Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
A while back I read a halfway decent fan comic called Dragonball Z Elsewhere that was about Yamcha, the series' favorite punching bag. After extensive Googling and Archive.org'ing, I could only find a French translation of it. I love stuff like this and if I could read moon runes I'd probably explode over all the doujinshi available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
It's no "Cha La Head Cha La" but this isn't bad. Japanese DBZ music is really loving cool and didn't need to be replaced with some synth crap for the English dub, but Faulconer should be rewarded for doing his best.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Are the only Dragonball scans around STILL the ugly, badly-edited, mirror-flipped scans from 1998? Haven't there been a couple VIZ English releases and re-releases?

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Best battle? Goku vs. Heart Disease.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

jivjov posted:

I'm phone posting so I can't run a currency conversion right now, but that sounds about right for a new release on the 360. Are new games normally cheaper in £?
Yeah but it'll end up in the bargain bin within two months like most games based on existing franchises.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Super Saiyan 5 Gohan.
You mean... Dragonball AF was right!? :derp:

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

WickedHate posted:

When DB copied western comics we ended up with GT, going on and on with one protagonist till nothing made sense anymore. Unfortunately, universe expansion like his is more fanfiction territory-Heroes does it well, but it'd be nice to get more plot concerning the wider world too. Maybe a couple more spin offs or some one shots, or a real sequel instead of an inferior copy.
They seem to planning for more shenanigans after the reveal of multiple universes in Battle of Gods. Some of it might not even have Goku in everything!

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Here's a better scenario for the Android saga: Goku dies killing Freeza, Gohan becomes the main character, the androids show up and they're about third- or fourth-form Freeza strong. (The Garlic Jr. filler saga tried to do this, and the lack of Goku saving is the day is the only good thing about it.) Now Gohan and Vegeta have to race to unlock the transformation that they know is possible but can't seem to obtain while fighting unskilled but stronger/faster opponents. Alternatively, Gero and Fat Clown remain the villains but are near impossible to beat due to their energy absorbing technology that renders ki attacks mostly worthless and puts them on par with the planet-destroying behemoths. Cell can still show up if the author feels like it.

Granted, none of this could have happened had it been written by Akira "Make this poo poo up as I go along" Toriyama, but as long as I'm writing fanfiction it ought to be good fanfiction.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Mister Roboto posted:

The real reason is that it's a fighting manga and making weaker villains does not work: Gero was weaker than the Saiyans and isn't remembered as nearly as big a threat.
Jojo managed to avoid this; probably none of the succeeding villains were as powerful as Cars but they're all dangerous in their own ways. It helps that Araki is the most creative man on the planet, though, so he always made it interesting and not just a test of strength.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

crankdatbatman posted:

One of my favorite things in DBZ Abridged is after Zarbon piledrives Vegeta into the ground at the end of their first fight. Vegeta gets out of the lake and chokes out "WHY DID I EXPLODE?". The little jokes like that are hilarious to me.

I've never seen Cooler's Revenge, but his fifth form kind of irks me. It's established that Freeza's fourth form is his 'true' form, right? Unlike the rest of the villains in DBZ, it's established Freeza's transformations are power downs instead of power ups. So why does Cooler have a fifth form that is more powerful than his fourth? Is he basically a super Cooler in the fifth form? I'm asking because I've never seen it and maybe they explain it in the movie, but that tidbit never really sat well with me since it's a direct contradiction to Freeza's tranformations.
The DBZ movies have really, really bad writing.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Steve Jorbs posted:

If it was Super Buu's human extinction attack then why were Tien and Chiaotzu targeted???
It probably killed all the talking dinosaurs and animal-headed people and sentient robots, too, though Toriyama had forgotten them long ago.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

a cartoon duck posted:

Watch the original dub, and whenever something new happens on Namek watch all over again from the beginning of DBZ. Gets you the true experience.
Read Curtis Hoffmann’s Dragonball manga chapter summaries off a local BBS, years before the series was ever shown on Cartoon Network, for the true experience. :colbert:

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

I'm so glad Mr. Satan was able to save the world from Piccolo's evil.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Cha La Head Cha La is honestly the best song ever made.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

crankdatbatman posted:

I guess the Faulconer love is a nostalgia trip for people who grew up with it. I grew up with it, but I still don't like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ondq9zKummI

This for instance, it's super rocky then turns into this weird clown music. That's not intimidating or exciting, it's goofy. Also there are elements that make it sound like it came from a playstation or something.

That's the thing that always struck me with the Faulconer soundtrack. It sounds like something some guy came up with off his laptop, and not in the EDM way, in the "make this soundtrack on a strict budget" way. The Japanese soundtrack may have been super brassy, but it just came off as more dramatic and lavish than the dub's.

