Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Can someone add to the OP what guns are widely considered bad purchases? I've been playing competitive with a bunch of people who are new to CS, and I'm so new and useless I don't know what to tell them to buy because I always just get ak or m4.

I'm pretty sure we would stand a better chance if we don't go into midgame rounds with sweet dualies and Mac 10s, but I have very little sense of what guns are good at what times. We've won our first 3 competitive matches ever though, so something must be going well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

How long is the window to reconnect to competitive games? A friend of mine was having some technical difficulties, and what was a very brief disconnect became a lost match because he was unable to reconnect and was replaced by Bot Edward, who went 0-14 and bought a Negev to give to the other team.

Edit: Our matchmaking adventure has seen us rolled by several Silver III teams, I think we will end up in Silver I or II.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

a slime posted:

I wonder why you couldn't make a hack that just intercepts packets between the client and server and fixes the direction you're aiming. Completely undetectable to VAC, and if you were running CS:GO inside a VM and intercepting packets on the host it would literally be undetectable by anything

edit: if you sell a cheat that does this you owe me some of that dirty money

Or run this on hardware in between your PC and the internet. A physical little cheatbox that will fix your aim.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

The Daltony posted:

New update is supposedly out: http://steamcommunity.com/games/CSGO/announcements/detail/1769088494577248580

Wonder what they mean by this:
- Significant improvement to server infrastructure to support growing CS:GO community

Maybe it's going free to play and this is them saying they beefed up infrastructure?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I ran into a bug in a competitive game last night where 2 of my team members were unable to join the game, instead seeing the background shot of 2 counterterrorists over and over and spectating from a fixed camera, watching my team lose pistol round.

Upon leaving and rejoining the game the same bug persisted, and then randomly they were able to join 3rd round. The other team also had 1 player suffer this, so it wasn't just us. Has anyone seen this bug and have any suggestions on avoiding it in the future?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Really dumb question from a newbie: How much impact does reporting actually have? Is this game like dota-likes where I can get suspended and banned for bad manners? I don't know if I should be worried at threats of being reported.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Lavender Philtrum posted:

I always report people for text chat racial slurs because I'm amused at someone tossing out N words and then screaming at their PC when they realize they have a week long competitive cooldown or something. I don't know if it actually does anything, but there is a text abuse and voice abuse option when reporting.

Alright, I'm not too worried then. This was a low silver game where I ran around with dualies and no armor, my team won 16-3, and I would reply to them accusing me of hacking or calling me a human being with "no u".

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Dvsilverwing posted:

If you can consistently 1 Deag at close range, you can do even better with the Tec-9.

I think the idea is that you should only need the 1 shot, and the tec-9 lets you move faster and shoot more if you need to than the deagle. I'm a big fan of the Tec-9 as well.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I will bet the only stat-trak weapon I have on team Tec-9. It's a loving Nova.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Cowabanga posted:

okay this one made me giggle, good job

Going back to talking about csgo, I'm a silver elite at 43 wins, how bad is that? (I assume it would pretty terrible)

I've got you beat, I'm so bad that the game gave me a rank before I even had 10 wins. Silver IV for me, I get to try hard to do smart buys while my team will call "eco" and buy MP9s and armor without helm.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

astr0man posted:

But in the rare case that you just lose a shitton of matches and still haven't reached 10 wins sometimes it will just give you your rank anyways. Basically you get ranked at 10 wins or some arbitrarily high number of losses, whichever comes first.

This is exactly what happened to me. My other terrible friends and I queue with one friend of ours who is DMG, and it turns out that the correct team to play against one DMG and 4 low silvers are all Gold Nova Master or higher. I think I probably have 25+ losses to my 8 wins.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Graceful Flop posted:

I can confirm the new pistol is hilariously effective. Lose the pistol round? No prob, buy the CZ, camp a door, and liberate some poor shmuck's rifle. :getin:

Here's hoping for metagame, time for teams that win pistol round to only buy SMGs and shotguns so that in case you steal our guns you get guns worthless against armor anyway.

Revenge of the Mac 10!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

astr0man posted:

Trigger warning: giant fuckoff effortpost incoming - this is also going into the 2nd post of the thread

:siren:Attention new players: please read this post:siren:

:siren:How to CS:GO:siren:

I really appreciate this. What site is the best to learn the callouts for the community maps that the goonmans play? I was Weinertron on one game today, and I spent most of the time quiet because I had no clue what the callouts were on that map besides "mid" and "spiral"

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 24, 2014

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Popehoist posted:

I only started playing competitively in like November and I'm already generally fragging in the top 3 of my team whenever I play goonmans. I have a 5 year coin but don't be fooled, I spent those 5 years very sporadically playing gungame 24/7 servers with a 1 inch 360.

