Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Blue Star posted:

Krillin got his rear end kicked by General Blue,

But Goku almost got killed by him, too. He had to be saved by freaking Arale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Cornwind Evil posted:

Is it? Did it drop off in popularity or did the author decide it was time to wrap it up? I should catch up on it, I left off when they beat up the overwhelming villain by summoning Pac-Man.

It's getting really close to the manga. They probably don't want to pull a Bleach or Naruto with filler.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

One thing I forgot that Kai did amazingly compared to all other adaptations...the music. :allears:

Too bad the composer got caught ripping off a bunch of songs, including one from Terminator Salvation. They had to use old DbZ music after that.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Szmitten posted:

Conceptually, I enjoy the Garlic Jr saga for having a threat that CANNOT be solved by Goku showing up and giving everyone else a chance to shine and look competant. I feel like it gave Gohan a little bit of depth that foreshadowed his involvement in the Cell sagas.

Yeah but all that bullshit Piccolo did in the beginning was worthless when he ups and starts kicking Garlic's rear end all over the lookout. They should've had Krillin be the poo poo-wrecker.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

a cartoon duck posted:

Arale could've beaten Bills.

Truth. If Dr. Gero really wanted Goku dead, he would've stolen Senbei's blueprints. Or bought a Caramelman.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Mister Roboto posted:

Trunks beat Mecha-Frieza, not technically Frieza. There's conflicting sources as to if he was stronger as a cyborg or not. However, there's one bit of evidence: Goku beats him AND Cold apparently fairly easily in the unseen timeline when Trunks does not come back. Could argue that Goku got way stronger in those few months on Yadrat, I guess.

19 and Gero were probably pretty close. I use the metric that he was able to hold back the team while 19 beat on Goku, but he ran away when faced with SSJ Vegeta.

Come on man, do you think Freeza would haul it to Earth if he wasn't confident that he was stronger than the Goku that beat his rear end and left him to die? And yes Goku got that strong. He went from getting punked by Raditz to punking Nappa in like 2 months (minus about 10 months of cardio).

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

NikkolasKing posted:

Which is why I hate the fact he's had such a negative influence on shounen. So many Goku clones like Naruto or Luffy or Natsu, when we really should be getting more Kenshin's or, hell, even Yusuke's.

Oga from Beelzebub carried that torch.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

WickedHate posted:

Yeah, Goku hogs up way too much spotlight and except for Cell every single arc can be summed up as "hold off until Goku gets here". You can see this really take effect first in the King Piccolo arc when Tien can't even beat Drum.

The Buu saga was set up with it looking like Gohan and the Gotenks duo would be the main characters but it slowly reverted back to the usual formula after a lot of teasing.

Yeah, let this set in: They had to weaken Super Buu just so the series could end in Goku Time.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Blue Star posted:

I've never understood why Bojack is so popular. He's got a really boring character design, and what even is his deal? He's a pirate that was sealed inside King Kai's planet, or some poo poo? Zangya and Bujin were more visually interesting.

He's not. He's just some guy Gohan got to beat the poo poo out of. Hell, I think Zangya's been in more games than Bojack.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

You guys forgot about the first (second) Dragon Ball opening back when it and Sailor Moon were the only anime game in town? And like Rock the Dragon, it's full of clips from random movies and what looks like a Dragon Quest enemy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHIv69nbTfI

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Thyrork posted:

Dont forget Pokemon and Digimon! :allears: ... Terrible times.

I guess there was Saturday night on the sci-fi channel, but some of that wasn't for young teens. Not at all nope. :stare:

It was before even that. It was during the age of "Educational TV" laws making GBS threads up Saturday morning cartoons, which probably let monster-battle anime crap thrive. Fuckin' Dino Babies...

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

visceril posted:

I completely forgot Vegeta did that. I sort of remember him being possessed by Baby, AKA lovely rehash fusion of buy and cell, (why does that keep happening), and I remember the golden oozaru, but I can't remember what ssj4 Vegeta looks like.

