Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Error 404 posted:

An axe kick, in many martial arts, is a type of kick wherein you raise your leg straight up to eye level, and then bring your foot, heel first, down onto your target.

When it hits, it's pretty devastating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bhfPU8v64s

Andy Hug was famous for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

P.d0t posted:

How do goons around here feel about Superior Implement training?
Does it basically qualify as a feat tax?

It's not a feat tax, but at the same time, it's another +1 to hit (because let's face it 90% of implement users will go after the accurate implement). Which in the grand scheme of things is something that most classes will focus on. It's a boring feat, and most likely mandatory, but not always.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

P.d0t posted:

Here's a stupid edge-case question:

Are there any good reasons to pick Half-Elf Past Life as a Revenant?

You don't get a Dilletante power, so Versatile Master is basically useless. You can't take Human or Elf feats. Are there racial paragon paths worth considering?

The Half-Elf Soul Feat from Dragon 376, allows you to get Dilletante, however, the Past Soul feat from Heroes of Shadow somewhat confuse this. If you use the most current version of the feat (from Heroes of Shadow), if you can characterize Dilettante as a racial power, then you can get it, if not, then you can only get Knack for Success.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 9, 2014

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Cerepol posted:

What do I do with a group that's 2 strikers and 2 controllers? Encounter wise they seem to get a bit screwed by everything. Should I just murder one and force a new character?

Echoing "don't murder the PC's", but thankfully every power source has a leader and defender class. Maybe you can convince one if the controllers (both to be honest) to transition into the leader and defender roles respectively, If you find it too difficult to tune the encounters for a leaderless, defenderless party.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

crime fighting hog posted:

Oh man. It can only talk when a string is pulled on its back. Was under experimentation at the base after being found by a mysterious trader. Talks about how a mad wizard captured him many years ago, turning the beholder and other monsters into toys for fun, and to be turned back they need to go find that wizard's lab.

But then the PCs are turned to tiny toys themselves and forced to play a most devious, hellish game...

Dungeons and Dragons 2nd Edition.

I dunno if my players will hate me or enjoy it.

Sort of related, I got my paranoia players to play fiasco under the guise of "an adventure into a holodeck." Although I suppose it helps that paranoia actively supports loving around with the rules.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Started writing up guard powers- mostly fighter rewordings but I have hope that as I get more used to the ad hoc formulae I'll be able to come up with more original ones with similar effects. (I'm trying to simplify some of the weapon specific ones though).

Observation- a lot of fighter powers would be good for a pro wrestler type if you gave them something to bypass the "requires weapon" bit. Feat or class/theme feature? (I'm trying to really limit growth of the former.)

You understand that there is a pro-wrestling class in the game, complete with amazing feat support right?
It's a little out dated, because you should now multi-class monk (The Master of the Fist feat) to get improved unarmed strike (which is +3 prof bonus to hit, instead of spiked guantlets being +2, as well as getting Ki Focuses), but here you go:
http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2690866

You basically hit people with your fists, then hold on to them, then knock them prone. I don't need to tell you how you can describe this in any number of ways via a pro wrestling moveset. Clotheslines, suplexes, piledrivers, powerbombs...it's all there waiting for you to take advantage of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Igui65gY5M

(I used this exact character, plus the monk multiclass. He was Georges St. Pierre, fresh off his knee surgery, waking up in a fantasy land. It was pretty great, and the character itself is a tremendous single target lockdown defender. You are also very, very, accurate.)

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 19, 2014

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

ImpactVector posted:

I did the same thing once, but imagined him more like "Kevin Sorbo as Hercules". Using Dual Strike to knock two dudes' heads together is the best.

I am firmly convinced that the Brawler Fighter is the "best"(TM) character in 4e, just for the amount of goofy poo poo that you can get away with, entirely supported by the ruleset. You want to grab that dragon and piledrive him into the ground? No problem! You want to sit on him, preventing him from standing up, because you're such a supreme badass? gently caress yeah you can!

Take that you stupid caster classes!

