Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Better yet: Super Buu yells at him to DODGE!

When buu absorbs Piccolo and becomes super rear end in a top hat should be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Parrotine posted:

I think people need to get off the circle-jerk abridged bandwagon a bit.

Yes, it's a funny take on DBZ, but pick it over the actual product? Are you kidding me?

I like abridged but I recognize what it is; a fun side venture, but definitely not a replacement over the bread-and-butter original.

Oh no someone disagreed with you, they must be wrong. :ohdear:

I actually do like Abriged over the official poo poo, because I don't think the official (anime) poo poo is very good.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Retcon posted:

That's interesting. I wonder if people would have reacted differently to DBZ if they had watched DB before. A lot of characters that are just support characters in DBZ like Roshi or Tien had a much larger role in Dragon Ball. I was pretty annoyed as a child when Tien went from "Goku's rival" to "Guy that shows up for fights but is ridiculously outclassed".

You mean in his second appearance?

In Dragonball.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Gildiss posted:

COOLER 2: THE RETURN OF COOLERS REVENGE – THE RECKONING

Is up on the TFS site. Get you some.

It is pretty good, not every joke works but its still works (overall) really well.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Kild posted:

Wasnt that just a dumb rumor

Yeah, they have said they have scripted up to Cell, but nothing about stopping there.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Vintimus Prime posted:

I don't know, Goku had a meaningful moment with Gohan before teleporting away with Cell. He tells him he's very proud of him, and says to tell Chichi he's sorry for being selfish all the time.

Yeah I wish that had more fallout especially when the Buu saga ends with him being a selfish manchild again. But I guess it shouldn't be surprising, Goku is a terrible family man, despite what the internet says about the the fixes the Japanese version does (somehow?).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Goku is a pretty negligent dad but if I'm not mistaken, he goes back to see his family even when he's focusing on Uub's training.

Basically, Goku doesn't entirely get the whole "father" business but it's been exaggerated for comedic effect. loving shocking, don't know why this is such a sticking point.

I think its dumb and not very funny. Though I don't remember it being a joke all that often, except in like Dragonball.

Except in DBZA, its an okay joke there, but its only slightly exaggerated there even.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I meant been exaggerated on the Internet. In the actual series it just seems kinda hosed.

The reason why it works in DBZA is that they push it just that little amount.

I guess I just don't see the exaggeration? I dunno, I think the weird explaining it away stuff is dumber.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Darko posted:

The Internet forgets about all the intervening years he spent with family, why Goku handled the Cell fight wrong (spending literal years straight training with his son and thinking of him as a fighter as opposed to a kid, which was the entire point of the sequence), and also takes GT as fact (which had Goku literally go off and train Uub for like 10 years or something as opposed to training him and popping back in to be with family).

We don't forget, they just aren't important, like no one says he spends literally no time with his family, just that he takes time off and abandons them really easily. At least three times for dumb as gently caress reasons. The end of the Frieza, Cell, and Buu sagas are it. Also I don't take GT as if I remember correctly GT actually makes it seem he comes back while I believe then end of DBZ has him literally saying "I am going to live in his village with him to train him" which is pretty cut and dry.

Hell If I remember correctly he spends less time with them over the series then without them. He is a huge douche.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ChronoReverse posted:

You do not remember correctly. It was literally listed out good grief.

Nah, I just did the math, I am correct. Even counting the chamber he spends more time dead/in space then at home.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

Reverting to Goku's old design and giving him makeup and red hair is about one of the least creative things in the show.

Plus while SS2 and 3 may not be creative, at least they followed a pattern that 4 just kind of ignored for some reason.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That is horribly pedantic.

Not argument falling apart or whatever you believe it to be.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

This movie is going to be awful.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It wasn't awesome the first time I saw it, or the second, so I am not sure why you believe the third time will be better.

Kind of sucks, Battle of the Gods wasn't bad, outside of the pointless Pilaf scenes.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 6, 2014

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah it seems really silly, but if the design is good I probably won't care much.

Also

It's actually a pretty cool fight if you don't watch the original cut of the anime.

Wait what? I was making a Cooler joke.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

I forget, did they give a reason why, in situations like that, Goku and Vegeta couldn't just do the dance again?

In Gt? I think they tried but they didn't have enough energy to do it again or something.

Also it is not like Buu, Vegetto played around for a specific purpose, to bait Buu into absorbing him.

Though I think Gogeta did too, something about negative energy or something, I don't really get it or care.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Rudoku posted:

No. They'll just edit it out like they did on BoG's trailer. Some animator at Toei really wants him to go Super again.

Well I get why they want as many super saiyans as possible, as that is probably the most well known thing about Dragonball Z.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

When was he losing to super buu?

I just remember that he got cocky and caught while distracted.

Also, where is the term "mystic" coming from?

He was getting his rear end kicked by Gobuu, until the fusion wore off.

Also Mystic is what he is called after the Old Kai powerup.

It is used in all forms of media I have seen, like games and such.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

There are people who are going to get a fighting game because it is based on a 20 year old Manga.

The line you draw for being pathetic is kind of arbitrary.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Xibanya posted:

The fact that Goku is trapped in a loveless marriage is kind of depressing when you think about it.

Goku does seem to like Chi Chi, although we don't ever really get them to interact that much.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Aurain posted:

Goku is kind of a prick to everyone who doesn't fight with him, really. He's an rear end in a top hat to Gohan quite often, he's pretty short with Goten. It's partly tough love, but he seems to do it inappropriately a lot of the time too. He seems to like Bulma way more than his wife. Then again, who doesn't like Bulma a lot more than Chi Chi?

I do kind of find it funny how he never went to King Kai or something to tell everyone that Majin Buu didn't murder Gohan so they don't have to worry about that and decided to just nap under a tree for the best part of a day.

I don't know how you get that, he barely interacts with Bulma either. I think he interacts with Chi Chi more than her.

In fact, if you aren't fighting with him, he barely acknowledges your existence.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Prison Warden posted:

Maybe in DBZ, but in Dragonball he and Bulma are pretty tight.
They are tight, but he doesn't treat her much differently than Krillin or Roshi.

Prison Warden posted:

Goku is a terrible father because he is an average saiyan. He doesn't really care about his brother, his wife is just some woman who lives in his house and cooks for him and his kids are just things he can train to become great warriors. Back on Vegeta Goku would have gave no shits about sending his kid in a space pod to another world, hit his head or no. Vegeta is like the only saiyan who actually cares about his family. Did Goku even give a gently caress when Buu turned Chi Chi into an egg and squished her? Vegeta's wife got slapped and he went so ballistic he became powerful enough to deck a god straight in the face.

To be fair Vegeta didn't give a gently caress when Buu ate Bulma either.

They are kind of arbitrary with what they care about. Like Goku freaks out a bit when he is getting owned by Frieza about what he will do to his family, but doesn't give a gently caress about Buu.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Tae posted:

No one remembers Vegeta's dumb thing because Goku did a dumber thing. Oh, that Goku always one-upping Vegeta.

Everyone remembers Vegeta's dumb thing but it is overshadowed by the fact the Android/Cell saga can also be called the Vegeta gets owned repeatedly saga.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Momomo posted:

You could also call it the Namek saga.

It's kind of weird to think about what his last significant win was. Wasn't it Pui Pui? That guy barely even counts as a fight. Before that was what, Android 19? and before that it was Zarbon? Vegeta never really got to do very much.

Nah Namek had him kicking the rear end of most of Freeza's men. Plus when he did get beaten, it was in situations where he was only fighting because he had too. He knew perfectly well he was gonna lose. The Androids and Cell both involve him running into situations he could have avoided and getting his rear end handed to him.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Well he legit believes he is stronger than the androids. He crushed 19 and assumed he was stronger than the rest. Though he actually does use trickery on Gero after beating 19.

I mean he can't sense their power, and he has finally achieved what is basically his life long dream.

He also legit believes he is stronger than Cell as Cell hides his power upon ascension for whatever reason he does that.

It all comes down to the fact Vegeta was familiar with the Ginyu force and Freeza, while he had no idea what to expect from the Androids and Cell.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 3, 2015

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

So I just got through the Cell saga on Xenoverse.

Did anyone else notice that when Gohan beats Cell, Yamcha exclaims "YEAH, I DID IT!"

You're a cheeky wee poo poo, Yamcha.

He is just celebrating the fact he didn't get Yamcha'd.

I think it is totally fair.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I am glad Gohan didn't become the main hero, I like him as the dude that is reluctant to fight and really isn't good in fight situations despite his massive potential.

Its like the only interesting quality he has.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don't know, whenever he fought he acted exactly like Goku because when fighting actually happened everyone always acted exactly the same. I mean its not like Gohan didn't get his focus in the Buu saga(he acted about how I expected Goku would have as well), it was just ultimately pointless.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Twiddy posted:

He was literally hyped up since the beginning of DBZ, which is where most people started watching the show. Like he was shown as stronger than Goku in the fight against Raditz. The fight against Cell was the culmination of a buildup since the story began for many people, it's disappointing that it just died off.

He was hyped up but he had his payoff so I don't particularly care what happened next.

They Great Saiyaman arc is about all you have left to do with the character really.

Trying to shoe him into the hero of the Buu arc was just dumb.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

There was no specific hero in the Buu saga.

Everyone just took turns being the guy who was gonna win for realsies.

I mean you had Gotenks, Gohan, Vegito, and Goku were all seen as potential saviors.

That arc was quite literally all over the place.

I am actually quite content with how it ended frankly.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Onmi posted:

To be fair he wasn't "Shoed in" as the hero if he were, he's more pushed out of the hero role because most of the arc is his training to unlock his full power. In the end every bit with the Old Kai etc. was just pointless filler.

Well I mean it was basically, "remember cell? Lets do that again."

No, no lets not. I would prefer Gotenks to that again.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Onmi posted:

Gotenks also reeked of wasted time. All that fusion training, the Super Saiyan 3, it pretty much amounted to another Buu power up.

Now granted, this is not the first time they did this. In Dragonball Tenshinhan trained hard for King Piccolo and got completely schooled by Drum.

I actually like that.

The heroes have plans they all fail, ending with the the first ever failure coming back to save the day.

It works man.

Hell every Dragon ball arc has several plans that fail hard, there are very few plans that actually work and its usually the heroes pulling poo poo out of their asses so complaining about Buu saga doing it seems weird.

Plus the heroes who actually win it are Hercule and Vegeta.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

i think at this point the ending to Z is done. There ain't no going back to that.

Which is fine because it sucked.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The next movie should be Cell gets brought back to life but goes legit.

Until he runs into Goku/Vegeta at a parent/teacher conference for his son Cell Jr.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Dear god I hope not.

Vegeta works as a punchline, not a hero.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Thyrork posted:

Heres hoping your wrong, because Vegeta deserves some time in the sun (or at least avenging his race). :sun:

Well probably but ROF looks awful so who cares.

I liked it better when it was just the Frieza saga.

Or Revenge of cooler.

Don't need to see it a third time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Sorry the truth bothers yall.

Battle of the Gods owned but this is a huge letdown.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Endorph posted:

you haven't even seen it yet man

I have seen it twice, three times depending on how you count the second cooler movie.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

lol you vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Thyrork posted:

For some reason i read that as a fused ss3 eats the tree of might and got an amusing mental image. :haw:

Well one piece of fruit is nothing to a SS3.

ALL of them however.......

• Locked thread