Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
Yep, but it's still far more crappy endings than satisfying ones.

The jury is almost always bitter and mitigating that is the toughest obstacle of the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

Propaganda Machine posted:

There are HIIs spread out as usual pre-merge, but post-merge they throw out a brand new HII with rules similar to Yul's in Cook Islands. That is, the HII can be whipped out after the votes are read.

Why don't they just call the show easter egg hunter.

I mean there's so many other ways they could do things. I have to believe that there's no real thought towards "the game" and about 95% of what they come up with is just how they want to film stuff.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^
That was a pretty decent premiere. Not one of the best ever to me, but J'tai and Garret's social game face-off was bonkers at least. I did kind of want Garret to stay though just because his weirdness is more original whereas the rice stuff no one even really got mad. The show will give them more food anyway, and they all knew it.

blue squares posted:

And it's right in the middle of camp. Because when people scheme, they do it there, not in the jungle or by the ocean.

Yeah it's literally on the back of the shelter. It's the best worst idea someone's had on Survivor in ages.

Spiky Ooze fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 28, 2014

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

Ghostpilot posted:

The real question is this: they're not beauties, they certainly don't have brawn, and they haven't shown any brains...so what are they, really?

I think it's just really hard to find nerds that have any... fortitude. You can't be all "ugh sunlight, I'm dying" or "wow are people judging me?" in a game like this. You have to be a brick wall with a decent fake personality that people like.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

Shakugan posted:

I don't think this is the case. Go to a decent university, look at the doctoral students and pick people who seem relatively normal and likeable. You're essentially guaranteed to get a group of incredibly smart (and capable), but likeable people.

But that's just finding upper crust type smart people. There's been a fair amount of those people on, and they're usually incredibly boring contestants. Or occasionally elitist creeps.

In keeping with the stereotype season they definitely wanted awkward nerds. At the same time if you're a nerd you should be smart enough to look at the history of this show and realize your biggest competition isn't other players. It's your nerdy self and you had better find a way to sublimate it before the show kicks off.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

BGrifter posted:

On RHAP Rob C mentioned they wouldn't let someone legit starve till it was dangerous or something. They'd offer some sort of trade for more rice like giving up a reward or dismantling their shelter.

Yeah I've heard this said in many variations from Survivor people. The producers have no interest in people starving. They want people active, scrambling and playing hard in the competitions. The only really extreme nature element left is you are sleeping out there, in the rain and bugs.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

BGrifter posted:

Oh no question he was a flawed player. I was just surprised he was a lot more strategically coherent than I would have guessed from watching the episode.

I think the trouble with card players is they just want to sit on their butts and have the game go in order. That's literally what move Garret made at camp. Jean-Robert was terrible as well.

Survivor is more like playing football (or physical sports in general), poker, chess, and politics at the same time. Knowing just poker is like being one of the nerdy guys that gets on and knows just the chess aspects. To really be good you need such a complex and open-ended set of abilities.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

SmokinDan posted:

Speaking of past season I've now watched H v V, Tocantins and China and have watched the past four current seasons.

What should I catch up on now?

Depends what you want to see. People will love/hate a season for an endless variety of personal reasons.

I'd go with Exile Island, Fans Versus Favorites, and Vanuatu as entertaining seasons with very memorable players.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

CapnAndy posted:

It got buried in the awesome second half of the episode, but not enforcing gender parity on that reward challenge was some dumb bullshit. It just wasn't fair that the orange tribe had to put a girl on the pole all three rounds, nor was it at all surprising when they couldn't handle dudes with at least 50 pounds on them trying to muscle them around.

Isn't that par for the course of the silly school fun fair type stuff they always do? I've never really been into the challenges on Survivor. They spend so much episode time on them and the best you're going to get is someone making a crack, or someone eating pizza on the sidelines.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

GuavaMoment posted:

Gabon. The season that keeps getting better the more terrible other Survivor seasons you watch! We all hated it when it was on, but look back on it with fond memories now.

I'll just rewatch it in gifs.

The actual season has a lot of nasty stuff. The Onion alliance? Racism? Corrinne? Sugar. Don't even get me started on Sugar. Or that there's someone in the end who had about four speaking lines the whole season.

The location was neato though.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

CapnAndy posted:

Hatch is sorta like Team Guido in Amazing Race -- defined the game and should never be discounted for doing so, but hopelessly outclassed when brought back to compete against a field full of people who had taken their revolutionary play as a starting point, competed against other people who were doing the same thing, and improved on it.

I don't think he's outclassed, he's just one of those people who says so much in confessionals that there's no way he's ever reducing his threat level in this game again.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

I hate that song but this is pretty good.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^
This is why I say there's so much random luck involved in winning.

At least it's funny though.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^
This might be the lamest finale. Only hope is that Tony or Kass goes off the deep end talking to jurors.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^
Awesome win Woo!

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^
I thought Jeff was going to pimp his children's books for a minute.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^
Fabio versus Russell Hantz showdown coming up

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^
Tony bombed in my opinion. He's got the strategy votes of Spencer and Kass, but if he loses he deserves it on that for not being ready with a jury strategy.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

Ghostpilot posted:

I don't like him, but Tony played a great game (with Woo pulling a Colby) but that particular bit with the idol taints it for me.

Yeah I'm just indifferent to the sticking your hand in a hobbit hole to win gameplay in general at this point. It's been done to death. Retiring the idols for good would be what I'd like to see (but CBS loves how it makes those players give cockier storyline interviews so they won't listen.)

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

Tide posted:

Part of me thinks Survivor is just a flawed game.

It's just a random winner game show, in reality. It has a slick edit of being something strategic and under the player's thumbs when it isn't, which is I guess the general reality TV formula. Make a story out of a cheap and silly collection of gimmicks. Awesome payout for the producers because it gets a consistent fanbase.

I guess the pro to that is you really don't ever know what will happen if you don't have spoilers, so at least it's unpredictable.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^
I'm actually pretty pleased about the BvW2 thing. It makes for a complex social game out of the gate, not as much laying around on the beach.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

Aerox posted:

VICE just posted a story about Shane Powers having a drunk emotional breakdown. It includes nude photos.

:nws: http://www.vice.com/read/i-photographed-a-former-survivor-contestant-at-the-lowest-point-in-his-life :nws:

I like Shane but that's pretty much appalling.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

The Lord Bude posted:

I haven't been able to stand her since her disgusting tirade of poo poo that she splattered all over the internet towards Dawn after Fransatsquatch got voted off Caramoan. She was incredibly nasty and incredibly personal over an event in a season she had no part in, and she used her paid position as a writer on a reality TV blog site to help her do it.

Well what's wrong with Eliza having an opinion?

It's fun to hear anyone's actual opinion on something. One of the reasons I barely keep up with something like RHAP or their twitters is it's just so much fake butt kissing being exchanged most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^
God drat you casting.

• Locked thread