All I remember of GT before that was general dildo, and after that 17 becoming jet li's The One, Goku being dumber than usual, then the lovely character designs of the dragons.

Did I miss anything?

The 'stache.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

PiedPiper posted:

(Piccolo mellowed out pretty quickly, though),

You kinda mellow out when you finally kill your arch, even though it's through bullshit.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I guess I'll watch Wrath of the Dragon now, I've never seen it. Considering I've never seen someone put it above even Bio-Broly... this is probably going to hurt.

It's alright until the end. But then again, it was the prequel to GT...

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Shindragon posted:

speaking of Yamacha. They really love making him the punchline anytime they get a chance don't they? He loving got eliminated so quickly. I'm surprised he didn't ya know...FLY just like everyone else did.

He's been that way since he almost got his rear end whupped by a hungry Goku.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Webbeh posted:

That art style... why is everyone glistening?

Ripped men love to glisten.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

WickedHate posted:

It's easily the most boring movie out of the whole lot.

Wasn't it an educational game in Japan? All I remember was that it was on something called the Playdia (love the name).

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

NikkolasKing posted:

I just want a plain old Super Saiyan 1 Pan. Is that too much to frickin' ask?

They don't have the technology for that. You'll get Super Saiyan Nappa and love it. Budokai Tenkaichi 3 has Arale, it's the best.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

crikster posted:

It's the voice, the candy, and the character design that would appeal more to a 2 year old compared to the rest of the series which may be 7yo and up. Listening to Gohan is hard enough although you get used to it. But with Buu, he's like that baby dinosaur on that old dinosaur puppet show on Fox in the mid 90s, "I'mmm the babbbbbbyyyy!!!" It's too cringe inducing to enjoy. I had the same reaction to the fat baby android that accompanied Dr Gero. I wanted to flip off the tv in disgust. I don't like babies! Other than that, my only other complaint was Garlic Jr. He was for sure the worst villain, terrible Emperor Pilaf rip-off.
Thanks though I'll be sure to watch the rest someday but a DBZ marathon starts to be a drag and it's so long I just want it all to be over.

Watch the Japanese version then. He sounds like a Muppet until he gets pissed off. You also get a bonus with "eerie old man" voiced Babadi, and super gay Dabura.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

This just reminded me how much of a dick Gohan was.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Shindragon posted:

Yeah SSJ2 Gohan was basically Vegeta levels of dickery. I mean bastard could've finished off Cell easily when he punched him SO HARD that he went back to his 2nd form.

What does he do instead? Fool around until it's too late. :v:

Let's be fair though, he's been taking poo poo from evil bastards since he was 4 1/2. Now that I say that, when was the last time he won against one of those assholes? Maybe that's what Piccolo taught him to do when he's winning (Mr.Break-your-arms-and-legs-with-rocks).

Rudoku fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 7, 2014

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Darko posted:

Similarly, they have the best artificial human maker in the galaxy on the planet as well.

Senbei Norimaki. He made one robot that makes anything Gero built look like crap. Yes, I'm talking about his Time Slipper.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Is it just the western fanbase that gets wrapped up in literal interpretations of power levels and trying to apply the idea of a "canon" to DB? I don't seem to see it much on the non-english web.

Other countries had a good 10 or so years more than us to get it out of their systems.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

ImpAtom posted:

On the other hand, Vegeta actually does a significantly better job than Goku.

Vegeta didn't get tossed off a cliff as a baby.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

WickedHate posted:

TTAfBH was a rip off of Power Rangers/Super Sentai though, not Kamen Rider.

There's always TMNT: The next mutation. It actually had a Masked Rider cameo.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Factory Factory posted:

What's the problem with Son Goku anyway? It's just his name. Westernize it and it becomes Goku Son. Gohan Son, son of Goku... Son.

It'll always be Mago Gosura to me...

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Shindragon posted:

Not really. I mean, the only thing I remember was the Kai saying that there's no point in going SSJ anymore because Mystic Gohan is his most powerful form.

