Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Oxxidation posted:

You've got to do that quote justice.

"I'm sorry, I'm usually far more composed. I'm just a little bit :catstare: ABSOLUTELY LIVID. :catstare:"

I absolutely love the DBZ A and Kai's Freezer interpretation. The nail one major aspect of the character: he's pretty regal and polite until you piss him off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Blue Star posted:

The original Dragon Ball definitely has some iconic music. You already listed all of my favs, but one piece of background music I like is this. It's such a great showdown theme and it even gets played a couple of times in DBZ, like when Gohan faces down Cell.

I also like Shura-Iro No Senshi, which plays when King Kai is telling Goku about the history of the Saiyans and the Tuffles.

While we're on the subject of Bruce Faulconer music, my favs are:

Vegeta Gets Bean

Mr. Satan's theme, also called "Wrestling Rock with Lead"

Gohan's Innocence

and of course the Super Saiyan 3 theme

Switching gears to Dragon Ball vs DBZ, I have to admit I might like DB a bit more. And the parts of DBZ I like the most are the early stuff, the Saiyan Arc mostly. I think Dragon Ball had better fighting. People still fought primarily on the ground, and while they had mystical powers and superhuman abilities, they were still martial artists. There were different schools, different styles, different techniques. But in post-Freeza DBZ its mostly just flying at jet speed, powering up, throwing really big energy blasts at each other, etc.

To me, Gohans anger is one of the best Faulconer tracks, and I am not a fan of the dub score at all. Just how it starts off very quiet with the piano and then ramps up. I also love how it was used again here and there during the Boo saga.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

MooselanderII posted:

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted, but a recent interview with Akira Toriyama has been posted that reveals details about Goku's mother as well as his hopes for the next movie, if it's made. http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/episode-bardock-akira-toriyama-super-qa/

This was a pretty awesome interview.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

What would you guys say was your favorite fight through the series? Mine is still Goku vs Cell. I still watch it from time to time, subtitled though Kai is a close second.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

carry on then posted:

As a kid, Gohan vs Cell was amazing, at least up until everything goes south. Recently I did watch Goku vs Cell and really came to admire the pacing and animation of that segment.

I think that's what does it for me, in regards to Goku vs Cell. The moment Goku gets serious after the warm ups, and Trunks catches the tone of the battle immediately shifting, it's awesome. At this point, Cell knows that power wise, Goku couldn't beat him, but skill wise he is right up there. So he was enjoying the hell out of the fight.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Another one I enjoy is alternate Timeline Gohan vs the Androids. Even with one arm, he makes it interesting for a bit. And the resulting ssj transformation of Trunks was one of the more emotional moments of the series. Especially for just an animated special.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Prison Warden posted:

Rewatching Kai there are a few things from Z I find myself missing. The driving lessons filler, yeah, but other than that it's mostly little turns of phrase in the translation that stuck with me as a kid. Like, Vegeta saying Goku is "making sport of Nappa", little things like that. I know it's pretty much entirely nostalgia, though. There are a couple of great lines though. Freeza being increduclous when Vegeta shows up alive and says that he killed him and Vegeta replying "It didn't take!" Goku poo poo-talking Vegeta when he comes out the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, it's all great. I really like Cell's theme tune too.

It actually annoys me they still call him just Tien and never say Tien Shinhan like in the manga, though. You'd think the name I grew up with would stick with me.

I swear, there might have been one or two times in either Kai or the funi dub that they actually called him Tienshinhan. Or maybe I'm thinking of the DB dub by Funimation.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Prison Warden posted:

Yeah, but what I mean is that while people mostly call Goku Goku and Tien Tien, they do occasionally say Son Goku or Tien Shinhan in situations where using a full name would be appropriate, such as announcing them in the World Martial Arts tournament, or introductions and such. But in Kai they never say the full name even when it would be appropriate. I can kinda get not saying Son Goku or Son Gohan if you don't want kids to be confused by the Japanese naming order, but there's a scene in the saiyan saga where I think Krillin is listing off their allies and says "Yamcha, our friend Tien, Yajirobe," I'm pretty sure if you call a guy Tien all the time and call him Tienshinhan once kids' heads wont explode from confusion.

Then again, I can't recall if the ever call Dr Briefs and Mrs Briefs their name or say Bulma's surname in Kai either, so maybe they just want to avoid surnames entirely.