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Also the default multiclass monk feat doesn't seem to actually give Unarmed Combatant. I'm going to look closely at those too since I want feats to be way cut back.

Specifically I was thinking Comeback Strike, without a weapon, is basically Hogan hulking out. I'm looking for the best way to present that as an option. (Specifically because in the fluff I've come up with one alien race that resolves political conflicts through what is effectively pro wrestling.)

The monk multiclass feat is "master of the fist" from dragon 404 (I think). It gives unarmed combatant and ki focus prof.

You might want to look at the Gladiator theme, as it has a strong "play to the crowd" feel to it, which is what you're going for vis a vis pro wrestling.

Still, the mechanics for grappling are pretty acceptable in 4e. All you need is a player to buy into the fluff and start bodyslamming fools left and right.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Critical Failures are fun to read about/experience for other people in a schadenfreude sort of way. Like the drunk dwarf monk in a game that critically failed, then rolled poorly on the "Critical Failure table" to determine what happened, and then ended up punching his liver, blowing it out his back.

If you're going to run a slapstick comedy game where characters don't really mean anything? Maybe it's an okay idea. In a somewhat serious game, they are loving stupid as all hell.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

ProfessorCirno posted:

I forget if Emerald Eye is a daily or per-encounter, because if it's the latter, then it's a fantastic Utility because it has both combat and out-of-combat uses.

It's an encounter power, and a minor action. I thought it was pretty good.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Madmarker posted:

Nope, you don't use unarmed strike for anything. Generally speaking your MBA is going to suck.

Internalize the Basic Kata fixed that, I thought. Although it does cost you a feat to do so.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Blue mage :words:

Tricky. I think you would definitely have to plug in your own attack bonus for whatever monster power you're using, and you'd probably want to use standardized-to-PC-maths damage expressions too. Beyond that it's all just monster power effects, and those tend to be less complex than PC powers. It would also be hard to assign encounter or daily limits.

That, or you make up the class like any other, but with a twist on power gaining - there is a list of Blue Mage powers, but you only gain each one after you've witnessed it. The powers are suitable for use by monsters, and you have to have a cooperative DM who regularly adds Blue Mage powers to his monsters' repertoire. It would be sort of a gamechanger, quite literally, but potentially very interesting.

The gimmick of the blue mage is that they, over time gather an eclectic multitude of powers, which contradicts the very tight ADEU system of 4e. Either you could just reskin the standard mage/arcanist and get your regular level powers after observing a bad guy (and you also conveniently level up), or allow the player to swap to the elemental aspect of enemy spells after being hit by them.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Mcguffin, not mulligan. :eng101:

Edit: one's the Maltese falcon, the other's what you do when you shank your drive off the tee box. :v:

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 8, 2015

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Pfox posted:

Helping a a poor poster with grammar rather than fulfilling the quest? Truly, you are the hero of heroes!

I'm not an ideas guy, I'm more of a Mechanics guy. I'm trying to help anyway I can. :unsmith:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Seriously, with the barest minimum of your other players not being complete selfish assholes (read: you have a striker with a good MBA), the Warlord is a ridiculously powerful class.

If you have an entire party of greatbow rangers and spellblades (the arcane defender), then yes, a Warlord is sub optimal. And even then they are still pretty great.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Khizan posted:

That kind of player drives me crazy. "I'm making an intentionally lovely character to see how well I do with it!" The answer is always going to be "lovely" in a game like this because you can't out-skill math.

I knew a player like this. Played an Elf Seeker with a tremendous amount of "save my own rear end" powers. It was brutal, as the only thing that he could do which was really cool was the level 3 swap the place of two dudes shot (and then daze them if both shots hit).

gently caress seekers.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

alcharagia posted:

That's pretty beast ngl

There are way better themes. Off the top of my head, any melee striker that doesn't have a minor action attack should pick up Sohei. Ironwrought is a good defender theme, fey beast master is a pet perk done right, and red wizard is a controller mage's wet dream.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

ImpactVector posted:

I'll second this. I got to play a brawler for all of one session, but it was a blast pretending to be "Hercules as played by Kevin Sorbo" (Dual Attack is slamming dudes' heads together).

