQ so that anyone defusing can be shot from CT

de_nuke

Default CT setup: Either 2 Upper - 2 Ramp - 1 Outside or 3 Upper - 1 Outside - 1 Ramp
Outside player will generally be awping from big garage or CT red. Upper should have one person covering hut and one person covering squeaky door. Hut can be covered from heaven or rafters (or on top of hut), squeaky can be covered from floor/mini or rafters. If you are playing 3 in upper, generally you want 1 floor, 1 rafters and 1 floating between heaven/hell. The heaven/hell player is also responsible for helping against a ramp rush. In both upper situations a floor/mini player should also help against an outside push, either from mini or by rotating through vents and into secret. When playing ramp you want to play from ramp itself or headshot/big box. With 2 ramp players the second player can play from hell/yellow or close.

Default A plant: situational either plant for heaven or mini
Default B plant: N/A

de_train

(Note: In de_train_ve the A bombsite is moved from outside to the "A2 Train"

Default CT setup: Either 3A - 2B OR 4A - 1B
The solo B setup is less common, and in general solo B should probably be played from lower/Z. With 2 B players you want 1 player upper and 1 lower. Upper B should be played from back on the ramp, and lower B can be played from Z or up close on one of the trains. In A you generally want 1 player covering ivy, 1 player watching ladder and 1 player somewhere in site. All 3 players should be positioned so that they can also shoot anyone coming from T connector.

Default A plant: back of the bomb train towards e-box so that anyone defusing can be shot from T-conn, Z and ladder/e-box
Default B plant: back of the bomb train or next to the train facing upper so that anyone defusing can be shot from upper

de_mirage

(Note: A apartments is also called palace now)

Default CT setup: 3A - 1 Mid - 1B
Generally in A you want one player in CT or in site covering ramp, one player on or underneath the balcony covering both palace and ramp and one player in connector covering palace. The connector player is also responsible for helping against a mid or cat push. The mid player should either play from window or from B, but pushed all the way up catwalk. A solo B player should play from either van/apartment exit or from the corner where catwalk ends and B site begins.

Default A plant: in the open so anyone defusing can be shot from apartments/palace
Default B plant: in the open so anyone defusing can be shot from cat

de_cache

Default CT setup: Either 2A - 1 mid - 2B OR 2A - 2 mid - 1B
With 2 mid players you want one of them close so that they can quickly play in vents to help with a B rush. Other than that cache setups are generally pretty straightforward.

Default A plant: back of site

de_season

Default CT setup: 2A - 1 mid - 2B
In A you want to have someone covering halls and someone covering catwalk, and in B you want one player covering upper and one covering lower.

Default A plant: situational - either plant for cat/halls or plant in the open for CT

de_mill

Default CT setup: 2A - 1 mid - 2B
You generally want your 2 A players to cover cat, 1 from near the sewers exit and one from close to the top of cat. One B player should cover long b and the other should be watching spiral, either from spiral itself or from the top of the ladder/bridge from CPL house.

Default A plant: anywhere in site, but the further out in the open the better so that anyone defusing can be shot from cat - planting in the open requires smoking off mid first

astr0man fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Jeza posted:

I input all my details into this correctly but it says I do a 360 in 0.4 inches, when in reality it takes most of my smallish mousepad. Weird. 1600 DPI, 4.5 Sens, Windows 6/11.

If your windows sens is 6/11 you leave the multiplier at 1 (see the chart to the right of the calculator).

edit: You're at 2.3 inches per 360 which is incredibly high sens and you should lower it

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
2 inches is literally the width of my mouse so yeah holy poo poo :psyduck:

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
If you aren't getting incredibly frustrated and mad while playing CS you are doing something wrong. Or you are slumpy.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Demoinfo doesn't work because Valve still used the old HL2 demo format rather than the new protobuf (Dota) format. But apparently that changed in one of the recent patches cause some random dudes have started posting on the demoinfo github. I'm going to take a look at it again this weekend. But as far as splitting demos I don't know if that's even possible, but what the demoinfo does (or at least is supposed to do) is just dump all of the events in a server demo. So at the very least I could whip up a page where you can sort the server demos into matches where you got X number of kills or something, so that you at least can download the one you want.