Better than me, I spent those 5 years buying mp5s in CS:S office. I feel so terrible at this game, but I feel like my terrible aim will teach me better game sense because I only ever get anything done when I surprise someone.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Is rank progression based on round win/loss or match win/loss? I'm trying to figure out if its worth fighting to win every round I can even when we're down 12-2, or if all that the matchmaker records is winning or losing the map.

If it is round based, I'm going to be a bit frustrated because my last two wins were team surrendering before round 15.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Dvsilverwing posted:

Neither are really frowned upon, Galil and Famas are perfectly fine if you're the only one on your team that can't afford their default M4/AK loadout, or after pistol rounds. Body Armor on the first round is only slightly discouraged because at that level of play, most kills with a pistol on the pistol round wind up being headshots.

I've seen people up to double AK still buying body armor on 2nd round instead of a bunch of grenades, and it doesn't seem that bad an option. It probably would be less valuable if aimpunch weren't a thing, but with pistols people tend to get hit in the chest / shoulder area at medium long range even with good players.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Coleman posted:

You should be buying armor on second round if you win pistol. Both vest and helmet, if you don't, you run the risk of getting tapped in the head by a pistol which, even at range, can still one shot to the head. Second round after a pistol loss is a different thing, of course and depends on whatever strategy your team decides to employ.

Whoops, I meant first round, pistol round. I know that a bunch of nades or maybe a defuse kit is the pro way to go, but I feel that pistol round armor saves my bacon frequently because of aimpunch.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Coleman posted:

Ah fair enough, but even still, not necessarily. Different people employ different things, you should buy on pistol round to suit your strengths. If you feel like you can't get the first shot off and wanna protect against aimpunch, go with armor. If your team is going to be rushing an area that might get nade stacked, by armor. If you want to play a more backup/complimentary role, buy a set of nades. It really does depend, and there isn't a "wrong" answer for pistol round. Some people have even gone back to buying pistols on pistol round.

I've been seeing more Tec-9s, Fat Lou is some sort of prophet.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

astr0man posted:

It has come to my attention that people on the sourcemod forums are actually trying to use goonpug and now they won't stop emailing/steam messaging me about it being broken so I guess I will maybe start actively developing/fixing it again.

Is the Github issue tracker the most up to date bug tracking on it? I've been wanting to learn a bit about sourcemod and might be able to help you fix your poo poo.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Goddamn it. I just learned that killing teammate at spawn is an instant kick and 30 min cooldown. We had someone lag out of a game, and our 0-17 bot bought an AWP and no armor, so I figured I'd relieve him of his AWP before he ran in and gave it to the enemy.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Mimetic posted:

Next time kill yourself

I really think this may be the preferred course of action when forced to play with bots on a competitive workshop map. The bots seem to be even worse on non-valve maps. Really though, thanks for the advice guys. Next time I will leave the bot in spawn and hope he doesn't get picked.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Nanomashoes posted:

I just got into this game and I'm having some good fun, but I'm stuck in silver because my aim with a rifle is pretty bad. If I can manage to make it through the pistol round and get an AWP I'm usually good to go and start making some sick clutch plays, which are especially fun because in Silver using sniper rifles is "cheating" and the enemy team will start raising hell in allchat asking my team to kick me.

Where in silver are you? I thought I was getting better but I'm still stuck at Silver IV. I certainly am seeing a different experience than you though, the only guns I see people buy at AK/m4/AWP/P90 and there's certainly teamwork going on.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

astr0man posted:

It just gets hidden, and it can come back within 1 game.

Here is how I think the system works:

You have your normal ELO bell curve, centered roughly around Master Guardian Elite/DMG.

Have we seen any statistics about the distribution? I'm surprised that it would be so high, I play regularly with a group of friends who are silver elite master at the very highest, and we always find matches quickly so there are tons of people in Silver. Maybe someday we will be Nova, but that's a ways off.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

DeusExMachinima posted:

Wouldn't a Silver 1 be as rare as a Global Elite or am I confusing Elo with grading on a curve?

I've seen lots of Silver 2s, I have never seen a Silver I. I really want to see one someday, even at Silver 4 / Silver Elite we see teams that do poo poo like all buy Scouts without armor after losing pistol round, throw smoke at chokes and then immediately charge through it, and all sorts of crazy stuff like that.

I think if I ever make it to Nova I'm going to miss the variety. I see all the guns in the game used very regularly in Silver, and frequently people just don't buy armor ever so free pistols remain incredibly deadly throughout the game.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I really want to do this. I wish I could buy an alt off someone for the $4 price it was on sale, though.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Is there a way that I can explain why the AK/M4/AWP are the go-to weapons? I'm playing with a group of friends who are all new and all suck, but one guy in particular is really falling behind and I think it might be because he hates AK/M4 and never will buy those weapons ever.

