Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Weinertron posted:

Can someone add to the OP what guns are widely considered bad purchases? I've been playing competitive with a bunch of people who are new to CS, and I'm so new and useless I don't know what to tell them to buy because I always just get ak or m4.

I'm pretty sure we would stand a better chance if we don't go into midgame rounds with sweet dualies and Mac 10s, but I have very little sense of what guns are good at what times. We've won our first 3 competitive matches ever though, so something must be going well!

FAMAS, P90 and UMP are all pretty decent. If you can't afford a P90 or FAMAS just save.

Stay away from shootgons unless the situation really calls for it.

Actually I'm a noob I should let somebody else answer...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Necc0 posted:

I specced this as it happened and it was beautiful

That was the first goonman I've ever specced.

Sick, Slime.

Ironsights posted:

Chiming in to say GoonPugs are a cool thing and helped me to learn alot about this game.

Played my first with y'all and I definitely need to un-learn some bad habits.

Fun poo poo though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Every once in awhile I'll have a streak of wins and my teammates will be competent and there won't be any rage.

But odds are if you're playing CS or DOTA (really any competitive game) there's gonna be hardcore rage.

I know I've been raging at the pubbies I get MM'd up with.

Diplomat posted:

I buy armor on T pistol rounds and it works well for me. I'm terrible at this game though.

Pistol isn't eco. Buy armor on pistol. Don't buy armor on eco.

I'm terrible too but I'm learning.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Fat Lou posted:

NEW THREAD NEW VIDEO. This video should be known as the feel good collection.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWEx2WKuDQk

I did not see that Slime made one for himself and I have that clutch in this one.

Hahahaha, "better off alone", that's perfect. :haw:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Turk February posted:

Most of the time I have already been drinking at a steady rate by this point, so depending on my BAC I could go into what had been dubbed by Fat Lou as Hyena Mode (I laugh uncontrollably in a high pitched cackle that turns on my natural autoaim).

A few nights ago I was buzzing pretty hard and did some MM and I was in the loving zone, just drunk enough to not care or overthink poo poo, but not so drunk that it messed up my performance. I was zen, just round after round blurred by and I did fantastic.

A couple nights ago I did a goonman while drinking and was clearly missing a lot of things that even at my skill level I should be getting. Although maybe it was just the stress of being overwhelmed by higher skill players.

I'm going to continue to experiment and find the proper level for maximum shootymans enjoyment.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

RadioPassive posted:

gently caress you, no. No. You're making this poo poo up. Protobuffers? gently caress you. That can't be real.

Well, you gotta use some kinda wizbang technology so that 1000 people can spectate the same DOTA/CSGO game without causing any noticeable performance impact. poo poo's pretty slick.

I think its short for ProtocolBuffer too, which sounds more real and less crazy.

Its just a format like xml only not nearly as verbose and wasteful as xml, so more like JSON, but with different rules for deserializing that makes it more flexible or some poo poo.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 17, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Totally gonna CS tonight after work, if you guys are on I'll goonman all night and if not I'll be in MM till I see people in server

Gotta get better at this poo poo!

Inside Out Mom posted:

Hey Ruin Completely, and well anyone thats new for that matter, feel free to add me. I have like 20 hours in this game and am doing MM and DM to get myself better at this game. If you're looking for someone to brave the unknown during that time, add me on steam. I know first hand that while some goons will find your incompetence hilarious, at one point it will wear thin on a few. http://steamcommunity.com/id/znorps/?l=english

I'm down like a clown Charlie Brown.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

soscannonballs posted:

As a really terrible player should I not be doing competitive mode? I assumed it would be placing me against other bad players but people are getting mad at how bad I am and I don't want to ruin games.

If you've never played before then play some casual or deathmatch first. That said, gently caress the haters and play competitive and you'll get better.

The thing is you have to get 10 wins to get ranked. Right now you're up against all the other unranked people, some of which are actually amazingly good. Once you power through 10 wins you'll get placed in the low Silver ranks and then it'll be all newbs for awhile. :)

Coleman posted:

Finally got this uploaded, I'm really terrible with video editing (as in totally clueless), so awesome dude Adventuro whipped this up for me. Matchmaking with some friends on my alt account, here's a boost not a lot of people know about, and how to get it to work perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsTIKcsPyvA

Hahaha, the music :allears: I know its Diddy Kong, which track? Frosty Village?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

a slime posted:

I wonder why you couldn't make a hack that just intercepts packets between the client and server and fixes the direction you're aiming. Completely undetectable to VAC, and if you were running CS:GO inside a VM and intercepting packets on the host it would literally be undetectable by anything

edit: if you sell a cheat that does this you owe me some of that dirty money

I've often wondered this myself. Its not like anybody bothers to encrypt game data, its not feasible. So all that poo poo is sitting there going across the wire just begging for a man-in-the-middle.

I think I read somewhere awhile back that it had been done in a few rare cases.

gently caress, that'd even get around Blizzard's warden and poo poo. Although I bet really paranoid companies like MMO servers would do some kinda security checks that you'd have to reverse engineer.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

astr0man posted:

How is this not feasible?

Attaching a hash is pretty cheap, but fully encrypting every bit of data over SSL is gonna make latency way worse.

I guess it depends upon the situation with modern hardware, with a small private server you could maybe do it, on LAN it'd work I guess. But certainly if you're playing like Battlefield with 64 people in europe or if you're like on a Diablo 3 server with a couple thousand people, its gonna be tricky.

Especially in an FPS context where every ms counts. On an MMORPG you can get away with way more latency. I guess that's why most MMOs are RPGs? I wonder if Planetside 2 is fully end-to-end encrypted...

Encryption is pretty expensive all things considered.

I could be wrong, but last I checked some games still used loving UDP. Latency is everything.

I'll take a look at some CS:GO packets after work and make sure I'm not crazy here. :cheeky:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 22, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jeoh posted:

But can the NSA still see my sick 360 noscope headshots?

Somewhere, somebody is getting paid to watch all your 360 noscope headshots.

And he is not impressed.

astr0man posted:

Games do use UDP (including source engine stuff), and in this situation no you would not want to use something like SSL.

RTP is used for VOIP, but its a good example of how to easily and cheaply encrypt UDP traffic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Real-time_Transport_Protocol. Basically, you would use RSA or something to do your key exchange initially when the client connects to the server, and then after that all of your UDP packets are encrypted with AES or whatever other cheap cipher you want, using the keys that you exchanged at the initial connection time.

And no, source engine games don't do this, so it's not really relevant to CS.

Hmm, interesting. I'll have to read about that, cool protocol. But yeah, not CS.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

So I guess Operation Bravo was supposed to stop like now but Valve got lazy and said eh gently caress it?

:allears: You magnificent bastard.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Barehanded Brother posted:

I will never get tired of watching Fat Lou frag videos. What's the dubstep song at the end? (you know, for, uh, ironic purposes)

Also, what was that "420 smoke weed" song from the earlier video? I know the Snoop song its from, but I can't find that silly remix anywhere on the internet, and I don't even know what to search for. :cheeky:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Apparently my headphones are broken? I could still hear gunshots, but not defusing or people talking. Like the tweeter broke but not the bass? And it must have been intermittent too...

I don't feel so bad about that Cache round, though. Not my fault! :( Need to buy new headphones I guess.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I swapped to my speakers and I could hear everything, so I think its the headphones. I'll need to get some new ones so I can use my mic again though.

I'll try turning off 5.1 just in case, but I think I was set to stereo, thanks. If that doesn't work I'll run by Fry's and pick up some new ones. I have the worst luck with headphones.

Yeah, at least I'll make the goonman highlight reel again. :cheeky:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

astr0man posted:

Also, you actually saw the CT defusing when you started to move out of the site to avoid the bomb blast.

Its easy to say that in retrospect when the person is outlined in blue and you can see them through walls. There's a reason why the game gives you audio clues, and my heaphones decided to spontaneously drop the treble.

Also, I'm new. But yeah, thanks. I'll be more careful watching smoke'd sites.

Again, there WAS another T alive. So you can't even put this all on me. He had working heaphones!

Babyface Mingo posted:

rofl and onto the list of "people to last pick" zaphod goes, right next to pengy and mcvey.

Oh I was already on that list, sir :cheeky:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 28, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CS-GO or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Aug

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

I've got you beat, I'm so bad that the game gave me a rank before I even had 10 wins. Silver IV for me, I get to try hard to do smart buys while my team will call "eco" and buy MP9s and armor without helm.

How is that really bad? I took 10 wins to get Silver III, and some other goon said he was like Silver I.

I'm up to Silver Elite Master Sergeant or whatever after just like 20-30 wins though, so I guess I'm learning.

Lower silver is kinda frustrating because your teams are so inconsistent, even if you play well you may loose. But you should also get tons of kills and rank up fast.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Casull posted:

After getting in some MM practice and finally getting my rank (Silver II, I'm surprised it's not Silver I) I joined the last goonpug, was dead last on the scoreboard again, but managed to get nine kills (previous record: three.) I call that a good day.

I'm Silver Elite Master or whatever and I usually dick up goonmans and am lucky to get like five kills, so you're doing great.

I need to practice more. :smith: At least I have a fancy new headset now so I can hear things.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hawker you're loving hilarious. You spend :10bux: to come on this forum just to defend yourself; then you call us all asshats and tells us how wrong we are and how pro you really are, but also sorry about that just wanna be friends and nice playing with y'all! :tipshat:

Theresa Frontpage posted:

Keep playing goonmans! I was always bottom frag when I started but by now I feel like I actually make some decent shots/calls and don't live at the bottom of the scoreboard for the whole game. Goonmans are a great way to get your skill up, playing with more-skilled players without sending your MM rank into the toilet. Try playing nothing but goonmans for a few days and then playing in MM with other silver 1-4s. You'll feel like superman and hawkeye had an awesome gay baby. You'll see other players and they'll spray and fumble and bounce the occasional round off your chest armor while you effortlessly 1shot their face, because they're standing 10 feet away, and think "whoa, was CS always this easy?". Then you'll go back to goonmans and get your spirit crushed by insanely skilled people to start the rebuilding process again. But this time you'll get a few more frags.

Yeah this is pretty much my exact experience. I keep ping ponging between completely dominating MM games and having to play team coach to people who have no sense of team play or strategy, and then I go play goonmans and get completely dominated. I need the difference between the two to even out a bit though; but that just takes time and practice (and rankups).

a slime posted:

Basically none of us should have admin

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 18, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

What non-MM maps are likely to show up in goonmans?

The last one I did we played some crazy poo poo I've never heard of before and got promptly spanked even harder than I normally do. I have a hard enough time keeping up when I know the callouts, but if its entirely new geometry I'm hosed. I don't mind having to do some homework, I just need a head's up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hawker posted:

cache, mill, seasonal?

Shush you. I'm asking one of the adults.

Cache is MM and that list doesn't include the maps I was talking about that I played before, so no.

That one in particular had some kinda Aztec tileset going on, with some underground canal that would push you faster. I think we played another before I haven't seen too, so I was just wondering what maps were likely to come up.

VVVV Thanks, that's perfect! It was de_contra_b2, and I've played de_toscan and a few others before that I didn't know. I'll walk through all of those a couple times.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 18, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hawker posted:

Cache is no longer MM.

Cobblestone and overpass are.

:doh:

Well it was extremely recently so the point is I've played it and am familiar with it, but thanks?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hawker posted:

If you want me to apologize for being a snowflake in your server, I refuse.

If you're gonna keep posting here just let it go and move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

http://steamcommunity.com/id/PresidentZaphod

I'm totally down for lovely silver goon feelgood action, hit me up

• Locked thread