I was also having fun as a Cleric|Wrathvoker priest of Lathander avatar of disco. Shoot lasers from your fingers and (literally) stun everyone with the power of your dance moves.

3rding this, I played a brawler fighter who was "welterweight ufc champion Georges St. Pierre who woke up post knee surgery in a strange land a la John Carter of Mars", and it was tremendously fun to punch and kick (and double leg) everything, all the time.

Doing the "stranger in a strange land" thing was also super fun too.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I watched a ton of tuf when he coached, so I even got the accent down right. One of the other characters was a Psionic class, who provided translation to the group. It was pretty great.

Edit: he wore a gi (refluffed scale armor) and since he was coming off knee surgery, he wasn't as mobile (hence the -1 speed that scale armor provided). It was a very fun character to have all of the mechanical and flavour bits line up.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 31, 2015

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Kurieg posted:

My brain parsed this as "Stinger in a strange land" at first.

It still worked.

If I ever get a chance to play 4e again, I'm doing this character again, except as either hulk hogan, macho man Randy savage, or the Rock.

Just lean into the over the top nature of the brawler fighter.

...And people still hate on 4e. Shameful.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Section Z posted:

I'm sure there are more optimal feats for Rouges, but I like "Cunning Stalker". Which gives you Combat Advantage against any enemy you are the only creature next to (enemy or ally). So you can challenge someone to a duel and still use sneak attacks on them instead of needing flanking or status effect fuckery.

Frost cheese is the most reliable way to get CA for rogues. Frost weapon + lasting Frost(? A paragon feat that hands out front vulnerability) + permafrost(? Gain ca against Frost vulnerable enemies) is the best way. You also increase your damage out put too.

Until paragon tier, though, that's not a bad way to get ca. Although rogues are a touch squishy, which can get you into trouble.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

a level 2 pixie (or revenant that was a pixie in life) with 20 in their primary and a +3 prof weapon, streak of light, an expertise feat and the +1 from inherent bonuses gets a +14 when charging, meaning that they can hit an at level enemy on anything but a 1. With a free expertise feat they can also pick up nimble blade if they're dex based, which gets them up to +15 on a charge. If they're a thief they can pop backstab for +18 on a charge, meaning they hit a level 5 enemy 95% of the time at level 2. So, uhh, I think that's the earliest you can do it, though I'm not a charop master.

edit: A level 1 pixie scout with streak of light can get +13 to hit a large or bloodied enemy on a charge, so there's a way to do it at level 1 though it's conditional.

Brawler fighters get an automatic +2 enchantment bonus at level 1. If that helps.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I think No luck needed is just proof that playing bad RPG systems eventually gives you Elfgame-PTSD. Only with years of therapy and a good counsellor, can you overcome your addiction to versimilitude, charts, and Thac0. It's not his fault he's a lovely DM, all of his experiences have led him to this point. Just feel sorry for him.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

My Dark Sun group unlocked Divine classes when they accidentally woke the gods up, after inadvertently letting Dregoth ascend. They killed off Raam's sorcerer-queen and left it undefended; Dregoth brought up his zombie and dragonborn legions, the streets were awash in blood, and he became a god.

It was a pretty rad game.

Seems like a fair trade for Clerics. Holy poo poo, does that sound awesome. Was there a "well, at least you can create divine classes now" after the apocalypse was unleashed?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Pharmaskittle posted:

My happiest gamma world moment was the dm mispronouncing a monster power "wing buffet" like an all you can eat spread rather than as an attack.

The paranoia rpg did this (on purpose) with one of their presence characters. The character in question had a high skill in "Marital Arts".

:v:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

fatherdog posted:

I can't even tell what they were trying to do with the bladesinger.