I've almost gotten "don't buy a UMP on save rounds" drilled into the group, "buy a kit" is the next thing I'm aiming for.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

old dog child posted:

UMP owns if you can aim but yeah it's not a good save round purchase unless you're doing a force buy or its the early rounds. Also M4/AK vs scoped weapons. Tell them to use it to practice for Aug/SG no scope shots because I bet they do it COD style and zoom in at every opportunity. Those guns develop bad habits. Trust me, I'm terrible.

I appreciate this discussion on the scoped weapons, but the friend in question prefers FAMAS / Galil to AK/M4, not the scoped guys.

Edit: Just like the guy above me, I guess!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Is overwatching only for hacking, or do people get banned for bad manners like in dotalike games? My silver friends and I have been playing with a DMG friend, and he's getting 40-50 kills most games whether we win or lose. He's getting so many serious hacking accusations and reports that I wonder if we should stop doing this before he gets banned.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Coleman posted:

There's a Griefing report, and I believe Overwatchers can answer Guilty for Griefing reports (though they can't even hear voice chat, so who the hell knows how worth it that even is). That said, the theory behind overwatch is the best method of detecting a cheater is the human eye, so if your friend isn't cheating and is just that much better than the opponents he's playing, Overwatch, again in theory, should find him innocent.

He is, we consistently go up against whole Nova 1-2 teams. We still see people buy a Bizon every round and such.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Miltank posted:

where do you input the password in this game?

Christ I feel like a scrub.

You can post the password here, we trust you.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Coleman posted:

Yeah it's still pretty silly for CS:GO though. On just the most recent case alone, non-StatTrak AWP Asiimov selling between 55-90 dollars (for different rarities), let's call it 70 bucks for an AWP Asiimov. There are 13 items in the case, (not including Knife), that's 32.50$ to open the case 13 times and get one of every item. Sell JUST the AWP, and you've already doubled your money. And if you get all 13 items, then what? Are you guaranteed a knife on the next unbox? Yeah I'm not so sure.

Maybe you get one of each quality? That way they could still make it significantly more likely to get the lovely cheap weapons.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I guess I need to get more used to picking up AUGs & SSGs. I'm so much more comfortable with the AK and m4 but I guess if I have the opportunity to pick up a dead guy's objectively superior gun I should.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

What is more important, buying armor, buying armor and a helmet, or buying a weapon? Assume the choice is taking place at the absolute bottom of skill level. In my first game where we got stomped I never had enough to get full armor + a good weapon at the same time, and never could even consider grenades. What gets priority?

If everyone (or at least all but one) person on your team can afford armor, helmet, and a rifle then you all buy armor, helmet & rifle. If multiple people can't afford helmet & rifle, then just buy a P250 or FiveseveN and no armor, and save money for next round.

This is all in the OP with way more detail.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

Are the aug and sg those two rifles with scopes? I kinda like those. I feel weird without a scope or ironsights or anything.

It feels so unlike counterstrike, I completely hate that I lose the crosshair when I zoom in with those so I've avoided them like the plague, given them to teammates if I somehow ended up with one.

I think I need to start learning though, after seeing the many advantages they have in damage, penetration, and long-range accuracy.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I guess that when the matchmaker figures out your rank, nobody ever wins games:

I feel like I've plateaued pretty hard at Nova 1, unfortunately. If anybody wants to watch a demo and point out my worst habits: steam://rungame/730/76561202255233023/+csgo_download_match%20CSGO-esq7j-reLhN-ErkFu-XF6xu-rNcqA

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

J posted:

Which one is you in the demo?

drat, I forgot my username here was changed. I'm Weinertron.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I've seen lots of great advice here, but I've never seen an AWPing for morons guide. My CS group all made it to Nova 2 at the same time, and now it is really hurting us that nobody know how to use an AWP. I think that I'm going to become our AWPer just because I hate it the least.

So far I am passable at extreme range with it, and at point blank because I am OK with a pistol and buy a 5-7 or P250 whenever I'll be using an AWP, but I'm terrible at midrange. I've never really watched a good AWPer, but I know that my team falls apart playing with or against them.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Thanks for all the feedback. We have 2 or 3 people who like autosnipers, but they tend to lose duels with AWPs. The autosniper people aren't great with AWPs, but usually we have the opportunity to steal them and I feel like we should use them.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I think that I saw my first hackers in MM, and it was a really strange experience. These two guys whose names were characters that showed up as empty spaces in the scoreboard and kill messages somehow votekicked the other 3 members of their team, and then would kill themselves at spawn and take over a bot. They would then proceed to deagle headshot us very quickly at any and all ranges.

Anyway, really surreal game because of that. Do you get any message if someone you reported gets overwatched and banned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

1 match from gettin a rank. I am afraid to learn my fate...this match had unranked people and silver 2-4 in it. Who knows...how low i can sink...
in other news: if you get teamflashed, can you see the buy menu? other other news: can you repeatedly rebuy grenades? these are not related

You'll be better than my crew who all ranked into Silver III, made it to Nova 3-4, and are now back to Silver around win 80.

• Locked thread