There was also a related effort from some ESEA guy who wanted to use the demoinfo tool to make a web (idk if he was gonna do flash or html5) based viewer for demo videos, which would own if it ever actually happened. But again I think he gave up when I told him that demoinfo wouldn't work on the old format demo files.

edit: If demoinfo does end up working, it could mark files accordingly if a goonpug command that actually logged a server event for "interesting" rounds was added.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Necc0 posted:

Oh man if goonpug automatically posted trimmed demos of all my aces and clutches... :allears:

I'm gonna hard code it so it only shows rounds where I kill whoever is trying to find their ace demos :getin:

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Just goonman. Goons will tell you exactly what is bad about your game so you can improve on it.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
demoinfo update: still broken, and most likely not getting fixed any time soon. Even though CS:GO uses DOTA style protobuffers internally instead of the old valve usermessage buffers that all the other HL2 engine games use, the demo format is still apparently a clusterfuck that no one can read except Valve. There's a couple randoms also taking a look at it so maybe one of them will figure it out, but as far as I can tell it won't happen unless Valve decides to just release whatever demo viewing poo poo they use internally (which is how the original demoinfo tool got released for DOTA). But given how much more effort goes into DOTA vs CS:GO at Valve I wouldn't get your hopes up.

https://github.com/pmrowla/demoinfo-csgo/issues/1

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
That's mostly right. Protobuf is just a google library for message passing. Valve had an old messaging system for passing server/game events that was kind of lovely so they started using protobuf in Dota. Then they sort of half implemented them in csgo but the other half still does old valve poo poo so the demo files are weird now.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Considering that it already costs more than a Famas or Galil and that it doesn't get the SMG kill bonus I think the P90 is balanced just fine. If you are getting killed by idiots that just P90 rush, play passive/farther back than usual. You will outrange them with a rifle, just don't let the P90 guy get right up in your face.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Depending on the hack it could always just send a packet to the server that says you are not moving at the exact moment you shoot, so the movement penalty wouldn't matter.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Ban slime for developing organner 2.0.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
There are actually hacks that do that, and Valve actually owns a patent on a tech for countering that kind of method

http://www.google.com/patents/US20060247038

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
That's 7.3 inches/360 which isn't outrageous, but most of the people that care enough to post about sens in this thread will tell you to shoot for ~12 in/360

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Zaphod42 posted:

I've often wondered this myself. Its not like anybody bothers to encrypt game data, its not feasible.

How is this not feasible?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Yeah I wasn't talking about the patent, I meant that it is entirely feasible to encrypt your game's network traffic.

edit:

RadioPassive posted:

I'm not very knowledgeable on how these things work, but would a potential middle-man hack like this introduce detectable latency time between intercepting the packets and re-transmitting them? Or something?
No

astr0man fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 22, 2014

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Games do use UDP (including source engine stuff), and in this situation no you would not want to use something like SSL.

RTP is used for VOIP, but its a good example of how to easily and cheaply encrypt UDP traffic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Real-time_Transport_Protocol. Basically, you would use RSA or something to do your key exchange initially when the client connects to the server, and then after that all of your UDP packets are encrypted with AES or whatever other cheap cipher you want, using the keys that you exchanged at the initial connection time.

And no, source engine games don't do this, so it's not really relevant to CS.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Zaphod42 posted:

So I guess Operation Bravo was supposed to stop like now but Valve got lazy and said eh gently caress it?

They extended it again to February 5th so more people can grind out their gold coins.

http://blog.counter-strike.net/index.php/2014/01/8430/

edit:
I don't think they will be removing any of the maps from MM servers. Pretty sure all that the "end" of operation bravo will mean is no more grinding silver/gold coins and no more bravo case drops.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Everyone can already play the Bravo maps? Buying the pass gets you the coin and a higher chance at the bravo specific drops.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

kalstrams posted:

128 tick ? No, gently caress players.

This is never going to happen, because of the framerate thing.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Here's the full patch notes:

Patch Notes posted:

[ UI ]
- Fixed an alt-tab related memory leak.
- Added ability for Friends Lister to display two columns of friends.
- Added ability for mouse wheel to scroll Friends Lister.
- Added filtering by item name. Players can enter any part of an item name in the text field to filter their inventory.
- Added ability to sort items when selecting items that will work with a tool.
- Players can no longer initiate a vote kick on the final round or match point.
- The 'bomb has been planted alert' now also states the number of seconds that mp_c4timer is set to.
- The voice chat button in the lobby (microphone) now stores it's state from session to session.
- Fixed remaining cases where Blog would take mouse input when if was obscured.
- Fixed Main Menu bar buttons getting stuck in highlighted state.
- Context menu entries are now divided into categories.
- Open Case UI will auto-select a key in cases where players do not need to choose between different types of keys.
- Fixed cases where players could not rename items in Lobby and Pause menu inventories.
- Inventory images will show the thumbnail for a weapon's sticker.
- Buying helmet when you already have kevlar will now update the health/armor HUD icon element immediately on purchase.
- Fixed the freeze cam panel not always having the killer's weapon item data during demo playback.
- Grenades now show player ownership in their name.
- Fixed some vote panel text getting truncated.
- Fixed the health, armor and ammo HUD elements not showing up sometimes when spectating some players.
- Fixed some alignment issues on the spectator follow panel
- Fixed the weapon image in the spectator panel not having a background.
- Realigned the spectator follow panel a bit.
- The gift drop alert panel has been de-holiday-ified.
- Removed the snow from the main menu background.
- Turned off rope and freeze cam holiday effects.
- Fixed missing Cyrillic characters in chat.
- Fixed HUD disappearing when alt-tabbing or starting another app (like hlmv).