Also it's a shame Dragon Ball didn't get as much attention as DBZ. It's a better story and a much better dub.
This song was used in VGCW and is therefore legit.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Kild posted:

Wasnt that just a dumb rumor
I hear TFS planned to end the series after Raditz, after Vegeta, after Ginyu, after Freeza, after Dr. Gero, and after the three androids!

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Are we still posting origin stories? I was reading Curtis Hoffmann’s Dragonball manga chapter summaries off a local BBS years before the series was ever shown on Cartoon Network, a time when only turbonnerds cared about those weird foreign cartoons.

The original DB manga is still freakin' rad.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Spiritus Nox posted:

Pfft. True maturity is being able to hold onto the simple pleasures.
"When I was a child, I was afraid people would laugh at my animés. As an adult I straight up tell every ho that Goku is the number one person in my life and that nothing matters more than my Chinese fight man cartoons." -- C. S. Lewis

Soulcleaver fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 9, 2014

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Ranma 1/2 was my first foreigner cartoon so by the time Tenchi Muyo came along I recognized it for the derivative garage it was. That harem poo poo was everywhere in the late 90s.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Did I just hear someone talking poo poo about goku

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

BlitzBlast posted:

Oh my god why are so many of my posts in this thread berating people about DBZ. What am I doing with my life.
There is no greater calling than arguing on the internet about which fictional character could beat who in a fight.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Babe Magnet posted:

He also has one where he punches the poo poo out of a bus.
But does he ever get his driver's license?

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
It could be like how they handle the tournament in every single King of Fighters game: Mid-tier at best warriors are the only ones who bother with the finals because the strongest guys are elsewhere fighting some badass evil overlord/strange magical entity. Maybe Tapion or Freeza's gonna win this and get a free wish because everyone else is busy trying to take down the hyper-powered VeGinyu.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

NikkolasKing posted:

So I have been hearing a lot of poo poo about Xenoverse but I had no interest in it until I learned there there is strong evidence Pan will be in it. She is not in enough games.
Have you heard of this anime called Dragonball GT

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
IN ENGLISH, PAL!

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Cmon, DBZ ain't hard to figure out. Here's an actual confusing time travel story for comparison:

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Kild posted:

Shenlong: Your wish has been granted.
Text: The worst wish in history. Now, despair begins.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Mordaedil posted:

I am just thanking my stars it appears nominally better than the last Bojack storyline. I mean, their faces are still distinguishable so far.

Hopefully it maintains at least that much consistency.
Never forget

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I think you're all forgetting the important thing: Who would win in a fight between Piccolo Daimaoh-era Goku and Stardust Crusaders Dio?

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Esroc posted:

Which means tech an old man cobbled together in a cave is somehow more advanced than what a Galaxy spanning empire controlled by the most powerful non-God in the Universe has at their disposal.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Testekill posted:

http://www.dragonball-multiverse.com/en/page-969.html

New Multiverse page, art is back to just marginally better than the Bojack special.

Dragonball Multiverse, by Tim Buckley

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Spiritus Nox posted:

New DBM is kind of interesting. Looks like Zen Buu's sneaking around surreptitiously giving people powerups/suggestions in their sleep. I wonder if this means fights like Goku/Freeza and Bra/Cold will actually have some tension to them - I'm tired of watching Goku win his fights in one blow.

DBM Comments posted:

Ah yes, Buu is being very liberal here =3 he is redistrubuting to all the poor souls, what a guy! He seems to have a lot more compassion than some of the heartless conservatives dwelling on this politically imbalanced site. As a liberal I must express my opinion, which I am so rightfully entitled to.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Every time you read the comments on something Dragonball related it's like jumping into a portal to 1997 internet.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Raxivace posted:

The DBZ Abridged guys understood this, and that is why their parody is a loving one, and not spiteful and mean like so many others that have already been forgotten.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Twiddy posted:

Man, why can't more authors follow Toriyama's method of using seemingly random and inane puns to name characters. As silly as the idea of naming an entire set of characters after vegetables might sound, it makes the names rather memorable.
The guy who does Jojo's Bizarre Adventure has you covered as far as ridiculous and wonderful character names goes. Can't think of any others, though.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I feel like we're a few posts away from political cartoons involving Super Saiyans.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Rirse posted:

What would SSJ9 Goku be, Cousin It from the Addams Family with glowing hair?

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Some Numbers posted:

Path to Power predicted Super Cyan almost 20 years early.
So did lovely fanart I saw on the anime web turnpike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Covok posted:

Y'all talk about this dragonball comic as if it were high art and not just a silly, stupid comic made to entertain kids and teenagers.

• Locked thread