Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I started reading DBM because of this thread.

I don't if I'd call it, like, legitimately good, but I certainly enjoy it in the same way I enjoyed DBZ back in the day.

EDIT: That is a good point. It is way better than a fan comic has any right being.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Darko posted:

I think we just assumed it was this really huge progression as kids.

I always figured the longer your Super Saiyan hair was, the more powerful the Super Saiyan you were. And Super Saiyan 3's had the LONGEST hair by a good margin.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tao's escape in that clip is the best thing.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

havenwaters posted:

There's a new DBZ Abridged Halloween Special. Celloween: A Flight Out of Cell

The last song at the end was so perfect.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Soulcleaver posted:

Cmon, DBZ ain't hard to figure out. Here's an actual confusing time travel story for comparison:

The only confusing thing about Primer is how a single film can have characters as boring and bland as Abe and Aaron, despite the fact that they're constantly trying to backstab each other through bullshit time travel shenanigans.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

Ash does learn, it's just that each season he is rebooted. He is doomed to be ten forever, never to win a major league, and never to catch them all.

It's rather tragic, I can't hate Ash when he is so completely a plaything. It is literally not Ash's fault that he is the way he is, the universe just will never let him succeed.

Ash is Endless Eight before Endless Eight.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I just want Frieza to see Kid Trunks and get scared out of his loving mind.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

sharktamer posted:

Immortality could actually make a saiyan weak as poo poo if it prevents them from getting injured.

That would be an amusing sidestory in something like DBM.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've never seen the Bojack movie before, but are these names for real? Gokua? Gohana?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I also liked Dr. Wheelo and The World's Strongest film.

Dr. Wheelo blew my mind as a little kid. "OH MY GOSH HOW COULD GOKU POSSIBLY FIGHT A GIANT ROBOT! WHY IS HIS BRAIN SO BIG?"

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I would prefer the original enemy of Dragon Ball to be revealed as the ultimate evil.

Just imagine this guy going toe to toe with Super Saiyans and the like.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Mordaedil posted:

Way to forget about Bulma who shot Goku.

Actually it was the gun that shot Goku. It just happened to be in Bulma's hand at the time. :colbert:

You see DBZ is actually anti-gun.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

HEY!

Bulma isn't useless! If she didn't invent time travel, tons of terrible poo poo would have happened.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

They really love their jabs at GT...

I never actually saw all of GT. One day I'll sit myself down and force myself to watch all of it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Mordaedil posted:

I hope one day someone will make an abridged version of GT, because the actual show is unwatchable.

The only thing I remember about GT really from the few episodes I saw is that the tone just felt weird. It wasn't just that it was odd to have a sequel to DBZ, but it felt like a sequel to DBZ from some other universe where everything is dark and bleak for no reason.

Maybe it was the lack of Toriyama, I don't know.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Actually, Goku drools...because he's just so hungry all the time.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Deki posted:

I will get this game if and only if I can make a Farmer-with-shotgun lookalike.

Super Saiyan Farmer-with-shotgun lookalike is what I want.

Try killing him NOW, Raditz!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Namtab posted:

Power levels are bullshit pseudoscience which is why only villains relied on them

This is why scouters exploding are such a cool image in the show.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Can we post POV shots seen from scouters now? They're pretty cool and I won't let anyone tell me otherwise.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I really hope this track suit means Gohan has become the world's corniest gym teacher or something.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Squallege posted:

poo poo, it's not like his Dad has like a poo poo ton of them around the house or a second Dad that can magically create clothes.

Hell I bet Yamcha still has a few laying around that would fit Gohan. It would even give him a way to contribute!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So DBM and BoG pretty much revived my interest in this silly franchise and reminded me why I love it so much. I've started rewatching the original Dragon Ball from the beginning as a result (And eventually will move onto Kai which I've never seen before, and then GT despite what people have warned me about).

One thing I find different now as a young adult is that I find myself actually wanting Jackie Chun to win the first World Martial Arts Tournament. His fear about Goku and Krillin losing interesting in fighting if they win now actually seems kind of prescient considering the galactic threats such as Raditz that would utterly destroy the planet in just a decade or two. Toriyama is infamous for making things up as he goes along, but thankfully it all kind of works.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Some Numbers posted:

Are you familiar with the works of Team Four Star?

Oh I watch DBZ Abridged too, but it isn't quite the same thing.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Can someone from the future please tell me when we get to the parts of DBM where Vegeto goes loving crazy and threatens to destroy all of the universes?

I really want to see that part.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Raditz's attacks being named after days of the week made no sense to me.

"DOUBLE SUNDAY!" "SATURDAY CRUSH!"

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm working my way through the early Rid Ribbon Army arc of the Dragon Ball anime, and it's pretty great. I love how the anime spends several episodes building Colonel Silver as this badass guy that could defeat anybody, and then when he finally fights Goku he gets taken down in classic comedic Toriyama fashion. "That kid kicks like a donkey!" might be my favorite line so far in the dub.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I thought the fights were pretty good, and in general thought the movie might be the best straight 100 or whatever minutes in the franchise.

The only scene I don't really like is Beerus eating sushi at the end.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Same with me as well. I mean I like when DBZ is serious too, but drat if I don't love that the entire Earth was almost destroyed just because Majin Buu wouldn't share his pudding.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Caros posted:

Universe 82, the one with the universal slow gas leak.

What does that make the WeeklyTubeShow universe then?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

* Getting killed by a Saibamen (the henchmen of Frieza's weakest henchmen).
* Losing his girlfriend to the guy who sicced said Saibamen on him.

This is the best dramatization of these facts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGrJCn2dr-c.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Pureauthor posted:

Man, though, I wish we got more Vegetto representation instead of Gogeta.

I hope we get Evil Vegetto AND Evil SS4 Gogeta myself.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Guys...what if....

What if inside the Hyperbolic Time Chamber is ACTUALLY THE OUTSIDE OF IT!!!???? :tinfoil:

Has Kami been lying to us this whole time!?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

IIRC Budokai 2 had that dumb mission where as Vegeta you had to survive against Kid Buu for 60 seconds. Well I actually KILLED Kid Buu before that 60 seconds was up...and the game said I failed the mission for that. :psyduck:

It seems to reason that Vegeta would still be alive for the rest of that minute after killing Kid Buu, but apparently not.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

You may have won the fight, but you inadvertently tanked the ratings by stealing gokus kill. The show ends before the epilogue can run.

If the game had told me exactly this, I would have been okay with it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'd like to think that Hercule could legitimately beat Yamcha in a fight.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Speaking of Toriyama making stuff up, is it generally agreed that at some point in the story Goku and Vegeta were supposed use the fusion dance against Buu?

It makes more sense that they would split up inside of him due to time running out then...uh....whatever the reason that Buu's innards undoing the Portara fusion was.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So how good of a game can we actually expect Xenoverse to be? I've been debating pre-ordering it, or just picking up the Budokai HD Collection instead.

Or playing that SNES RPG that sounds cool.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Endorph posted:

budokai 3 is a fun game but story mode is kinda boring and unlocking stuff can be a pain and once you have everything unlocked there isn't much to do, since there's no online play

I should say I played both B1 and B3 as a kid, so I'm well versed about story mode and flying around the world at an angle, haha. It is a lot of fun though, and competent enough as a fighter while also capturing DBZ fairly well.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

G Gundam is cool and awesome, and has Gundams that turn Super Saiyan just because.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Can I train under Farmer With Shotgun?

I mean the dude must be pretty tough. He killed Raditz: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myOz9NEvs-M

• Locked thread