Yeah I think they call him by his full name in Dragonball. I think they even say Son Goku and Son Gohan too come to think of it. Huh. I guess they needed surnames for the Jackie Chun joke to work :v:

I did love the scene in Kai where he says I'm Son Goku when fighting Freeza after turning ssj. That was awesome. Minus that if I recall right, it's mostly the enemies that will actually call him Son Goku. IE Freeza post namek, the androids, or Cell.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

It's interesting he only got caught when making the Kai music. 20 years is a long time to get away with plagiarizing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0y5B7AMP1g

You can hear just the Kai examples at 8:47.

I hadn't realized it was THAT blatant, drat.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Prison Warden posted:

As soon as Goku goes Super Saiyan he utterly outclasses Freeza easily. Every step of the battle Goku is completely in control, and this is after he has been beat to hell by Freeza before transforming. The fight doesn't end because Goku ekes out a victory remember, Goku literally becomes so bored that Freeza is such a weakling that he just gives up fighting him. Even without getting any training in at all, I could see a fully rested Goku just beating the gently caress out of Freeza and his father as soon as they touched down.

Pretty much this. Especially in the original time line (where Goku died of the heart attack) he does defeat Cold and Freezer.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Testekill posted:

That's something that I don't get. Vegeta is already dead after failing to kill Buu by unleashing everything that he had and Gohan got poo poo-stomped. Why would Goku think that the kids would be able to take Buu? I mean, maybe let them start on something smaller there.

I actually don't mind this too much. Goku fought fat boo, had an idea of how strong the kids were, and the power boost that fusion would give them. He probably had an idea how how strong Gotenks would end up being, and they still had the room of spirit and time to use for training. If Goku had an idea of Buu transforming and becoming stronger happening, he would have probably done it himself. Remember when Goku goes to the lookout and Krillin says okay, go beat Buu, we know you can do it. Goku outright says, if Vegeta couldn't beat him, I can't either. He had no intention of using SSJ3 at that point. When he brings up fusion Piccolo figures out that's how Goku would have fought Buu, by fusing with either Vegeta or Gohan. That's how the kids even get brought into the discussion for fighting Buu.

There is also the point he made of, well if I kill Buu now, I'm still dead and will be back in the spirit world in less than 24 hours, Vegeta is gone, Gohan is gone, so these kids like it or not would be the future hope of the world. Let the living defend the living world. For someone who is always craving a good fight, it's an interesting take. Something changed with him during those 7 years.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

ChronoReverse posted:

Besides, it's not like Goku is 100% certain he'd be able to beat Buu by himself. Even later on when he really tried, Goku needed Vegeta to buy the time to build up full power (which failed but that's meta-knowledge).

But fusion gives such a huge boost that it would certainly exceed even his SSJ3 power. I don't think Goku could have predict how goofy Gotenks would be.

Well it was fat buu. Right before Goku starts fighting small buu he tells Vegeta he could have beaten the fat one but wanted the kids to step up. And then he saw Vegeta had already flown away and probably didn't hear a word he said. You're right though, since he had never actually done the technique he probably had no clue just how cocky and goofy Gotenks would end up being.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Sonata Mused posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NAzoe2Mjyo

Speaking of other Jump series, is anyone else excited for this?

Sweet mother of pearl, that looks like a lot of fun.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Disharmony posted:

Movie 10 shows the difference, since Gohan starts out in SSJ2 against Broly, then inexplicably switches to SSJ1 for the energy blast battle.

I think it would have been better design wise if teen Gohan's hair mirrored Future Gohan. Or hell, just have Gohan retain his hair style from the Cell saga. Then all the questions about SSJ1 or 2 would have been clear cut.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Much better-written shounen than Dragon Ball have had weak female casts. (looking at you, Rurouni Kenshin) DBZ's lack of female fighters isn't a huge problem for me.

We'll always have that time Eighteen broke Vegeta's arm. Come on guys, don't lie, it was the best thing ever.

Vegeta has cried like a bitch and eaten more dirt than Yamcha ever did.

Yea, that was definitely the "oh poo poo" moment in the series story wise.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

He could've absorbed Gotenks and it would have given him enough raw power to fight him on an even footing, then he could've absorbed Piccolo, gaining the edge that way because it makes him a much smarter fighter.

Or the other way around, maybe.

One thing I did like about the Piccolo absorption was now Buu knew how Gohan fought, since Piccolo had a great hand in his overall training. I thought that was a nice detail.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It would've been cool for that to occur in stages like that; Buu realises that he can overpower Gohan with his Gotenks absorption, but he doesn't necessarily know how to do it, so he absorbds Piccolo to gain his intelligence, understand how to use his new power and work out a strategy that allows him to win.

Of course, having Gohan lose because the villain knows everything his first teahcer knows would have had the side-effect of emphasising that the reason he lost is because he didn't keep up with his training!