Hell didn't the movie made him go SSJ? :v:

Old Kai also told Gohan to do that Super Saiyan thing to use his mystic powerup. It just overwrote the blonde.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Blue Star posted:

I don't think Yajirobi was all that strong. He killed Cymbal, but wasn't Cymbal a lot weaker than Tambourine? And part of the reason Tambourine killed Krillen was because he got the drop on him, plus Krillen was still tired from the tournament. So Yajirobi killing Cymbal isn't proof of anything except that he's stronger than average. And as for the short fight between Goku and Yajirobi, Goku didn't seem to be going at it all that hard. But when Tambourine showed up, Goku went all out and killed him easy. I doubt Yajirobi could've done that.

He was still stronger than Tenshinhan for that arc, and that's all that matters.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Zorak posted:

I never quite got how Goku going Super Saiyan 3 somehow made his ghost-time run out quicker as well. Did he have like a set amount of energy he could use or something?

It's obviously an arbitrary cap for the narrative but the justification was off to me.

Yeah. Baba says this when Goku's almost done.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Thyrork posted:

I didn't think DBZ was aimed at kids? :raise:

If :thejoke: then im not sorry, not even abit.

It's for kids, but the kids that watched the non-Kai versions are grown now.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

NikkolasKing posted:

I wonder if TM is one of those shows Toonami ran because they were paid to. It just doesn't seem to fit with what Toonami was going for. It wasn't even the OVAs was it? It was one of the even more RomCom spinoffs like Tenchi in Love or Tenchi in Tokyo right?

They actually ran the OVAs, then Universe, and then Tenchi in Tokyo.

E: poo poo, my first non-broadcast anime was Tenchi in Love (which was about his dead mom being a bigger badass than he'll ever be).

Rudoku fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 10, 2014

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Beef Waifu posted:

Whereas Broly has the capacity for critical thought and coherent speech, Bio-Broly lacks both. This mindlessness, coupled with the clone's retention of his source material's extreme levels of mental instability and rage, results in the clone being akin to a ravenous zombie that will attack anyone in sight.

And it got peed on.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

facebook jihad posted:

See, I've seen the episodes but I just forget. I thought Piccolo was at Kame House and encounters the androids when they finally show up? But Goku should be awake at that point and Vegeta and Trunks should be in the time chamber. So why would the androids be at Kame House if Goku isn't there? That's why this part confuses me because I can't string it together logically.

16 knew that Goku likes to hang out at the Kame House, and never thought about Kami's place (most people don't even know their God was a slug-man on a sky-plate),so they decided to go there.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

KidneyKai posted:

Did he know about the Dragonballs?

Gero was a member of Red Ribbon, and their main goal in DB was to get the Dragon Balls(So the commander could get taller).

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

facebook jihad posted:

Eh...maybe it's just me being influenced by the more serious English dubs, but characters who tried to impale enemies with tree trunks and break children's necks who did poses is a bit of a different scope than 'Burter's mom was really mean that's why he's so fast'. But whatever.

The neck breaker also died with his bare rear end hanging out.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

TriffTshngo posted:

Saiyan + sudden boost in power = egotistical idiot who thinks he's unbeatable

I think the only time this isn't the case in Goku first transforming because he's so consumed with anger for most of the fight.

Nah it was there, too. Why do you think Goku let Freeza go to 100% power? They could've let Gohan be sadistic and win, too. He earned it.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Besides, 17 is the strongest human. If 18 is human enough to pop out a noseless child, 17 counts.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Darko posted:

Vegeta's moustache made sense.

Did Krillin's?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Kild posted:

trick question since neither are human

one has no nose and one has 3 eyes

I dunno. The King of Earth is considered human and he's a talking dog-man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Thyrork posted:

I uh... thought 18 was the strongest? :shobon:

After all, she and 17 arn't androids, there cyborgs! :haw:

17's stronger. The strongest Park Ranger on Earth.

• Locked thread