Striker wizard? Controller melee wizard? It's a bad class.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Artemis Entrei!!!! :argh:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Unknown Quantity posted:

So, legit question: what's the most commonly accepted interpretation of how Unarmed Strikes and Ki Foci work for monks, and the whole weapons-as-implements thing? Because I'm wondering how far behind I'd fall behind the curve for just using my fists or some wrist wrappings and womping on stuff? This is assuming no Inherent Bonuses.

The real issue you have is that ki focuses are not so great as implements for the monk (who is a goofy aoe striker, save for the desert wind version, who has to end up abusing a particular blade enchantment to get good damage).

They also have really good defences, thanks to being Dex primary, so they play sort of like a off defender off striker hybrid.

Just use whatever the best implement is and reflavour it. Just tell the rest of the group and dm that you're hitting the monster like this:
http://i.imgur.com/QJ29INU.gif

(which is some of the most beautiful real world striking I've ever seen in my life).

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Unknown Quantity posted:

I would totally be willing to reflavor an Accurate dagger implement as a claw and just be Vega. That said, assuming I don't know if I'll have access to specific gear or get beyond heroic, what traditions should I be looking at?

Traditions? Do you mean paragon paths? Monk Powers?

EDIT: By going strictly barehanded, you miss out on Starblade Flurry at paragon, which is absolutely nuts for a monk of any stripe.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 18, 2017

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

So it looks like I'm getting sucked into playing X-Crawl (https://x-crawl-4e.obsidianportal.com/), which means that I need to get the character builder & CBloader back.

Does anyone know how to get it at this point? :allears:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Spiteski posted:

I certainly wouldnt be someone to PM about that. No sir-ee

Alas, my kingdom for a horse!

EDIT: I have a horse now.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 9, 2017

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

In Gardmore Abbey news, my party has latched on to the idea that the abbey's downfall was caused by one of the items that are simply sidequest macguffins. I have no idea where they might have picked this up. At least they're getting a plot twist out of it?

You know you're basically obligated to do this now, right?

It's a two way street - if your players are convinced that one of the non-important macguffins is important, I'd run with it.

You don't have to beat them over the head with it, but it's a neat touch that the players "intuition" (read: inability to maintain remember plot) is rewarded. Now they are super engaged because they managed to solve the mystery.

Unless this is impossible for this campaign (because the source of corruption is something else, and can only be something else due to other clues pointing it in that direction), roll with your players "suggestions".

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

This is great advice.

I'm not gonna take credit, I'm just repeating what Chris Perkins told me. He often says that he's listening to the banter between his PC's for plot hooks in his stories, as often the PC's (who are paranoid murder hobos, let's face it) will come up with something far more complicated and crazy that what the DM has in mind. And let's be serious, if the worst fears of the PC group are realized, you've got a tremendous hook for them to stay interested and engaged.

Which is (in my opinion) the goal of this poo poo in the first place.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I mean, if you're not setting entire storylines up for a pun payoff like an episode of Aesop and Son, what's the point, really.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Have a look at owlbear.rodeo. It's very lightweight and basic, but it's pretty easy to get up and running and not intimidating.

I don't know if it would be good for 4e, but I use it for mechwarrior: destiny (a much more narrative, collaborative game) and it works fine.

(and it's free!)

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

Are there any good resources for learning how to add custom items to the offline CB? We accidentally created an artifact and I would like to represent it, with its component powers, on a character sheet. I'd love to be able to edit it directly into the sheet .dnd4e file's XML, but it looks like items there just reference the individual item data, so I'm thinking I'll have to edit/create an item .part file.

Yeah, you'll have to create a part file to merge into the database, or you can just insert it into an existing part file (I think).

What does it do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

One question, since I remember you did a lot of stuff with CBLoader back when it first came out. What triggers it to rebuild the database on load? I ran into an issue for a bit where it wouldn't recognize my debugging tweaks until I renamed the .part file.

I want to say that you need to increase the version number somewhere? The merger checks for version numbers? I could be wildly off.

I hate to say, it's been so long since I've touched the builder that I've basically forgotten all this. :smith:

I just have this thread bookmarked :effort: