Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Mordaedil posted:

No scars and he's all green, like Piccolo.

Yamiccolo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

Which makes no sense since they were imprisoned by king kai and co ten thousand years before the series.

I don't read DBM and this just fanfiction, but Episode of Bardock did establish that Freezas race was terrorizing the universe before the sayians even evolved into being.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Call me a curmudgeon, but I don't like his new form.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I think they're trying to emulate Cooler's super transformation. It had a similar, dehumanizing effect.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hobo Siege posted:

Sure is Lavos in here.

How the hell'd he get like that?

Well, cooler did it. Maybe he learned the fifth transformation while in hell.

Yes, I know cooler is filler, but movies accept filler stuff, usually.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Raxivace posted:

I've never seen the Bojack movie before, but are these names for real? Gokua? Gohana?

Gokua is Kogu's japanese name. It's a pun, apparently, because you can merge it with other names of Bojack's crew to get the word "unjust" or something like that. Gohana is not.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

The Bojack movie is pretty alright, but not because Bojack and his gang are well-developed characters or anything. In fact, things kind of get into a lull after they show up. They're just dumb meat sacks for Gohan to punch. I don't know why they're getting this much attention.

While I don't read the comic, they are probably using those characters because their backstory is poorly defined and open so they can add in their own story without having to work around establish fact as much.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I don't know. I think Hirudegarn served his purpose: be Godzilla so Goku could fight Godzilla.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I knew I remember them doing that. That was back when they didn't want to commit to doing the whole series and even out-and-out said they didn't want to step on the toes of some other DBZA guys. I even remember doing a video saying they weren't doing the series.

Glad they went back on those words.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Neo_Crimson posted:

Masako and Vegeta-something-or-other.

What did Takahata and Kaiserneko do before DBZA?

Kaisernerko did a short-lived Lupin The Third abridged series.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Tae posted:

Takahata did G-Gundam.

Lani was a workhorse before DBZA took everything over. I think he put out a movie out as well.

Lani also had his own series before this, Yu Yu Hakasho abridged. He did both of the movies for that show.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Tae posted:

I remember Poltergeist report, what's the other one?

Didn't he also do the OVA?

WickedHate posted:

It's been forever, but I remember YYHA being at least as good as DBZA.

Yeah, it stinks he stopped doing it b/c it was pretty loving good.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Kild posted:

You got a link to it?

I don't see it. I guess I may have just imagined him doing the OVA.

If you meant the series in general, though, this is where you'll find what exists.

Covok
May 27, 2013

e X posted:

Bulma uses Dr.Gero's blueprints to upgrade herself with the same biotech 17 and 18 got and starts a fight with Goku. I'd watch it.

I mean if the premise of the fancomic is that there are multiple, different universe, then you could make a reason for anyone to be 1) superpowerful and 2) evil, if you tried. Honestly, since readers aren't reading for the story, you don't even have to try hard.

Covok
May 27, 2013

An immortal sayian would be a BIG deal. Literally, he could just kill himself multiple times and abuse zenkai until he is stronger than Beerus.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Twiddy posted:

I'm positive the only reason that nobody ever became immortal in DBZ proper was to avoid having to deal with the logistics of what the gently caress immortality even means.

In some interpretations, immortality simply means immunity to the tyranny of time. There are quite a few works of fiction where you can kill an immortal, but they just don't age.

Covok
May 27, 2013

How did they get Jaleel White to reprise his role?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

What is Jaleel White doing?

He was in Cee Lo Green's music video when Cee Lo Green was at the height of his popularity. It's not much, but it probably paid unlike this.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I think the Trunks chumping Freeza thing was to establish that the Androids were a HUGE threat as someone who could defeat Freeza could not defeat the Androids.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Also, I guess it should be said cyborg Freeza was not at 100% power judging by his appearance and possibly weakened as a result of his injuries.

Covok
May 27, 2013

To be fair, it's not preexisting tech level so much as it was innovation and the fact Earth knew something they didn't. Earthlings know alot about ki, potentially more than any other race established in the comic. The galaxy spanning super empire knows about power levels, but doesn't really get ki. They can use ki in a very limited way and they can measure it with tech, but they don't really get it. That's why Ginyu doesn't get Goku's body at all when he tries to use it. Dr.Gero has a better body of knowledge to work off. Then, he lucks out and discovers the secret to making infinite ki (that was the andriod's thing, right?) as well as a way to drain ki. So, he can make a much more powerful cyborg than the empire since ki is such a big deal.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Well, the reason given as to why humans become top dogs in the universe in that MMO is because sayians mated with humans so, 10,000 years later, all humans have a little sayian in them and can achieve the level of super sayian.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Any idea why Goku has a new symbol on his shirt?

Covok
May 27, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Traing under Weiss. New Master, New Symbol. Same as it always was.

I forgot that his symbol changed from Roshi to King Kai.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Beautiful Ninja posted:

This will only happen in an OVA where an overprotective Gohan confront's Pan's first boyfriend.

