Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Sophie pretty actively claimed that she and Albert decided to bring Coach along for strategic reasons, and nothing Coach did in South Pacific led me to believe they were wrong in doing so. Sophie's an unpopular winner, but she's far from the least popular winner I'm willing to defend.

Besides, she hated Jack & Jill :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Shakugan posted:

Oh please, Sandra is the ultimate Mr Magoo survivor.

Fabio would like a word with you.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

TheChad posted:

i will kill u irl

With a heart attack from Outback Steakhouse :allears:

Sandra is a loyal and loving patron. Or was it Ponderosa?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I've never been to either so I honestly don't know the difference.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Michelle is still my favorite Survivor of all time. I actually still have her on Facebook, and she's a total sweetheart.

I also think Parvati's win was incredible, especially since she was so underrated going into Micronesia.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
They used to recap on Thanksgiving in the fall season I think. Might have stopped after the switch to Wednesdays.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
So, the CBS website has a show-length preview special up. It's mostly your blech survivor introductions with Jeff injecting pointless commentary, but there happened to be something interesting!!

What the spoiler is related to: HII

There are HIIs spread out as usual pre-merge, but post-merge they throw out a brand new HII with rules similar to Yul's in Cook Islands. That is, the HII can be whipped out after the votes are read.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
So wait. The idiot idol can totally be flushed with a vote split, right? It's trickier, especially if the non-easter-egg winners don't know about the fourth idol. You'd need the person holding it to be really screwed in the numbers, but if the cast knows it's a Yul idol, I don't think it would be absurd for people to pull a temporary flip to get rid of the drat thing.

Also! If anybody finds out, it's a huge loving target. If the holder is sitting pretty in a majority alliance, it could easily go unused like Yul's. But if a minority alliance gets it, they can just use it for whoever was just sent home to knock out majority person of their choice, can't they? In that case it's like a normal idol, just easier to use.

Survivors these days are loving cutthroat, if not clever. They wouldn't tolerate the superidol being around if they find out it exists.

And then the producers will plant another one. :cry:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

blue squares posted:

Puzzle is one of those words that when you say it out loud over and over sounds bizarre and then you stop being able to pronounce it properly. Go ahead, try it.

How about "bag of puzzle pieces?"

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Is that the same girl whose amazing undergraduate education in psychology will give her a game-breaking edge? :v:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Oh, god. Game of Thrones Survivor is such an amazing concept I'm amazed a neckbeard from Sucks hasn't milked it to death by now.

Tribe Lannisport wins all the early challenges. It's frustrating for them because they really want to vote Tyrion out.

Tribe Dragonstone begins by voting out Jon Arryn, the old cocksucker who takes an early leadership role. Robert Baratheon goes next, as he is fat and useless in challenges. Arya is automatically eliminated for straight up disappearing into the woods, leading to Ned's blindside after he subtly threatens Joffrey for being blond.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm honestly shocked that the entire internet isn't in on Ned Stark. There have been at least three bigger spoilers since then anyway. Also, Snape kills Dumbledore.

Anyway, I liked Erik. If he hadnt shriveled up and died he could have won, since Cochran and Dawn were such assholes and he had friends on the jury. Erik is what Sandra would have looked like had she not won (twice).

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I love California, but it's kind of irritating that I can probably :files: Survivor before it even airs.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Robnoxious posted:

Need a stream Calipal?

Say what?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Robnoxious posted:

Need a stream Calipal?

:allears:

A bit late, but hell. If they recruit contestants from our hippie markets, we deserve timely Survivor!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I can only give shits about Brawn at this point. I'll put it up to opinion:

Do we like Woo, who has gotten a couple of reasonable confessionals and character building moments, or Vin Diesel, who's getting sold over the top? I can't tell if Woo will be a boring mid-season boot or a powerful dark horse. Likewise, I can't tell if Vin Diesel will go all Shamar, or turn into Ressel 2.0.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Nicaragua was diverse enough that they had a strong minority alliance and, erm, that worked out just splendidly.

I will be as Yau-Man and continue my search for the straightest possible arrow :allears:

Actually...I hate to say it, but Fiji worked out well like that. They cast it like Cook Islands, but switched up tribe divisions when a white girl dropped out before the game started, leaving the show with the horrible have/have-not twist they thought they needed. Without that stupid loving twist, that was actually a fantastic cast.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I was with you right up until the RC reference. She is actually a racist jerk in real life.

I will never understand why people think her boobs and that obnoxious laugh redeem her.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
This season is glorious. I still can't get over a smarty-pants beauty psych major NOT KNOWING HOW loving CHICKENS.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Well, thanks to tribe swap it's basically all up for grabs. Do y'all think it's 2 tribes or what?

Brains: scattered, with a possible twosome making big moves.

Brawn: Cliffy and Woo GO GO GO! Otherwise, decimated.

Beauty: who the gently caress is Kelly?

This season is seriously the best since Cook Islands.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
To be fair, half of the Brawn tribe wasn't really throwing it.

Except for Cliff :v:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Fiji was not good pre-merge, but amazing post-merge.

Cook Islands players all being better in other seasons is a loving joke, with one notable exception. I still recommend it; it's sort of the turning point between old Survivor and new Survivor.