Haha that's very true. Although Gohan did look pretty sound during that fight, not making the kind of mistakes he was against Dabura.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

this is the best dragon ball thing in the history of dragon balls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGdGJ1XXvTQ

but it is very misleading, the rest of GT is bad. this is probably the only good part.

Holy crap I thought DBZ Abridged was adding those lines in when they referenced that scene. Good lord.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

I always thought the whole fusing deal for Namekkians was weird. Piccolo and Kami made sense because they were once one individual. But for anyone else how the heck does that work? I like abridgeds handling of it, as an ability they shouldn't use but was going to abuse. You'd think after it becoming apparent that someone was killing everyone, all the warriors would have combined into 1 guy haha

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Steve Jorbs posted:

That's actually the origin of one of the characters in the Dragonball Multiverse fan comic.

Really? Man, I need to catch back up to that.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Seriously, guys, power levels are bullshit. I think my favourite part of the Cell saga is that there's nobody around to say, "well, 18 and 17 are like power level 80 million, and Cell is like power level 90 million, so when he absorbed them both it was a straight addition so Perfect Cell is now power level 250 million, there's no way our power level 100 million Goku could ever hope to beat him!" :v:

The numbers are utterly, utterly meaningless. Think of your favourite RPG, did the fact that the last boss had several dozen times your HP matter at all? That just made the fight to beat him longer, strategy and skill are still the driving forces behind achieving victory, not raw numbers.

This is one part I loved about the Cell saga. After training in the room of spirit and time, Goku & Gohan visit Karin. Karin has an idea of how powerful Cell is, and Goku wants to compare. Goku goes up to about half, and Karin guesses that he isn't even close. Goku had an idea that's the answer, but wanted to know. I like how there is no specific number or anything associated to it.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

Piccolo is a Namekian, and they're explicitly supposed to be really great at ki manipulation. It's not weird at all that he'd be able to match someone who's pure power, no skill like Freeza.

Not that it really matters anyways because Piccolo vs Freeza was a quick exchange where both sides were holding back.

Freeza explicitly says the spirit bomb could have killed him. It's actually completely unexplained how he survived, he just kind of did. Even he's surprised he lived.

I'd like to think the issue with the spirit bomb was what exactly Goku said: not enough life remaining for it to be truly effective. Even with the amount of energy he was able to pull, part of Freeza's tail got destroyed which is still impressive. Had the fight been on Earth, it might have worked.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

Where did this come from? Because Vegeta is pretty obvious evidence to the contrary.

Well that happens over time. Vegeta didn't give a crap that Gero blew up Bulma's car with Trunks in it. During the 7 year peace period he genuinely began to care about them. That probably started when future Trunks got killed by Cell and he flipped his lid

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Well, Bardock and Gine were kind of the Saiyan community's odd ducks (Gine more so if weren't for Bardock she would've been toasted a long time ago)

However King Vegeta showed to be kind of a decent father figure, I think.

Manga wise we're never shown how King Vegeta interacted with Vegeta, it was just anime right?

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

oh yeah you guys do realize the first new episode came out almost 3 days ago? Right? Right?

Did not know that at all. Awesome!

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DBZA Freeza is amazing. And it actually captures the essence of the character too. It's great.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Talking about super saiyajin for a second, is there anyone here that was a little bummed that young Trunks and Goten essentially no sold the ssj transformation? :D

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

surf rock posted:

Agreed. It's interesting that fine-tuned control of ki (being able to sense, lower/raise, or concentrate it) is virtually unheard-of to them. When your base power is already relatively overwhelming, why bother with the subtleties? The basics will suffice.

Well, just because Saiyans are born powerful doesn't mean that they automatically know martial arts or the basics of using their ki. It would make sense that children would have to train a little bit to learn how to use their natural powers. Once they've matured, though, the idea of training probably seems unnecessary since they already outclass 99% of their potential opponents.

By way of contrast, Goku was (1) naturally weak and therefore outclassed by most of his opponents, thereby requiring constant training to improve and (2) raised by people who valued training, rather than in the Saiyan culture.

Yup, there is a great quote Apollo Creed says near the end of Rocky 3 that describes this well. "You fight great, but I'm a great fighter." There is a real difference. Even power wise they are about equal or nearly equal, Goku is a fighting genius, and years of actually learning how to fight paid off.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Caros posted:

Keep in mind that Goku refuses to outright end the galaxy destroying Majin Buu, even after said monster has killed Vegeta and his son (or so he thought) because he wants to give the kids a chance to kill it. He chooses to do this even after Buu has blown up two separate heavily populated cities (Eh dragonballs will fix it.).

Well on the Buu thing, Goku wasn't exactly wrong. He never had any intention of using SSJ3 until he came across fat buu and needed to stall. That's why when he's at the lookout he tells Popo, Piccolo, and Krillin if Vegeta couldn't win, he couldn't win also. Hell his idea for beating Buu initially was to fuse with either Vegeta or Gohan which Piccolo quickly guessed. Goku's reasoning for not killing Buu was because if he's gone, Vegeta's gone, Gohan is gone, those 2 kids are it. Like it or not, they'd have to bear the responsibility. If he beat Buu and then some other threat shows up in the future, everyone was hosed. Plus fighting Buu, he probably had an idea of Buu's power and figured that the fusion technique would work. He seemed confident of that. Now if he had known fat buu would be absorbed by his evil side and become even stronger, and all the poo poo that happened due to that, he would have done the job himself right there.

At least the way the manga and Japanese version portrays it, it's more of a "I'm not even supposed to be here/the living defend their world." I can't recall how the dub set it up.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Namtab posted:

The dub set it up the same, he says at some point that if he'd made an effort at SS3 he could have beaten fat Buu, but then if some other poo poo came up he'd be too busy being dead to do anything about it.

Thinking about it, the poo poo with Gohan is probably a similar principle. Yeah it's a dick move for Goku to give cell the senzu bean, but at that point Gohan is stronger than goku. While Goku had no intention of dying there he wanted to know that Gohan could handle any future threats and he wanted Gohan to realise that he had surpassed his dad in strength.

I think my favorite part out of that whole situation was Goku asking Gohan, well you saw me fight Cell. Did you think it was beyond your ability? And the response was well no, but neither of you were serious right? Not even counting ssj2, Gohan at mastered super saiyajin was beyond his father to the point where he was waiting for Goku to get serious in the fight, where Goku was going all out against a seemingly invincible opponent. It's a pretty awesome moment.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

bobjr posted:

It's a shame no one else decided to learn the Kaio-ken.

Maybe Kaio thought they all had heart but not worthy of learning it. He did consider Son his greatest student.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Is there a link for this one? It sounds amazing.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Silynt posted:

It's been said before, but in a few years when they get to Gohan's explosion on DBZA it's going to be epic. All of that anger, but rewritten to be directed at Goku.

Agreed. With Piccolo and even Vegeta commenting more and more about Goku ever being around, the pay off is going to be great.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Genocyber posted:

Wasn't the whole thing with Androids 17 and 18 that they weren't stronger than the Z fighters; still quite powerful, but more that they couldn't tire and could not be sensed, making them nigh impossible to track.

Yea, they were quite a bit stronger, but not impossible to beat. Any of the saiyajins and Piccolo post ROSAT would have beaten the androids. Especially in a 1v1 fight.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Testekill posted:

The only problem with History of Trunks is that it's pretty dark so it would be kinda difficult to get humour out of it. I mean, if anyone can do it it's Team Fourstar but it'll still be tough.

I do love the History of Trunks. That's probably IMO the best one shot special Toei did for DBZ.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Zonekeeper posted:

Pretty much. No other family in the series has the problems Goku does in regard to that. Vegeta hugging Trunks and asking Piccolo what would happen to his soul after he died before going to blow himself up showed more love and humanity than anything Goku ever did, and Vegeta's the biggest rear end in a top hat in the show. Vegeta's sacrifice felt like an actual sacrifice. Goku's deaths amounted to "I'll hold him and you kill him" and "I didn't know where else to bring this explosive bug man. Sorry, King Kai!".

I don't know, Goku had a meaningful moment with Gohan before teleporting away with Cell. He tells him he's very proud of him, and says to tell Chichi he's sorry for being selfish all the time.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

I think people tend to forget that gap between between DB and DBZ where he was an always present husband and father. And his training fell behind because he wasn't too into it.

I think it's pretty simple. By the end of Z, Goku and the gang bring out the humanity in Vegeta, while over the years being around Vegeta brought out the saiyajin instincts in Goku. It's almost like a double turn in wrestling.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

That was absolutely glorious.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

Dende's healing ability doesn't replenish ki. He is literally a White Mage, and White Mages can't heal MP.

Haha that's a good point. Dende does heal Gohan after Super Boo beat the crap out of him but Buu mentions he's not as strong as when he first arrived after being healed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

Didn't Cell explicitly say that even he didn't know how he survived the explosion?

Pretty much. If I recall right, the original english dub made it seem that Cell had this grand plan. The actual dialogue though was Cell had no clue how he survived nor did he have any intention of things working out the way it did.

• Locked thread