edit:
Also, regarding the Operation Bravo map junk, they added a vote thing to the main menu where you can vote for what Bravo maps should stay in the full game once it ends.

astr0man fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 24, 2014

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

kcer posted:

I've not seen it yet but there's apparently a voting system that will determine which maps from the previous 2 operations are put into the game permanently.

You should vote for Cache and Cache only. Maybe Seaside for a laugh.

It showed up for me in the main menu, there was a yellow "!" button in the top right that isn't normally there. I'm assuming it only shows up for bravo pass holders.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Zaphod42 posted:

Apparently my headphones are broken? I could still hear gunshots, but not defusing or people talking. Like the tweeter broke but not the bass? And it must have been intermittent too...

I don't feel so bad about that Cache round, though. Not my fault! :( Need to buy new headphones I guess.

Yeah, part of the problem was that even if you didn't hear the defuse sound, it should have been obvious that he was going to go for the defuse. Also, you actually saw the CT defusing when you started to move out of the site to avoid the bomb blast.

Basically, when there is one CT left and he throws a smoke directly onto the bomb, you know he is going to go for the defuse, and you should be watching for him to come into the site.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xh7sw6thU4

astr0man fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 27, 2014

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Carrier posted:

Do you guys regularly call poo poo like 'defusing' when you are dead? Because I legit hate that.

Sometimes it is actually helpful, like in the above video. But really you should have a key bound to toggle voice on/off, and if you are the last person left alive and need to hear poo poo just disable voice until the round is over.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
You are all now banned from my 1.6 pub server for phone hacking and ghosting.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Zaphod42 posted:

Again, there WAS another T alive. So you can't even put this all on me. He had working heaphones!

And he was shooting at the CT as you ran by! But really it's not that big of a deal, and dumber things have happened in goonmans :)

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Here's a sweet investment gameplay video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ4xQ_locI0&t=68s

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Play with whatever seems better to you. The most common reason "real pros" give for why they play in 4:3 resolutions is because they want to use a consistent resolution across whatever hardware they are provided at lan tournaments and always get high framerates. I play at native res (1920x1080) because I think letterboxing it is annoying.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

VoiceOfIntuition posted:

Just gonna throw this round from tonight onto the pile of goonpug.avi's we already have.

You are now reddit famous. I hope you are proud of yourself.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Also, tip for new players: please don't make calls that the entire T team is rushing B-site if you are playing in A-site :psyduck:. Also don't rotate randomly until someone actually makes a call. Seeing one red dot on your radar somewhere else in the map is not a reason to give up whatever spot you are supposed to be covering.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Dylan-D posted:

Is there any valid strategy to employ with decoy grenades, specifically when they are used as intended (to decoy; not to fakeflash)?

Not really.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Don't rush through smokes and/or fire you idiots

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I don't understand why the server would have any affect on client side graphics junk. Do you get choke/loss on BB?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Fire can be useful but I never buy it because I prefer having a 2nd flash.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
The AUG seems like a straight upgrade over the M4A4 now, but the still M4A1 has it's uses.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
There was a small (<1MB) client update, it seems to have brought my framerate back up to where it was pre-patch so maybe they fixed the weird client crashing issue.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Stumbletron posted:

Today I learned that the Mag-7 is pretty accurate while jumping. I also learned that jumping shotgun rushes are the perfect counter to the buffed rifles in the silver ranks

I think I got reported :v:

All the shotguns ignore the accuracy penalty for jumping, so go hog wild with your bunny hopping nova/swag-7/sawed-off rushes.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Cowabanga posted:

Wait so do you rank/derank based on solely your wins/loses or is it also dependant on how well you do in matches? Some people say it's only on wins/loses and some people don't so I'm confused here.

No one knows for sure because valve doesn't publish their method. But they do say it's ELO adjusted for team gameplay, so it is almost definitely only cares about the match result wins/losses/ties. The thing that people use to say it is more than just wins/losses is that it is possible to rank up after a loss and down after a win, but that's actually a standard ELO thing and they are just dumb.

astr0man fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 9, 2014

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Why did anyone even think season needed to be overhauled in the first place :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
The # of wins doesn't really matter. If you start consistently winning though you will rank up eventually.

• Locked thread