I would unironically watch that.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Prison Warden posted:

Just have the chaos emeralds summon a literal dragon, why not.

Wait, I need a source on this poo poo. That sounds loving great.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Weighted training armor kind of lost all purpose after a while, didn't it? Unless Bulma invents armor that weighs more than a planet, but can still be worn as clothing, they really wouldn't get anything from it, would they?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Pierson posted:

Wait if they're training under Whis in the new movie does that mean we're getting more Bills/Beers/Beerus?

Well, he and his assistant are on the movie poster.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Zedd posted:

Doesn't the dance have a required downtime/cooldown as well? I remember this coming up for Gotenks in DBZ.

Yeah, it does. It takes like an hour or so before you can fuse again. It's why Gohan had to save Goten and Trunks from Super Buu.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

Goten and Trunks messed up twice and they had to go through the cooldown. Goku and Vegeta aren't exempt because just because it's a movie. :colbert:

I think the evidence, as in what happened in the movie, points to a different answer. The 180 degree answer. Mirror image. Opposite. :colbert:

Covok
May 27, 2013

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

This is basically what I expected reading it, but sometimes what sounds terrible on paper works in execution.

It's basically the opposite of what I think we can all agree on with DBGT, which sounded pretty great on paper but was terrible in execution.

I don't know about that last statement: this sounds bad in concept and execution. Then again, I have a deadly allergic reaction to moe.

Covok
May 27, 2013

We're playing the messiah of the DBZ universe? Literally being summoned to the world by a wish from Shenron? This is starting to sound like mary-sue fanfiction.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

You already watch 10 times more anime than a normal human.

Yea, if you hang out on an anime subforum on the internet, you have watched loads more anime than is healthy. Let's be honest with ourselves here.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Squallege posted:

Thinking about it, all the Saiyan's technology was stolen right? What would a Saiyan scientist even do? Are they trying to create nuclear power by punching atoms and poo poo?

That is the most metal thing ever. I'd love to see that in action, unironically.

Sayian scientists: Discovering New Frontiers...Then Punching Them!

Covok
May 27, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Can't his wife annually blackmail Satan to the tune of 10 million dollars

The gently caress does he need a job for

He's probably REALLY bored. There are a lot of retirees who don't need to work anymore and are completely financially sound and safe, but choose to work because it gives them something to do everyday.

Covok
May 27, 2013

It's kind of funny that the third strongest being in the universe (innately) is outclassed by the fourth strongest being just because he is too busy studying to train.

Gohan turning Super Sayian might be a case of either Old Kai's magic wearing off, him attempting to get stronger despite the futility of it all, or the writers/animations forgetting super sayian Gohan doesn't work canonically. In reference to to the latter, remember, an entire character vanished simply because Toriyama forgot she existed.

Covok
May 27, 2013

It's just a fan comic, but, if you think about it, it could happen. Vegitio showed up for like 3 issues in a 40 volume manga he started writing 31 years ago and, honestly, didn't really do anything lasting in the overall plot. Sure, he's a fan favorite, but Akira Toriyama isn't, presumably, a fanboy.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Parrotine posted:

What is this clip from?

Gintama. It is a shonen series that has been running for a few years now though it's starting to wind down. It's distinguishing features are its self-deprecating humour, weak fourth wall, recognition of other shonen jump series, and good mix of gag humor and witty humor. It's actually one of my favorite shonen series. I'd recommend it if you're looking for a laugh. Like that clip is from an episode where Gintama helps a guy who makes a terrible manga called gintaman improve the comic by blatantly ripping everything off from DBZ without shame.

Covok
May 27, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

Which would be hilarious if not for that being the fate of a sizable number of Jump manga. To start as X and end up as "Dragonball but poo poo".

That is part of the joke. He has made jokes like that before. Like in this scene at around 2 minutes in (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15YyOi_DjWk) he just starts critiquing the rest of his team, who blatantly say they want to do a training arc, for being cliched and making fun of them for bringing up JUMP's slogan as its so outdated and saying Gintama can't pull it off because their show just isn't flashy enough to get away with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yeah, that's something I forgot to mention. It doesn't just do comedy well, it does battles and drama pretty well too. Actually, I tend to prefer their fights when they get serious because no one has special techniques or similar bullshit when their doing poo poo serious. When they are being silly, they might steal poo poo from other anime as a parody. So, it's just fight coregraphy and sword/martial arts all the way through the serious battles. To me, that's most entertaining then seeing a technique show-off. At the same time, they can do drama without it getting cringe worthy and, overall, they avoid the issue of those scenes feeling like they were written for a teenager. They tend to be sappy, but the good kind of sappy. Not like they are going to win an award for it, but it's entertaining.

AlternateNu posted:

Isn't one of his attacks literally a Kamehameha? I never watched Gintama, but all that poo poo comes out full force in the J-Star fighters.

I'm just going to leave this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhhnN2Nlo28

• Locked thread