Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
I could see a bunch of DII and DIII school pulling out, but I think most all of the DI schools people give a poo poo about would be fine. Really (in my opinion) DII and DIII schools shouldn't have football programs anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Idiot Wind posted:

E: VVVVV Getting forced through a degree program to fulfill the requirement to be a student isn't really bettering your life in some cases. The number of unemployed college graduates should be ample evidence that a degree isn't a magic bullet to improve people, but I think I get the point you're making. The non-major sports will suffer too, but I think there's an argument to be made that those don't belong at the university any more than football/basketball do. What's the argument for college athletics in the first place? The gentleman-scholar ideal from three centuries ago? Why should being good at sports give you any sort of leg up at all?

This is basically how I feel. Universities are meant to be institutions for further a persons knowledge. Which has gently caress all to do with how athletically talented a person is. Mixing the two is a strange idea, and in most cases ends up costing most universities far more than it benefits them.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Komet posted:

Hard to say, really. Everyone at Penn State could have transferred in 2012, but only a few did. I think that the sense of community that a football team brings is stronger than the draw of constantly transferring to better teams.

I guess the real fear for smaller colleges would be that star players would gravitate away from them toward programs that maximize their opportunity for success. Average players would stick around sure, but they don't sell as many jerseys/put butts in seats.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

You don't have to make it illegal, you just have to strip away the funding mechanism and go to an all-club model.

The problem is that the two most popular sports -- football and men's basketball -- rely on the NCAA for talent development and every college president in the nation is more than willing to provide this at a detriment to their schools.

Yeah, the real problem is that the schools will never buy into it because the board of directors or whatever would get raked over the coals for it. Any sort of change would have to be forced at the national level, and I doubt enough people really care about the system to escalate the issue to that level.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

kayakyakr posted:

Because the NFL has been unable to establish a developmental league and has been unwilling to bankroll it as it struggles to break even. AFL and Canadian are technically minor leagues, but there isn't a HS to AFL or HS to Canadian path.

To my knowledge the NFL has never really tried to establish a minor league though. They have no reason to really because they can just use the college system for free.

Edit: I think the NFL could absolutely bankroll a minor league if they really wanted too.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

kayakyakr posted:

College Basketball, College Hockey, and College Baseball all exist, are popular, and each of those major leagues runs a minor league system.

NFL had NFL Europe and has worked with many of the minor leagues in the past. They avoid giving any help to any minor league and will happily watch them fail.

HS football is much more popular a spectator sport, though, so there's not much room for people to go watch bad football. College football does make more money too, and the powerbrokers don't want their talent base diluted by minor league NFL teams.

Ah... I misread your post. Yeah, I agree with you. I thought you were implying that the NFL couldn't afford to fund a minor league for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

I'm always skeptical that there's any significant number of guys that can physically compete when they're 19. My gut tells me Jamies Winston would be killed on the field right now.

I think it depends on the position. QBs absolutely need time to grow, but a lot of RBs would probably benefit from having less college wear on their bodies.

• Locked thread