Amazon is a solid rec though, as is Marquesas. Honestly, short of Thailand, you're not going to find anything terrible pre-Nicaragua.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

SweetJahasus posted:

Nicaragua is a fantastic season to watch if you love hating the absolute gently caress out of people. Jane, Chase, Sash, Na'Onka, Holly, Benry, Purple Kelly, Shannon, Jimmy T....holy poo poo I just named 9/20 of the entire cast which are horrible horrible horrible to watch. Just reflecting back on Nicaragua makes me loathe that period in Survivor. The only bright points were Marty being the only person with a clue and (endgame spoiler) Fabio derping his way to the win.

The best part of that entire season was Fabio peeing in the pool.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
My real question is whether Tony's actually flipped, or if he just took advantage of an opportunity to get rid of Uncle Cliffy.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

What's the difference in the eyes of his tribemates? There's no difference.

SATC Goat nailed it here, too. There's a pretty big difference between going back to the lunkheads to whittle away at the pretties, versus continuing to knock out Lindsay and Woo, especially since, as has been said, Woo was theoretically on board with voting Cliff out last time.

Honestly, Tony reminds me a lot of Ressel, just with less contempt towards other people.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

LeJackal posted:

If you want to invest that kind of emotion into somebody that you know almost nothing about and will never meet, that is fine. Enjoy it.

Just stop trying to understand things. It's embarrassing for all of us.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

STAC Goat posted:

Even the Brawn split seemed kind of fortuitous. If Sarah had been with that big group instead of Trish I really don't think she would have turned on Cliff there. She may have been suckered into all that stuff before but I think she would have seen the value in the power alliance for the next few rounds while Trish was obviously just super emotional. I could be wrong, though.

Yep. I like the remaining brainies, but I was secretly hoping to see them go to tribal just to see where Sarah would fall. She was foremost in my mind watching the episode since without the Beauty implosion, she's the kingmaker on that tribe.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Engineering prof is a bad example, but a lawyer, programmer, business executive, or MLB general manager wouldn't necessarily be expected to do puzzles well. Auto mechanics should ace them.

Also, I think the composition of the Brains tribe was really flawed. They had positions of prestige (lawyer! poker player!), but those professions don't necessarily require you to be smart. I was honestly floored that their average IQ was so low. Since IQ tests spatial reasoning ability, a brainy tribe with a high average IQ really should be good at those stupid goddamn puzzles.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

blue squares posted:

IQ is pretty pointless and widely misunderstood anyway

It's a metric, and it seems to be very reliable and predictive of a whole bunch of stuff. It's just too bad that they haven't renamed it; intelligence theory has gone a long, long way since the IQ test was devised. It's worth noting that you'll never ever take a legit "IQ test;" look at the comparison chart on the right for the major ones and how they differ between individuals.

It's highly tenuous, but it's not psudoscience. Probst was right on when he said that there needs to be a lower bound on the IQ they'll allow for contestants, which is part of why I thought the average for Brains sounded low. Now I just want to know what the lower bound is and, out of schadenfreudian curiosity, who the gently caress was it in South Pacific, and HOW stupid ARE they? Because I'm a meanie monster.

That said, anybody who ever brags about their IQ either has Asperger's, or has no idea what they're talking about.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Yes, but the comedy options are pretty fabulous.

This proves that my brain has completely erased One World from its memory banks in self-preservation.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Fast Luck posted:

I assume he does but maybe someone can confirm, does Rob C have some sort of deal with CBS that all the boots have to go on his show?

There's always been a standard press junket that Survivors go through the day after their boot airs. I'd assume that Rob got his podcast added to that list, especially since those interviews are limited to 15 minutes or so.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Fast Luck posted:

Well, this is relevant immediately as soon as it comes time to make a boot. If they're wise to what's going on they should boot Alexis right?

They are wise to what's going on. Alexis spilled the beans, and they seem to be including Morgan.

I think they boot Alexis and Sarah when given the chance. If they do, they're in a fantastic position.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
You know, I hate saying it, but I really liked Palau.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Why do you hate saying it? Palau's pretty well-regarded. Can't think of many gripes fans would have about it, aside from Jonathan and Wanda getting screwed.

People think it's boring, and they further don't like Guatemala with Bobby Jon doing nothing and Steph being terrible.

But I love the characters, and I love the WWII flavor. Also, Jenn :(

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

BGrifter posted:

I dislike those two, especially the latter who might be the single most overrated Survivor in the history of the show...

I didn't dislike them. That returnee season was kind of a drag, but most overrated Survivor in history? I actually think ~~~Stephenie~~~ got railroaded by one or two of the actual most overrated Survivors in history in HvV, James and Amanda, who were actually decent on China, but terrible in the outings after that.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Honestly, I'm not pulling for anybody except perhaps Spencer and Woo, and I'll happily admit that I don't have great reasons for that beyond just liking them for some reason.

I like that this season is an epic clusterfuck between lots of players who aren't terrible. We haven't Sen anything like this in years.

Edit: yeah, the criticism about minorities is precisely why they cast Cook Islands and Fiji the way they did.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

TheChad posted:

Nah I think Sarah seems really really stupid.

REALLY stupid.
:)

TheChad posted:

Nah I think Sarah seems really really stupid.

REALLY stupid.
:)

That's why she's a cop :v:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
So what you're saying is that she's related to Sarah Jessica Parker.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Holy poo poo! I get to livepost this week!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Kass...:cripes:

• Locked thread